• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    what is this post and why did my eyes read it

Scooter on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The power to tell when your significant other is about to break up with you and the speed to break up with her/him just before it happens.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    handersonhanderson Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    what if you had the power to digest anything you could fit in your mouth but your weekness was jello that would suck...i love jello

handerson on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    the power to compose poor quality ring tones in seconds. The only issue: you can always hear them in your mind...

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How about the power to move you.

Tach on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    Tach wrote:

i totally didn't do that joke already

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Tach wrote:

i totally didn't do that joke already
    Plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

Tach on
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    The power to tell when your significant other is about to break up with you and the speed to break up with her/him just before it happens.

That would be a useful ability.

Now, what would make it suck is that if it gave a false-positive 50% of the time, but you knowit's always 100% right.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    ShiftyEyedDogShiftyEyedDog Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    I think the ability to turn a shade of light blue would be pretty lame. Though it would easily express your feelings of shame at having such a suck-tastic power.

ShiftyEyedDog on
    Cake or death?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The ability to commune with animals. Unfortunately all the animals you can communicate with have recently become extinct. However a secondary aspect of your power is that you can communicate with related animals to an extent. Your ability to communicate with the animals is hampered by the fact that you can't understand what these animals are saying, and the only comprehensible thing you can say to them involves the animals equivalents of 'dinner and taxidermy', and the phrase 'your mom was a slut'. That's Great Lakes Champion material right there.

Malkor on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    The ability to commune with animals. Unfortunately all the animals you can communicate with have recently become extinct. However a secondary aspect of your power is that you can communicate with related animals to an extent. Your ability to communicate with the animals is hampered by the fact that you can't understand what these animals are saying, and the only comprehensible thing you can say to them involves the animals equivalents of 'dinner and taxidermy', and the phrase 'your mom was a slut'. That's Great Lakes Champion material right there.

Hey. Hey.

The Great Lakes Champions are the world's greatest heroes.

You shut your mouth.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Has someone already made the requisite Aquaman jokes in this thead?

Hensler on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Has someone already made the requisite Aquaman jokes in this thead?

Yes, and they have been put in their place because Aquaman has badass powers.

He doesn't talk to fish. He commands them.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Because commanding fish is somehow badass.

If Squirel Girl is a joke because she can command squirels, then Aquaman is too if gets to command tuna, ect.

Just saying

Anyway, it would be kinda neat, but still lame to be able to shoot lazers out of your eyes. Not "concusive force blasts" but actual lazers. Like the kind your boss uses at power point presentations.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aquaman's powers have massive dickery potential.

ARMY OF SHARKS

and Squirrel Girl has the secret power to WIN.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aquaman also has the power to fuck with the part of the human mind that comes from fish. That has come in handy.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Because commanding fish is somehow badass.

If Squirel Girl is a joke because she can command squirels, then Aquaman is too if gets to command tuna, ect.

Just saying

Anyway, it would be kinda neat, but still lame to be able to shoot lazers out of your eyes. Not "concusive force blasts" but actual lazers. Like the kind your boss uses at power point presentations.

He commands ALL ocean life. Or wait, no, all life that exists in the water. Plankton to blue whales. All of it.

He will command a shark to rip your balls off.

Or, if on land, he will use his vast, vast superhuman strength to straight up snap you in half like a twig.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MadJackMadJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i realy hate the millions versions of superman. ::sigh:: its just like okay your superbad ass...

MadJack on
    forumsig.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Because he has "super strength" he's a version of Superman?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Isn't every hero a version of Superman in some sense?

Batman is the anti-version. Spider-man is the everyman version. The X-Men are the flawed and "more human than humans" version.

All the classic superheroes are riffs off each other in some way (not least because they were all originally developed by different companies all competing by creating characters that were similar, but not too similar).

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    He commands ALL ocean life. Or wait, no, all life that exists in the water. Plankton to blue whales. All of it.

Or, if on land, he will use his vast, vast superhuman strength to straight up snap you in half like a twig.

Hey, that’s another lame power! The ability to beat up an average guy! Also, you know what beats the "shark-ball-bite" command? Not swimming at the beach. I get that you don't like people ripping on Aquaman. I really do. But seriously, if you hold him to the same standards as any other DC super hero he fails.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:

Hey, that’s another lame power! The ability to beat up an average guy! Also, you know what beats the "shark-ball-bite" command? Not swimming at the beach. I get that you don't like people ripping on Aquaman. I really do. But seriously, if you hold him to the same standards as any other DC super hero he fails.

I bet your only experience with Aquaman was Challenge of the Superfriends, wasn't it?

Just explain to the folks here why he fails. Please. I want to hear it. I crave it. And I swear to christ if you mention that "lolz Superman can't fight bank robbers" Im blowing this place to hell. Keith knows what Im talking about.

Two days in and you're already doin' fine son. Doin' fine.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In the latest New X-Men, their interviewing possible teammates. One kid has a flaming skull - and the fact that his power makes him useless for stealth missions. I <3 New X-Men.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like how Aquaman can kill nearly anyone with his telepathy, or at least make them feel intense pain.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Just explain to the folks here why he fails. Please. I want to hear it. I crave it.

He just isn't in the same power bracket. Telling whales to ram a boat isn't even close to what any other JLA member can do.

Put him side by side with any of them.
    Supes: Can't lose
    WW: Better fighter, probably stronger, access to better equipment
    GL: the ring can over match anything AM has
    Plas: Apparently can't lose to anyone, even if he doesn't win.
    MM: Supes + mind control
    Flash: I honestly don't know how a strait fight would go, but breaking the laws of physics is still a more generally useful power than generic super strength and an army of sharks.
    Bats: also can't lose (even though he probably should, no way would a writer be allowed to put out a story where AM trounces Bats. Time to prepare and all)

Arthur compares better to many b-list characters than I gave him credit for, I'll admit that. Green Arrow, Hawkman, the bat-family et al. are less powerful. but even on the b-list you have characters that are stronger/have better powers: Firestorm, New BlueBeatle, Zatanna.

Admittedly I'm ignoring the idea that he can mind control people due to some kind of fish brain hold over because (imo) that reads more like an attempt to get the property respect so as to boost sales, rather than something that makes sense for the character.

Now, I'm not saying you can't like the guy because he isn't top-shelf power level. Look at the Question. We all love the Question. All I'm asking for is that he be judged on his merits rather than on how long he has been around.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Just explain to the folks here why he fails. Please. I want to hear it. I crave it.

He just isn't in the same power bracket. Telling whales to ram a boat isn't even close to what any other JLA member can do.

Flash: I honestly don't know how a strait fight would go, but breaking the laws of physics is still a more generally useful power than generic super strength and an army of sharks.
    Bats: also can't lose (even though he probably should, no way would a writer be allowed to put out a story where AM trounces Bats. Time to prepare and all)

Arthur compares better to many b-list characters than I gave him credit for, I'll admit that. Green Arrow, Hawkman, the bat-family et al. are less powerful. but even on the b-list you have characters that are stronger/have better powers: Firestorm, New BlueBeatle, Zatanna.

Admittedly I'm ignoring the idea that he can mind control people due to some kind of fish brain hold over because (imo) that reads more like an attempt to get the property respect so as to boost sales, rather than something that makes sense for the character.

Now, I'm not saying you can't like the guy because he isn't top-shelf power level. Look at the Question. We all love the Question. All I'm asking for is that he be judged on his merits rather than on how long he has been around.
    Man, Aquaman has scared Batman. How many people can say that?

Not very many.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Snoogy wrote:

Okay, here's the problem:
    Arthur is as strong as superman, basically, and tends to use his magic hand that can do pretty much anything. He can travel in water as fast as superman can fly, which is a pro when he's protecting his kingdom, which happens to be underwater. His telepathy thing makes complete sense if you would actually read comics and not just go by the superfriends version.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thank you. Beat me to it.

Plus, you're calling Jaime Reyes B-list? Yikes. He's not that good...yet.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The real question: is this guy an idiot, or a troll?

Unless the creators go out of their way to make something stupid, pretty much any power can be a good one.

Other than maybe this guy:
    Captain Marvel was the title character in a short-lived title published by Myron Fass' M.F. Comics in 1966, shortly before the Marvel Comics version debuted. He had no genuine connection to the classic Fawcett character, but invoked his powers by shouting the word "SPLIT!" When he did, his android body dissolved into its component head, torso, and limbs, which then operated coordinately. The title remains one of the most derided of the Silver Age.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I’m just pointing out that AM's power level has only ramped up in recent years as a transparent response to public ridicule. If you like the stories they use him in, great. But even if that is the case, you have to admit that he doesn’t have as generally useful a power set as the other DC characters, save only the ones that have been given to him for the reason I just mentioned.

I’ll say it again: I’m not saying “Don’t like Aquaman”. I am saying that he isn’t on the same level as the other marquee DC guys

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The power to harness the combined might of every ludcirous, baseless, inflamatory, flimsy, and trivial argument from every forum on the internet.

That jerks and jerkettes is what we call social commentary.

Malkor on
  • Options
    OverlardOverlard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Not very many.
    Aquaman scared Batman? How? Did he use a Joker puppet or something? :?

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Overlard wrote:

Not very many.
    I can't remeber the name of the series(Someone help me out) but Batman was diving down in his bat-sub really fucking deep. Picks up something on the bat-sonar and he's like "It's too deep for life that size. Too dee-" and then Aquaman appears infront of the sub scaring the crap out of Bats. It might have been their first meeting, not in comics history but in a retcon of some sort.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aquaman once nearly drowned Superman when he was kinda miffed,\.

He was drowning him with his hand.

And he wasn't even really trying.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aquaman controls the largest amount of life on earth; he rules over the largest nation in the world; his nation posesses the most advanced military of the world, in numbers great enough to pretty much kill every surface-dweller, superhumans included; he is strong enough to lift a city block, and has always been much, much stronger than the normal person and even the average superhuman, except for the Golden Age when all he did WAS talk to fish; he can swim faster than the speed of sound; and everybody in the JLA generally regards him as one of their most able and hardcore members.

The only other person to ever scare Batman is Vandal Savage, an immortal, cannibalistic genius.

Aquaman is fucking awesome, and you guys are dumb and stuff.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Overlard wrote:

Not very many.
    I can't remeber the name of the series(Someone help me out) but Batman was diving down in his bat-sub really fucking deep. Picks up something on the bat-sonar and he's like "It's too deep for life that size. Too dee-" and then Aquaman appears infront of the sub scaring the crap out of Bats. It might have been their first meeting, not in comics history but in a retcon of some sort.

I believe you're talking about a scene in Trinity, by Matt Wagner.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In JLA: Earth-2, Aquaman straight up destroys the Crime Syndicate's version of Green Lantern.

He just fucking skewers the guy's wrist with his harpoon like it ain't no thing but a chicken wing, and then he punches the guy out.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    VerdancyVerdancy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The whole Aquaman is lame argument kinda dries up when you point out he's basically a more powerful version of Namor. Admitedly in context there are more super-strong characters in the DCU, but there are also less hyper-technologically powered nations on earth, I'd say it swings in Aquaman's favour at least.

Also I think Snoogy's main problem here is limiting the "A-list" characters to the standard JLA set up. He's personally outclassed by them, but still very much a top-tier hero, better than most of the rotating JLA and JSA members. Plus, he was at one point probably the ruler of the most or second most (Themyscira might give it a run for it's money) powerful nation on earth.

I gotta agree that some of the changes made to him seem to have been done to get over his old "useless" image (esp. the telepathy thing) but they weren't really necessary.

Verdancy on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I heard a report that within 50 years the worlds oceans will no longer produce fish.

Enjoy it while you can Aquaman! Soon the surface dwellers will destroy you and your little fishies too!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I know Aquaman is technically more powerful than Namor, but Namor would totally kick his ass.

Aquaman is awesome, but Namor is Namor.

Mai-Kero on