As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    how was it?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's the best thing Mark Millar has ever written

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I want to read of all this Millar's Marvel Mega-Event some time, but what I heard kind of threw me for a loop.
    Is the Hooded Man really
    Wolverine?

The guy who is the big huge bad guy, who was Doom's teacher or whatever is really that guy? Or am I confusing things?

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Nah

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2008
    I want to read of all this Millar's Marvel Mega-Event some time, but what I heard kind of threw me for a loop.
    Is the Hooded Man really
    Wolverine?

The guy who is the big huge bad guy, who was Doom's teacher or whatever is really that guy? Or am I confusing things?

I think you are confusing things a little. You're mixing up stuff that we actually know from reading the story with vague hints Millar has given in interviews about stuff that hasn't actually been revealed yet.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

After Wanted.

Crimsondude on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    crimsondude

come on now crimson dude

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how you can rank 1985 above Red Son, or even Old Man Logan.

I mean, we've seen stories about superheroes or some other fantastic thing invading the "real world" before, and I don't really know what sets Millar's story apart beyond rampant fatalities.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Old Man Logan is going to be more than the sum of it's parts, even though it has some slow spots, but I'm really hoping the ending doesn't try to tie in too much to
    The hooded man shit.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Old Man Logan is going to be more than the sum of it's parts, even though it has some slow spots, but I'm really hoping the ending doesn't try to tie in too much to
    The hooded man shit.
    I didn't read 1985 or the current FF run beyond scans, so I have no idea what this Hooded Man thing is past the fact that Old Man Logan gets even older, raises a Banner baby, and then puts on a hood. What's wrong with that?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not much, given, I just don't want a whole epilogue of sorts wasted on how Logan gets older and puts on a hood. Actually, I guess that's not that bad. I guess I don't know what my beef was.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how you can rank 1985 above Red Son, or even Old Man Logan.

I mean, we've seen stories about superheroes or some other fantastic thing invading the "real world" before, and I don't really know what sets Millar's story apart beyond rampant fatalities.

Well I'm biased because Secret Wars and 80s Marvel is what got me into comics, so 1985 is pretty much a love letter aimed directly at me.

I've said in here before that it was like Millar was writing it for me personally

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Nah
    dude it pretty much is

like Red Son was good but his is just damn

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Nah
    dude it pretty much is

Did you also read lots of '80s Marvel?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008

Nah
    dude it pretty much is

Nah

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nah
    dude it pretty much is

Did you also read lots of '80s Marvel?
    none whatsoever

Sars_Boy on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Millar/JRJR run of WOLVERINE is the best thing Millar has ever written, but mainly because JRJR drew it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    none whatsoever

Why do you like it better, then?

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As someone that did read a lot of Marvel's 80's output (in fact, short of some of the New Universe titles, I think I've read everything Marvel put out in that decade), I didn't find much of a relation between that material and 1985.

But then, 1985 isn't really a story about Marvel characters, now is it?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Millar/JRJR run of WOLVERINE is the best thing Millar has ever written, but mainly because JRJR drew it.

i did a quick google search and it came up with 'enemy of the state'. do you mean this? im looking for afew wolverine books to get into lately.

edit:uggh. worst top of the page ever.

Pompa on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That was Millar... but it wasn't the best thing he's written. I can't even see it being in my Top 5 of his work. Everyone's got their own opinion and all, but I don't think so. It was good though, not saying it wasn't.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited November 2008
    Enemy of the State was good

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    enemy of the state was ridiculous

didn't wolverine kill close to a million people in that?

like literally a million people, they gave the numbers and everything.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure an entire issue of that arc was dedicated to him and Elektra murdering a never ending horde of Hand ninjas

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Legally, ninjas aren't people.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Enemy of the State was good

I hated that Wolverine was played as some nigh unstoppable killing machine. There's no shortage of people that should have been able to put the hairy canuck down.

Plus Millar gave Spot, Slyde, and Hornet throwaway deaths, which was totally uncool.

Munch on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, two or three guys could have gotten together and easily beat Wolverine. Someone to fight him on the ground and get him out into a clearing, a flyer with a ranged weapon and someone to put him in stasis. Hell, Iron Man or Mach whatever and Iceman could beat him, or at least stop him and keep him frozen until someone undid the mumbojumbo that turned him on his allies.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    At least Slyde and Spot came back. Hornet's still dead, but I doubt we'll ever see a Slingers reunion anyway.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    Was there a reason why a bunch of street-level vigilantes and unexperienced superheroes had to fight Wolverine? An actual in story reason. Were the X-men and the Avengers and everyone who stood a chance against him all off-Earth or something?

DouglasDanger on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lex Luthor can craft mighty robots fueled by kryptonite radiation - why can't he cure his own baldness? He's vain, right?

emnmnme on
    edited November 2008
    Maybe he prefers baldness, like Bruce Willis or Grant Morrison. I think he has more important things to worry about, like how to get humanity out of Superman's thrall. The damn alien bastard!

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    Was there a reason why a bunch of street-level vigilantes and unexperienced superheroes had to fight Wolverine? An actual in story reason. Were the X-men and the Avengers and everyone who stood a chance against him all off-Earth or something?

He attacked them, not the other way around

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    And noone called for help or anything? I just find a lot of Enemy of the State really hard to believe.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    well I'm not really sure that Spot and whoever else have the Avengers or X-Men on speed dial

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    I just can't believe SHIELD doesn't track someone as potentially dangerous as Wolverine constantly, even if he were friends with Fury. Hell, Wolverine should have an entire department or detachment or something, watching him constantly. The same group could keep tabs on Sabertooth.

Or that none of his friends/team mates got freaked out when Wolverine didn't return calls and go looking for him.

I don't want to pull a mattharvest though, so I'm going to drop it.

DouglasDanger on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well I'm not really sure that Spot and whoever else have the Avengers or X-Men on speed dial

I'm pretty sure Shield/Electra/whoever could have figured out a way to get ahold of them. Maybe by telegraph or something. Or maybe, being the premier spy/police organization in the MU, they could find a phone number. Or something. Really now.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited November 2008
    SHIELD eventually did, he just managed to kill some people first

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Lex Luthor can craft mighty robots fueled by kryptonite radiation - why can't he cure his own baldness? He's vain, right?

Because he has red hair and baldness is preferable

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because he has red hair and baldness is preferable

Poor Keith.

Munch on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The What If? Enemy of the State is magnitudes more ridiculous than Millar's (which isn't that bad).

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.