As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forkes wrote: »
    So my question is...

Does crying at the end of We3 make me less of a man?

No. It's like the Voight-Kampf test. If you cry, you're human. If you don't, you're made of stone and need to be turned into gravel.

Crimsondude on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    There was one thing I didn't get about We3.
    If I'm remembering correctly, it's made out to be something of a big deal that the cybernetics in the animals can't be removed without killing them. So when they're ordered decommissioned, the woman doctor has no choice but to let them go with all their tech enhancements still in place.

Then at the end of a book some hobo with a pair of pliers removes all the shit that was in them, rendering them normal, happy animals again.

It's still a good book, and Quitely kills on the art, but the first time I read it I was kind of puzzled at the happy, feel-good ending.
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed, especially after everyone here saying it was so sad.

I have no soul, I guess.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    If I'm remembering correctly, it's made out to be something of a big deal that the cybernetics in the animals can't be removed without killing them. So when they're ordered decommissioned, the woman doctor has no choice but to let them go with all their tech enhancements still in place.

Then at the end of a book some hobo with a pair of pliers removes all the shit that was in them, rendering them normal, happy animals again.

It's still a good book, and Quitely kills on the art, but the first time I read it I was kind of puzzled at the happy, feel-good ending.
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed, especially after everyone here saying it was so sad.

I have no soul, I guess.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I thought she was ordered to kill the animals, and chose to release them instead.

DouglasDanger on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    All I really know about Ghost Rider is from the movie and the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game. He seems like a cool character; are there any definitive stories I should check out?

The Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation mini by Garth Ennis is pretty much the best Ghost Rider story I have read.

After you've read that get Vicious Cycle, which is the first trade of the current series and is also excellent. The rest of the current series is kind've mediocre until Jason Aaron took over, which was at something like issu #17 I think.

If you thought the cowboy Ghost Rider in the movie was cool you should probably also read Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears which is a cool old west take on GR by the same team who did Road to Damnation.

Also Road to Damnation has a demon pretending to be a redneck and singing Ghost Riders in the Sky which cracks me up every time I read it

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I believe they just want to kill the animals and don't give the option of removing anything. Also, because of the cybernetics, they need special medicine to live, which was going to kill them anyway. That might be what you're thinking of.

JoeUser on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just picked up the first Preacher trade...

Are they all as good as the first one?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forkes wrote: »
    I just picked up the first Preacher trade...

Are they all as good as the first one?

Much better actually. I really liked the first one, but the second and third sold me on Preacher being one of my favorite titles.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What are some good Iron Man trades around the $20-$25 range. I already have Extremis, I've been picking up the new Invincible series since it started and I've read through most of Director of SHIELD.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    What are some good Iron Man trades around the $20-$25 range. I already have Extremis, I've been picking up the new Invincible series since it started and I've read through most of Director of SHIELD.

You could just continue off from Extremis and get the ones that follow:

Execute Program
    Civil War: Iron Man
    Director of SHIELD
    Haunted

Also, 2 issues between DoS and Haunted were World War Hulk Tie-Ins. You can find them in the WWH: X-Men trade.

Also a new trade Director of S. H. I. E. L. D. -- with Iron Hands comes out soon.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Execute Program
    Director of SHIELD
    Haunted

Also, 2 issues between DoS and Haunted were World War Hulk Tie-Ins. You can find them in the WWH: X-Men trade.

Also a new trade Director of S. H. I. E. L. D. -- with Iron Hands comes out soon.

Don't forget Iron Man:Hypervelocity, my favorite Iron Man story.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008

Execute Program
    Director of SHIELD
    Haunted

Don't forget Iron Man:Hypervelocity, my favorite Iron Man story.

....and added to the amazon wish list. sweet.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked the Iron Man movie so much that some times I think about buying a bunch of Iron Man trades but I always stop myself. I think I like the idea of Iron Man better than I like actually reading Iron Man.

Rans on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, like there's no definitive Iron Man, really. I dug him in Ultimates and in Amazing Spider-man, but what I want is a damned good Iron Man story that has nothing to do with -insert annual mega-event here-, him getting some lame-assed techno virus superpowers, or him having brain cells in his ass to justify alcoholism.
    Here's hoping someone can correct me.

Speaking of Scott Card, has anyone been reading the Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow comics? How are they?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    extremis is a pretty great iron man story

how is it being wrong

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    I found the extremis virus to be too hard to swallow on multiple levels...
    ...I found his blatant refusal to alert any other heroes of the threat to be much more irresponsible than i find the character to be, I would have preferred them just not mention the other heroes at all...

...and I'm opposed to previously unpowered heroes gaining powers.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited December 2008
    ...I found his blatant refusal to alert any other heroes of the threat to be much more irresponsible than i find the character to be, I would have preferred them just not mention the other heroes at all...
    well you see the thing about that is that it's an iron man story

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    right, which is why i would have preferred them not mention external heroes
    "why not call the avengers and notify them of this threat to the whitehouse?"

"because I would rather gamble on a one-to-a-million shot that subjecting me to this fluke experiment will give me an arbitrary set of superpowers strong enough to deal with the threat myself."

I think avoiding that conversation altogether would've improved the book- considering it's an iron man story

ManonvonSuperock on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That doesn't mean it should be implausible.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Although I guess all comics are implausible. But there's LEVELS of implausibilty,

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

yeah! fuck a virus that gives you superpowers!

you should get your superpowers the traditional way, iron pants- irradiated insect bites

so deliciously plausible

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    right, which is why i would have preferred them not mention external heroes
    "why not call the avengers and notify them of this threat to the whitehouse?"

"because I would rather gamble on a one-to-a-million shot that subjecting me to this fluke experiment will give me an arbitrary set of superpowers strong enough to deal with the threat myself."

I think avoiding that conversation altogether would've improved the book- considering it's an iron man story

How about the fact that Tony is an overconfident jackass that couldn't foresee his idea failing so he didn't bother contacting anyone else?

smokmnky on
    edited December 2008
    it's only overconfidence if the idea fails

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    True, I just found the story to completely capture Tony's personality that it didn't bother me that he didn't call in any other heroes.

smokmnky on
    edited December 2008
    stark seems more like more of a "no, babe. i've got this" guy to me than instead of a "it's my fight, my responsibility" dude, which if i recall correctly is what he pulled.

Admittedly, I expect a touch more plausibility in modern comics than in the old stan lee-era. And its not the fact that it came from a virus, its the fact that the virus reacted so differently with him than with the dude before him.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited December 2008
    he programed it too

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    stark seems more like more of a "no, babe. i've got this" guy to me than instead of a "it's my fight, my responsibility" dude, which if i recall correctly is what he pulled.

Admittedly, I expect a touch more plausibility in modern comics than in the old stan lee-era. And its not the fact that it came from a virus, its the fact that the virus reacted so differently with him than with the dude before him.

i honestly don't remember what powers (if any) the bad guy displayed other than super strength and a healing factor. does he do any of the technopath stuff that stark does? i'd be willing to believe that a guy as smart and tech savvy as tony would figure out other things the virus could do before some revenge-crazed serb (why do i think the bad guy was serbian?)

edit- ah, stark messed with it? there you are then.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    He breathed fire.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    oh man, really? i should pull that out and reread it.

actually, i just watched iron man this weekend and it got me in the mood to look at some excellent adi granov art anyway

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    yeah I wish tony had left that part in

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2008
    He ran several hundred miles an hour and was a white supremacist McVeigh-type. His first act is to destroy the FBI field office in Houston by throwing the guards' guns through themselves and then setting the building on fire.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2008
    maybe he did and only uses it to cook hot dogs.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    he did alter the program, but only in the brief time that the chick went to the bathroom or whatever.

Iron man, like Batman is appealing because it is a tale of human achievement, the more superhuman stuff going on in their world, the less appealing the stories tend to be. I don't know, it may have gotten more entertaining after the first trade, but I haven't read past it, except for the civil war tie-ins.

I do dig Granov's artwork, though. The story was entertaining enough- don't get me wrong, but I just don't find it a definitive Iron Man story. I came across this lately when a friend of mine that's not really into comics watched the movie and wanted to read some comics. I've yet to find comics that have done the character that well outside of Ultimates.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited December 2008
    I thought the one shot that was included in the Haunted trade was pretty damn cool.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    maybe he did and only uses it to cook hot dogs.

he left it out just in case he fell off the wagon

firebreathing and alcohol do not mix

DJ Eebs on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One of my former room mates had a bunch of old Iron Man issues from the 90s. I read most of them. Not very good at all.

I'd say that Matt Fraction's current Iron Man is probably the best the character has seen in a long time. Maybe ever. I agree that most of the best Iron Man moments are not from his solo books. They are from major events and super team stories.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2008
    Did he have #300(?) which was chromium covered and contained him rewriting his body's "operating system" while bedridden? He then uses his new remote piloted armor to fuck up some attackers. That was when I stopped. But I heard it got so much worse later.

Crimsondude on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I read stuff from that point, where he was bedridden and piloting the suit by remote control. Funnily enough I believe his main issue was response time from the suit... which is pretty much the same problem he has in Extremis.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Question: I have never read powers. I've heard it's good. What is good about it? What is it like?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited December 2008
    Law & Order: Superhero Crimes Unit

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Question: I have never read powers. I've heard it's good. What is good about it? What is it like?

It is fun. Interesting characters. If you like detective/CSI/Courtroom Drama shows it is a lot of fun.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
This discussion has been closed.