As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the thing have intestine?

I mean. . .does he poop?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    wiggin why would anyone in their right mind go to north carolina

Because I can live with family and go to school for next to nothing

42 bucks/credit hour once I establish residency

Is this a real school? Like, a nationally accredited 4 year university?

I'm transferring to a mid-level state school, and it's 10x that per credit hour.

Fuck, even my community college is around $55 per.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wiggin are you going to a north carolina clown college

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the thing have intestine?

I mean. . .does he poop?

I think this is a fair question and deserves our attention. Excuse me while I prepare a Powerpoint... if anyone wants to field this in the meantime, I'll bow out.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wiggin are you going to a north carolina clown college

The har-har-heels?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    in 616 canon, are his organs (with the exception of eyes and tongue) stone like in the movies?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't mind hardcovers for old stuff and the occasional mini-series but ongoing series only need to be released in trade format.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I assume you mean the premier hardcovers, and not the oversized collections... because the oversized hardcovers that collect a few trades at a time are awesome.

I believe the reason for the premier hardcovers was to mollify vendors, because Marvel were bringing out trades so quickly that there was concern it encouraged trade waiting over buying floppies. So they introduced the prem hardcovers that come out first and cost more for the people who just cannot wait, and then bring the trades out a few months later.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You're right about the over-sized hardcovers Virral, I don't mind those. I collect Powers, Gotham Central, and probably Preacher in that format, even if the wait between volumes is sometimes ridiculous. But from a business point of view I guess I get it.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    in 616 canon, are his organs (with the exception of eyes and tongue) stone like in the movies?

Seriously. I want to know this.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think they're tough, but I'm not sure about covered in stone. Ultimate Ben kinda covers up what he does when he has to pass a fantasticrap.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's basically one big giant gizzard.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That was a fantastically accurate and gross description. Kudos.

Edit: I used the word "fantastically" in reference to Ben Grimm. Oh what a tool I am.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think we have more important things to talk about than Ben Grimm's digestion process.

Like who would when in a fight, Bucky Cap or Dick Bat?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ugh. really? Is this Wizard Magazine? I'm hoping you were being sarcastic.

Is Incognito still coming out on schedule? I only go to the store once a month or so, and when I went last month, there was no Incognito waiting for me. I haven't seen any posts about it in what feels like forever.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, what's the current deal with Darkhawk: is the entire origin story of the gangster and the other five Darkhawks on that ship in another dimension erased, or what?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can someone give me the lowdown on Black Hand? What's his story and why is he such a big deal as it relates to Blackest Night?
    I just read through the "No Fear" GL trade and he's in it being all weird out of nowhere.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can someone give me the lowdown on Black Hand? What's his story and why is he such a big deal as it relates to Blackest Night?
    I just read through the "No Fear" GL trade and he's in it being all weird out of nowhere.

Black Hand used to be a horrible GL villain tracing back to the early days of Hal as GL.

He used to quip commonplace "cliches" while pulling off his nefarious plans, suggesting that cliches held vast amounts of wisdom or something I don't know.

Johns reinvented him to have an obsession with death (starting in "No Fear" but more clearly expressed in "Secret Origin"). He also tied Black Hand into the death of Abin Sur, sort of (also in "Secret Origin") and retroactively added his obsession with death.

In DC UNIVERSE ZERO, just before Final Crisis, Black Hand was contacted by the mysterious power that created the Black Lantern out of the Anti-Monitor and has basically become that power's herald/chief lantern/head ballwacker/whatever

in Blackest Night Zero he appears wearing a Black Lantern ring, which suggests he might be the only person who is still alive that can wear one, given his connection to death. Or it's a swerve and he's actually dead now too, who knows.

Rans on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    in Blackest Night Zero he appears wearing a Black Lantern ring, which suggests he might be the only person who is still alive that can wear one, given his connection to death. Or it's a swerve and he's actually dead now too, who knows.
    It's worth pointing out that he was abducted by ALIENZ who experimented on him, giving him the ability to suck out other people's life-force in order to rejuvenate his body (i.e. the hand that Hal the Jolly Green Spectre lopped off). Kinda ties him into death a little bit more.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any word on if/when Marvel will assemble the totality of the Punisher MAX run in one glorious omnibus hardcover? I'm kind of interested in buying the current collections, but not if it will eventually be collected in one nice bloody package.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I doubt they can fit the whole thing in one omnibus since it's currently around issue 70 and still going on. If you mean the Garth Ennis run I don't think that's possible either since it's 60 issues total.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ugh. really? Is this Wizard Magazine? I'm hoping you were being sarcastic.

Is Incognito still coming out on schedule? I only go to the store once a month or so, and when I went last month, there was no Incognito waiting for me. I haven't seen any posts about it in what feels like forever.

Eh, not really. Issues have been coming out every 6 to 8 weeks so far.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, what's the current deal with Darkhawk: is the entire origin story of the gangster and the other five Darkhawks on that ship in another dimension erased, or what?

The other Raptor basically said that the gem was slowly driving Chris crazy because it's incompatible with human physiology, and thus all of the stuff that he thought he knew about the gem's history was basically made up by his deteriorating mind.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

The other Raptor basically said that the gem was slowly driving Chris crazy because it's incompatible with human physiology, and thus all of the stuff that he thought he knew about the gem's history was basically made up by his deteriorating mind.

Such subtle writing =P

I liked those stories...

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whatever. All y'all bitches got it wrong. Hattiesburg is the place to go to school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1a-Y2yfocY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHltFq5mIyk

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that he was abducted by ALIENZ who experimented on him, giving him the ability to suck out other people's life-force in order to rejuvenate his body (i.e. the hand that Hal the Jolly Green Spectre lopped off). Kinda ties him into death a little bit more.

that's a good point. at the time, the aliens never made sense. looking back... they still don't make sense. were completely random and i guess were an attempt to tie together a few of hal's villains? (hammond, shark, and black hand)

but Johns seem to veer away from them, even though it sounded like he was setting them up to mean SOMETHING at the end of Rebirth with Hammond's cryptic remarks.

i really hope he ties them into Blackest Night somehow. Make them, like, uh, Nekron's demon minions or something. Make it connect somehow.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nekron's demon minions that happen to speak German for some reason

Rans on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    wiggin why would anyone in their right mind go to north carolina

Because I can live with family and go to school for next to nothing

42 bucks/credit hour once I establish residency

Is this a real school? Like, a nationally accredited 4 year university?

I'm transferring to a mid-level state school, and it's 10x that per credit hour.

Fuck, even my community college is around $55 per.

Community college for radiography

Five semesters for the national license and 35k/year starting wooo

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know X-Rays don't really give you superpowers?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    but wouldn't it rock if they did

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In today's Manhunter backup, Barbara says something to Kate that, to me, suggested that Gotham has a death penalty. If so, have any villains been put on death row and successfully executed?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    None that sold books well, I would dare to say.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are the Marvel Adventures books as fun as they look?

Now that I've realized that Jeff Parker and Fred Van Lente did some work in the line early on (and then carried a similar style to their 616 stuff), and seeing Skottie Young's covers and Paul Tobin's blogs, I'm really, really curious about these books. They look hella rad.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes, they are very good. S_D has them every now and then and are just fun, especially against the dark backdrop of regular Marvel.

The early Spider-Man issues weren't good, as they were just modern retellings of old Lee stories, but now they're good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Question: Is the guy who does Word Balloon a bit of an ass?

His most recent one is with Jeph Loeb, which of course brings out people commenting why he isn't a good writer, yet the WB guy posted a comment (since deleted, Matt seems to delete stuff a lot more these days to save face) about how everyone's just haters and that they're only 1% of the comics fans and how he's gotten thousands of downloads now and e-mails saying how great it is, really stroking his own ego.

I've only ever paid attention to the one he did about the late Wieringo, and one with Winick after that crap Green Arrow/Black Canary wedding one-shot. The guy says "yeah" a lot from what I remember and really walks on eggshells with his guests.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i don't listen to word balloon because fuck listening to things

i can skim an article but listening to a podcast demands too much attention

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm the same way, which is why I don't really know about the guy.

This is why those Newsarama video things done during conventions are annoying as well, especially when they're still running them weeks after the convention ended instead of just giving us transcripts (which would take just as long to transcribe).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yes, they are very good. S_D has them every now and then and are just fun, especially against the dark backdrop of regular Marvel.

The early Spider-Man issues weren't good, as they were just modern retellings of old Lee stories, but now they're good.

Yeah, anyone who likes the X-Men: First Class books will love the Marvel Adventures line as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm really digging the art and the fact that they're non-committal to continuity.

The only thing that keeps me from getting them is fear of grabbing books from the kiddie corner of my LCS.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    feh, why? if some counter jockey hassles you about it tell him to go fuck himself, you're an adult who can spend money how he pleases. you're not there to impress some asshole.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.