As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SFII HD Remix: MNC Dover wins the tournament!

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a quick match with a fellow PAer?

Edit: FUCK they should ban Akuma from ranked matches D:D:D:

What was he doing that gave you trouble?

95% of the Akumas I play against make me think that he's pretty balanced, I usually don't have too much trouble. Some people are really, really good with him though and frustrate the hell out of me.

I could probably make that statement about any character though.

Although I know that Sirlin used a lot of Akuma in playing ranked and I *believe* he mentioned that they may not have done enough to nerf him. I guess you just have to know what you're doing.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    One of my friends got addicted to street fighter, and just played it all the time. He grew a beard and looked like some crazy hermit.

Don't let this happen to you.

Play to win, and if that's what it takes...

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought Akuma's fragility of a small kitten balanced him enough to not be cursed. . .

I`d love to jump on but my sister is using my tv :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One of my friends got addicted to street fighter, and just played it all the time. He grew a beard and looked like some crazy hermit.

Don't let this happen to you.

Play to win, and if that's what it takes...

Well at least change your undies on a regular basis.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought Akuma's fragility of a small kitten balanced him enough to not be cursed. . .

It does to a point, but I've played some people who make me think otherwise. I've heard that some of his hitboxes are a little, um, "off" as well which goes to his advantage. I don't know anything in detail about it though.
    Well at least change your undies on a regular basis.

In case I sonic boom in my pants?

Are these jokes old yet?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You kidding me? They'll never get old!

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Any news on tournament matches?

Ruffnite is waiting to kick all of our asses, er, continue the tournament.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Taramoor.

I could've sworn I sent you a friend request a while ago.

I was waiting to hear back from you.

Oh...I'll check my XBL account today. Is your PA forum name the same as your gamertag?

When can you play next? I'll be free either later tonight or anytime Wednesday or Thursday evening. I'm on east coast time, btw.

GT is Bricobrosse

Adding you because I hear you have a good Cammy and I want to steal... uh, learn from you. By beating each other into a pulp of course,

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anybody who feels like playing right now, a couple of us are playing on Live, shoot me a message (slayervin) and I'll add you to the room.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    Thank you, sir. I seem to be able to do the individual parts of that final combo (jump-in + standing short and crouching forward + scissor kick), but can't seem to put it all together. I'll just have to work on it more.

Do more standing shorts if it seems like you can't get the special move out. You might just need more charge.
    I think part of my problem with him is that he's unique as a charge character. It doesn't seem like you can sit back and play defensively as him (like you can with the other charge characters) since his anti-air is non-existent and all of his moves are such low priority. He begs to be played aggressively. This typically isn't my play style, so I think he'll be a good character for me to learn to better round out my game.

Also, I think I mistook his low priority and my poor understanding of him for him taking extra damage. I was getting hit too goddamn much :|.

Bison's got some good normals (like his standing kicks), and his fast walking speed is conducive to throwing. If you can make them so much as block a standing short, you're in business already. Get consistent with being able to make scissor kicks come out when you want them to so that you can pin your opponent down and deal them chip damage and make them want to block... which sets you up for either the standing short combo, or standing short ticks into throw.
    Regarding the name confusion, I like to think what the world would be like if Mike Tyson were actually a brutal, inhuman, Southeast Asian Dictator with soul-crushing psycho power. It's a pity we'll never live to see the day.

For you it was the most important day of your life. For Bison, it was Tuesday!

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How does one view their ranked stats?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK, finally squared away my match with B:L, and you have a winner in him! Congrats, B:L!

Hopefully your tournament can progress now, chamberlain, sorry for the hold up.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OK, finally squared away my match with B:L, and you have a winner in him! Congrats, B:L!

Thanks, good games! Keep throwing those standard forward kicks. ;-)

Yeah chamberlain, sorry for the delay. I'll try to get the next round match done and over with as soon as possible.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ggs all.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Capcom promised a detailed stats page. Said to keep track of every little thing you do (fireballs, throws, supers, etc.) Still under construction though.

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RuffNite wrote: »

Capcom promised a detailed stats page. Said to keep track of every little thing you do (fireballs, throws, supers, etc.) Still under construction though.

Hm, so "under construction" means not being able to access the system at all, right? :P

Is there any way to just view a win-loss ratio?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    RuffNite wrote: »

Hm, so "under construction" means not being able to access the system at all, right? :P

Is there any way to just view a win-loss ratio?

Go to Leaderboards in-game. Select the type you want to check (like Remixed All-Time). Hit right once to auto find yourself on the list. Hit right again to see people on your friends list.

Good games to all who played tonight!

Fig-D on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good games tonight Fig-D.

I like to think that by the end there I was getting a handle on fighting Cammy with Cammy.

Still very dependent on momentum, as TempleWulf pointed out to me tonight while we were playing Soulcalibur IV.

I'd never really thought about it, but he's absolutely right. I need to get a rhythm going to fight in any game and if it gets disrupted I'm basically hosed, no matter who I'm fighting.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Taramoor, wanna try and get our matches in tonight?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This sets up you vs King Kong, and the winner of that match with face RuffNite.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Good games tonight Fig-D.

I like to think that by the end there I was getting a handle on fighting Cammy with Cammy.

Still very dependent on momentum, as TempleWulf pointed out to me tonight while we were playing Soulcalibur IV.

I'd never really thought about it, but he's absolutely right. I need to get a rhythm going to fight in any game and if it gets disrupted I'm basically hosed, no matter who I'm fighting.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I'll just get in this "groove" and just destroy my opponent...but if hey manage to get a reversal off or something then I just seem to fall apart.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ggs all.

Were you playing Honda when I pulled off the miracle Ryu light dragon punch?

I wish I had that recorded; there is no way I will ever be able to duplicate it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ggs all.

I wish I had that recorded; there is no way I will ever be able to duplicate it.

Most likely. I had just forgotten about that too. Thanks for reminding me, asshole.
    In all seriousness though, that was pretty badass.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    ggs all.

It was fucking glorious. Rarely do I audibly comment when watching someone else's match, but I remember saying "oh shit dude" out loud starring at my TV when that happened.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man now I want to know what I missed. ^

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Third round of excellent Ryu (me) vs Honda match. One hit left each. Honda pushed me towards a corner, hits a light jump kick and starts up the hundred hands before I landed; should be game over from chip damage. I managed to land from the light kick and pull off a dragon punch before being hit by the hundred hands.

It will never happen again.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Taramoor, wanna try and get our matches in tonight?

Good idea. I'll be on pretty regularly, gradually working toward achievements in my backlog.

Currently backlog playing: Enchanted Arms, Kameo, Mirror's Edge (damn Chapter Speedruns)

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh goddammit, was this before or after I left? I thought you got booted and didn't come back after I reinvited you.

I definitely think I would've remembered that.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought this last night to prepare for SF4. I have the Soul Calibur 4 arcade stick but barely ever played 2d fighters with a stick. I played maybe 10 games online, didn't win a single round. Doesn't help that I have trouble pulling off the moves. I feel like I jumped in a pool full of sharks and I can't swim. I hope I didn't buy this for nothing.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I bought this last night to prepare for SF4. I have the Soul Calibur 4 arcade stick but barely ever played 2d fighters with a stick. I played maybe 10 games online, didn't win a single round. Doesn't help that I have trouble pulling off the moves. I feel like I jumped in a pool full of sharks and I can't swim. I hope I didn't buy this for nothing.

"You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent."

Keep at it.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mojojoeo wrote: »

"You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent."

Keep at it.

I'm not giving up just yet, don't worry! I just got the impression that the game is filled with very experienced people. Some of my fights were just ridiculous. Anything I tried to do was countered in one way or another, but at least I could sometimes realize when I was doing something stupid.

I wonder if I should stick to my arcade stick or try to play the 360 pad. I'm mostly used to the ps2 controller for fighting games. I had about as much trouble on the 360 pad as the arcade stick.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If you are having a hard time with the moves just go into practice mode and do dragon punches and fire balls for a while. A lot of people you are going to run into online have been playing this, is some form or another, for years. Until special moves are no longer 'special' you are going to have problems.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm not giving up just yet, don't worry! I just got the impression that the game is filled with very experienced people. Some of my fights were just ridiculous. Anything I tried to do was countered in one way or another, but at least I could sometimes realize when I was doing something stupid.

Well, that's exactly how you learn so you're on the right track.

Being a new player, you'll probably run into some people who feel like they're being really cheap. It's not that they're being cheap, it's just that you don't know how to counter it yet. Please get this in your head and don't fall into the "it's cheap because I can't beat it" mentality.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    Oh goddammit, was this before or after I left? I thought you got booted and didn't come back after I reinvited you.

I definitely think I would've remembered that.

Yeah, it was a few rounds after you left. It was heart-breaking.

A family man is me.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to be so happy when SFIV comes out and I can use the IV shoryuken shortcut. So. Happy.

(For those who don't know, you can skip an input on shoryukens and I *think* other dp motion moves in IV and ONLY SFIV. Have a problem with f, d, df + P? Try df, df+ P. Because it works. In SFIV. When I found that out pure glee was excreted from my pores. The square gate on the stick will actually help rather than hinder. Oh, and with Akuma you can drop two inputs by doing LP, LP, f + LK + HP instead of the usual LP, LP, f, LK, HP. Same with his Ultra. It's GLORIOUS.)

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm going to be so happy when SFIV comes out and I can use the IV shoryuken shortcut. So. Happy.

(For those who don't know, you can skip an input on shoryukens and I *think* other dp motion moves in IV and ONLY SFIV. Have a problem with f, d, df + P? Try df, df+ P. Because it works. In SFIV. When I found that out pure glee was excreted from my pores. The square gate on the stick will actually help rather than hinder. Oh, and with Akuma you can drop two inputs by doing LP, LP, f + LK + HP instead of the usual LP, LP, f, LK, HP. Same with his Ultra. It's GLORIOUS.)

Oh... oh my.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so wait

just hitting the corner is a complete replacement for the quarter-circle

or just with shoto's specials?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    im going to get on the PSN if anyone wants to play some rounds of this game

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    so wait

just hitting the corner is a complete replacement for the quarter-circle

or just with shoto's specials?

You don't do a full quarter circle with an SRK. The first df counts as both the f and the d previous to the final df in the input. So you can't throw a hadoken by hitting df + P, but you can srk with df, df + P and (presumably) flame kick with Fei Long by pressing db, db + K.

At least this is how it works, as I've tested it, with Ryu in the Arcade Version. Of course this also means after playing SFIV I will fuck up in every other fighting game I play with dp inputs, but it'll be worth it to be able to srk in my sleep.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I would just do the dp inputs for the sake of other games, but maybe use the shortcut to nail reversals or other things that require retardedly strict timing.
    I wonder if I should stick to my arcade stick or try to play the 360 pad. I'm mostly used to the ps2 controller for fighting games. I had about as much trouble on the 360 pad as the arcade stick.

If you have a stick, use it. It will suck at first, but in the long run it will be worth it.

I'm a stick player, and I can't understand how people can play with pads at all. It feels incredibly restrictive, like a handicap. It's like a pro baseball pitcher wearing an arm cast (not that I was ever pro haha). It also leads to moments of incredible frustration, when I know I could've reversaled the Guile that kept sweeping me on wakeup but the only way to piano was to smash my face against the pad while I groped the controller like some crazy pervert.

I even find it difficult to do simple things like blocking while standing. So yeah. Fuck pads.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone up for a few rounds?

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
This discussion has been closed.