Options

SFII HD Remix: MNC Dover wins the tournament!

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Ya know.. this still isn't on Australia's/whoever else we share the PSN store.
    Which frustrates me. Why don't they want my money!?

I don't know what the deal is with the PAL version of the game. It's pretty absurd.

I just got an Entropay card and bought it through the US store. Worked without a hitch.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I shouldn't have to.
    :x

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have this for PS3...someone friend me up, and let us play.

(same name as my GT below)

Scotty on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Any news on tournament matches?

Ruffnite is waiting to kick all of our asses, er, continue the tournament.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Taramoor.

I could've sworn I sent you a friend request a while ago.

I was waiting to hear back from you.

Oh...I'll check my XBL account today. Is your PA forum name the same as your gamertag?

When can you play next? I'll be free either later tonight or anytime Wednesday or Thursday evening. I'm on east coast time, btw.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just got my first enraged message from a vanquished opponent! I'm so happy. :) After saying he didn't care for my tasteless tactics, he continued to message me another 4 or 5 times... and then sent a friend request. I don't understand people.

Also I got my ass handed to me like never before. Some dude named DoubleSpy took me down 22-3 or something like that. He had a good Ryu.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SF2 really brings out the nasty in people, in no other game have I ever received hate mail on the xbox!

Snare on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I have this for PS3...someone friend me up, and let us play.

(same name as my GT below)

I'm at work right now but send me a friend request.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nobody has ever talked shit to me on this game

then again i'm only able to sneak in a match or two very early in the morning before i have to head out. guess everyone is too tired to rage at that time

Ranced on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't use my microphone....so if people talk smack to me, I can't hear them. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most people I've run into have been pretty nice. I've only had one person rage at me and I beat his torpedo-spamming Honda fair and square with Guile. It was a ranked match too, which just further invalidates his rage.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so I started playing this last night and I can't even make it through the single player on the easiest difficulty, I also read that they "fixed" the computer to be not so hard. . .

why do I fail so hard? I used to destroy on classic snes SSF2T :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    so I started playing this last night and I can't even make it through the single player on the easiest difficulty, I also read that they "fixed" the computer to be not so hard. . .

why do I fail so hard? I used to destroy on classic snes SSF2T :_(

Well, it's been said several times before...the computer is a cheating bastard. The ONLY reason you should be playing the computer is if you're going for the achievements.

I don't think they'll ever be able to "fix" the computer in fighting games.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    SF2 really brings out the nasty in people, in no other game have I ever received hate mail on the xbox!

I've got hate mail before on VF5.

Though usually I'd mail them back with what they did wrong and how I beat them and then we'd be cool.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I'm having trouble pulling off reversals from getting up after a knockdown and it really screws me over sometimes.

I know that there's just an opening of a single frame, but is that frame as soon as your character reaches a standing position or right before or what? I know the piano key method helps but I usually forget about it in the heat of battle :lol:

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snare wrote: »

I remember a quote that said "Sports don't build character, they reveal it."

I think thats even more true about gaming.

As far as the lag issue... i figured it would be better than it actually is, the way people go on about GGPO's netcode. it's probably the best around current, but nothing beats a low-ping.

generally when i connect to someone, i aim for under 100 ping. but it only shows me that of the hosts. if the other people in the channel have a lot higher ping, then it doesn't do me any good. I wish you could see the connection status of people in the room... even if they did 3 bars like in left 4 dead (for those that know what im talking about), it would be fine, this way you can tell why its lagging so bad.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'm having trouble pulling off reversals from getting up after a knockdown and it really screws me over sometimes.

I know that there's just an opening of a single frame, but is that frame as soon as your character reaches a standing position or right before or what? I know the piano key method helps but I usually forget about it in the heat of battle :lol:

Based on practice, I think it's exactly as they reach a standing position, you just have to feel it out. I tend to start the special move motion just as my guy is starting to stand up. You mentioned this, but the piano method increases your "window" from 1/60 of a second to 1/10 of a second, which is somewhat substantial. So always go for it if you're thinking of it.

From an FAQ I have that is of unknown origins right now (spoiler'd for long):
    "Reversals

A reversal is defined as any time you go from a non-neutral state directly into a move (normal, special, super, or throw), without ever going to neutral state. A non-neutral state is any state that your opponent inflicts on you: block stun, hit stun, getting up after being knocked down, dizzy, or being knocked out of the air.

Easiest example: your opponent knocks you down, and as you're getting up, you time a DP perfectly so that it comes out on the first frame possible. You never go to neutral state - you go directly from getting up animation to DP animation. You get a reversal message, and 1000 points! (Note that you only get a reversal message for specials and supers.)

You can always do a reversal, no matter what your opponent is doing. Even if your opponent is doing a meaty attack to you as you land or as you get up, you can still reversal. Because throws are zero-frame (read: they have no start-up), a reversal throw will beat a meaty. Reversal throws can be used to escape things such as Boxer's [throw, walk under, meaty cr.Forward, throw] loop. (Throw him as you land, while he is trying to do the meaty cr.Forward.)"

This is from a Super Turbo FAQ, but I think this should still hold.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any news on tournament matches?

Ruffnite is waiting to kick all of our asses, er, continue the tournament.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Taramoor.

I could've sworn I sent you a friend request a while ago.

I was waiting to hear back from you.

Oh...I'll check my XBL account today. Is your PA forum name the same as your gamertag?

When can you play next? I'll be free either later tonight or anytime Wednesday or Thursday evening. I'm on east coast time, btw.

GT is Bricobrosse

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »

Based on practice, I think it's exactly as they reach a standing position, you just have to feel it out. I tend to start the special move motion just as my guy is starting to stand up. You mentioned this, but the piano method increases your "window" from 1/60 of a second to 1/10 of a second, which is somewhat substantial. So always go for it if you're thinking of it.

From an FAQ I have that is of unknown origins right now (spoiler'd for long):
    "Reversals

A reversal is defined as any time you go from a non-neutral state directly into a move (normal, special, super, or throw), without ever going to neutral state. A non-neutral state is any state that your opponent inflicts on you: block stun, hit stun, getting up after being knocked down, dizzy, or being knocked out of the air.

Easiest example: your opponent knocks you down, and as you're getting up, you time a DP perfectly so that it comes out on the first frame possible. You never go to neutral state - you go directly from getting up animation to DP animation. You get a reversal message, and 1000 points! (Note that you only get a reversal message for specials and supers.)

You can always do a reversal, no matter what your opponent is doing. Even if your opponent is doing a meaty attack to you as you land or as you get up, you can still reversal. Because throws are zero-frame (read: they have no start-up), a reversal throw will beat a meaty. Reversal throws can be used to escape things such as Boxer's [throw, walk under, meaty cr.Forward, throw] loop. (Throw him as you land, while he is trying to do the meaty cr.Forward.)"

This is from a Super Turbo FAQ, but I think this should still hold.

Ah, thanks. I don't have a stick so piano keys is kind of weird on the 360 controller (two buttons isn't too bad but throwing a fierce in there is awkward with the bumpers and all). I guess I'll just keep practicing...

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    just got back from playing a few rounds online.

I won probably half as many as I lost, but was a good time.

when I joined there was this guy exclusively playing ken and winning, when I got my turn everyone but him left, so it was just him and me fighting it out. I started playing ryu exclusively and started beating his fireball spam with mine winning a few rounds then he raged and I heard his cursor moving around, so just for fun I switched it up and went with the 'Gief. . . it turns out he picked Zangief, too.

then I beat him and he left :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

when I joined there was this guy exclusively playing ken and winning, when I got my turn everyone but him left, so it was just him and me fighting it out. I started playing ryu exclusively and started beating his fireball spam with mine winning a few rounds then he raged and I heard his cursor moving around, so just for fun I switched it up and went with the 'Gief. . . it turns out he picked Zangief, too.

Haha, sounds like a sore loser. I'm not sure how were you beating his spam with yours, I thought Ken could get fireballs out at the same rate.

Most player matches I join end with similar stories, but the other night I got in this room that was full of really nice guys, all using mics. Whenever one of us won we would always pick different characters and would sometimes even say who we were going to be (and if we weren't very good with them) and so the opponent would usually also pick someone unfamiliar. All matches ended with "ggs" and the commentary was great. Awesome learning experience too.

I can't believe how much fun I had that night, that's how a player match should be played! Hours flew by like nothing.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ahh... controller. Yeah, try piano inputs as best you can I guess, but that's pretty tough. Even with two buttons though, you're still quadrupling your window of opportunity for pulling off a reversal.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Haha, sounds like a sore loser. I'm not sure how were you beating his spam with yours, I thought Ken could get fireballs out at the same rate.

Most player matches I join end with similar stories, but the other night I got in this room that was full of really nice guys, all using mics. Whenever one of us won we would always pick different characters and would sometimes even say who we were going to be (and if we weren't very good with them) and so the opponent would usually also pick someone unfamiliar. All matches ended with "ggs" and the commentary was great. Awesome learning experience too.

I can't believe how much fun I had that night, that's how a player match should be played! Hours flew by like nothing.

I actively go looking for player matches where one guy has like forty wins and no losses, then just playing them until I win. They usually leave the room after that, but damn it's satisfying.

I got my first truly offensive message last night.

"cammy is low tier, n00b!"

He then proceeded to smack me down pretty hard with E. Honda. If I'd won I was going to send a simple "low tier ftw!" but since I got destroyed I don't think it would've had the same impact.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah its always good to run into people who will kick your ass and still be friendly about it (or vice versa)

my beating his spam was simply like, we'd be at a stalemate until one of us messed up or until I got my super and then I could beat his fireball with my superfireball.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best tip I ever got was "you have great mind games, but you need to work on your execution." And he was right. If I could get off reversals more reliability and learn to avoid tick throws I could be pretty damn good. That and tech throws. I went up against this Dictator last night with an amazing win average, but all he did was get you into a corner standing light kick twice and throw. And I couldn't get out of it! I couldn't get a reversal off the ground even once, and my timing on the throws must have been way off because I could only tech one. It pissed me off! Not because he was doing it, but because it was working on me!

I wasn't going to get a stick until SFIV dropped but holy crap, not being able to do some of the things I should is getting on my nerves.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hey at least you'll have all this time to get used to your new stick!

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I actually played a guy last night who was about the same skill level as me. It was just me and him in the room for about 35 minutes. I think we played about 30 really really good matches or so. I could see his speaker thing blinking a couple times, after I would completely destroy him with Sagat or 'Sim, so I imagine he was cursing me, yea unto seven generations. I usually don't put the mic on when I'm playing with people online, so I have no idea what he was saying, but I left him a message saying good games and that we should play again. Haven't seen a reply yet.

It's rare that you find someone of equal skill and with possibly the same temperament. It's great fun when you do.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I actively go looking for player matches where one guy has like forty wins and no losses, then just playing them until I win. They usually leave the room after that, but damn it's satisfying.

When I have the patience for it, those kinds of people are great learning tools. This happened the other night where some guy was only Zangief and was dominating the room. I probably played him 15+ times and now I hardly see Zangief as much of a threat anymore. Eventually I got him as Honda: jump in with MK to command throw, repeat until dead. The guy didn't know what to do so I abused the hell out of it and destroyed him. He left afterwards, typical.

I do pretty well with Guile against Zangief too just by playing very defensively. Want to jump at me? Flash kick. Want to green hand/lariat towards me? Crounching roundhouse. Most of them don't know what else to do although sometimes I'll fuck up and they'll get close enough to SPD me.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone here a serious Dictator player? I like the amount of damage that he can do with some of his combos and his incredible movement range and speed, but I can't for the life of me get down the timing on his combos. For example, jumping forward (cross-up or otherwise) + 3x standing short + scissor kick is one of his fairly common combos (I think), but I really just can't do it. I tried in training mode for about 40 minutes to get that combo down and I just could never get it. I noticed there's a bit of cooldown between how quickly you can chain his standing shorts together to the point where I can't just mash the button and automatically get a 3 hit combo from it.

Now I can combo pretty easily and well with Dee Jay, so I'm not sure if it's a matter of move execution so much as proper timing. Anyone have any advice?

I like playing as him, but just ticking away at someone's life bar with him is pretty miserable since he takes so much damage.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone here a serious Dictator player? I like the amount of damage that he can do with some of his combos and his incredible movement range and speed, but I can't for the life of me get down the timing on his combos. For example, jumping forward (cross-up or otherwise) + 3x standing short + scissor kick is one of his fairly common combos (I think), but I really just can't do it. I tried in training mode for about 40 minutes to get that combo down and I just could never get it. I noticed there's a bit of cooldown between how quickly you can chain his standing shorts together to the point where I can't just mash the button and automatically get a 3 hit combo from it.

Now I can combo pretty easily and well with Dee Jay, so I'm not sure if it's a matter of move execution so much as proper timing. Anyone have any advice?

I like playing as him, but just ticking away at someone's life bar with him is pretty miserable since he takes so much damage.

First thing's first:
    though they look the same, there's a slight difference between the close standing short and the far standing short. It might be hard to see, but it makes a difference when you are comboing with it.

Try this:
    close standing short, standing forward
    Easy combo.

Now walk right up to the other guy, and do standing short twice.
    It should push you out to far standing short range.
    Now do the standing short, standing forward combo. You'll find that it's oddly hard to do.

So one takeaway is that close standing shorts are desirable for combos.
    A corollary is that you'll want to find ways to make your standing shorts close standing shorts.

close standing short x2, standing forward
    Both standing forward and standing roundhouse can be linked from standing short, but you can guess which one does more damage. For some reason I find linking to standing forward easier, but that's probably just because of me being slower with the shoulder buttons rather than any property of the move itself. So what's the trick? Hold the stick towards your opponent, so that the dictator takes a step forward after each kick. You can do more than just two standing shorts if you're close enough at the beginning.

The fact that you have the time to walk forward a step between each kick should tip you off to another important thing: this combo inherently offers a throw mixup. You walk fast enough that even after the second short hits, you'll be in throw range.

What you may have confused with "cooldown" on the standing shorts is that subtle change from close standing short to far standing short, which would've been exacerbated by you holding backwards to get charge for the scissor kicks.

Try this combo:
    cross-up jump whatever, close standing short, low forward xx scissor kick/psycho crusher
    Remember to start charging by holding down the direction during the jump-in. You can do more standing shorts than just one, but the close standing short is an easier link to low forward.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Does Bison (Dictator, whatever) take more damage than other characters? I thought Akuma was the only one that did.

Also, what's the deal behind the naming of the Bison, Balrog, and Vega vs. Dictator, Boxer, and Claw? I thought I read something about the names being reversed when it was localized to the US or something and so they go by those names instead, but I'd like someone to clear it up.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Does Bison (Dictator, whatever) take more damage than other characters? I thought Akuma was the only one that did.

Also, what's the deal behind the naming of the Bison, Balrog, and Vega vs. Dictator, Boxer, and Claw? I thought I read something about the names being reversed when it was localized to the US or something and so they go by those names instead, but I'd like someone to clear it up.

bison just has shit for priority i think... the only high priority move he has is his super

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Originally, dictator was called vega, balrog was called M. Bison, and vega was called balrog but capcom feared legal action from Mike Tyson because of the obvious rip of his name and likeness, so they swapped that all out for US release.

I dunno where claw boxer and dictator came from but I imagine its just so international players can keep track of who is who.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Originally, dictator was called vega, balrog was called M. Bison, and vega was called balrog but capcom feared legal action from Mike Tyson because of the obvious rip of his name and likeness, so they swapped that all out for US release.

I dunno where claw boxer and dictator came from but I imagine its just so international players can keep track of who is who.

Interesting...to me the name Balrog doesn't fit Claw at all, nor Vega for Dictator. They all seem appropriate in the US version so I guess I'm glad they made the switch, although the Mike Tyson thing is funny :lol:

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess Capcom US also thought Vega was a bad choice for super-manly-badass-dictator-endboss so there was a little bit of pressure from them to change it too.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    l_g wrote: »
    An extremely helpful post.

Thank you, sir. I seem to be able to do the individual parts of that final combo (jump-in + standing short and crouching forward + scissor kick), but can't seem to put it all together. I'll just have to work on it more.

I think part of my problem with him is that he's unique as a charge character. It doesn't seem like you can sit back and play defensively as him (like you can with the other charge characters) since his anti-air is non-existent and all of his moves are such low priority. He begs to be played aggressively. This typically isn't my play style, so I think he'll be a good character for me to learn to better round out my game.

Also, I think I mistook his low priority and my poor understanding of him for him taking extra damage. I was getting hit too goddamn much :|.

Regarding the name confusion, I like to think what the world would be like if Mike Tyson were actually a brutal, inhuman, Southeast Asian Dictator with soul-crushing psycho power. It's a pity we'll never live to see the day.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I am completely and utterly addicted to this game. I find myself thinking about it way too often and I'm not getting much work done at the office.

My girlfriend says she doesn't mind watching and she'll cheer me on, get nervous on close matches and such but I think I may be pushing the limits with how much I play.

Does this make me a bad family man?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I am completely and utterly addicted to this game. I find myself thinking about it way too often and I'm not getting much work done at the office.

My girlfriend says she doesn't mind watching and she'll cheer me on, get nervous on close matches and such but I think I may be pushing the limits.

You should sonic boom your girlfriend more often.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

My girlfriend says she doesn't mind watching and she'll cheer me on, get nervous on close matches and such but I think I may be pushing the limits.

You should sonic boom your girlfriend more often.

:lol::lol::lol:

Why didn't I see that coming?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One of my friends got addicted to street fighter, and just played it all the time. He grew a beard and looked like some crazy hermit.

Don't let this happen to you.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone interested in a quick match with a fellow PAer?

Edit: FUCK they should ban Akuma from ranked matches D:D:D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
This discussion has been closed.