As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SR3 OOC] Megacorp Interests

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Valkun wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does no one ever want to play the Rigger? In all the games I've played, I think there was one person who wanted to try it out.

Where's the love for the tricked out cars and inviolable drone hordes?

The nice thing about when noone is playing the rigger, you can gloss over that stuff pretty easily.

Plenty of times we just had an NPC rigger for the run, keeping our ride warm. We weren't really ever hampered by the lack of a PC one, and it also allowed for some situations wherein our crew has to deal with a high-speed pursuit/escape without benefit of VCRs. :lol: Those were always highly entertaining because we relied on quite mundane skill.

Well, I do still have an idea for a rigger if you wanted a rigger really bad, but I played a rigger before, and it was plenty fun. It can very much be a toy class. After a few sessions, I suddenly realised I could do blah, bought some stuff, and "Oh yeah guys, I have a drone with that panther canon we found on it, so, uh, duck." or "Oh guys, I have a drone that can go over there, don't worry!" or "Yeah, we could try to shirk airport security to get to Yucatan, but I happen to have a razorfast helicopter with all kinds of smuggling gear and some big guns on the side, so its up to you guys."

Also Gabriel, I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, or if you've intended this, but I think you'll be casting as if you had a magic rating of 3, because that bioware will shuck off another point of magic without a point of essence, as per MM 78. With the Geasa, you'll be casting at best a 5, since you cant use a Geas to ignore the effects of Bioware. Initiation, however, will be your friend.

Edit: Also inf, would you rather I made a more pure hacker, or is the concept I have decent enough?

Edit 2: I made a ghoul phys-ad once, with a focus on Cyber-implant combat. Big spurs, messily installed. It wasn't a very good character to be honest.

Also, RE: Dual Natured--Another thing that sucks about being dual natured is that you cannot pass through a magical barrier without knocking that down. Fortunately, you can punch those down, so its not that big a deal. But it is funny to think of a magical ghoul filter.

piL on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, for some reason rigger characters just never have seemed to be very good characters in our games. They just seem to naturally make better NPCs for us? Our riggers were never really satisfied, or too bizarre, I dunno. You guys will be perfectly fine without one so don't feel like you need to have one if you don't like the concept of playing one.

piL, what would you intend by "pure hacker" exactly? It seemed ok to me, although I admit I skimmed everyone just.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn, I completly forgot about accounting for the seperate essence loss for the bioware. Like I said, I'm rusty. Hmm, maybe I'll just dump the sleep regulator then - she only had it for background purposes. Instead, she's nusring a borderline addiction to Long Haul.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drugs can make you lose essence as well. :P

I believe there is a spell in the Grimoire that does the same thing; "Awake" or something like that. Just dump it into a F1 sustaining focus.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, for some reason rigger characters just never have seemed to be very good characters in our games. They just seem to naturally make better NPCs for us? Our riggers were never really satisfied, or too bizarre, I dunno. You guys will be perfectly fine without one so don't feel like you need to have one if you don't like the concept of playing one.

piL, what would you intend by "pure hacker" exactly? It seemed ok to me, although I admit I skimmed everyone just.

The main difference is that I take a MCPC 8 instead of a CMT Avatar (with a MPCP of 7), throw a bunch of thicker programs on it, bigger stuff, and take away a bunch of the skills and use them more for things that would help him find Cheetoes in Mom's basement, or more hackery stuff.

Or an Otaku, but I'm not feeling that one (even though I'd probably be more badass in the 'trix.

piL on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Drugs can make you lose essence as well. :P

I believe there is a spell in the Grimoire that does the same thing; "Awake" or something like that. Just dump it into a F1 sustaining focus.
    Awaken works at bringing back unconscious characters, so I guess sustaining it could work kind of like that. I don't know, taking out the encephalon would mean she'd have enough nuyen to buy her bike back, but I did like the 'jesus, does she ever sleep!' aspect of her character. I'll just have to think about it, and whether it's worth going through the game with a magic rating of 5 at the best of times.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    make piL constantly spend more money for SotA programs

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

ihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyou

Only if you consistently put in dataloot

ihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyou

piL on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should also make any PC who doesn't detail going to the bathroom every session die horribly from an impacted bowel.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    hate 2.0 huh

not very useful against my sota love 4.5 alpha

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My only problem with SOTA is that it makes me go, "Fine, I got 16 hours in a day, what can I program!?

The answer is agent frame core 16. and Blackhammer 20.

Matrix assassin.

piL on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yay, back from the airport. I think tonight I shall try to get some work done on my backstory.

Any ideas for my concept? I only know so much about the shadowrun world at the moment, so, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Just read the setting section of the rulebook. That gives you pretty much everything.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Just read the setting section of the rulebook. That gives you pretty much everything.

Will do boss.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    piL wrote: »
    My only problem with SOTA is that it makes me go, "Fine, I got 16 hours in a day, what can I program!?

The answer is agent frame core 16. and Blackhammer 20.

Matrix assassin.

I was going to do that.

Mainly because my DM did something like that to me.

Good God.
    Jakob saw the smoke, and he smelt the burning, but he didn't pull the fucking jack out!

The reason?

Erich was in the Astral, and Jakob chose that time, after I told him to watch me, and if you smell bacon, see smoke, see me twitch uncontrollably, etc, PULL THE FUCKING LEAD OUT, decided to slot in a BTL.

Erich, being a friend of mine, because I was the guy who checked for drones, shot Jakob once he saw the melted plastic and burnt skin around the jack(was described as like a hotdog in the microwave for too long).

D:

Luckily, I was still 'alive', and after spending most of the entire group's pay to "fix me up", Mikhail was able to move his fingers, but had taken Essence loss that pushed him into the 1.05 area.

Then we learned that Jakob ratted us out to a certain BTL dealer who we humiliated earlier.

Did I mention that our base was not wheelchair friendly?

Yeah.
    D:

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SR is awesome.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    On my first real Shadowrun character (survived about four runs, enough to call h im a vet), I started writing out details about where he lived, where his shops and vehicles were etc. The GM ran an assassination scene where an assassin went to take out some Shadowrunners (some successfully). When it was done, I had floor maps for each of my character's apartments and his two vehicle shops, and escape routes planned, and traps set to slow down any home-invaders/cops, etc.

Yes, SR is awesome :P

piL on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My first real SR character was an corporate project, a test subject for SOTA cyberware, including at least three pieces that he didn't even know he had. He was so heavily cybered with Alpha and even Betaware (cleared it with my GM... test subject and all) that he had like .007 left when it was all said and done.

Half of the fun of his character was hiding from the corporation that created him, the other half was struggling not to lose what tiny shreds were left of his humanity. Either one was, in his mind, worse than a death sentence.

Then I realized just how twinky he actually was (He could take tank rounds to the chest without flinching, pretty much), and gave him up for another character after two sessions... only to have the GM throw him back at us as an NPC enemy.

Was so upset about that.

On the other hand, I did remember him fondly, so I took a version of him as a Contact this time around.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Everybody has played that character at one point.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I haven't

Street Samurais are boring, give me mages in expensive suits

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, you've probably played Stephen Hawking:Astral Badass then.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I haven't

Street Samurais are boring, give me mages in expensive suits

Ah, the Fashion spell. I played a grease monkey who didn't own a single set of coveralls, because our mage kept on turning them into Armani suits. :lol:

delroland on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I wish I could find a sprite of the Mages in the Shadowrun RPG for SNES.

Classy motherfuckers.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok.. cause i died int he phalla and have nowhere to put this, and i'm going to explode.

WOOOOOOOO

I Finished my Nano!!

WOOO!OOO

Ok... now, back to the SR discussion....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just popped in from D&D by chance and saw that there was Shadowrun to be had!

What's up?

TL DR on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We're all hiding in the shadows and working on the high possibility of a game to be started after the first of the year.

At least, that's my understanding.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That sounds good.

Has anyone called dibs on the half vampire half dark elf who is actually a secret dragon from the future?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I want to flesh out my character some more but finals have ramped up.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Tim... The GM has called that particular character concept....

Sorry, duders

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Sorry, duders

Well I suppose I can't complain about one more torturous lance in my side on the psychotropic hellscape that is my lot in life.

I want to be a furry-footed burrower.
    In all seriousness, I used to read the Shadowrun novels like crazy, but never had the game itself. I'm excited.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Sorry, duders

Well I suppose I can't complain about one more torturous lance in my side on the psychotropic hellscape that is my lot in life.

I want to be a furry-footed burrower.
    In all seriousness, I used to read the Shadowrun novels like crazy, but never had the game itself. I'm excited.

One of us. One of us.

Valkun on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I kind of hope we get almost everyone involved. I'm thinking epic missions here.

And I still want to go for Mikey's 11 here. *L*

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    won't it be hard to do criminal shenanigans with a cop amongst you

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So what, people are wanting to tackle large missions from many angles?

I guess that's one way to take advantage of PbP.

edit t INNS: huh?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Isn't Ahava's character a lone star officer?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty much down for letting this group get as big as you guys want it to.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I kind of hope we get almost everyone involved. I'm thinking epic missions here.

And I still want to go for Mikey's 11 here. *L*
    Bleah. PBP games, even moreso than real life games suffer terribly when there are too many people involved. About a half dozen is really the upper limit of participants you can work with before things start to self destruct under their own weight.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    On the other hand, with Shadowrun, if you were going to run it as a more gamey thing, would work pretty well with a huge cast, since you could swap runners in and out after each session (you never 11 runners, but it might be neat to have a pool of eleven runners to draw from for each run!)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Which then leaves a number of your players sidelined for weeks or months at a time (that's another thing about e-games, is that they go a lot slower).

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You could always have the team splitting up and running multiple different missions at the same time. More workload for the GM though.

Inquisitor on