As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] Dragondeep (Post-Game Discussion)

• Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Ahilgen joins the party!

Hey all, I'm back now. Looks like I rolled pretty poorly while I was gone, so it's like I was here the whole time. yay.

Ahilgen has a +11 Arcana skill, so that's probably his best bet. If Danarous has a better mod, the next thing Ahilgen could help with would be perception, with a +8.

Danarous has a +12 but we can aid each other on those checks.

Dajian on
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Berenden has good endurance and athletics. Endurance is at +12 and athletics is at +11.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a +11 Arcana, and all the rest of those skills I have at +2 or +1. :(

cytorak on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    B'auw has athletics +10, perception +11, and dungeoneering +9.

B'auw scrambles to his feet and sheathes his swords. "No time to waste! We go!"
    On the way out he looks over his shoulder. "Somebody grab Tess!"
    And with that the gnoll runs up to the door, just in time to catch a large block of debree falling from the ceiling on his back and prevent it from blocking the way out. With a grunt he heaves it aside and motions everyone to follow.
    Berenden tries to aid B'auw in athletics and fails. 1d20+11=12

B'auw attempts athletics unaided anyway. 1d20+10=23 success!

Next: Berenden

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quick question, Denada. If B'auw had me assist last turn, do I get to roll myself? I don't think I do, right?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    •For your action you can choose whether or not you want to aid someone else instead of making a primary check. You don't pick people to aid you on your turn with your skill check.

•Since B'auw succeeded on his Athletics check you don't need to bother with an aid check. You can roll an Endurance check, or a different skill if you'd like.

•Also, you need to declare if you're aiding another before you roll.

Denada on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ahilgen grabs Tess and makes his way out of the cave with the others.
    Ahilgen feels VERY guilty about getting Tess into this in the first place, and will die with her if needs be.

Also, since it's only a DC 15, Danarous should be able to make the arcana check. Ahilgen will ASSIST on the Perception roll, unless no one else has >+8.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Berenden charges forward with B'auw. "Anyone remember which way gets us outta here? I think it's this way," the dwarf yells over his shoulder as he points down a corridor.
    Berenden will assist anyone who wants to roll a dungeoneering check.
    Dungeoneering assist (1d20+5=10)
    Wow, just barely pulled it off.
    +2 to whoever rolls the dungeoneering.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lilliana tries to maneuver quickly through the tunnel, but she nearly trips over her own feet.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, Berenden. I'd roll with your assist, but I'm not trained in Dungeoneering. Plus, it'd be the same as my unaided perception, which I plan on critting....

Ahilgen hefts Tess over his shoulder and sees Lilliana trip and fall before they're even out of the chamber. He quickly darts his eyes around the room...

But can barely make out the exit through all the falling debris.

"Danarous, exit options!"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh man you guys put too much faith in my skillz

"Um... welll... these glyphs here look like....

Ah bat dung! Where did I put that scroll."

Ssssmooth master. Perhaps you should try focussssing on getting us outta of here.
    Arcana Check to Half Damage next round. (1d20+12=13)

I was rolling to halve damage on next round and failed... come on B'uaw get us another athletics check :P

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dajian wrote: »
    Oh man you guys put too much faith in my skillz

"Um... welll... these glyphs here look like....

Ah bat dung! Where did I put that scroll."

Ssssmooth master. Perhaps you should try focussssing on getting us outta of here.
    Arcana Check to Half Damage next round. (1d20+12=13)

I was rolling to halve damage on next round and failed... come on B'uaw get us another athletics check :P
    Not that it matters since you crit failed, but we had already passed the Athletics check this round, negating the attack of Dragondeep, so halving the damage wouldn't have done anything.

Ahilgen still loves you, though.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TheMadjai wrote: »

Not that it matters since you crit failed, but we had already passed the Athletics check this round, negating the attack of Dragondeep, so halving the damage wouldn't have done anything.

Ahilgen still loves you, though.

Yeah I realized that after I had already rolled, so I changed my fluff stuff to sound like I was trying to find a way out. Since I failed no matter what I figured it didn't really matter.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe B'auw should roll dugeoneering check next round and I'll take the athletics. He's got a +9 to those checks.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B'auw sees the cracks in the walls spreading in a certain pattern and speed that indicates this was is downhill deeper into Dragondeep.

"No. It must be the other way!" He points to another tunnel that must lead upward to the surface.
    Yeah, B'auw will dungeoneer next round... As in this round

1d20+11=23 success! with Berenden's help.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Uhhh.. clarification question. Can we only skill check in trained skills? 'cause I just realized I'm not trained in perception. I just have a RIDICULOUS modifier.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As B'auw points towards the other tunnel, Berenden takes the lead. With the tunnels collapsing and time running out, they near a door that Berenden runs through instead of opens. The door breaks off the hinges and collapses to the ground freeing the path for the group to run through.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You don't need to be trained to make a check.

So far we have two successful athletics checks and a successful dungeoneering check. You have avoided Round 1's attack (falling debris) and Round 2's attack (exploding pipes).

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nice work, boys. Best bet now is to have Lilliana roll assist on Danarous' Arcana check, and I'll roll perception to try and have him re-roll it if it still fails. Though it shouldn't.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lilliana tries to help Danarous make sense of the arcane energies within Dragondeep.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fumbling in one pocket sparks climbs down the Tiefling’s shoulder and emerges with a crimson scroll with black ribbon tied around it.

Here it isss!

Danarous quickly opens the parchment and matches the runes he sees on the wall.

“That way, down the right side. Stay in the middle of the tunnel.”

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As you work together to navigate the arcane labyrinth that is Dragondeep, it seems as though the whole world is crumbling around you. Cracks begin to form in the floor and along the walls. Chunks of ceiling continue to threaten you from above, and exploding pipes and conduits of magical energy make every turn a hazardous one.

You've made it to Dragondeep's forge, where the magically reinforced metal floor shakes violently above the molten lava below. You remember from your journey in that this is in the center of the factory, meaning you're halfway to the entrance. A loud crash behind you precedes the arrival of thick plumes of black smoke spewing from the tunnel you were just in. The already hot air is quickly becoming poisonous now, so there's no time to take a breather here.

Four rounds left until you escape.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B'auw quickly rips off a piece of cloth from his pack and wraps it around his snout.
    "Move quickly! The air here is poisonous!"
    Feeling gust of dirt and debree coming from the cave in, B'auw stands still trying to sense in which direction it is heading as an indicator of where there may be a draft of natural air.
    "This way!"
    B'auw dungeoneers his way through! success! 1d20+9=24

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Berenden takes the lead again, following where B'auw pointed down. He dodges in and out of the falling debris leading the group around the safest route possible.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lilliana keeps on stumbling through the factory.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahilgen hefts Tess to his other shoulder and picks up Lilliana, forcing her forward. "Keep moving!"
    Perception Check (1d20+8=19) Success! Grants Lilliana a re-roll.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lilliana nearly brings Ahilgen and Tess down with her as she stumbles over debris.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Yes… yes…, I am starting to see the pattern of it now.

Sparks, do you see a rune that looks like an upside down sickle with a small circle at the end of the blade?"

Yesss! There on the far wall!

"Then that is where we should head."

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Your pace continues relatively unhindered by the collapsing floors, erupting fires, and noxious gas that make every room and tunnel a life-or-death struggle. You've also managed to cut through the warehouse by way of a reinforced maintenance shaft that you hadn't noticed on your way in. Avoiding the main construction area this way has helped immensely.

Stopping for a brief moment in Dragondeep's barracks to get your bearings, you're nearly knocked to your feet by a massive earthquake. The ceiling on the far side of the room collapses, sealing off the way you came in and forcing you to find a different way out.

Two rounds until you escape.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B'auw covers his snout and coughs from the dirt and dust accumulating in the air. They must act quickly.. thick quickly.. B'auw rams a door to the side with his shoulder and the lock breaks, slamming the doors open.. The room it leads to is literaly shaking apart and the floor is on the verge of imploding down into an underground chasm.

"No.. It's unstable. It's not safe. We must find another way."

Frantically he looks around and finally decides to crawl up into the hole that the collapsed ceiling has revealed, balancing on the debree. It leads to a duct that perhaps will take them around the cave in. Looking back, B'auw extends his arm down to help the party up into the duct.
    Sorry, I believe it's my turn.

B'auw dungeoneering! 1d20+9=27 success!

Next: I believe it's Berenden

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Berenden grabs B'auw's extended hand and hoists himself up. Turning around, he works with B'auw to pull everyone else up as well.
    Athletics check (1d20+11=15)
    Whoa.... close! But a success nonetheless.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The rest of the checks are unnecessary. Update coming shortly.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As the last of you steps out of the crumbling entrance to Dragondeep, another massive earthquake rocks the ground beneath you. Huge cracks begin to form, and you quickly realize that you're not out of danger yet. You start running again, tearing down the open road to get away from the hill.

The war in the streets of Viscar has ceased during the time you've spent beneath ground. Hundreds of red-cloaked bodies lie in funeral pyres set up throughout the city. Hundreds more, those of the Shezzar, are being loaded onto floating platforms and hauled toward the North Gate. There's no question that the fight here was long and bloody, but it appears that the Shezzar were victorious.

You reflections on the state of things above ground are quickly interrupted by still another earthquake, this one many times more powerful than the ones before. You can actually see the ground rolling and cracking before your eyes as loud claps of thunder and flashes of lightning ring out in the sky above. Now at a reasonable distance, you turn to see the large hill that hid the entrance to Dragondeep sinking into the ground. Huge clouds of smoke and debris rise up from the ground to meet the lightning in the sky, combining with great jets of flame and shafts of purple light to create the impression that the world itself is breaking apart.

But this is not so, as Mae'Urman, the Shezzar commander informs you. Standing only a few feet away from you, he has to shout to be heard above the cacophony of destruction in the distance.

"He's opening a portal!" Mae'Urman yells, pointing to the rift forming where Dragondeep once was. He starts running for a nearby ship, floating in the air about 10 feet over the ground. "Bring the girl!" he yells, motioning for you to follow.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahilgen switches Tess to a fireman's carry over his shoulder and levels out at a flat run towards the ship.

"Stay with me, Tess. We're almost home."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Berenden sets off as quickly as his dwarf legs can take him towards the ship.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wasting no time, Lilliana makes a mad dash for the ship, and hopefully, an end to this madness.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You follow the commander toward a ring of blue light on the ground, where you're teleported to the deck of the ship. The wood used to construct it has a hard, metallic feel, wholly unfamiliar to you and your world. Brightly lit runes and sigils adorn various panels and orbs around you, where other Shezzar are tapping and waving their hands furiously.

After shouting some orders to his crew, Mae'Urman turns to you. The distant noise is less pronounced here on deck, and the commander is able to speak normally. "The Aesur is ripping open a portal to this world," he says, pointing again toward the glowing chasm that now takes up a quarter of the city. "It's a desperate strategy. All or nothing."

He turns toward one of the panels, the glowing runes there changing rapidly. "We have a chance here. One chance. If we can destroy the portal while the Aesur is trying to get through it will destroy him." He turns to you again. "This girl was the Herald's key to opening the gates. She's our key to closing this portal."

Sensing your apprehension, Mae'Urman holds up his hand. "She doesn't have to die. We Shezzar don't make those kinds of sacrifices." He hands you a long knife. The blade is some kind of black stone, and the handle is an empty vial. "But we do need her blood. She-"

An explosion cuts off his words and rocks the ship, causing you all to stumble backward. New sigils light up on the panels, and alarms begin to sound. "He's coming through!" the commander yells. "Pilot! Take us in!"

The ship surges forward, faster than any ship you've been on before. "There's no time to explain," he says. "You have to take her blood and get it into the center of the portal. We'll take you in as close as we can and our ships will do their best to clear the way, but you have to do the rest."

---

Round 1
    There is no particular initiative order. Each of you can take one action per round. Actions are as follows:

Arcana: Assist with the targeting and firing of the ship's weapons. The amount you roll over 15 equals the attack bonus the ship gets that round.
    Dungeoneering: Identify the weaknesses of the aberrant creatures attacking the ships. The amount you roll over 15 equals the damage bonus the ship gets that round.
    Athletics: Assist with the maneuvering and defensive positioning of the ship's armor and shields. The amount you roll over 15 equals the defensive bonus the ship gets that round.

The checks aren't limited to one character. Bonuses are cumulative.

The ship you're on is joined by four others. Ahead of you, you can spot several dozen dark shapes in the sky, with more rising from the portal to join them. Judging by their size relative to their distance, they are large, about the size of an adult dragon. And they're closing quickly.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is Tess the sister of a slayer? I think I've seen this somewhere before... ;)

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Berenden looks to Mae'Urman. "What can I do to help?" he asks. Mae'Urman points the dwarf to an area where the armor is up. "Move those quickly! We need to get them into defensive positions!" With that, Berenden takes control of one of the armor plates, pushing it into a more defensive position. When he sees that it is between him and the portal, he lets up.
    Athletics Check (1d20+11=24)
    Whoo! +9 to the defensive bonus of the ship.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahilgen sets Tess down and takes the knife from Mae'Urman. He sets his gaze on the Shezzar leader.

"I know you've given a lot, Tess... I just need a bit more." He presses the knife point into her heel until it breaks the skin, and the phial at the hilt begins slowly filling.

He raises his voice so he can be heard by the whole ship: "When we get close, I'll throw this into the portal. Someone needs to break the glass open just before it hits. Who's your best sharpshooter?"

Ahilgen places his free hand on a console near him to steady himself and it lights up with sigils he doesn't understand. He begins to feel magic channeling through it, and he reaches out into the panel with his mind, trying to see what help he can be.
    Arcana Check (1d20+11=20) +5 to ATK. Meh.

Also, edited for "durr," as you created me a nice knife that would work without using a phial.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING: