Options

The [chat] and Catastrophe

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    James wrote: »
    Johnny Foreigner does sound like a badass name though.

Sounds like the name of a man who needs no instructions to know how to rock.

Johnny Foreigner is going to be my next superhero.

James on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    American Beauty had a great cast and some great scenes that were smothered by the director slathering his relevance all over everything. You can tell Mendes was ex-theatre, because he just had to play that shit all the way back to the cheap seats.

I do like the movie as part of a trilogy of 1999 movies - AB, Fight Club, and Office Space - about people's dissatisfaction with dead-end corporate America, though.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    american beauty was still a damn fine movie

the problem with damn fine movies is that they get swarmed by overexcited teenagers and overexposed until they become trite and lose their power

see also: donnie darko

Or Fight Club, but maybe to a lesser extent. But the problem with that is that people simply didn't get it, and were all "let's start a fight club lol"

James on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    Australia is like America but worse
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
    :cry:

I mean like, with your really conservativeness. But like America there are some really awesome people there.

I don't see many "conservatives" here in australia, way less than the states.

But we do have an endless supply of god damn fucking morons.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hey, i have to buy a car sometime in 2009 (as my car has 150k miles on it and is not known for its gas milage and reliability).

im 6'0 and fairly built so i don't want to have a real small car... i guess what im really looking for is a mid-size sedan or 2door. no hatchback/wagon/SUV, but i would like AWD for the weather and antilock brakes.

right now im looking at the ford fusion and maybe something from subaru. i was thinking of the fusion just because it should be cheaper given fords problems. any suggestions?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Now Super Troopers.. That is an awesome movie. :lol:

This I can get behind.

James on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What sort of empirical or argument-from-authority evidence is out there to encourage increased arts-programs in schools?
    Music sounds pretty! (Fuzzy 08)

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Man I hated napolean dynamite, it was so awful yet all my retard coworkers were telling me how awesome it was, and quoting it endlessly.
    Really, I can only pity people who found that film funny. Pity and envy. They must lead such wonderful lives.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In truth, music helps to learn chemistry as well, allowing one to see the connectivity and patterns.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    My favorite part about Fight Club is that the movie is so much better than the book.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The ending of the book is so bad

The ending of the movie was great

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I mean like, with your really conservativeness. But like America there are some really awesome people there.

I don't see many "conservatives" here in australia, way less than the states.

But we do have an endless supply of god damn fucking morons.

Maybe conservative was the wrong word. But they are really conservative in their smarts.

James on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aussieland has a good number of fundies too no?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't even remember how the book ended anymore. Somebody want to
    it for me?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My favorite part about Fight Club is that the movie is so much better than the book.

Yes.

James on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My cat is being aggressively cuddly

Elendil on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's also the fact that knowing art history ties in beautifully with regular history and literature.

And especially with smaller kids, actually MAKING art is helpful for learning self-expression, fine motor skills, basic physical properties, narrative structure, etc..

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    My cat is being aggressively cuddly

awww I love that

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    American Beauty had a great cast and some great scenes that were smothered by the director slathering his relevance all over everything. You can tell Mendes was ex-theatre, because he just had to play that shit all the way back to the cheap seats.

I do like the movie as part of a trilogy of 1999 movies - AB, Fight Club, and Office Space - about people's dissatisfaction with dead-end corporate America, though.

Mendes did a lot better with Road to Perdition, I think because he wasn't trying to beat the viewer over the head with his message, though it didn't have the sweet rack shots from American Beauty.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as Fight Club and Office Space as those were entertaining movies...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

Seriously.

I will give the book its props, though. Too much of what gets published as literary fiction these days (and back in the 90s) is really self-conscious, arch, reflexive, and ironic. I admire Pahlaniuck for writing a genuinely subversive little underground book. I just admire him somewhat less for making a career of beating that horse into its constituent atoms.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    it for me?
    He shoots himself, gets brain damage, and is sent to an asylum, where the staff and patients secretly assure him that they're waiting for him to recover and lead them once again.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It has some yes, but orders of magnitude less than US.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I think that is true for all countries.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Mendes did a lot better with Road to Perdition, I think because he wasn't trying to beat the viewer over the head with his message, though it didn't have the sweet rack shots from American Beauty.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as Fight Club and Office Space as those were entertaining movies...

I thought Road to Perdition was really self-serious too, though, although I agree not as much as American Beauty. I had some problems with it because I loved the original book and it barely had anything in common with that.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    stop and staaaare

i think i'm movin but i don't know wheeeeeere

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    it for me?
    He shoots himself, gets brain damage, and is sent to an asylum, where the staff and patients secretly assure him that they're waiting for him to recover and lead them once again.

That's not entirely correct.

He didn't get brain damage, he shot through the hole in his cheek that wouldn't heal. Also the grand plan to blow up buildings failed because they used parafin which was foreshadowed the narrator could never get to work.

I think the author of fight club has stated he likes the movie ending more himself.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    it for me?

Really? I don't even remember that at all. I remember reading the book, but not that. It's awful Philip K Dick, though.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

These are the guys who were trying to prevent anyone with AIDS or TB from coming into the country.

I think Lowkes made a big list of everything that was wrong with the country a week or two ago.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I thought Road to Perdition was really self-serious too, though, although I agree not as much as American Beauty. I had some problems with it because I loved the original book and it barely had anything in common with that.

I guess having not read the source material I didn't have that connection. I liked the minimal dialogue and Tom Hanks was great.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    hey, i have to buy a car sometime in 2009 (as my car has 150k miles on it and is not known for its gas milage and reliability).

im 6'0 and fairly built so i don't want to have a real small car... i guess what im really looking for is a mid-size sedan or 2door. no hatchback/wagon/SUV, but i would like AWD for the weather and antilock brakes.

right now im looking at the ford fusion and maybe something from subaru. i was thinking of the fusion just because it should be cheaper given fords problems. any suggestions?

You're gonna have trouble finding a 2 door that's not a hatchback. I think one of the few is the new Altima 2 door.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You're gonna have trouble finding a 2 door that's not a hatchback. I think one of the few is the new Altima 2 door.

yeah, i dont really care if its 2 or 4 doors though. i just want to have some options to look at.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

These are the guys who were trying to prevent anyone with AIDS or TB from coming into the country.

I think Lowkes made a big list of everything that was wrong with the country a week or two ago.

What's wrong with that? Highly contagious disease that is becoming drug resistant and is lethal. Why would you want anyone with TB in your country?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

You guys do have awesome accents though

also Koalas
    And platypodes

Sounds like a pokey man.

Actually, our resident Platypus sounds like George Takai.

If I could see a Platypus doing this, it would be even funnier.

:...:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited November 2008

yeah, i like to think i helped.

The list i mean. Not the things wrong.

Umm, i put those things in the retard category, not conservative, but i guess they kind of are.

I just tend to think of fundy = conservative, probably wrongly

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Every time a libertarianism thread pops up, I find new people to hate.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

What's wrong with that? Highly contagious disease that is becoming drug resistant and is lethal. Why would you want anyone with TB in your country?

I understand TB, but when it is bundled with something that is as ridiculous as AIDS? Yes, that is the way to fight disease.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

But isn't it manageable with drugs?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You're not nearly that awesome Plat

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can someone explain to me why we've actually been mistaken in our calculating Application Scores for students? This is how we do it now:

Academic Average (AA) is worth 65%
    DAT (comprised of 4 sections) is worth 25%
    Interview is worth 15%

We've just been taking the raw scores and putting them together.

AA of 97 = 63.05
    DAT of 82 = 20.5
    INT of 31 = 3.1
    TOTAL = 86.65

Someone mentioned that we need to be converting all our scores to Z-Scores instead of the raw numbers for fair comparison. I understand how to get the Z-Score for each portion, but I don't think I'm understanding how to use them.

LaOs on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

yeah, i dont really care if its 2 or 4 doors though. i just want to have some options to look at.

What kinda price range are you looking at?

Alecthar on
This discussion has been closed.