As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

• Options
    DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sephiroth's costume is decidedly fanboyish >_>

And not enough Shantotto for my liking in these scans...

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

There's not enough Balthier in these scans for my liking.

God, Square-Enix, just announce him already!

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Ever since playing VIII, I unconsciously pull the R1 trigger when doing attacks in any RPG in hopes of doing more damage.

I have Mario RPG to thank for that. Just one more jump, damnit, and I'll break 50!

Speaking of which, anybody remember the "secret" boss fight in Mario RPG with the wicked FFII boss theme remix?
    It took me until this year to finally beat that fucker. Fuck you, Culex.

Was it really that hard? I don't recall having any trouble with it. Of course, I had Peach equipped with the lazy shell and that star egg thingy, so I was kinda cheating...

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Ever since playing VIII, I unconsciously pull the R1 trigger when doing attacks in any RPG in hopes of doing more damage.

I have Mario RPG to thank for that. Just one more jump, damnit, and I'll break 50!

Speaking of which, anybody remember the "secret" boss fight in Mario RPG with the wicked FFII boss theme remix?
    It took me until this year to finally beat that fucker. Fuck you, Culex.

Was it really that hard? I don't recall having any trouble with it. Of course, I had Peach equipped with the lazy shell and that star egg thingy, so I was kinda cheating...

The lazy shell is ridiculous. I didn't even realize Peach could wear it- thought it was Mario only.

Too bad this game can't get released on the DS so we can get some Mario cameos. Which would be insanely ridiculous.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »

There's not enough Balthier in these scans for my liking.

God, Square-Enix, just announce him already!

He'd be awesome. I'm just worried about him trying to fight with his slow-ass blunderbuss thing :|

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, he doesn't necessarily have to use a gun. He's Balthier, he can kill you with whatever the hell he wants. Maybe He could use one of those ruler things, just for kicks.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Well, he doesn't necessarily have to use a gun. He's Balthier, he can kill you with whatever the hell he wants. Maybe He could use one of those ruler things, just for kicks.

Oh god.

YES.

I wanna fuck Sephiroth up with a right-angle sooooooooooo bad

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everyone does have Alternate Costumes, yes. Obviously in multiplayer the same character can face off against each other in a mirror match. Cloud's is his Advent Children costume (with a wing), Seph's is topless, Squall's is his SeeD uniform, and so on and so forth.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everyone does have Alternate Costumes, yes. Obviously in multiplayer the same character can face off against each other in a mirror match. Cloud's is his Advent Children costume , Seph's is topless (with a wing), Squall's is his SeeD uniform, and so on and so forth.

Fixed.

All of this makes me wonder what Tidus will wear... maybe he'll be forced to wear the Gullwings' prized dressphere? :D

...OK, he'll probably be Shuyin, but I'd personally prefer to see him stuck in a Moogle costume just for the laughs.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    See, I'd have expected Shuyin too, but the fact that Cloud is the Advent Children costume and not Zack makes me slightly discouraged from betting on that.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everyone does have Alternate Costumes, yes. Obviously in multiplayer the same character can face off against each other in a mirror match. Cloud's is his Advent Children costume , Seph's is topless (with a wing), Squall's is his SeeD uniform, and so on and so forth.

Fixed.

All of this makes me wonder what Tidus will wear... maybe he'll be forced to wear the Gullwings' prized dressphere? :D

...OK, he'll probably be Shuyin, but I'd personally prefer to see him stuck in a Moogle costume just for the laughs.

I think we should just get a Moogle character thrown in. Montblanc would be incredibly kick ass to have. And who the hell would do his voice acting?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nomura has confirmed in this week's Famitsu that the last character is from FF12, and also hinted that they'll be on the Chaos side, making for 11 good guys and 11 bad guys. So Balthier is probably out. Gonna be Gabranth.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gabranth is a pretty good choice.

Saving Balthier for the sequel.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It'll be Ba'Gamnan.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It could end up being Vayne. Not that I'd prefer him over Gabranth, but he'd fit the 'final boss' theme better. Gabranth could totally kick his ass though.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As much as I would like Ba'Gamnan to be in there, it's gotta be Gabranth. I mean, he's in the symbol for XII.

Renzo on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Fixed.

I think we should just get a Moogle character thrown in. Montblanc would be incredibly kick ass to have. And who the hell would do his voice acting?

I second the moogle. Montblanc or Stiltskin would be an epic win. A chaotic moogle would be even more entertaining. However, I'm curious if they'll go with another human as the "secret" chaos character. With the addition of Shannatoto i think her chaos counterpoint would need to be a nonhuman as well.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All this FFXII talk is making me wish my PS3 would get here sooner. No PS2, and I want to play it again!

Fawst on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If they only get one alternate outfit, it should have been Zack. Crisis Core is way better than Advent Children. I almost fell asleep watching that.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Fixed.

I second the moogle. Montblanc or Stiltskin would be an epic win. A chaotic moogle would be even more entertaining. However, I'm curious if they'll go with another human as the "secret" chaos character. With the addition of Shannatoto i think her chaos counterpoint would need to be a nonhuman as well.

...Wait... here's a thought... we know they're from 12. We know they'll be on the side of Chaos. We're also missing the obligatory Cid.

All signs point to Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa, with maybe a few attacks by Venat thrown in for good measure.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, once again my laziness comes back to haunt me. I was going to make a big Dissidia thread, having never come across one here in PA, but I'm beaten to the punch yet again. Guess I'll save that for a future blog post.

Anyway, are scans or links to scans allowed here? There's a Japanese blog that posts Famitsu scans, and some of the latest Dissidia pics are worth a look.

Also, as I might have mentioned before, the sausage fest really pisses me off. No Tifa, Celes, Rikku, Rydia, or any other more popular characters have been shown, and I wonder if they ever will.

Does anyone really care about Firion, Bartz, or their respective enemies being included? Seriously?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Go for it.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, as I might have mentioned before, the sausage fest really pisses me off. No Tifa, Celes, Rikku, Rydia, or any other more popular characters have been shown, and I wonder if they ever will.

Does anyone really care about Firion, Bartz, or their respective enemies being included? Seriously?
    Well I think the point is more that it the roster is the heroes and villains from 1-10.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And to be truthful, ExDeath has always been a very popular villain.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well I think the point is more that it the roster is the heroes and villains from 1-10.

A number of games could have a heroine instead. For instance Faris > Bartz.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Or Ashe>Vaan, for that matter

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or Ashe>Vaan, for that matter

Balthier trumps the entire cast, come on now.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DLC expansions with more characters?

...is there even DLC for PSP games?

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    DLC expansions with more characters?

...is there even DLC for PSP games?

Yep. Wipeout has some DLC tracks, and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 has like 20 downloadable quests and other costumes and goodies, all free.

They could definitely do DLC.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Popular where? What country, and what dimension? Personally speaking, I think he's the worst FF villain. Stupid name, no real story other than he's some alien from space who wants to become an immortal tree.
    templewulf wrote: »

This. Also, they were considering using Yuna instead of Tidus at one point, with Seymor as the nemesis. That's a bit of a trade off though; get a potentially more popular main FFX character, but get saddled with a lamer FFX villain.

• Options
    edited December 2008

This. Also, they were considering using Yuna instead of Tidus at one point, with Seymor as the nemesis. That's a bit of a trade off though; get a potentially more popular main FFX character, but get saddled with a lamer FFX villain.
    Thank god Jecht is too cool for school and prevented that nightmare.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Popular where? What country, and what dimension? Personally speaking, I think he's the worst FF villain. Stupid name, no real story other than he's some alien from space who wants to become an immortal tree.

Also I don't really forsee them adding extra DLC characters. UMD space might be a factor (unless they just don't give them a story mode), and SE is well aware people would pay up the nose for a sequel with a larger cast list. It's the same reason Nintendo won't add DLC characters for Brawl. Well that and the fact that they probably have no idea what DLC is.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fawst wrote: »
    All this FFXII talk is making me wish my PS3 would get here sooner. No PS2, and I want to play it again!

You actually finished that game?

Woah.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This came from a 1up interview.
    Ikeda: The Chaos story events are great, too. Basically, one side wants to destroy the world and the other wants to rule over it, and they have conferences and things.

I was seriously hoping for this. No FF villain has the same goals for conquering the world. Guys like Kefka want to just erase all life while dudes like Sephiroth want to rule over the lives.

In-fighting among the villains sounds awesome.

• Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The concept of FF villain conferences seems so much better in my head than it could ever be in the game. Boardroom setting and everything.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Am I the only one that thinks Kefka and the Joker (Dark Knight version) have the same exact mannerisms? Like lip licking and diabolical random talk? Because Kefka is and always will be my favorite villain and his sheer madness made him a standout for me.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    edited December 2008
    It's more than obvious his latest redesign is influenced by Heath Joker. Unfortunately, Square and Nomura will never admit it and insist Kefka is their own creation and The Joker was never an influence.

I'm hoping Square NA will be more sensible and add a "Why So Serious" line during the english localization.

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's more than obvious his latest redesign is influenced by Heath Joker. Unfortunately, Square and Nomura will never admit it and insist Kefka is their own creation and The Joker was never an influence.

I'm hoping Square NA will be more sensible and add a "Why So Serious" line during the english localization.

Um, not really.

It looks near identical to the original concept art.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pata wrote: »

Um, not really.

It looks near identical to the original concept art.
    You mean that a character designed after an insane clown is almost identical to a character designed after an insane clown?! WHaaa?!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm certain his lips never went up to his ears the way they do in Dissidia, hence the likely inspiration from Heath Joker.