As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is an RPG?

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's plenty of strategy in right-clicking the "buy plasma gun" for each squad.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Mayday wrote:
    So, what to do with all those games that don't fall into the RPG category? Well, when I was a kid we used to call them by various names.
    Dungeon crawler (Might and Magic, Dungeon Master)
    Action-adventure (Ultima, Witcher?)
    Hack and Slash (Diablo, Oblivion, Nethack (I do believe roguelike is a term regarding presentation rather than gameplay)

Hes already knocked off some your examples of "RPGs" in the first post. You couldn't even manage to read the first post!

Nope, I read it, you just happen to be a jackass, Ultima V is not an action adventure, are you aware that we have these things called adjectives, which are used for describing things, and that things are not as you describe them just because you want to win an arguement and you can take things out of context?

Also, Mayday, Nethack is a dungeon crawler, a hack and slash is a game wherin the entire point of the game is to hack and slash, and most things can only be resolved by violence, I can name quite a few roguelikes with significant enough roleplaying to be called RPG's.

Couscous wrote: »
    What about the commonly used definition of RPG as involving improving character skills so bad that it should be changed?

Yeah, because stats aren't necessary for playing a role. Defining that role is.

Thread over, if you do not understand this, then do not talk until you do.

You're using a very, very narrow definition of "role playing" then.

Actors role play, but they rarely define those roles or get to choose the actions of their characters...yet I don't think anyone would realistically suggest they are not playing a role.

Roleplaying is just that. You play a role. Every game is a roleplaying game as long as you inhabit a character to some degree. I don't think "playing a role" is a useful definition for a genre. We need to define further, and I think sticking with "Your characters actions and abilities define success rather than your own" is a pretty good way to explain it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    I never thought Adventure games meant literally what they said. I just thought of them as being a clever way to say 'story game'. Or 'boring' as others might have it...

"Illogical MacGyver puzzles"?

'Boring' doesn't cover that?

I always found them more frustrating.

You might not immediately jump to such a conclusion, but adventure games breed anger too.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    Enlighten us. What is the "real" strategy game?

I-it's a game that contains strategy.

D:

What the fuck people, I did not know this would be debate club/mock trial all over again.

I don't think genre definitions are that literal.

If you need an example, I've stated numerous times that "puzzle" games, or at least the games that earn that title, don't really have much to do with solving puzzles.

That they don't fit the definition of "puzzle" literally doesn't mean the genre name isn't useful.

Internal definitions are more important to videogames than external, dictionary definitions.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never thought Adventure games meant literally what they said. I just thought of them as being a clever way to say 'story game'. Or 'boring' as others might have it...

You might not immediately jump to such a conclusion, but adventure games breed anger too.

Nah, I like Adventure games. Usually. MacGyver puzzles frustrate me to no end. Hardly boring, but not quite fun either.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OK, this defining RPG thing is hard. I say we start by defining definition. After that we will attempt to define chair.

Eventually we will all have PhDs in philosophy, be completely unemployable, and thus have lots of time to play the computer programs commonly, if erroneously, referred to as RPGs.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Actors role play, but they rarely define those roles or get to choose the actions of their characters...yet I don't think anyone would realistically suggest they are not playing a role.

Roleplaying is just that. You play a role. Every game is a roleplaying game as long as you inhabit a character to some degree. I don't think "playing a role" is a useful definition for a genre. We need to define further, and I think sticking with "Your characters actions and abilities define success rather than your own" is a pretty good way to explain it.

I disagree. Actors do define their roles. That definition is not solely by choosing actions. One character can be played many different ways by different actors. Look at the difference between characters in different runs of plays, or remakes of movies. The actors usually try to differentiate, or put a different spin on a character, even if they're constrained to the same actions. That's why they are said to play a role, and not simply recite lines.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Nah, I like Adventure games. Usually. MacGyver puzzles frustrate me to no end. Hardly boring, but not quite fun either.

I like adventure games, but the genre name doesn't really tell you much. IIRC, wasn't there a game simply called "Adventure" which sort of spawned the genre?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just want a definition of the action adventure genre.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I like adventure games, but the genre name doesn't really tell you much. IIRC, wasn't there a game simply called "Adventure" which sort of spawned the genre?

Colossal Cave Adventure.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

Couscous on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    There's plenty of strategy in right-clicking the "buy plasma gun" for each squad.
    Nuh uh.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I disagree. Actors do define their roles. That definition is not solely by choosing actions. One character can be played many different ways by different actors. Look at the difference between characters in different runs of plays, or remakes of movies. The actors usually try to differentiate, or put a different spin on a character, even if they're constrained to the same actions. That's why they are said to play a role, and not simply recite lines.

While true, that doesn't really change the argument. He's trying to argue that feeling like "This is why my character acts this way" isn't good enough, if you can't actually decide the character's actions.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

Puzzles+realtime

Done.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

"Wherein the player runs about and possibly performs actions. And usually drives a vehicle at some point. And probably jumps. And there are sometimes explosions. Must have a witty sidekick for comic relief."

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Puzzles+realtime

Done.
    Tetris is an awesome action adventure game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Puzzles+realtime

Done.

As best I can tell action/adventure seems to almost always mean "You could picture this as an Indiana Jones movie".

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    Nuh uh.

I really fucking hope there is a multiplayer mode like the singleplayer mode.

Couscous, you said Tetris wasn't a puzzle game.

A better definition would probably be:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_series

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

While true, that doesn't really change the argument. He's trying to argue that feeling like "This is why my character acts this way" isn't good enough, if you can't actually decide the character's actions.

I think it's more complicated than that. Two people can do the same thing, and still be very different people. For example, we're performing identical actions right now, posting on a forum. Why I'm posting what I'm posting and why you're posting what you're posting is what makes us different in the context of this action. Two characters don't need to perform different actions to be different.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Blowing shit up with a plot.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Nuh uh.

Good news!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Blowing shit up with a plot.

There needs to be a genre for blowing up shit without a plot. I say we call it the Michael Bay genre.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nuh uh.

Good news!

There is?

Thank god, I fucking hate most RTS games, fucking spreadsheeters always killed me dead.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I think it's more complicated than that. Two people can do the same thing, and still be very different people. For example, we're performing identical actions right now, posting on a forum. Why I'm posting what I'm posting and why you're posting what you're posting is what makes us different in the context of this action. Two characters don't need to perform different actions to be different.

Which is what I'm saying. You can easily be "role playing" without getting to define the exact actions your role involves. Our OP seems to be suggesting that is not the case.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nuh uh.

Good news!

There is?

Thank god, I fucking hate most RTS games, fucking spreadsheeters always killed me dead.

Problem with most RTS games is that they are based around build orders and micro managing unit skills. While the former is technically strategy, its hardly very satisfying in the long run.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Which is what I'm saying. You can easily be "role playing" without getting to define the exact actions your role involves. Our OP seems to be suggesting that is not the case.

Yes, I disagree horribly with the OP.

edit: I agree with you too. I don't want it to seem like I object to what you're saying.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think we were a lot happier when RPGs were explosives.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If this discussion is about RPGs, and the OP goes about defining RPGs, why does the OP immediately start talking about cRPGs and also give no definition of what a cRPG is?

e- About the topic at hand. I don't get why "Computer RPGs" fans are so butt hurt that "Japanese RPGs" are known as RPGs. The definition has been made through use. If cRPG means computer RPG, then cRPGs and jRPGs have been part of what a RPG is for 20 years now. Why are people trying to change that now?

If you want to have some special word for what a cRPG is which excludes jRPGs, then make up some new one. The term RPG has been in use for decades, get your own word. Oh wait, there is one. cRPG.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    If this discussion is about RPGs, and the OP goes about defining RPGs, why does the OP immediately start talking about cRPGs and also give no definition of what a cRPG is?

e- About the topic at hand. I don't get why "Computer RPGs" fans are so butt hurt that "Japanese RPGs" are known as RPGs. The definition has been made through use, like googling. If cRPG means computer RPG, then cRPGs and jRPGs have been part of what a RPG is for 20 years now. Why are people trying to change that now?

If you want to have some special word for what a cRPG is which excludes jRPGs, then make up some new one. The term RPG has been in use for decades, get your own word. Oh wait, there is one. cRPG.

cRPG isn't a real term, no one actually uses it outside of forum discussions.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jRPG isn't a real term, no one actually uses it outside of forum discussions.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Pretty much, though if you walked into a gamestop and asked for jrpgs, they'd probably know what you were talking about. Its not like you can't play jrpgs on the computer, many are. Which makes the term "crpg" ridiculous to me.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, the OP used the term without defining it, and this thread seems to be using the term as well. I'm sorry for having to assume the usage for the word because it was poorly defined. I think some use eastern/western games to separate the two.

This all goes with my original complaint as to why the OP has one topic title yet discusses something completely different without any defining terms of said discussion.

e- if I walked into a gamestop and asked for some RPGs, i would get both "crpgs" and jrpgs as answers, so that pretty much answers the OP when you couple it with my previous definition that words are defined from common and repeated usage.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2008
    One person has already been banned for their conduct in this thread. I'd like people to know that if they are unable to have debates about video game terminology without screaming abuse at their fellow posters that they should not post in the thread at all and should probably reevaluate some of their life choices.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Pretty much, though if you walked into a gamestop and asked for jrpgs, they'd probably know what you were talking about. Its not like you can't play jrpgs on the computer, many are. Which makes the term "crpg" ridiculous to me.

I think it's more useful to use WRPG and JRPG, but truth be told, I can't think of any PC JRPGs (aside from some multiplatform/ported titles)

Granted, there's plenty of console-based WRPGs these days.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008

I think it's more useful to use WRPG and JRPG, but truth be told, I can't think of any PC JRPGs (aside from some multiplatform/ported titles)

Granted, there's plenty of console-based WRPGs these days.

I can think of many.

They just tend to have porn in them.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Didn't the Ys series start out on computers?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think that genre titles are the sort of thing that everyone understands as long as no one tries to define them.

Sorta like colors, there's no limit to how many can be combined in one painting. The painting of the forest is described as green not because green is the only color used, but because it's the most predominant color. It's just a shorthand for people who are lazy.

Likewise, people can debate whether orange is more red or more yellow until they're blue (sorry) in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that "it's both" is an equally valid answer.
    No, I'm not on drugs, but thanks for asking.

What I'm trying to say is that acting as if all games must fall into certain categories is a disservice to the medium.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think that genre titles are the sort of thing that everyone understands as long as no one tries to define them.
    I am not getting into an argument over whether the Zapper is orange or red.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It's oranred.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

It's oranred.

Damned heretics.

zapperzp6.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »

It's oranred.

Damned heretics.

zapperzp6.jpg

That trigger looks red to me.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.