Options

Team Fortress 2 - DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD

• Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The game seems to flow better, but that may be due to not having all-talk piping for hours.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr.Zsasz wrote: »
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Destructable stickies definitely affect good demomen when they keep you from stickying up a sentry at long range.

Sentry-tanking (and engineers in general) are a lot stronger now. Previously, most sentry tanks could be destroyed with Soldier by shooting the wall or floor near the engie to kill him with splash. Now that he's getting ultra-fast healing from a level 3 Dispenser, it's much more of a crapshoot. Combined with the sticky nerf (which only seems to matter when you're stickying buildings) and the insane teleporter buff, engineers are much stronger now than they were.

Incorrect.

If you are that far away from a sentry, you should be using grenades to destroy it. Easiest thing in the world to do. Three grenades. Two if anyone else on your team fires one shot at the sentry. Engies can't repair fast enough.

This really is only a nerf to bad demomen. I use grenades constantly and I didn't notice a bit of difference after playing for 2 hours tonight.

What mystical land do you come from where grenades have more range than stickies?

EDIT: Does anyone know if higher level dispensers have more HP too? It seems like after the new updates, breaking the engineer turtles really is going to be all about being able to take down the dispenser.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr.ZsaszMr.Zsasz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously? Do people really not know this? Grenades are far far superior to stickies for destroying at a distance. Especially if you're out of the sentries range. Arc your shots and fire them off quickly. They'll land on the sentry such a very quick succession that the Engy has absolutely no chance of saving his sentry, even if he's whacking it constantly. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any damage dropoff on nades is there? Just practice your aim and it'll only take a couple seconds to lineup your shots and destroy a far off sentry.

This is why I don't really understand the changes to layout in goldrush 1-2. That part of the map is perhaps the easiest location from any map to do what I'm talking about. All the normal sentry spots are far enough away from ledges/balconies/other random areas that you can take a couple seconds and easily get rid of whatever defense Red has set up. I've never had a problem destroying the defense there and capping unless I have a completely balls team. They should make some changes to the goldrush 3-3 if anything.

Mr.Zsasz on
    Returning some video tapes.
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Real demos play engy.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So engineer and spy both updated, and scout coming. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Now thats out, does this make my hidden base building behind enemy lines more effective? What about spying, how useful is the new cloak recharge? And how do the new engineer buildings look? And will you other Euro's play with me tonight?

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously? Do people really not know this? Grenades are far far superior to stickies for destroying at a distance. Especially if you're out of the sentries range. Arc your shots and fire them off quickly. They'll land on the sentry such a very quick succession that the Engy has absolutely no chance of saving his sentry, even if he's whacking it constantly. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any damage dropoff on nades is there? Just practice your aim and it'll only take a couple seconds to lineup your shots and destroy a far off sentry.

This is why I don't really understand the changes to layout in goldrush 1-2. That part of the map is perhaps the easiest location from any map to do what I'm talking about. All the normal sentry spots are far enough away from ledges/balconies/other random areas that you can take a couple seconds and easily get rid of whatever defense Red has set up. I've never had a problem destroying the defense there and capping unless I have a completely balls team. They should make some changes to the goldrush 3-3 if anything.

That's fine and all if there's no pressure from the other team. Most of the time though, standing still for a few seconds is asking for a bullet in your head and a crocket up your ass. Plus having only a 4 grenade clip means you get only one shot to check your trajectory. Your 2nd to 4th shots have to hit. If you miss or get interrupted, then the engineer has enough time to repair and everything is for naught.

Stickies are simply a better option because you don't have to be as accurate and you can be more mobile in between shots. And they're stronger with a larger blast radius so there is more collateral.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TechBoy wrote: »

That's fine and all if there's no pressure from the other team. Most of the time though, standing still for a few seconds is asking for a bullet in your head and a crocket up your ass. Plus having only a 4 grenade clip means you get only one shot to check your trajectory. Your 2nd to 4th shots have to hit. If you miss or get interrupted, then the engineer has enough time to repair and everything is for naught.

Stickies are simply a better option because you don't have to be as accurate and you can be more mobile in between shots. And they're stronger with a larger blast radius so there is more collateral.

this. plus if you scatter them around you can often get the engie his dispenser, the sentry and if its about the tele too. the lack of accuracy needed for stickies is the killed feature. it means you can do it with push back in an uber etc.

that said, i know an absolutely amazing demoman, who can take stuff out with nades, but he usually has a dedicated medic..

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Level 3 dispensers don't carry any more metal as well, they just dispense more and regain it faster. So now you medics actually have to run in front of your uberee all the time.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    WHAT IS GOING ON!? Is there a new update out?

If there is, how the fuck did I miss it when I've been lurking this thread like mad!?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This really is only a nerf to bad demomen.

I think this is the point. Even bad demomen (me) could still demobowl it up, just laying an infinite carpet of stickies and never taking any damage. Stickies are still useful, but really you can't just be a terrible demo and rack up at least 8 kills per life anymore.

And I wouldn't get too attached to these new buildings as they are. They said they're just testing them out widespread. I'm sure they'll be tweaked in the future. I hope they fix the spy getting screwed by overhealing. Although infinitely standing on a dispenser is awesome. I only died when Mandalore came wandering by and hit it.

Asiina on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, the engineer stuff has already been updated? I thought it was coming with the scout pack! Time to play!

(after I grind some more in Persona 3)

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just tested the new upgrades. Teleporters the are the business! But could have done with some model upgrades like the dispenser.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dispensers need jukebox option after upgrades

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    marty wrote: »

They should pipe Weird Al's The Hardware Store.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The thread title is hilarious

Impersonator on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't get to play last night. Will the Spy's cloak charge from ammo when he is cloaked?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Then I'd never play anything other than Engineer and I'd never leave my dispenser.

Peewi on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't get to play last night. Will the Spy's cloak charge from ammo when he is cloaked?

Yup, you can be an infinite hide machine.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thoughts on the changes:
    Engineers:
    I like this change a lot. Offensive engies are much more useful, and one fully upgraded teleporter can basically get your entire team to the front lines. Upgraded dispensers are also really useful, but now you need to prioritize which structure to upgrade. Makes playing engy a lot less monotonous.

Engy feels really different now... you definitely have to strategize on what to build. It takes a LONG time to build up a fully leveled base, but its also much more defendable, so it's a nice balance.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've noticed that the crit glow in the death notifications is red regardless of the team the killer. I wonder if that's intended.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TechBoy wrote: »

this. plus if you scatter them around you can often get the engie his dispenser, the sentry and if its about the tele too. the lack of accuracy needed for stickies is the killed feature. it means you can do it with push back in an uber etc.

that said, i know an absolutely amazing demoman, who can take stuff out with nades, but he usually has a dedicated medic..

It's not hard, far from it, it's goddamn simple. Stickes have the advantage in situations where:

There's more than 1 target you want to take out, you could get the Sentry and the Engineer with pipes, chances are you won't get the dispenser or the tele exit or the 3 crippled players huddled around the dispenser. 3 stickies, all gone.

You don't have the distance to safely strafe out, pop out fire sticky, back into cover, all before the sentry rotates toward you, repeat as required. This is slightly boned if there is an engineer there, but if there is, just blow them up 1 at a time, the fucker can't shoot them and repair his sentry at the same time.

Stickies do have, charged up ofc, more range than pipes, also more damage.

Getting shit round corners, you can see that sentry's barrels just poking round the corner, you jump around, you're fucked, stickies at the corner, no more sentry.

And many many more, If you're interested in more sticky situations buy my book. It's called, "You're fucking ugly" available now.

There's no damage drop off on stickies or pipes, btw.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how people are complaining that the sticky changes won't make any difference

Good.

There's nothing wrong with demomen you just all suck so much

C'mon Ginger let's roll we're out of here.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I used to like you, Edcrab.

But now, I could never be friends with someone so stupid.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I love how people are complaining that the sticky changes won't make any difference

Good.

C'mon Ginger let's roll we're out of here.

Yes let us roll.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You can't talk to my Edcrab that way!

Asiina on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The sticky changes prevent a giant fucking minefield.

That's fine.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    whoa, whoa, wait.

Spies can recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo?

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS

definitely playing this tonight

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Because you suck orikae

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    you are going to die over and over again.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    whoa, whoa, wait.

I tried to tell you but you kept inviting me to games I'm not playing.

Asiina on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I used to like you, Edcrab.

But now, I could never be friends with someone so stupid.

Cry some more you muttering piscine beastie

This is yet another tweak to undermine the lame tactic of mining the entire map. Which, as said, won't make the slightest bit of difference to people who can actually play the class. And anyone who wants further changes is clutching at straws.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    whoa, whoa, wait.

I tried to tell you but you kept inviting me to games I'm not playing.

i invited you once, when you weren't in any games, and the sole thing you said to me was 'no'. i would have appreciated it if you'd actually tried to tell me, though.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played last night, but I did awful. What the hell happened to me? I plan on having a personal training montage on Wednesday to remedy this. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to go back to medic and start from the bottom up. D:

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm liking these changes so far.

I don't even mind the spy cloaking buff, as long as they don't revert the overhealed particles showing up.

Because it also happens to show up on disguised spies. Which means if you're a BLU spy disguised as RED and a RED medic overheals you, blue particles start swirling around you.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm liking these changes so far.

I don't even mind the spy cloaking buff, as long as they don't revert the overhealed particles showing up.

Because it also happens to show up on disguised spies. Which means if you're a BLU spy disguised as RED and a RED medic overheals you, blue particles start swirling around you.

D: I hope this gets fixed.

Also, I learned that the amount of time it takes for a large ammo crate to respawn is exactly how long it takes for a full cloak to deplete. ;D

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    you are going to die over and over again.
    i can't hear you over my being a crab cloaked indefinitely

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When edcrab and Ginger roll, they mean they move to better towns apart from the crapholes they live in ie. Kirkcaldy and/or Bolton

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Then I'd never play anything other than Engineer and I'd never leave my dispenser.

infinite hoedown

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think that the overheal effect is nice. It quickly reveals if you're healing a spy, because it isn't affected by disguises. For some reason it still shows if you're cloaked, which really sucks for spies.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yay, new stuff. I'll try this again some time soon.

Fuga on
This discussion has been closed.