As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Riddick Dark Athena AKA Vin Diesel Mancrush Thread

GibbGibb Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
What is Riddick: Dark Athena?

Dark Athena is a full featured, from the ground up remake of the Xbox game, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. But it also has a full fledged sequel packed in. Named Dark Athena, it takes place immediately after events of Butcher Bay, Riddick and Johns are captured by a Mercenary ship named the Dark Athena. Not only that, but you also get a new multiplayer component featuring more modes then the simple Team Deathmatch. All of this on one disc.

vinlol.jpg
When can I buy it?

Gametrailers says March 24, 2009, but Gamestop says 4/7/2009. So who knows!?

What can I buy it on?

PS3, PC, and Xbox 360.

New Gameplay!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44628.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44630.html
Even more gameplay.
INTERVIEW!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43451.html

PRETTY PICTARS
thumb1280x1280_3078290724_ca3f978280_o.jpg
thumb1280x1280_3077459871_62c5aac23a_o.jpg
thumb1280x1280_3077459677_e81e379a88_o.jpg

Gibb on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This still coming to PS3?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not based on any movie I've seen but still completely awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This still coming to PS3?

Yes. And PC. I'll put that in the OP.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Not based on any movie I've seen but still completely awesome.

Hah, thats very true.

Gibb on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    So it will have all the story content of the first games?

Earlier reports of its transformation into something bigger were vague on that subject. For some reason I find their comments towards that point still slightly elusive.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fuckin' A it's still coming to PS3. I had heard rumors that it had gone 360-exclusive.

One of the few OXbox games I got to enjoy before the system shit out on me. Absolutely loved it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I will buy this day 1. The original game was amazing.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, make sure to rent The Darkness, while it isn't as good as Riddick, its still fuck awesome.

Starbreeze is so great.

Gibb on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    :^:

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Earlier reports of its transformation into something bigger were vague on that subject. For some reason I find their comments towards that point still slightly elusive.

Imagine if you will the entirety of Butcher Bay being an unlockable within this game, with updated visuals. Because that is what you get. Kinda of like the Orange Box, you get HL2 for free!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Don't think Butcher Bay is playing second fiddle to Dark Athena with a quick, dirty port job. The original game has purportedly been "virtually recreated" by Starbreeze's artists. The levels and character models have been given a new detail pass, or completely remodeled in some cases. The engine (an improved version of the one from The Darkness) is now using uncompressed motion data, giving much finer movements. So you'll see characters' individual fingers moving instead of the entire hand moving at once like a mitten, for example.

New AI routines are going into Dark Athena, and those will be rolled back into Butcher Bay as well, so the prison guards there will be able to knock over tables for cover and blind fire around corners. And the entire experience is receiving some other difficulty tweaks to make it play more smoothly. Dark Athena's team is made up partially of the core team from Butcher Bay; this all sounds a little like a labor of love, for these guys to get to go back and create the definitive version of an already excellent game.

I always wanted to play this game, but then I heard of the remake and decided to wait.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, I never did finish this game but it was so good. I'm definitely going to buy this when it comes out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Awesome. First game was a lot of fun. One of the few games with a developer commentary mode as well.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gibb wrote: »
    Also, make sure to rent The Darkness, while it isn't as good as Riddick, its still fuck awesome.

Starbreeze is so great.

Loved Riddick, but wasn't too fond of The Darkness.

Your character felt weightless, which seems like a small complaint, but it's enough to really throw me off.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Awesome. First game was a lot of fun. One of the few games with a developer commentary mode as well.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh my god, why don't I remember that.

Gibb on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Commentary may have been PC only?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish more games included dev commentary. I really enjoyed it in Portal, but I can't think of any other games that have it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, obviously, the other Orange Box games (except HL2, right?). Left 4 Dead, too.

Other than that I can't think of any.

freakish light on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me wantie.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DO WANT.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As one of the few honest fans of Riddick and associated series (what?), this will be a must-buy.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Riddick was the first game I ever bought for Xbox.. twice. See the night I purchased my Xbox and the game to go with it my dog got at the box and tore the disk to shreds. The next day I went back to the store shoulders slumped while I bought another 50 dollar copy of that game, nearly strangling the register jockey when he said, "You wouldn't be in this mess if you just insured your disk. :D"

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    damn, I need to get this
    escape from butcher bay was amazing, one of my favourite games

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

yeah, me too
    I didn't even do that in HL2..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh hell yes!

This will be amazingly awesome. The original kept me hooked to my Xbox, whilst completing it on normal was a one day affair, hard mode made it so damned brilliant. The setting and atmosphere was fantastic. This game is what I think of as "Best Xbox game I've ever played".

This remake makes me grateful I got my hands on a 360 recently :D

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never had a OXbox and I heard some bad stuff about playing BB on the 360 so this news has got be really pumped. I'm not as sad that I passed on it as I was earlier!

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Narian wrote: »
    I never had a OXbox and I heard some bad stuff about playing BB on the 360 so this news has got be really pumped. I'm not as sad that I passed on it as I was earlier!

Yeah, you can't play it on 360. Apparently Riddick did some pretty crazy hardware tricks that couldn't be replicated on the 360.

Gibb on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So looking forward to this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What was so great about the first Riddick: Butcher's Bay? I missed out on it, I didnt' even know it was released for the PC.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    What was so great about the first Riddick: Butcher's Bay? I missed out on it, I didnt' even know it was released for the PC.

It was a kickass first-person adventure/shooter even for the people who aren't normally into FPS. Really story-driven and just really damn fun overall. Plus it was quite a looker.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »

Awesome Immersion, visceral combat, about the best graphics on the oXbox, tight shooting mechanics, and VIN DIESEL!!!!

vin-diesel-picture-1.jpg <(Hay guys im vin diesel and im so cool so yeah)

Gibb on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Vin Diesel is awesome.

Not many celebrities will admit to regularly playing D&D.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Vin Diesel needs to stop taking paychecks and get back to decent movies. Fast and Furious is such a guilty pleasure movie, Pitch Black is one of my favourite of all time. No really.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Day 1 no question. I never played Butcher's Bay but bought The Darkness day 1 based upon the positive feedback it got on these boards. The Darkness ended up being my GotY for 2k7 and rests easily in my top 5 games of all time. This is my most anticipated game right now.

corin7 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I figured this was about Goldeneye

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I figured this was about Goldeneye

Hah, I was wondering when this would happen! Took alot longer then I thought.

Gibb on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Vin Diesel needs to stop taking paychecks and get back to decent movies. Fast and Furious is such a guilty pleasure movie, Pitch Black is one of my favourite of all time. No really.

I had high hopes for Babylon A.D. (good director, source novel sounds decent enough), but apparently it's not all that great. Shame.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, you should change the OP to reflect what this thread is actually about. I think a lot of people are going to get excited about this and they'd probably like to chat about it.

I loved BB on the XBox but I never finished it; I've been looking forward to this remake/sequel/whatever since I found out that the original wasn't really backward compatible.

Peen on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best way to describe Butcher Bay is that it's like GoldenEye. Remember how great that was when it came out? Sure, FPS's had been done before, but not like that one? Same thing here. Graphically it was a diagonal step forward. While it was an improvement in some senses to other FPS's, it was also not the BEST, graphically. Same with BB. It looked amazing, but it was flawed a bit. Didn't matter. The game fucking ruled. It added really fun gameplay mechanics throughout the game that kept it interesting.

This looks so great, and I can't wait to get it. BB was amazing.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, you should change the OP to reflect what this thread is actually about. I think a lot of people are going to get excited about this and they'd probably like to chat about it.

Changed it.

Gibb on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fawst wrote: »
    The best way to describe Butcher Bay is that it's like GoldenEye. Remember how great that was when it came out? Sure, FPS's had been done before, but not like that one? Same thing here. Graphically it was a diagonal step forward. While it was an improvement in some senses to other FPS's, it was also not the BEST, graphically. Same with BB. It looked amazing, but it was flawed a bit. Didn't matter. The game fucking ruled. It added really fun gameplay mechanics throughout the game that kept it interesting.

This looks so great, and I can't wait to get it. BB was amazing.

I seem to remember it was the first mass market game out with normal mapping.

Also, fun fact:

When Vin Diesel was born, the nurse said, "Holy crap! That's Vin Diesel!", then she had had sex with him.
    At that point, she was the third girl he had slept with.

Recoil42 on