As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: We don't need no guardsmen, let the M'Fers burn

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I was a lookin through the new SM Codex, and I came across a peculiar puzzle. BEsides killing the crew, how do you destroy a Thunderfire Cannon? It makes reference to this in the Thunderfire Cannon unit description, saying the Techmarine cannot use his special rules until the Cannon is destroyed, but there are no statistics listed for it besides the Techmarines.

Pg. 55 under Artillery, first heading "The Unit"

"The gun models are treated as vehicles with an Armor Rating of 10 (See the vehicles section). Any glancing or penetrating hit will destroy a gun - do not roll on the vehicles damage table, the gun model is simply removed"

Thunderfire Cannon gets less and less cool, eh? :P
    DuckODoom wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »
    chains, different poses, cooler jump packs.

SJ doesn't want 2 Sternguard boxes so that the models are in different poses and don't all look the same. but, it doesn't matter cause they'd be more suited for Vanguard and not Sternguard

I think the vanguard look a lot better than the DC

Ok, you hate the DC models... I get it. I was just trying to offer SJ additional options.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Duck'O'DoomDuck'O'Doom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DuckODoom wrote: »
    chains, different poses, cooler jump packs.

SJ doesn't want 2 Sternguard boxes so that the models are in different poses and don't all look the same. but, it doesn't matter cause they'd be more suited for Vanguard and not Sternguard

I think the vanguard look a lot better than the DC

Ok, you hate the DC models... I get it. I was just trying to offer SJ additional options.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate DC they look awesome but I think that Vanguard look just as good (as do DC) but in terms of practicality for vanilla chapters Vanguard and Assault Marines take the cake.

Duck'O'Doom on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay.

mockup4.jpg

Conceptually, this is how it works. It outputs the individual rolls down below, so you see what rolled what. You can toggle which fields you want to 'grab' and put in the 'dice to roll' box up at the top by tapping the individual numbers - for example, right now, if we hit that button, it would put 7 where that 19 is. However, if we hit the field below '3's' first, it'd turn green instead of red, and then it'd replace the 19 up top with an 11, instead of a 7. This way, you can isolate the saves you want.

The reroll is done before the numbers at the bottom are shown. I figured what they were beforehand would be irrelevant 90% of the time.

I added a D3 button on the quick bar

Does this about cover everything?

Ein on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You might want to check the filter maths there - 1+5+2 is not 7 and 4+3+4 isn't 12 either. However 1+5+2+4+3+3 does equal 7+12.

Of course it could just be a concept drawing, so meh.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Anything involving a horde army would eat you

tRaslin burna boyz are not considered very good mostly due to not having a dedicated transport option and thus being mostly killed before they get close to the enemy. If you run them in a looted wagon they should do fine. I dunno about 'ard case though, you'd want to keep it open topped so you can get them stuck in asap

Ohh wow, I had never even read about open topped vehicles that transport(always assumed it was basically a way to make something weaker by giving +1 on damage table). Now that I know about the benefits, I'll definitely keep it open topped.

Now, then, I'm thinking a red paint job, armour plates, and a single big shoota(to prevent armament destroyed making it immobilized). 55 points feels expensive though, for an ork transport.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    You might want to check the filter maths there - 1+5+2 is not 7 and 4+3+4 isn't 12 either. However 1+5+2+4+3+3 does equal 7+12.

Of course it could just be a concept drawing, so meh.

Whatever, I was changing numbers as I went and probably just forgot to check over things again, you get the idea. It's just a drawing.

Ein on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well it looked like a screengrab ;P.

Damn, I just realized if I'm not coming to Newark, I'd better track down and mail those grenade launchers.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ein wrote: »
    Okay.
    Does this about cover everything?

It covers everything except how quickly can I have it.

Too bad there probably isn't a way to get me a copy before tomorrow. I'd run it through the Apoc game as a test.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New rumor. In new IG codex, the Leman Russ will cost 35 points.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So overpriced

Raslin on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    New rumor. In new IG codex, the Leman Russ will cost 35 points.

It will also fire a Strength D 10" blast.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe sans main weapon? Battle Cannon +100 points?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Honestly, for IG, I wouldn't like something like that. Perhaps have a base cost, and then something like...

Base: 35
    Standard Leman Russ: +100
    --Hull HB: +5
    --Hull Lascannon: +15
    --Sponsons: etc etc
    Demolisher: +110
    --Blah
    --Blah
    Exterminator: +85
    --Blah

And so on and so forth. But they shouldn't be too customizable, they're working from STC's after all

Raslin on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Honestly, for IG, I wouldn't like something like that. Perhaps have a base cost, and then something like...

--Blah
    --Blah
    --Blah

And so on and so forth. But they shouldn't be too customizable, they're working from STC's after all

I would love for there to be an option for
    --Reinforced Hull: +-- Adds +1 to side and rear armor.

Kind of like the Demolisher's stats, but accessible across all Leman Russes. Having your Leman Russ blow up because a god damn bolt PISTOL can penetrate the rear armor is beyond ridiculous.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/dicehammer/generaldice.html

The template's been HTML'ed, and works just right on the iphone. Now for javascript!

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The template's been HTML'ed, and works just right on the iphone. Now for javascript!

I pulled up the link on my iphone but it doesn't seem to do anything but show the interface. Is there a trick to get it to work?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think it is just the interface for now.

Also, I'm really looking forward to this.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think it is just the interface for now.

Also, I'm really looking forward to this.

Doh, I miss read it. I see where he said "Template"

Doh.

*edit* It looks perfect on my iPhone, Ein.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's just the template.

I want to get at least the general dice rolling part done by tomorrow so that I can use it for my apocalypse game too :P

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's just the template.

I want to get at least the general dice rolling part done by tomorrow so that I can use it for my apocalypse game too :P

Considering I only have 37 models in my Apoc list I'm not to worried. This thing could have really been useful last apoc game when I fielded the 300 conscripts.:winky:

Rolling three + bricks of dice per platoon was both scarry and awesome at the same time.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Rolling three + bricks of dice per platoon is the reason apocalypse games take forever and are exhausting and stop being fun towards the end, at least as far as outcome determination goes. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

--Blah
    --Blah
    --Blah

I would love for there to be an option for
    --Reinforced Hull: +-- Adds +1 to side and rear armor.

Kind of like the Demolisher's stats, but accessible across all Leman Russes. Having your Leman Russ blow up because a god damn bolt PISTOL can penetrate the rear armor is beyond ridiculous.
    I don't see anything at all ridiculous about a tank going up because someone fired into its engine with a handheld minature grenade launcher.:P
    *edit* especially since in this edition, the worst that can happen is immobilization.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rolling three + bricks of dice per platoon is the reason apocalypse games take forever and are exhausting and stop being fun towards the end, at least as far as outcome determination goes. :P

Hence why I'm only bringing 37 models. Granted two of those models cost 1250 points together. :P

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I had fun with my 13 model, 3k point Apocalypse army. It also made for real fast deploy, since it was four units total.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I had fun with my 13 model, 3k point Apocalypse army. It also made for real fast deploy, since it was four units total.

What where they?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I was a lookin through the new SM Codex, and I came across a peculiar puzzle. BEsides killing the crew, how do you destroy a Thunderfire Cannon? It makes reference to this in the Thunderfire Cannon unit description, saying the Techmarine cannot use his special rules until the Cannon is destroyed, but there are no statistics listed for it besides the Techmarines.

Pg. 55 under Artillery, first heading "The Unit"

"The gun models are treated as vehicles with an Armor Rating of 10 (See the vehicles section). Any glancing or penetrating hit will destroy a gun - do not roll on the vehicles damage table, the gun model is simply removed"

Thunderfire Cannon gets less and less cool, eh? :P

That's why you put in cover so at least it gets a "save." As for it's usefulness, I've seen the Thunderfire utterly decimate enemy lines- especially Orks and Niddies EDIT: IG too. The trick is to have enough extra crazy crap on the board that there are too many more pressing priority targets to address. This is tough for smaller Elite Armies like Deathwing and Thousand Sons to deal with; given that we have even less (though more potent) shooting to ration out through a myriad of targets. Also, given it's cheap-as-hell low price and awesome-sauce range it's really not that bad. 8-)

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The URL's long, but it all works. :) Give it a try. Fits great on the iphone.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

YOU FIT GREAT ON AN iPHONE
    <3

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The thunderfire cannon in my army is probably the most efficient thing in it, I would run three but people would hate me.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited January 2009

I put for filters what I need to roll right? Guardsmen hitting on 4's for example.

*edit* Everything seems to work great! I love the use previous results button. Should make rolling wounds faster.

I'll give it a battlefield shakedown tomorrow.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009

I put for filters what I need to roll right? Guardsmen hitting on 4's for example.

*edit* Everything seems to work great! I love the use previous results button. Should make rolling wounds faster.

You can actually modify what the 'use previous results' button does by tapping the results fields below the "1's: 2's:..." themselves. It turns them green; green fields get totalled up for the new dice amount number. Did this so it would still work for if you wanted to quickly put saves in, instead of wounds.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I really hope new IG squads have an option for a spotter. Have it be an upgrade for one regular guardsmen, gives them BS4 that they can confer to a unit in the squad instead of shooting themselves. They can't carry special/heavy weapons themselves, though.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited January 2009

You can actually modify what the 'use previous results' button does by tapping the results fields below the "1's: 2's:..." themselves. It turns them green; green fields get totalled up for the new dice amount number. Did this so it would still work for if you wanted to quickly put saves in, instead of wounds.

Wow that's pretty awesome. I assume that return to menu will do something in the future.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I really hope new IG squads have an option for a spotter. Have it be an upgrade for one regular guardsmen, gives them BS4 that they can confer to a unit in the squad instead of shooting themselves. They can't carry special/heavy weapons themselves, though.

I'd like to see some form of "stand and shoot" special rule for certain Guard units. Also variable lasgun settings (which are supposedly in actually.)

Frankly I want to see the book done in a form not unlike Chaos Space Marines. For Troops choices, you have a normal unit of "Imperial Guardsmen" (like generic Chaos Space Marines) who're versatile but lacking in special abilities, and then have "named" units such as "Vostroyan First Born" "Death Korps of Krieg" "Catachan Jungle Fighters" etc, that have their own profile pages and rules like Khorne Berzerkers, Thousand Sons etc.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I'd like to see some form of "stand and shoot" special rule for certain Guard units. Also variable lasgun settings (which are supposedly in actually.)

Frankly I want to see the book done in a form not unlike Chaos Space Marines. For Troops choices, you have a normal unit of "Imperial Guardsmen" (like generic Chaos Space Marines) who're versatile but lacking in special abilities, and then have "named" units such as "Vostroyan First Born" "Death Korps of Krieg" "Catachan Jungle Fighters" etc, that have their own profile pages and rules like Khorne Berzerkers, Thousand Sons etc.

I think "stand and shoot" should allow an infantry squad a free shooting attack at an enemy unit assaulting them and forgo their assault attacks. It would be at Initiative 10 to actually allow an IG unit to do something before dieing horribly.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm hoping to see hotshot packs make an appearance beyond Inquisitor and Dark Heresy

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In other news the Siege of Vraks is frakkin awesome. Can't wait for vol 2 with the Deathguard and World Eaters. =D =D =D

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think "stand and shoot" should allow an infantry squad a free shooting attack at an enemy unit assaulting them and forgo their assault attacks. It would be at Initiative 10 to actually allow an IG unit to do something before dieing horribly.

Balance would be the troublesome part, a single Flamer Burst would kill enough charging gaunts points-wise to warrant the death of the IG squad, regardless if they do any other damage from shooting (which they will).

As for variable lasgun settings, yeah hotshot packs would be interesting. I think you're going to see Lasguns have an Assault 1 option, the standard rapid fire, and a single shot Heavy 1 S4 shot or something like that.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man

When they existed solely on paper, as part of an army that I had no interaction with, I mocked lasguns

"What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?" we would all chortle, already knowing the answer

It wasn't until I started playing Guard that I realized lasguns are to be feared.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Man

When they existed solely on paper, as part of an army that I had no interaction with, I mocked lasguns

"What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?" we would all chortle, already knowing the answer

It wasn't until I started playing Guard that I realized lasguns are to be feared.

1 lasgun shot is a joke. 100 are not.

No-Quarter on