As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kitties!

zilozilo Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
The girlfriend and I are adopting a pair of 3 month old kittens (2 males, same litter) from a local rescue group. We've both had cats before but my old cat was adopted when he was 10 months old and hers was when she was 5 years old.

What do we need to know about the care and feeding of teeny tiny cats? We're picking them up next weekend to give us time to kittenproof our condo (and for them to get neutered). We know to put cardboard around the fridge and stove, but what else? Is there a surefire way to keep kittens from chewing on power cords? I guess we're supposed to feed them wet food 3 times a day... for how long?

I beseech thee, H&A cat experts, for answers to these questions and any other kitten-related advice you care to offer. I'll post pics once we bring them home.

zilo on

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think they should be old enough to eat dry food. You can mix it with wet food at first if you really want, but I don't think it's necessary. You should also be able to feed them twice a day or start them on the self-feeding process.

You can try spraying cords with bitter apple or spraying the cats with water when they are naughty. You may also want to buy scratching posts so they don't start going after the furniture. Try to get them used to you touching their feet now so that later you can clip their nails without them wigging out.

Quoth on
  • Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You may want to keep giving them a mixture of wet/dry. Male cats are more prone to develop crystals, and it's not fun to deal with.

Some dry foods are OK for cats with this problem, but your regular run of the mill dry food is shit. One of my cats has this - and I give them a mix of wet/good quality dry, and he hasn't had any re-occurrences in about a year now.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As long as they've been checked out by a vet and everything is good there...they're really not that hard to take care of. Especially in pairs, because they'll cuddle each other and play and keep company when you're busy.

12 weeks is a good age to take a kitten home. Just buy some kitten chow, Purina Kitten food is what I gave mine and she was only 8 weeks old when I got her. They are pretty hardy little creatures.

I don't know where you live, but if there is a half price books or hastings or borders or just any kind of used/discount book store you should go look at the pets section. There are always a ton of books on cats and kittens. Just browse through them.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Put the kitty in the kitter litter, and scratch the kitty litter. This is cat talk for 'shit and piss here'.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What's a good age to wean them off of the wet/dry mix? Regardless we're going to keep them on the same diet their foster caretaker had them on for a little while (Royal Canin dry, Max Cat wet food twice a day) to minimize the changes they have to endure while getting adjusted to their new home. General cat care stuff isn't a mystery to us but it'll be interesting to see what sorts of mischief kittens can get into.

Have any of you done the "safe room" introduction thing, where you put all their stuff in a single room and keep them in there for the first 48 hours, or is it okay to just show them where the litter is and let them run around willy-nilly (worked fine with my old cat, but he was quite a bit older when we got him)?

zilo on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It should be fine with the safe-room introduction. I picked up a stray a little while ago, and made her a little litter box, didn't even have to put her in it, and she figured it out within about an hour. Once they figure out where to go, you should be fine with letting them into the rest of the house.

Also, compressed air is a great deterrent if you don't want to spray water all over the cats. :P

Aurin on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My kitten was a 3 month old shelter kitten and when I got home I set up her food, water and litter box. I took her out of the carrier and showed where they were then let her have free reign of the apartment. She figured everything out. Granted for the first few weeks she treated the litter box like a sand box and played in it and rolled around but she got over that. Her main diet has always been dry food, and she gets wet food once a week as a treat with some dry food mixed in. She's not a chewer so I haven't had any problems there. I know for dogs they make a sour apple spray you can spray on things to keep the animal from chewing on them though.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    I'll post pics once we bring them home.

*Cough*:P

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A pair of kittens will pretty much take care of themselves. I've never had any problem with dry food, and I've lived with lots and lots of cats. If they're pooping in the right place, that's like 75% of your worries taken care of already. Otherwise, just give them lots of attention and get them used to you touching them (especially their paws, for future trimming) and handling them. If they have any disciplinary problems, whacking the object (not the cat!) with a newspaper or making a loud noise as you scold / remove the cat should take care of it. If that fails, cats really hate vinegar. Just understand that most of the time the cat is just being innocently curious, and it's your job to teach it what's cool and not cool to do.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Put the kitty in the kitter litter, and scratch the kitty litter. This is cat talk for 'shit and piss here'.

Really, that's about all you need to do, too. I did that for my cat when he was a kitten, and he never shit anywhere else again. It's like they're drawn to the litterbox instictually.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Really, that's about all you need to do, too. I did that for my cat when he was a kitten, and he never shit anywhere else again. It's like they're drawn to the litterbox instictually.

Well, I think they have a strong instinctual desire to cover/bury their crap (they do this outside as well), and more than likely this is the only place inside your house where they'll be physically able to do so. So yeah, they'll generally pick up on it pretty quick.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ApplechipsApplechips Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Which is why, in a pinch, they will also choose a potted plant.

Applechips on
  • Options
    bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Applechips wrote: »
    Which is why, in a pinch, they will also choose a potted plant.

Or buckets of sand. If you have sand or gravel for craft type objects, make sure to keep a lid on it. I learned this the hard way.

bigpanda on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Better that than a steamer on your pillow, I suppose.

So we spent the day kittenproofing our condo. The little guys get neutered on Tuesday and we're picking them up Thursday or Friday. We did the big Petco run today. Looks like it's going to be an imagination Christmas for us. Yay! Imagination Christmas!

The plan is to confine them to the kitchen w/ their litterbox, carrier / bed which we'll line with our old t-shirts, food and water, and a crapload of toys and scratching thingamajigs. On Saturday we'll open it up and let them explore / hide in the rest of the place one room at a time.

Also, I found this stuff called Bitter Yuck to keep them from chewing on electrical cords. According to the label it's a mixture of water, sodium bicarbonate (which, according to wikipedia, can be used to remove semen from upholstry- learning is fun!), and .5% rosemary. I made the terrible, terrible mistake of tasting it. It is without a doubt the most awful thing I've ever put in my mouth, and I've tried haggis.

One more question. Anyone got a kitten-safe treat they'd like to recommend? We've used the Pounce brand soft treats before but the bottle says it's not safe for kittens.

zilo on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I'll post pics once we bring them home.

*Cough*:P
    *COUGH COUGH AHEM*

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2008
    Don't give them all of the toys at once. I've always rotated toys so as soon as they get bored of one, there is a new one to play with (and by the time we get back to the first toy they have forgotten all about it)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not sure if it will be necessary but you might want to look into some kind of child-proof locks for your closets. I found out the hard way that cats can learn to open closets and eat shoes.

Quoth on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I take my new kitten to the vet today to get spayed. We just adopted her from the humane society a couple weeks ago.

It makes me sad, I hope she doesn't think we abandoned her :(.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wouldn't worry about treats right now. I've never really found any that are designed for kittens specifically and because they eat so little at a time at that age its most important to make sure whatever they do eat is nutritionally sound. They will be more excited at the thought of playing with something as a treat than the food in my experience.

If you're worried about getting them used to scratching posts, just pick them up anytime they scratch anything and put them at their post, praise them for any efforts there. (I have not found any real value in shouting or spraying them when they are scratching something, because then they run away and you can't grab them to show them what to do instead, but thats your call I guess). My cats only took a few weeks to get used to their designated scratching areas.

Scratching posts do need to be in socially relevant areas. You can't hide one in the closet and expect the cat to go seek it out when they want to exercise their claws. The action is about scent marking and pleasure just as much. I have a large home and have about 10 posts, a mixture of the vertical rope kind, the flat horizontal cardboard kind and a couple of climbing opportunities.

As you've already said, just keep up with the current food for a while until they settle in. With regard to weaning them off the wet food - its really up to you. I recommend taking a glance at their water intake in the next few weeks. Assess whether they are drinking regularly. I use a flowing water fountain to encourage my cats to drink because my girl cat hates wet food. I've had good success with the flowing water but that might be too fancy for you, its really your call. If your cats are drinking regularly, I would say a month or so after they come home you could reduce their wet food intake. Make sure they are having regular, non-runny stools first to ensure they are healthy.

Did you get any advice about when they could be fed a little less frequently from 3 times a day? By the time my cats were 6 months old they just got once-daily feedings.

I do still feed my boy cat wet food, because he loves it. He gets a can mixed in with his regular dry food every second day. Nutritionally its useless because he only likes complete crap, but because I mix with the dry food it's really no big deal, he is still getting a good diet and loves me more for indulging him!

onceling on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I found this stuff called Bitter Yuck to keep them from chewing on electrical cords. According to the label it's a mixture of water, sodium bicarbonate (which, according to wikipedia, can be used to remove semen from upholstry- learning is fun!), and .5% rosemary. I made the terrible, terrible mistake of tasting it. It is without a doubt the most awful thing I've ever put in my mouth, and I've tried haggis.

I have not heard of similar cases beside my own, but my experience with cats and bitter anti-chew sprays was horrifying. My 25lb Andre the Feline Giant destroys any phototrophs around my house. I applied it to a luckly 'bamboo' he has been picking shoots off of, then went about my own business. 30 minutes later I discovered him atop the fallen, shredded plant, gnawing away at its corpse like a fat man on a slab of ribs.

You may want to do a few tests before going to sleep with cats and wires unguarded together.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do you happen to remember the brand of anti-chew spray you used? I can't believe any form of life would willingly endure the taste sensations of Bitter Yuck. I got it partly because it has no alcohol and partly because it's not based on apples, which I've heard some cats like.

I think we'll be doing the wet food thing twice a day for awhile. Three times + dry food seems like a bit much. As for scratching stuff, we picked up this big cat jungle gym thing for $12, marked down to $22 from $100 w/ a $10 off coupon. It's got 2 big sisal scratching posts, one carpet scratching post, and a couple bed areas. We plan on throwing it down right next to the couch. We also grabbed a couple cardboard things and another sisal thing for strategic placement throughout the room. The plan is to have one scratching thing in every room with the biggest and most obvious one in the living room, where we spend most of our time.

Thanks for all the advice, all :)

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do you happen to remember the brand of anti-chew spray you used? I can't believe any form of life would willingly endure the taste sensations of Bitter Yuck. I got it partly because it has no alcohol and partly because it's not based on apples, which I've heard some cats like.

Denatonium Benzoate. Hmm...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Denatonium, usually available as denatonium benzoate (under trade names such as Bitrex or Aversion) and as denatonium saccharide, is the most bitter chemical compound known to date...

...Some cats have been known to be tempted by them — it may not be as effective a deterrent for cats as it is for humans, or perhaps some cats are not deterred due to a genetic factor similar to that affecting human perceptions of the taste of phenylthiocarbamide...

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thread contains a disturbing lack of kitty pictures.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I swear I will post the crap out of kitty pictures as soon as we bring them home. :)

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can remedy that!

Dinah
    l_45a3a84c2bee46248635c424ce9111e8.jpg

Simon
    l_533e86db621847f6a79e8ba76e7ca25e.jpg

New cat- Winni
    l_e9e2676453a6421e8688abc7242998ae.jpg
    l_fed5f59b8cc748cf8bd0bbc797816a2d.jpg

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3 months is probably fine to switch them to dry food. what we do with our fosters is just put a can of wet food out with their dry food until they start to eat either, then we pull out the wet so they have to eat the dry. wet food is a pain in the ass and its way more expensive.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    More kitty pictures!

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Go go crap camera-phone pics!

Cat has no "name". Cat is simply referred to as "Cat":
    DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg

Dryer picture is my favorite picture of Cat.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here are two from our cat, when she was about 4 months old:

catfootball2su5.jpg
    catfootballss7.jpg

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My cat Tiger when he was 3 months, meeting Precious, who was a year old.
    Tiger013.jpg
    TigervsPrecious.jpg

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kitty battle!!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FIGHT!

Also; awwwwwwww.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erandus wrote: »

DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg

You know you're just supposed to use a towel to dry a cat off, right?

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shazam! (and making sure this gets bumped because the OP does NOT get away until kitty pics are posted, even if that means keeping this thing on page 1 until friday)
    El Grande himself at age 6 months. He's a monster now. I've trained him to go out of his way to scratch thighs, and reward him appropriately when he maims strangers.

fatsonicid7.jpg

sonicqc5.jpg

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »

DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg

You know you're just supposed to use a towel to dry a cat off, right?

I know it, and you know it, but I don't think he knows it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My kid, Magellan the day when I brought him home:
    DSC00520.jpg

Some other early photos:
    MagellanSleepy.jpg
    DSC00621.jpg
    DSC00653.jpg

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    <3 kittens

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap you guys have some awesome-looking cats.

zilo on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, if I didn't hate cats so much, I'd love kittens.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kittens turn into proud handsome cats!

571276251_bd853ffa7e.jpg

Became this:

2964081391_11a535881e.jpg

onceling on