As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obama: Not just a pretty face?

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
theclam wrote:
werehippy wrote:
Thanatos wrote:
werehippy wrote:
mcc wrote:
werehippy wrote:
Obama has a lot of buzz, but do you really think he could stand up to the inevitable Kennedy comparisons? In other words, he talks a good game, but does he actually have enough gusto to run for President?
Absolutely. There is no doubt of that.

The question is, does he have any of the things besides gusto that you need to run for President?
Ok, this is definitely not relevant to this thread, but I think I need to do some background research on him and get a feel for exactly why Obama is loved so much. All I really know is that he's got a kind of wunderkin vibe going on.

Maybe in the next day or two I'll pop up a thread here or in H/A and try and find videos or text of his more important speeches and interviews.
If you listen to some of his speeches, you'll know why people like him so much.

This is what I'm hoping. I really, REALLY, want there to be some charismatic, intelligent dark horse that can come out of fucking nowhere and lead the Dems to glorious and nonretarded victory, I'm just worried that it's one of those "I want to believe" things, where the will to see something overpowers what's actually there.
I've glanced at a little of his proposed legislation and he's got some pretty damn good ideas. He's not just a charismatic speaker.

Ok, after the giddy talk of winning the House and the Senate started to wind down, the topic naturally shifted to how this is going to lead into the '08 election, and the one name that seems to come up over and over, in extremely hopeful tones is Barack Obama.

I've been somewhat out of touch with politics since the crushing clusterfuck that was Kerry '04, so all I really know about is that people who study up on him seem to love him.

So, I'm coming to the D&D political guru's with a humble request. Where exactly should I be looking if I too want to know the glory that is Obama? Basically, can anyone point me and everyone else in the direction of speeches (text or video) or proposed legislation that'll help give us a feel for who Obama is and why people seem to like him so much?

werehippy on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=barack+obama&hl=en

The Connecticut speech was the one I watched. It was nice.

ege02 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    moniker on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ahahahahahaa

I didn't realize you were going to use my phrase

Anyway, I think the main reason a lot of people on the left like Obama is that, well, he's pretty far to the left, and he actually seems to have some integrity.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Anyway, I think the main reason a lot of people on the left like Obama is that, well, he's pretty far to the left, and he actually seems to have some integrity.
    So you basically don't know anything about the man.

Hoz on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Okay. Look. The thing about Obama is this.

1. He gave this speech at the 2004 Democratic convention. Really, this one speech is it, though he gave some other speeches later which had the same effect. The reason these speeches are such a big deal is that he managed to convey a sense of vision, a sense of humanity, and a sense of actually having ideas and having a clear idea of how to implement them.

And this in an environment where these are exactly the things lacking from every other Democrat at that same convention.

2. He has the same "unscripted" quality as Dean, that when he opens his mouth to speak he's saying what he really thinks and feels and not just a prepackaged sound bite. Yet unlike Dean, when he opens his mouth to speak, interesting and witty things come out, not uncomfortable and embarrassing things.

3. He's not Hillary Clinton

People don't really care that much what Obama is. People just know Obama is everything that the Democrats of the last couple decades aren't

mcc on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    I have a feeling that most of the people who like him don't either. I certainly know nothing about him.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well everything he has been saying has been about bringing America together, left and right. He's aiming for the center.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mcc wrote:
    The reason these speeches are such a big deal is that he managed to convey a sense of vision, a sense of humanity, and a sense of actually having ideas and having a clear idea of how to implement them.

Sounds a lot like Kennedy.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    jothki wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    I have a feeling that most of the people who like him don't either. I certainly know nothing about him.

That's exactly why I thought we could use a thread like this. Starting tomorrow, both parties are going to be gearing up for 08, and I think Obama is going to be a name we hear a lot, and one that a lot of people don't really know much about beyond the fact people seem to like him.

werehippy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    im just waiting for him to go bbyyaaaahhhhhhh!!!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    jothki wrote:
    Hoz wrote:

Is for campaign reform and fiscally sound spending (google government act) even if he might be willing to spend more than libs and Jeffe's might like. Environmentally pro and somewhat inventive there. His idea for bailing out the big 3 in Detroit is pretty inventive considering the options available. Not too much else that he's actively done beyond that since he's a 2 year old freshman senator in an opposition party.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    Well everything he has been saying has been about bringing America together, left and right. He's aiming for the center.

And this is really the most interesting thing about Obama, if you think about it. He's figured out how to aim at the center without aiming right.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    His new faciness comes in handy with that. They can't call him a flip-flopper because he barely has a fucking voting record.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    His new faciness comes in handy with that. They can't call him a flip-flopper because he barely has a fucking voting record.
    There is a reason why every president in the last like fifty years or something is either an ex-governor or an ex-VP.

God, we're fucked.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hoz wrote:
    I never claimed to.

That said, he certainly seems to be a lot farther to the left than most Democrats.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    There is a reason why every president in the last like fifty years or something is either an ex-governor or an ex-VP.

God, we're fucked.
    Yeah, that's why I think he's better off going for President as soon as he can. The longer he waits the more he fucks himself. And it's not like he can learn more from staying in the Senate longer. It basically breaks down to:
    Yes
    or
    No
    his entire fucking future in the Senate.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mcc wrote:

1. He gave this speech at the 2004 Democratic convention. Really, this one speech is it, though he gave some other speeches later which had the same effect. The reason these speeches are such a big deal is that he managed to convey a sense of vision, a sense of humanity, and a sense of actually having ideas and having a clear idea of how to implement them.

And this in an environment where these are exactly the things lacking from every other Democrat at that same convention.

2. He has the same "unscripted" quality as Dean, that when he opens his mouth to speak he's saying what he really thinks and feels and not just a prepackaged sound bite. Yet unlike Dean, when he opens his mouth to speak, interesting and witty things come out, not uncomfortable and embarrassing things.

People don't really care that much what Obama is. People just know Obama is everything that the Democrats of the last couple decades aren't

4. He's not white. He won't win. The US won't vote in a non-white president at this point. Sad truth.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    mcc wrote:

4. He's not white. He won't win. The US won't vote in a non-white president at this point. Sad truth.
    I think we won't be ready until one of the major parties runs someone non-white as a presidential candidate.

If he managed to win without carrying a single southern state, all the better.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    mcc wrote:

I think we won't be ready until one of the major parties runs someone non-white as a presidential candidate.

If he managed to win without carrying a single southern state, all the better.

Seriously. It has to start somewhere. Nobody is gonna go ahead and say, "alright folks, we're ready for a black president now."

ege02 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    You know what, I'm just not ready for a black president yet. If you can come back in oh...say, 2012, that would be super.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Any guesses on what the ads in Tennessee against him will be like if he runs for President there?

Fucking Tennessee.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Any guesses on what the ads in Tennessee against him will be like if he runs for President there?

Fucking Tennessee.

It's a goddamn shame what they threw at Harold Ford Jr. I can't agree with all of the man's politics, but every interview i've seen from him was outstanding. He woulda done good man.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    You know what, I'm just not ready for a black president yet. If you can come back in oh...say, 2012, that would be super.

Why do you want the Republicans to win the next presidential election?

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Why do you want the Republicans to win the next presidential election?

Unless Hilary Clinton magicaly turned black

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I am trying and failing to find that "A Gay Republican President by 2084!" bumper sticker from the Simpsons

"We're realistic"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You people who think he's not going to win because he's black clearly haven't followed this guy much. The FIRST thing I heard about him was how he was almost miraculously able to gain support on southerners and country-folk, because he has a gift to sit down and relate to people on their level.

He's not African-American in the traditional sense. He isn't descended from American slaves, but from an African-born father and a White, country mother. If ANYONE can bust down the color barrier it'll be this guy. I don't think he's gotten enough experience yet, but in 2 years we'll see. I, much like a lot of people, just have an instinctual, almost intuitive good-feeling about Barrack. Something just seems right about him, his integrity and his relate-ability.

He is electable. I wish him the best.
    Just not Hillary Democrats, for the love of GOD.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I agree the "we're not ready for a black president" theory is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. I mean, people were willing to give Colin Powell the presidency if he had any interest in it over a decade ago.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think that at this point it would be a mistake to run Obama as the primary candidate. Of course, we won't be ready until someone tries, but people will choose a republican oil company shill over a black man in '08 and then we'd be fucked again with no hope to get out of Vietna... er... Iraq.

Being black myself, I long for the day that we see a afro-american president, but now is just not the time. Too much hangs on that delicate "Liberal/Conservative" balance to throw the election away on day 1 by nominating someone who won't win, just to make some kind of statement on the affairs of race relations in the US.

Seriously, come back in 2012, it's not a good time to be playing such political games.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    I think that at this point it would be a mistake to run Obama as the primary candidate. Of course, we won't be ready until someone tries, but people will choose a republican oil company shill over a black man in '08 and then we'd be fucked again with no hope to get out of Vietna... er... Iraq.

Being black myself, I long for the day that we see a afro-american president, but now is just not the time. Too much hangs on that delicate "Liberal/Conservative" balance to throw the election away on day 1 by nominating someone who won't win, just to make some kind of statement on the affairs of race relations in the US.

Seriously, come back in 2012, it's not a good time to be playing such political games.

I think he should absolutely run in the primary, just to see how he shakes out. If he gets walloped, it's not an especially huge issue, but he might well end up being a serious candidate, either as a candidate himself or on the bottom of a solid Dem ticket.

werehippy on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I agree the "we're not ready for a black president" theory is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. I mean, people were willing to give Colin Powell the presidency if he had any interest in it over a decade ago.

I think Powell would have made a far better president than Bush has.

As for Obama, electing him in '08 would result in the rest of the world issuing a collective "Huh? They did what?". A lot of anti-Americans would start to rethink their positions.

Gorak on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:

As for Obama, electing him in '08 would result in the rest of the world issuing a collective "Huh? They did what?". A lot of anti-Americans would start to rethink their positions.
    And nobody wants that. What would France do?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For those wanting to know more about him, read his 2 books. He wrote one a several years ago; it goes into his life story more than the new one. He has a conversational style that is relaxed without being jumbled and intelligent without being condescending. His new book is quite good as well. It is less about his personal life and more about his ideas. He establishes himself as a moderate with liberal leanings; his main strength is his ability to evaluate ideas objectively and find creative solutions to problems. He is the exact opposite of Bush; he is intellectually curious, cares about people from all walks of life, and tries to create consensus through understanding and discussion. Just read the books. They go quickly and are thoroughly enjoyable.

Him in person: He can be intense at times but it is always quiet intensity. There will be no Howard Dean moments (though that was blown massively out of proportion) in an Obama campaign, but I assure you that crowds will go INSANE for him. He can and will engage with people one on one. Listening is one of his strengths and his responses convey his understanding of your concerns and insights.

I know that I'm gushing a bit but the man is the real deal. He's definitely NOT just a pretty face and having met him in person a short time ago, I became convinced that he should be the next president. I think he can win. I think that in the past, he would not be a viable candidate, but things have come together in a way that SCREAMS about how important his election should be. An Obama campaign wouldn't be "I'm not Bush so vote for me!" like Kerry's campaign was. It will be about ideas, it will be about progress, and it will be about making America stronger, safer, and better.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:

And nobody wants that. What would France do?

What is french for KKK? Racist bastards!!!

Golem on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Your title is misspelled.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Golem wrote:
    What is french for KKK? Racist bastards!!!

FN (front national)

sanstodo on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How can he run when he hasn't really done anything? Outside of a nice little speech in 2004 and being on Oprah, showcasing him to all her brainwashed minions, what has he done that makes me go "Gee, I want to vote for him." His record so far in legislation is generic, something that could be seen for any young senator.

Obama, as he currently stands, is nothing but a poster child that the democrats want to showcase. He's young (in political terms), black, and a good speaker. I'm sorry, I want more in a candidate besides a nice photo face.

And what will be a real shame is that anyone who opposes him running on the grounds that he has relatively small experience will be labeled racist in an attempt to quiet those who don't support him.

Give him another twelve years and actually have merits to stand on, then we'll see.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    TexiKen wrote:
    How can he run when he hasn't really done anything? Outside of a nice little speech in 2004 and being on Oprah, showcasing him to all her brainwashed minions, what has he done that makes me go "Gee, I want to vote for him." His record so far in legislation is generic, something that could be seen for any young senator.

Obama, as he currently stands, is nothing but a poster child that the democrats want to showcase. He's young (in political terms), black, and a good speaker. I'm sorry, I want more in a candidate besides a nice photo face.

And what will be a real shame is that anyone who opposes him running on the grounds that he has relatively small experience will be labeled racist in an attempt to quiet those who don't support him.

Give him another twelve years and actually have merits to stand on, then we'll see.

For a bush supporter (from what I can tell) you blatantly ignore the fact that Bush had even LESS experience when he ran for president.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    TexiKen wrote:

You realize that his lack of experience is also an advantage, right? I mean, normally, it's nice for candidates to have experience so that you can look back and see if they are the real deal, i.e. to see if they actually hold the values they say they hold. With Obama that's not the case. I mean, the guy is the real deal.

Besides, Kennedy had 14 years of experience when he was elected. Barack will have 12 by 2008.

ege02 on