As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOL@Richy Memorial Election Fallout Thread

1181920212224»

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I for one would like to encourage more women to enter politics. Frankly, I'd rather see campaign ads from her (Gabreille Giffords, Arizona 8 ) than some chubby middle aged guy.

giffords.jpg

Shinto on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    I for one would like to encourage more women to enter politics. Frankly, I'd rather see campaign ads from her (Gabreille Giffords, Arizona 8 ) than some chubby middle aged guy.

giffords.jpg

Meh, doesn't matter what sex they are as long as they can get the job done. Voting for a pretty face is damn retarded. Didn't work for Edwards in '04.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

giffords.jpg
    I have to admit I'm perplexed as to how a Democratic woman got elected in a conservative district that's right on the Mexican border and doesn't include Tucson.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Meh, doesn't matter what sex they are as long as they can get the job done. Voting for a pretty face is damn retarded. Didn't work for Edwards in '04.

I'm just saying that all other things being equal I'd rather have her on my TV than a malevolent landwhale like Dennis Hastert.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

I would like to encourage more women to enter politics, because the male dominance of the field both buttresses and is indicative of systematically reinforced inequality.

MrMister on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

I would like to encourage more women to enter politics, because the male dominance of the field both buttresses and is indicative of systematically reinforced inequality.

But if that happens who will think fo the grouchy old men?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

But if that happens who will think fo the grouchy old men?

I will.

What's up with buttons these days? Why is my medicine so expensive? My stomach is cold. Someone make me some soup. Brittany Spears is a whore. My internet keeps getting lost in the tubes. Where am I? Why won't my grandchildren call?

Shinto on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:
    How I so want Alberto to stonewall. Then Leahy can give him the subpoena. I want the subpoena.

The follow up: Gonzales defines freedom as whatever the administration says isn't a grave threat to safety

Even when I know he's just doing exactly what the Administration wants him to, I'm honestly confused how the Attorney General of the US can say things like that and actually mean them.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

giffords.jpg
    I have to admit I'm perplexed as to how a Democratic woman got elected in a conservative district that's right on the Mexican border and doesn't include Tucson.
    Just look at that belt buckle, man. Just look at it. Right size and everything.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Charles Rangel is saying he wants to bring back the draft.

I swear, that guy doesn't care what anyone else thinks. He's like a friggin wrecking ball.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:
    How I so want Alberto to stonewall. Then Leahy can give him the subpoena. I want the subpoena.

The follow up: Gonzales defines freedom as whatever the administration says isn't a grave threat to safety

Even when I know he's just doing exactly what the Administration wants him to, I'm honestly confused how the Attorney General of the US can say things like that and actually mean them.

Mentioning and supporting Gitmo at the same time as trying to say that ANYTHING isn't an affront to liberty is really politically stupid. I mean just peel the paint off the walls stupid.

People don't forget the outrage from pictures and the legal indoctrination of torture that fast Gonzales.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

I swear, that guy doesn't care what anyone else thinks. He's like a friggin wrecking ball.

Yeah for sticking to your point and doing what you think is right, but I think we're past the point where we need publicity stunts to point out how bad the war in Iraq is, and things like this just end up eating up debate time and political capital.

werehippy on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:

Wait... what? That's freaking ridiculous. With that kind of logic, freedom of the press and co. could be ruled a grave threat, and taken away "for our safety."

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

Yeah for sticking to your point and doing what you think is right, but I think we're past the point where we need publicity stunts to point out how bad the war in Iraq is, and things like this just end up eating up debate time and political capital.

I don't think he sees it as a publicity stunt. I think he seriously thinks it is a good idea.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:

Wait... what? That's freaking ridiculous. With that kind of logic, freedom of the press and co. could be ruled a grave threat, and taken away "for our safety."
    According to Justice Scalia, during times of war, freedoms can be kept to a "Constitutional minimum," and the War on Terror counts as a war.

It's also worth noting that we never have gotten an explanation as to why they can't just get the warrant, since they've got 72 hours after they start the tap to file the paperwork.

Because then they can't monitor all communications leaving and entering the country and use computer programs to sift the data.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

I don't think he sees it as a publicity stunt. I think he seriously thinks it is a good idea.

Really?

I mean, I can see the practical appeal and the reasoning behind it, but I thought it was one of those publicity stunts that support a good but untenable idea, like barring the government from regulating marriages and make them deal exclusively in civil unions for everyone. It's the practical solution and would do a world of good, but it'll never happen because people would freak out.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

I think its ironic how all the anti-war voters may get drafted by the same folk who voted them into power. I remember in 2004 the big scare was vote Bush and we'll see a draft, never happened. In fact, it took Nixon and his Republican party to end the draft back in the early 70s.

From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_draft#Vietnam_War
    In 2003, several congressmen (Charles Rangel D-NY, James McDermott D-WA, John Conyers D-MI, John Lewis D-GA, Pete Stark D-CA, Neil Abercrombie D-HI) introduced legislation that would draft both men and women into either military or civilian government service, should there be a draft in the future. The Republican majority brought the bill up for a vote in the House of Representatives. It was defeated by a vote of 402-2.

Amazing how the MSM avoided that the Dems are out to draft folk 2004 election news... :|

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

I think its ironic how all the anti-war voters may get drafted by the same folk who voted them into power. I remember in 2004 the big scare was vote Bush and we'll see a draft, never happened. In fact, it took Nixon and his Republican party to end the draft back in the early 70s.
    Seriously. The Bush administration has turned out so much better than anyone imagined, hasn't it? And the Democrats are really taking Rangel seriously, aren't they? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

giffords.jpg

http://www.votelinnea.com/

Doc on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

Please try not to act like such a goddamned idiot all the time.

Both the Democrats and Republicans were for the Vietnam War for the vast majority of its duration. Both the Democrats and Republicans fully supported NSC-68 and all of its implications during the long years of the cold war. The relevance that has to this issue is slim at best.

In the modern political climate, the Republicans and Democrats' ideologies have shifted significantly.

So read up on some history before linking to something that happened decades ago and saying "olol looksee!"

I'll remind you that Strom Thurmond was a Democrat until 1964. But no one in their right might would point that out as an example of the Democratic party's present ideologies, because the parties have come to stand for different things.

So no. Not at all.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

Please try not to act like such a goddamned idiot all the time.

Both the Democrats and Republicans were for the Vietnam War for the vast majority of its duration. Both the Democrats and Republicans fully supported NSC-68 and all of its implications during the long years of the cold war. The relevance that has to this issue is slim at best.

In the modern political climate, the Republicans and Democrats' ideologies have shifted significantly.

So read up on some history before linking to something that happened decades ago and saying "olol looksee!"

I'll remind you that Strom Thurmond was a Democrat until 1964. But no one in their right might would point that out as an example of the Democratic party's present ideologies, because the parties have come to stand for different things.

So no. Not at all.

Reading your posts kills brain cells. Please place a disclaimer next time, thanks. Oh, and my main point it about current events which you failed to understand and the Dems & Pubs ideologies have barely changed since the 70s too. And why are you bringing up NSC-68 anyways? Moronic.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_draft#Vietnam_War
    In 2003, several congressmen (Charles Rangel D-NY, James McDermott D-WA, John Conyers D-MI, John Lewis D-GA, Pete Stark D-CA, Neil Abercrombie D-HI) introduced legislation that would draft both men and women into either military or civilian government service, should there be a draft in the future. The Republican majority brought the bill up for a vote in the House of Representatives. It was defeated by a vote of 402-2.

Amazing how the MSM avoided that the Dems are out to draft folk 2004 election news... :|
    Except that the bill in question wasn't supporting a draft, it was saying that should we actually need a draft in the future we think women should have to fight too. You know, equal rights and responsibilities and all that.

Did you even read what you quoted?

They weren't "out to draft folk", they were trying to make the draft a bit more fair. Unfortunately a combination of "my son can die in a pointless war, but keep your damn hands off'n mah daughter" and "lolz they'd fight like girls anyway" kept it from being even a possibility.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:

Also, in their defense, we were way more likely to see a draft post-2004 than we are to see a surrender in the War on Terror post-2006, so as far as "big, toothless scares" go, I think the Republicans win.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Reading your posts kills brain cells.

Wow, wrong AND grammatically incorrect.

Rust on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Rust wrote:
    Reading your posts kills brain cells.

Wow, wrong AND grammatically incorrect.

I don't think it's wrong. I have no doubt that reading posts containing facts and based in reality has a negative impact on LondonBridge's brain.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

Really?

I mean, I can see the practical appeal and the reasoning behind it, but I thought it was one of those publicity stunts that support a good but untenable idea, like barring the government from regulating marriages and make them deal exclusively in civil unions for everyone. It's the practical solution and would do a world of good, but it'll never happen because people would freak out.

A draft is not nescessarily a practical solution to anything. Conscript armies, even American ones, are not very useful anymore. They are at best cannon fodder to be hurled against another uniformed regular army. EG: Pretty much exactly what America doesn't need right now.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

Also, in their defense, we were way more likely to see a draft post-2004 than we are to see a surrender in the War on Terror post-2006, so as far as "big, toothless scares" go, I think the Republicans win.

Never too late to join the Air National Guard there, Thanatos.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

It's not weird that this popped into why head when I read that, right?

avp8.jpg

werehippy on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

It's not weird that this popped into why head when I read that, right?

avp8.jpg

There was a lot of that in the 2004 election, so it doesn't surprise me.

Smasher on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Constitutional discussion split out here.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Some interesting news on the 2008 campaign starting to shape up.

First up, an analysis of the strength of the likely Democratic candidates, vs their current name recognition.

The short version is Hillary is the current leader in terms of absolute votes, but if you factor in name recognition, Obama moves into an extremely strong lead. If you factor in earlier polls showing an extremely strong negative reaction to Hillary, almost as strong as her positive, then Obama seems even more appealing.

Second is a great and bizarre quote form Gingrich:

"I'm going to tell you something, and whether or not it's plausible given the world you come out of is your problem. I am not 'running' for president. I am seeking to create a movement to win the future by offering a series of solutions so compelling that if the American people say I have to be president, it will happen." from Fortune

werehippy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    The short version is Hillary is the current leader in terms of absolute votes, but if you factor in name recognition, Obama moves into an extremely strong lead.

Senate first-timer Obama has greater name recognition than Senate veteran and former first-lady Hillary Clinton? What am I missing here?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Richy wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    The short version is Hillary is the current leader in terms of absolute votes, but if you factor in name recognition, Obama moves into an extremely strong lead.

Senate first-timer Obama has greater name recognition than Senate veteran and former first-lady Hillary Clinton? What am I missing here?

The general rule of thumb when polling people with different amounts of name recognition is you divide the percentage they get by the percent of people that know them, to get percent of people that know them that would vote for them. So the summary is Obama did pretty well with little name recognition, while Hillary did better with much more name recognition. If you factor out the name recognition aspect, it seems Obama does better, on an even playing field. I'm no expert, so check the link for details, but from a pure math perspective it seems to make sense.

It's tentative (since there's no guarantee the trends will hold as name recognition increases) but it's apparently the accepted way of looking at standings at this point.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:

"I'm going to tell you something, and whether or not it's plausible given the world you come out of is your problem. I am not 'running' for president. I am seeking to create a movement to win the future by offering a series of solutions so compelling that if the American people say I have to be president, it will happen." from Fortune
    Let me translate:

"I am selling you the biggest line of bullshit the world has ever seen."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Let me translate:

Might have gained some traction in, say 2000, but the overwhelming message I'm getting from the American public is that they just want shit to work again. Gingrich isn't all that concerned with making shit work; he wants to remake the world.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Let me translate:

You have to give him credit for delivering it in epic fashion. There are so many clauses in that last sentence that I'm getting tired just reading it, let alone thinking about trying to say it with a straight face.

Tangential, but I think this is the first time I've heard the phrase "win the future" used in a serious context, which is fantastic. I need to win the future more often.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Let me translate:

You have to give him credit for delivering it in epic fashion. There are so many clauses in that last sentence that I'm getting tired just reading it, let alone thinking about trying to say it with a straight face.

Tangential, but I think this is the first time I've heard the phrase "win the future" used in a serious context, which is fantastic. I need to win the future more often.

You need to make it the promo tagline for your upcoming time-travel sci-fi blockbuster.

Win The Future, July 19

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Might have gained some traction in, say 2000, but the overwhelming message I'm getting from the American public is that they just want shit to work again. Gingrich isn't all that concerned with making shit work; he wants to remake the world.

Agreed. The current population doesn't want to move forward. They just want to go back to how things were in the late 90's.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

Agreed. The current population doesn't want to move forward. They just want to go back to how things were in the late 90's.

I think that the correct analogy is that we've fucked up our game and we're wanting to go back to our most recent "save".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It occurs to me that Mark Warner could run for senate in Virginia in 2008. John Warner, the incumbent would be 81 years old.

Shinto on