As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lone Idiots That Make The Rest Of Us Look Bad

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd prefer a giant mech

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    I'd prefer a giant mech

are you a 12 year old emo teenager?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Rapier sword combat, while awesome, always seemed wasteful to me, mainly because a rapier could only be used as a thrust weapon

I much western weapons that can slash, like Sabers or Basket-Hilt swords.

you can cut stuff up decently with a rapier, it's not just a thrusting weapon

but in a fight i would definitely prefer either a short sword or a broadsword

or daggers

or, you know, a gun

oh I'm not saying a Rapier can't cut at all

but cuts with a Rapier were usually used to annoy or distract an opponent, or to use the blood from the cut to loosen an opponent's hold on his weapon

actual lasting damage was rare

I'm not saying a Rapier is a bad weapon, not at all

but there's just something very compelling for me in cut-and-thrust swords

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    I'd prefer a giant mech

no, so sadly I would be in the cannon fodder category.

or maybe the wise mentor that gets betrayed by his government later on and the emo teenager needs to avenge me

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd prefer a giant mech

licensure for this demographic was revoked a few years ago.

only men like Master Asia can pilot mechs now. so like, I have half a dozen.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd prefer a giant mech

I bet he has spiky hair, a shadowy past, and yells at the camera right before a bunch of lotus petals fall around him and doves fly out of nowhere which signifies his super special attack.

Hunter on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NotASenator on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rapier sword combat, while awesome, always seemed wasteful to me, mainly because a rapier could only be used as a thrust weapon

I much prefer western weapons that can slash, like Sabers or Basket-Hilt swords.

Well, it's definitely a kind of niche weapon. Rapiers are less dangerous for overall combat than most swords, but they're very light and the narrow blade has less wind resistance than wider and larger blades, which makes it easier to make consecutive attacks.

Overall you get much better speed at the cost of the more severe damage a larger blade can inflict.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2008
    nas if I had a artillery piece would you man it?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my husband has a usable replica of Leonidas' sword from 300

it is probably what i would use if i had to use something for stabby fights

my husband cut himself just by looking at it, the thing is so damn sharp

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

I much prefer western weapons that can slash, like Sabers or Basket-Hilt swords.

Well, it's definitely a kind of niche weapon. Rapiers are less dangerous for overall combat than most swords, but they're very light and the narrow blade has less wind resistance than wider and larger blades, which makes it easier to make consecutive attacks.

Overall you get much better speed at the cost of the more severe damage a larger blade can inflict.

Someone light the Defender signal.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hunter wrote: »

Someone light the Defender signal.

WOOP WOOP

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    really, I show you actual Marines firing 150lb pound shells at real people out of a gun with recoil that is measured in FEET and you show me that makeup wearing tv presenter playing with a bullpup small caliber rifle?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    if I were to have any replica sword, it would the Green Destiny. It has a very nice look.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

i have a replica set of leonidas' pecs

doll-face

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i have a pretty big kitchen knife

:(

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    nas if I had a artillery piece would you man it?

I'm sorry, I only work with large bore guns.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    really, I show you actual Marines firing 150lb pound shells at real people out of a gun with recoil that is measured in FEET and you show me that makeup wearing tv presenter playing with a bullpup small caliber rifle?

you'd be surprised how ineffectual shelling can be

however, giving every fucking soldier on the battlefield a weapon befitting a Space Marine can make all the motherfucking difference in the world

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    if I were to have any replica sword, it would the Green Destiny. It has a very nice look.

i would have the sword form berserk, just because

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Spoiler due to size. Now that's a shockwave
    US-Navy-Battleship-2.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Spoiler due to size. Now that's a shockwave
    US-Navy-Battleship-2.jpg

and that gunship is no longer active, the US navy having redirected it's funding and repair-and-construction capabilities to aircraft carries in the late 90s.

still a great pic though.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008

From the Spartans to the Britons to the Roman legions, shortswords were preferred because of the close quarters shield wall fighting. You were stabbing over or under a rugby match of shields and getting really close and personal with your enemy.

Calvary, of course, and heavier armor lead to changes in the weapons used.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

however, giving every fucking soldier on the battlefield a weapon befitting a Space Marine can make all the motherfucking difference in the world

's not a space marine weapon

'this is a space marine weapon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZSYL2Q4sI

(it actually fires small fucking rockets later on in the video)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

From the Spartans to the Britons to the Roman legions, shortswords were preferred because of the close quarters shield wall fighting. You were stabbing over or under a rugby match of shields and getting really close and personal with your enemy.

and now I want to play Medieval: Total War

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Power of an M16, accuracy of a sniper rifle.

One hit from this and it's all over.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

:|

what.

I'm sorry, the last century of warfare, not to mention Pickett's Charge suggests that you are incorrect.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    sapping > shelling

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh really.

YOu got any pictures of it?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Replica weapons are the silliest thing.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

yeah, i trained briefly on a flammenschwert

pike squares FTW

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I would say laser guided bombs which allow 1 weapon to do what 1000's used to do basically pwn the battlefield right now.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

what.

I'm sorry, the last century of warfare, not to mention Pickett's Charge suggests that you are incorrect.

hmmm

I'm guessing I was talking about one thing and you about another

when two armies face one another, or when trying to take over a city, artillery has many uses

but with the situation in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Palestinian Territories being what it is, most artillery units basically sit on their asses while squads of infantry must exert control over a city or go into terrorist strongholds.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    When is the military going to start making Iron Man-style suits? I'll volunteer for the testing

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh really.

YOu got any pictures of it?

i'll take one when i get home but really, it looks like the one from the movie but without battle damage or whatever

fresh and clean and sharp

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I mean they sapped these hills so hard in WW1 that trenches around them got pushed in, crushing all the germans in them. also all the nearby machine gun bunkers were untouched, but the shockwave killed everyone inside them. the explosion was that powerful. and awesome.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    When is the military going to start making Iron Man-style suits? I'll volunteer for the testing

That's what I'm talking about. Fuck giant mecha, they're to impractical. But an armored exo-skeleton like Iron Man or Exo-Squad is where it's at.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

That's what I'm talking about. Fuck giant mecha, they're to impractical. But an armored exo-skeleton like Iron Man or Exo-Squad is where it's at.

All like FREEEOOOOWWW LASER DEATH PEW PEW

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

what.

hmmm

I'm guessing I was talking about one thing and you about another

when two armies face one another, or when trying to take over a city, artillery has many uses

but with the situation in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Palestinian Territories being what it is, most artillery units basically sit on their asses while squads of infantry must exert control over a city or go into terrorist strongholds.

Oh, there is no question that urban operations and counter-insurgency campaigns have shown weaknesses in the effectiveness of field artillery.

However, that's not the same in Afghanistan, to which I think Weaver can attest.

In a place like Afghanistan, sustained shelling can have a noticeable effect on morale (see Bastogne, Iwo Jima, etc)

While we always saw the precision bomb strikes on lased targets from Desert Storm on CNN, the artillery played a massive role in clearing the path for the incoming armored troops.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I want to pilot a TIE fighter already.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg