Options

Yes-Man

2»

Posts

  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm a big Jim Carrey fan, but he really has been stuck with shitty role upon shitty role. It's a shame, because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    I don't think I've watched a Carrey movie since The Truman Show.

    I like to think of this as a good thing.

    Jragghen on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    yeah my point is, for the viewer, no matter how much he wants to say no he's going to say yes just like in liar liar no matter how much he wants to lie he will tell the truth.

    you know, hilarious comedy

    I mean... societal convention forces him to wear pants in both movies, so I guess that's the same.

    The fact is, he can say no at any time... he;s not bound by a spell or genie.

    He sure thinks he is, though. I mean, that's the point of the second half of the climax.

    artifexite on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    yeah my point is, for the viewer, no matter how much he wants to say no he's going to say yes just like in liar liar no matter how much he wants to lie he will tell the truth.

    you know, hilarious comedy

    I mean... societal convention forces him to wear pants in both movies, so I guess that's the same.

    The fact is, he can say no at any time... he;s not bound by a spell or genie.

    so you're going to say these two movies are not loosely similar at all and a bunch of people were reminded of liar, liar by... pants?

    it's fucking called YES MAN. and it's a movie, not real life. as a viewer I expect the word yes as much as I expect the truth in liar liar.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm a big Jim Carrey fan, but he really has been stuck with shitty role upon shitty role. It's a shame, because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    I don't think I've watched a Carrey movie since The Truman Show.

    I like to think of this as a good thing.

    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Truman Show are the only Jim Carrey films I've ever felt compelled to rewatch.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ace ventura is a great movie.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    Pineapple Express
    Knocked Up
    Superbad
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    Hamlet 2
    Tropic Thunder
    Zack and Miri Make a Porno
    Role Models
    Brothers Solomon
    Hot Fuzz

    All within...like the past 2 years.

    Crayon on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Why can't Zooey Deschanel ever land a decent role?

    Umm... she played Andy's psycho girlfriend on Weeds. And she was awesome, as she always is.

    Normally, I would agree... but... The Happening. Come on. She really was the worst thing in that movie, and that's saying a lot.

    ... don't you blame that atrocity on her. How dare you sir. How dare you!

    I think of it like this...

    If a private is ordered by his superior to mutilate a small child and he does it, he's just following orders. Maybe he didn't sign up to mutilate children but the fact remains that a child was mutilated and it was done by his hands.

    Maybe Zooey can be forgiven, but that she was hammier and cheesier than anything in that awful movie. And even in something like Hamlet 2 her performance would be considered sub-par. I dunno man, I loves me some Deschanel but I know what I saw. :x

    That Hamlet 2 comment was weird. I guess you were making some kind of comparison, but it was lost on me.

    Regardless, good acting talent (and Zooey is simply good, she's not exceptional (but I still love her... and double parenthasis!)) cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing. See: Everyone in Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (and that's even more damning, because I consider Ewan McGregor to be very good, and Liam Neeson to be exceptional. And Natalie Portman, whom I also love.)

    The Hamlet 2 comment implies that even in something that would warrant such an over the top performance Zooey would stand out as terrible. And yes, good acting talent cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing, but if your reference is to be compared to The Happening, Zooey was its Anakin Skywalker.

    Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes but she is unbelievably gorgeous

    His Corkiness on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    yeah my point is, for the viewer, no matter how much he wants to say no he's going to say yes just like in liar liar no matter how much he wants to lie he will tell the truth.

    you know, hilarious comedy

    I mean... societal convention forces him to wear pants in both movies, so I guess that's the same.

    The fact is, he can say no at any time... he;s not bound by a spell or genie.

    so you're going to say these two movies are not loosely similar at all and a bunch of people were reminded of liar, liar by... pants?

    it's fucking called YES MAN. and it's a movie, not real life. as a viewer I expect the word yes as much as I expect the truth in liar liar.

    no. I'm saying that, while I could see the comparison initially, the two have absolutely nothing in common. I mean, besides the fact that they were both predictable and only moderately funny.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    but to someone who only saw liar liar when it came out and saw the previews for this, the comparison makes sense. that's all I was trying to say.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Why can't Zooey Deschanel ever land a decent role?

    Umm... she played Andy's psycho girlfriend on Weeds. And she was awesome, as she always is.

    Normally, I would agree... but... The Happening. Come on. She really was the worst thing in that movie, and that's saying a lot.

    ... don't you blame that atrocity on her. How dare you sir. How dare you!

    I think of it like this...

    If a private is ordered by his superior to mutilate a small child and he does it, he's just following orders. Maybe he didn't sign up to mutilate children but the fact remains that a child was mutilated and it was done by his hands.

    Maybe Zooey can be forgiven, but that she was hammier and cheesier than anything in that awful movie. And even in something like Hamlet 2 her performance would be considered sub-par. I dunno man, I loves me some Deschanel but I know what I saw. :x

    That Hamlet 2 comment was weird. I guess you were making some kind of comparison, but it was lost on me.

    Regardless, good acting talent (and Zooey is simply good, she's not exceptional (but I still love her... and double parenthasis!)) cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing. See: Everyone in Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (and that's even more damning, because I consider Ewan McGregor to be very good, and Liam Neeson to be exceptional. And Natalie Portman, whom I also love.)

    The Hamlet 2 comment implies that even in something that would warrant such an over the top performance Zooey would stand out as terrible. And yes, good acting talent cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing, but if your reference is to be compared to The Happening, Zooey was its Anakin Skywalker.

    So, you're saying that, even though she's been good in other things, she would automatically be terrible in Hamlet 2? A movie who's best performance came from Elizabeth Shue? Despite the fact that it is a completely different movie and has nothing to do with the Happening?

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    but to someone who only saw liar liar when it came out and saw the previews for this, the comparison makes sense. that's all I was trying to say.

    Ah... yeah, that's correct. I thought you were comparing the two movies having seen both. No, I agree with that assessment.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm a big Jim Carrey fan, but he really has been stuck with shitty role upon shitty role. It's a shame, because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    I don't think I've watched a Carrey movie since The Truman Show.

    I like to think of this as a good thing.

    Great movie. Cable guy is worth it to, but mostly for what happens at the end of the movie.

    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was an amazing movie too. In fact, it is his best movie. It should have won every award there is.

    Come to think of it, Bruce Almighty was pretty alright. I'd see it again.

    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While I think Eternal Sunshine was the best movie he was in for me his performance in The Truman Show is better, and Man On The Moon may be his best.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crayon wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    Pineapple Express
    Knocked Up
    Superbad
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    Hamlet 2
    Tropic Thunder
    Zack and Miri Make a Porno
    Role Models
    Brothers Solomon
    Hot Fuzz

    All within...like the past 2 years.

    I think half of those are terrible, so I guess I should say that *I* don't see that many great comedies anymore. I realize I'm probably in the minority, though.

    Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm a big Jim Carrey fan, but he really has been stuck with shitty role upon shitty role. It's a shame, because you don't see that many great comedies anymore.

    I don't think I've watched a Carrey movie since The Truman Show.

    I like to think of this as a good thing.

    Great movie. Cable guy is worth it to, but mostly for what happens at the end of the movie.

    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was an amazing movie too. In fact, it is his best movie. It should have won every award there is.

    Come to think of it, Bruce Almighty was pretty alright. I'd see it again.
    I quite enjoyed The Majestic.

    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Why can't Zooey Deschanel ever land a decent role?

    Umm... she played Andy's psycho girlfriend on Weeds. And she was awesome, as she always is.

    Normally, I would agree... but... The Happening. Come on. She really was the worst thing in that movie, and that's saying a lot.

    ... don't you blame that atrocity on her. How dare you sir. How dare you!

    I think of it like this...

    If a private is ordered by his superior to mutilate a small child and he does it, he's just following orders. Maybe he didn't sign up to mutilate children but the fact remains that a child was mutilated and it was done by his hands.

    Maybe Zooey can be forgiven, but that she was hammier and cheesier than anything in that awful movie. And even in something like Hamlet 2 her performance would be considered sub-par. I dunno man, I loves me some Deschanel but I know what I saw. :x

    That Hamlet 2 comment was weird. I guess you were making some kind of comparison, but it was lost on me.

    Regardless, good acting talent (and Zooey is simply good, she's not exceptional (but I still love her... and double parenthasis!)) cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing. See: Everyone in Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (and that's even more damning, because I consider Ewan McGregor to be very good, and Liam Neeson to be exceptional. And Natalie Portman, whom I also love.)

    The Hamlet 2 comment implies that even in something that would warrant such an over the top performance Zooey would stand out as terrible. And yes, good acting talent cannot overcome a horrible script and poor directing, but if your reference is to be compared to The Happening, Zooey was its Anakin Skywalker.

    So, you're saying that, even though she's been good in other things, she would automatically be terrible in Hamlet 2? A movie who's best performance came from Elizabeth Shue? Despite the fact that it is a completely different movie and has nothing to do with the Happening?

    Not at all. You seem to be implying I think her acting is horrible. I'm talking about her performance. Meaning: her acting in a certain film. That film being The Happening. I'm very implicitly discussing her contribution as an actor to /that/ film. Re-read the part where I say even in something like Hamlet 2 her performance (not acting, or performing abilities) would be terrible. Or don't because I just restated it. It's like the difference between 'she did a good job in that' and 'she has a good job.' Both use the word job, I guess it's the context that can be confusing.

    Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ah... I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the analogy, but I think I've got it now.

    I mean though, didn't they hire Zooey to play like a goth emo teacher in the Happening? I never saw it, so I'm just going by what I heard. I mean, Zooey comes off as kinda alternative, but the last part I'd consider her for would be emo.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really would love to know what M. Night told her in order to get that performance out of her. She seemed like a novice actor in a 1950s musical that never had any singing. Or something.

    It's really not a performance worthy of so much discussion but if you ever see it, please try to explain to me what the hell she is doing.

    Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe she read the script, and her brain tried to kill itself.
    Like plants.

    artifexite on
Sign In or Register to comment.