OP shamelessly stolen from Bitstream, who shamelessly stole it from Hylian Bunny, who shamelessly stole it(but tweaked slightly!) from Gear Girl, who shamelessly stole it from Bucketman, who shamelessly stole it from Accualt. Pretty much all of the credit goes to them.
Architect on Test now! Detailed Notes in quote below, spoil'd for largeness.
REAL INFO ABOUT ISSUE 13 - Power & Responsibility!Day Jobs (Offline Character Progression)
Patch notes for anyone too lazy to go to the CoH forums.
OPEN BETA RELEASE NOTES:March 17, 2009
Issue 14 takes City of Heroes® another giant step, allowing players to design their own missions and story arcs to share with the entire City of Heroes community across all of our live servers.
Using an intuitive interface, players can browse through other player created missions and create their own missions from the ground up. Players will determine details ranging from environments, mission objectives, and enemies, to written fiction and character dialogue; giving their stories nearly infinite depth and personalization.
Creators can pick from hundreds of maps and thousands of characters. They can use existing characters or create their own custom enemies. They can get even more detailed and create full enemy groups, giving each enemy unique costumes and powers.
Players can write all of the dialog for their story as well as decide on level of difficulty and enemy placement. Players have the ability to trigger one mission goal off of another, creating a chain of events within a single mission. Each story can have up to five chapters or missions and each mission can hold up to a maximum of 25 achievable goals. As people play content, they’ll be able to rate that content from one to five stars. Creators will actually get in game benefits for making content that gets highly rated. We even offer a Dev Choice and Hall of Fame standing for the best of the best.
- Present your story to other players in the game through the story title, description, and character dialogue. Stories can be as short as a single mission and as long as five.Create Characters
- Use existing characters from City of Heroes lore or create your own characters from scratch using the costume creator and a robust powers selection interface. Create individual characters which can be used as enemies, allies and contacts or create whole enemy groups to fill your missions.Write Dialogue
- Every character that you place into a story or mission has its own dialogue. Whether it's the contact that directs characters to their mission, the hostages that you rescue, or the enemies that you must defeat, they all speak through text bubbles at various points during your encounters.Define Objectives
- Defend, collect, defeat, destroy, rescue, and more. Mission architects can string objectives together making missions as simple or complex as desired, using up to a current maximum of 25 objectives per mission.Use Advanced Options
- For characters and missions select alignment, placement, difficulty, animations, behavior and more. Every mission objective has multiple advanced options, allowing you to truly customize how you want your story to play out.Test and Iterate Before Publishing
- Take as much time as you want to create your content and test it by yourself or with others. Once your masterpiece is complete, you can Publish it for other players to enjoy and rate.Find / Browse Other Stories
For people who just want to play the user created content, players have access to the mission browser that shows all the generated content. Players can sort these stories by name, highest rated, lengthy and recently added. Players can also filter content to show only those with specific ratings, arcs they have or haven’t played as well as the alignment of the story.
Sort Stories and Search for Key Criteria
- Players can use the Mission Browser to sort published stories by rating, date, length, and title, or search for content using key words like the character who created them or the subject matter within the stories.Hall of Fame
- Stories that have achieved a critical combination of high player ratings and number of views will be elevated into Hall of Fame status and will be listed under the Hall of Fame section.Developer's Choice
- Stories that are hand-picked by the developer will be deemed Developer's Choice and listed within the Developer's Choice section.
Players create content in-game through a computer terminal within one of the Architect Entertainment buildings. Architect Entertainment is the name of an in-game company that’s developed this type of ‘simulated experience’ for heroes and villains of Paragon City and the Rogue Isles.
- Architect Entertainment Buildings are located at Atlas Park, Galaxy City, King Row, Steel Canyon, Skyway City, Faultline, Talos Island, Independence Port, Croatoa, Founder Falls, Brickstown, Peregrine Island, Rikti War Zone, Mercy Island, Port Oakes, Cap Au Diable, Sharkhead Isle, Nerva Archipelago, and St. Martial. All Architect Entertainment buildings have map icons.
- The Ticket award system: Each type of enemy has a chance to drop a small, medium and large value of tickets. Harder enemies will grant more tickets than weaker enemies. Also, enemies that you defeat that are higher level than you will drop more tickets than enemies that are lower level than you. (Example: Bosses drop more tickets than minions).
- **Keep in mind that items in the store may have their prices fluctuate throughout the beta to adjust to this new reward system.
Architect Reward System
- Characters with pets will get credit for their pets’ kills in architect missions.
- Profanity filter works on all aspects of the Mission Architect but do make use of the report function if you spot anything reprehensible.
Among other rewards, architects who create extraordinary content will garner acclaim and reputation. Community feedback will be paramount and some missions will elevate in status, unlocking new rewards and benefits for their creators.
- Account wide architect rewards have been implemented. You can buy tokens in the store which will unlock architect options for every character on your account.
- If the mission server is not running, you will not be able to access this content (you can tell the mission server is down if you cannot search for published missions or publish new missions).
- Random recipe drop rewards have been implemented and can be purchased from the Architect Ticket Vendors with Architect Tickets. These random rolls come in 3 categories:
- Bronze Reward Roll: This random reward will award both uncommon and rare recipes that are normally dropped from defeating enemies. The likelihood of receiving an uncommon recipe is 8 times greater than that of a rare recipe. This is consistent with rewards granted from defeating enemies. This reward table does not include purple reward drops, nor does it include temporary powers or respec recipes. The Bronze Reward Roll is the least expensive of the three random reward categories.
- Silver Reward Roll: This random reward will award both rare recipes that are normally dropped from defeating enemies and recipes earned upon completing missions. The likelihood of receiving a rare recipe is 50% greater than that of a mission complete recipe. This reward table does not include temporary powers or respec recipes. The Silver Reward Roll is the second most expensive of the three random reward categories.
- Gold Reward Roll: This random reward will award recipes that were previously dropped upon completing taskforces and trials and now very rare drops off bosses and purchasable with merits. The Gold Reward Roll is the most expensive of the random reward categories as the rewards granted are very powerful.
Architect Custom Critter Creation
- Note that ticket prices for awards the ticket vendor are subject to change during beta. These random reward tables are “weighted” differently than tables from defeating enemies and completing missions. Recipes that are can be slotted into more powers and/or are slotted more often by players will have a greater chance of dropping. (Example: the Devastation ranged damage IO recipe set would be more likely to drop than the Trap of the Hunter immobilize IO recipe set. This is because Devastation can be slotted into a greater percentage of existing powers and is more often slotted by players than Trap of the Hunter.)
- Unlockable costume pieces are now available.
- Unlockable items should have icons associated with them.
- A pop up window should appear upon earning your first ticket. This window will explain what tickets are for.
- Custom Critters’ Toggle powers should suppress when Held, Stunned, or slept, exactly the same as player powers. Defense/Resist and other aspects of powers suppress. Status protection aspects of powers do not.
- Mastermind pets to mastermind sets: they are summoned when the NPC is attacked.
- Minion Masterminds Summon 1 minion at -1 level, LT masterminds summon 2 minions at -1, and a LT at -1. Boss Masterminds and above summon all henchmen as normal.
- Controllers summon pets when attacked.
We hope you enjoy Issue 14: Architect Open Beta!~The Development Team~
Scholar? Caregiver? City Official? Now when players log out of City of Heroes / Villains they’re just getting started! A character’s day job is determined by the actual in-game location from which he or she logs out. If players log out from a University their day job is considered to be a Scholar. If they log out from City Hall they're a City Official. The benefits are thematically appropriate to the location. For example, a City Official earns extra Influence, a Scholar is granted Salvage, a Caregiver is granted Health Regeneration Buffs, etc.
Once characters have accumulated the required amount of time for each Day Job, they are rewarded with the appropriate Day Job Badge and Title, increasing their “earnings” for that job. Multiple Badges can be combined to unlock Accolades and the ability to accumulate additional new rewards. Almost every location within Paragon City and the Rogue Isles has an associated Day Job, resulting in a wide selection of jobs and rewards!New Powersets
Shields – Heft a Shield for Heroic of Villainous Ends! This new powerset brings a classic power to City of Heroes: Shields! Now, you can arm Tankers, Scrappers, Brutes and Stalkers with a powerful shield to protect themselves and their allies.
- Pain Domination – Villains can now bend the power of pain to serve their own ends! Those playing a Corruptor or Mastermind have access to this new powerset. The antithesis of the Hero healing powerset “Empathy,” Pain Domination brings parity between Heroes and Villains with a distinctively evil flair.
A new innovation to MMOs, this system allows you and a friend to create new characters and have your XP be permanently in sync, whether both characters are online or not. You will always be the same level, even if your friend plays ten times more often than you do!New Cimerora Missions
New Hero and Villain story arcs expand upon the history and lore, and delve into the players and politics of Cimerora.The Merit Rewards System
A new game system that allows players to earn tokens by completing Trials, Task Forces, Strike Forces, Raids, etc. The most challenging and time consuming tasks grant the most reward tokens, which can be redeemed throughout Hero and Villain zones for recipes, enhancements, salvage, costume pieces, badges, inspirations and other game items.Multiple Builds
Ever want a build solely for PvE or for PvP? Now you can have both at the same time with Dual Builds. Second build acts like a respec where you can re-choose all your powers, but keep in mind enhancements do not copy over to the second build, you will have to recycle or re-buy enhancements.Other features
New Invention Origin Sets, new Costume Sets, a Patron Power Respec, Zone Refinements, and more!INFORMATION FOR ISSUE 12 - MIDNIGHT HOUR!
What's new in Issue 12?The Midnight Squad
An organization of mystics, the Midnight Squad has a secret to end the Rikti Invasion, but without your help, it will remain 'Lost' forever...Cimerora
"The Midnighters hold many secrets within their walls, including a highly coveted Ouroboros crystal, enabling them to travel to the far reaches of time. There is a familiar threat in an ancient land and the Midnighters need the help of both Heroes and Villains to stop it. Players step foot upon the ancient land of the Roman Cimeroran Peninsula, where they battle deadly creatures, defend an ancient city and ultimately come face to face with the enemy of time itself. Throughout this journey players uncover the mysteries of power and the origins that guide them today."Roman Style Costumes
Unlocked through achievements ingame, make your Hero or Villain look like a true gladiator.Epic Archetypes...for Villains!
When a villain hits level 50, they now have two epic archetypes available: Wolf Spiders and Blood Widows. Each of these can branch off into their own different powersets - Wolf Spiders can work as either Bane or Crab Spiders and Blood Widows as Fortunata or Night Widows. All of this comes with a unique story, costume set, missions, and more.Powerset Proliferation
With Issue 12 comes a brand new opportunity - almost every Hero and Villain archetype will gain access to powers that they didn't have access to before!Hollows Zone "Gameplay Makeover"
"Significant changes have been made to the Hollows zone to make it more fun! NPC encounters have been rebalanced, including new spawns, new villain groups, mission door improvements, and a mobile hospital has been added to the entrance of the zone. Additionally, Meg Mason, a new contact, has been added to give out repeatable missions."What else?
Configurable new power trays - customize your UI by placing them anywhere you want.
Contact display redesign - display your contacts as active and inactive, sorting them by a number of criteria.
Inspiration conversion - change three of one kind of inspiration into one of another.
Level-up boost - gain a massive (if temporary) boost to your stats on a level up, as well as full HP and Endurance.
Chat improvements - right click on character names in chat window to ignore, add to friends list, invite to team, etc. Drag any item (enhancement, inspiration, salvage, etc.) into the chat window so that you and others can click a hotlink to view the complete info box.
More real numbers - players can now display stats on powers before they choose them enabling more informed power selection and new temporary powers allow players to display enemy stats.
Credit for the following belongs to Accault.
How good is CoX?
In this thread we discuss all things City of Heroes and City of Villains. For those new to our world here is a brief FAQ.City of Villains
___________________________________________________________________________________________City of Heroes
Get ready to put the tights on because Cryptic is serving up a 10 Day Free Trial
. What does that mean? It means you get a the chance to play the Best Super Hero based MMO of All Time*
*By best we mean only, though it is very good.10 Day Free Trials, EXCELSIOR!
Any active (or inactive) subscriber can send out a few Friend Invites which have a 10 Day Free Trial. We simply need your e-mail to do so. If you decide you like the game and subscribe for two months the person who sent out the invite gets a free month of game time. Very niiiice.PA plays on the Virtue server.
If you want in, make with the post asking for someone to PM you, then respond with your e-mail. We don't want to accidentally send one person multiple invites since there are only a limited number available. If you end up liking it you can buy the Good vs Evil edition in stores or online for $30 which gives you access to both games and a free month or get just CoH or CoV from the NCSoft store for $20 each. They also include a free month so for $40 you can get two months...meaning you pay $10 for the client instead of $15 when buying the GvE edition. It should be noted GvE comes with some special costume parts, badge, and a jump jet thingy that is okay. ALSO, if you are ACTUALLY INTERESTED and are WILLING TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE for a game someone MIGHT be able to hook you up with a Buddy Pass. All active CoXers got ONE Buddy Pass, which is a 10 day trial that lets you start playing the game for $15 a month afterwards without having to buy the client. Don't be a douche and try to get a Buddy Pass if you don't think you'll actually pay to play the game.The 411 on City of Heroes/Villains, yo.Character Creation is likened onto a game of its own.
At launch CoH had something like 3 trillion potentially different costume configurations. Since then they have easily doubled the number of costume pieces, not to mention added face scalers, particle effects, wings, capes, trench coats, etc. So the current number of potential costumes numbers somewhere in the range of awholefuckinglot.
Here is a sample of some of the PAers Team Night characters.
If you've ever wanted to be a robotic undead pirate with a leather fetish and fondness of 80's colorful fashion who can shoot electricity from his hands THIS is the game for you.
Download Mid's Hero Designer
for a list of all powers and Archetypes in the game.
OP and Second Post is in progress.