As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Babylon Motherfuckin' 5

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    J. Grant wrote: »
    I'm actually curious:

Does anyone here have a working theory of why this series continued after Season 4?

No, not some cynical sarcastic answer. The answer is not "cocks." I really have been trying to figure this out for years now, and no real explanation has come to light.

because it was always suppsosed to be 5 seasons

That is not a good reason.

That is a stupid reason.

How is the fact that he had a predetermined overarching arc that spanned 5 seasons a stupid reason

He finished the arc in season 4 because he thought he was going to get canceled. There was really no need for season 5

Bloods End on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man, I remember my friends and I totally geeking out to this show during college

good times

gurusloth on
  • Options
    J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually curious:

Does anyone here have a working theory of why this series continued after Season 4?

No, not some cynical sarcastic answer. The answer is not "cocks." I really have been trying to figure this out for years now, and no real explanation has come to light.

That is a stupid reason.

How is the fact that he had a predetermined overarching arc that spanned 5 seasons a stupid reason

J. Michael Straczinzszckininsky claims that this was the case, but I utterly refuse to believe it.

Season 1: Beginning of pretty cool story arc. Very Star Trekkish.

Season 2: Plot thickens. In 2259, War Was Beginning and whatnot.

Season 3: In a severe case of Skorpius Syndrome, the Shadows become the new bad guys. In the overarcing story, this is the run up to the climax.

Season 4: Climax, then denoument, and a pretty good one at that. The whole thing pretty much comes to a close, the grand story arc completed.

And then:

Season 5: Psi-corps wankery, more war between the Drakh, who nobody gives a shit about, and then they blow up the space station.

Where the fuck does season 5 fit into the overarcing story that, you know, ENDED in Season 4?

J. Grant on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I'm actually curious:

That is a stupid reason.

He finished the arc in season 4 because he thought he was going to get canceled. There was really no need for season 5

He finished the Civil War in season 4 because of that

The Drakh/Centauri stuff was always still part of the plan though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQARSzT2lbo

Nooo.

What do you mean "No"?

No.

CAN ANYONE HEAR US?

I hear you HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually curious:

That is a stupid reason.

J. Michael Straczinzszckininsky claims that this was the case, but I utterly refuse to believe it.

Season 1: Beginning of pretty cool story arc. Very Star Trekkish.

Season 2: Plot thickens. In 2259, War Was Beginning and whatnot.

Season 3: In a severe case of Skorpius Syndrome, the Shadows become the new bad guys. In the overarcing story, this is the run up to the climax.

Season 4: Climax, then denoument, and a pretty good one at that. The whole thing pretty much comes to a close, the grand story arc completed.

And then:

Season 5: Psi-corps wankery, more war between the Drakh, who nobody gives a shit about, and then they blow up the space station.

Where the fuck does season 5 fit into the overarcing story that, you know, ENDED in Season 4?

This post leads me to believe that you maybe saw it once as it aired and dont remember it very well

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Meesta Garibaldi!

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    G'Kar is the coolest mother fucker ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    When I heard Andreas Katsulas died, I was soooo freakin' heartbroken. G'Kar was my absolute favorite character overall. The relationship between G'Kar and Londo was absolutely fantastically developed. I did loooooove me some Ivonova and Marcus though too.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    season 5 would be much more fondly remembered if Ivanova had stayed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This post leads me to believe that you maybe saw it once as it aired and dont remember it very well

Holy shit, your Online Nerd Penis is MASSIVE!

I own the first four seasons. I watched the fifth for about three episodes and then gave it away to a friend who wanted it.

This series was done in the finale of the fourth season. Flogging the dead child farther down the track was not "great writing that realized the original story arc" as so many J. Michael worshippers claim. It was piss-poor writing. A good writer knows when to stop the story. JMS did not.

That or he just knew there were idiots out there who would give him a paycheck no matter what he did on this series.

Personally, I just pretend the fifth season didn't happen. It's much better that way.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the first half of season 5 is terrible.

I dont think even JMS would argue that.

But had he not crammed the end of the civil war into season 4, it still would have ended 1/3 or 1/2 way into season 5.

And all the Drakh/Centauri stuff would still have happaned.

I mean thats how Londo gets to the point he's in in War Without End Part II

Plus the fact that one of the running themes of the show was that there was no "end" there was always something else that was going to happen.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how the existance of the fifth season is so tormenting for you that you have to "pretend it didn't happen."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I mean JMS has even said that in the original breakdown, Intersections in Real Time would have been the season 4 finale.

You really think he was going to get an entire season of the 3 episodes after that?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are two good things about Season 5 - the Neil Gaiman episode, and Sleeping In Light (which is technically a season 4 episode).

And TNT almost gets a pass for fucking over B5:Crusade because "In the Beginning" would not have been made if the show hadn't migrated to TNT.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love how the existance of the fifth season is so tormenting for you that you have to "pretend it didn't happen."

I think I'll stick to a simple, classic "ur mom" in response, with maybe an extra "no U" added for garnish.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There are two good things about Season 5 - the Neil Gaiman episode, and Sleeping In Light (which is technically a season 4 episode).

And TNT almost gets a pass for fucking over B5:Crusade because "In the Beginning" would not have been made if the show hadn't migrated to TNT.

man fuck you, The Fall of Centauri Prime is a great episode

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can understand the complaints about certain aspects of B5 (though the end credits of Sleeping In Light sort of give them an out for some of the shitty acting) - however, people need to realize that, without B5, shows like LOST, ALIAS, and BSG would not have happened. Babylon 5 opened the door for multi-season storytelling.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think I'll stick to a simple, classic "ur mom" in response, with maybe an extra "no U" added for garnish.

Traditional. I like it. :^:

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's also worth noting that not only did JMS suddenly have to expand subplots into full blown arcs that had no business doing so (Telepath Colony) but Ivanova left the show, and a big chuck of story that would have belonged to her character went with her.

Oh also The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father was another great season 5 ep

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Great" should be reserved for 90% of season 3, 60% of season 2, 40% of season 4, a handful of season 1 episodes, "Sleeping In Light" (which was filmed as the season 4 finale, but then TNT picked up the show), and "In The Beginning".

Season 3 was fucking awesome.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQ-y589mx8

You know what? Gilbert and Sullivan are motherfuckin' cool..

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hated Franklin like 85% of the time but his friendship with Marcus made him tolerable

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwGbuj8wsdk

I forgot - TNT and Season 5 should get credit for having the best title sequence.

Fuck you, Bale - Franklin was awesome.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Franklin was a whiny douchebag

except when he was with Marcus

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, and Season 5 was underrated, even though a large part of it was in the hands of an actress whos previous credits include "Slutty extra" from ROADHOUSE and "crazy bitch" from the NotLD 1990 remake.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In the future, Russia will one day become relevant again.

And this will be our deity.

looney-tunes-daffy-duck-5000804.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck, I hated her.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have not once defended Lochely or anything from the first half of season 5, and even went so far as to point out that the lack of Ivonova did as much damage to the structure of it as did rushing the civil war storyline in season 4.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wait

The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari is in the first half of season 5, I'll defend that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So whats the deal with the captain in season one being so much cooler then the captain in season 2

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm talking about Pat Tallman, not Tracey Scroggins.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    So whats the deal with the captain in season one being so much cooler then the captain in season 2

Fandy you have said a lot of dumb things

but this

THIS

jesus christ Fandy

John Sherridan is so much cooler than Michael Sinclair its not even funny

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Lyta was awesome before the Byron storyline ruined her

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think by 'cooler' he meant 'wooden'.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

And in what season did the Byron storyline take place? :P

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think he rawks

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

in the first half of season 5 which I have said multiple times is as terrible as everyone else says

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

in season 5 which I have said multiple times is as terrible as everyone else says

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg