As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[reconquista on!]Let's Play: Europa Universalis 3

• Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In an hour, the slider decision will be over and I'll go on to actually start the game.

It's

Tradition-3
    Moral Economy, Quality, naval-2
    Serfdom-1

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I vote for naval, tradition, moral economy, and quality.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

You realize that then it'll just be a 4 way tie instead of a 5 way tie, correct?

I can only move 1 slider once per decade.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You realize that then it'll just be a 4 way tie instead of a 5 way tie, correct?

I can only move 1 slider once per decade.

No, no I did not. :P

Couscous on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tradition!

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Tradition!

Why the Church collects 1/10 of your earnings.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    IN THE COURT OF THE RETARD KING

Well, I moved towards tradition
    LPthanx.jpg
    (just kidding. All slider moves have a random chance of something bad happening, with a 12% chance of getting +1 stability. I was desperately praying to get that, but no)

Now, I apologize. In a picture in an earlier post, I referred to my king as 'rain man dumb'. This is not true. Rain man was intensely smart when it came to some things. Our king is not only a bad administrator, but he's also an average commander who has a lot of points in fire, a trait that doesn't become important until the 17th century.

That, and it seems that someone has masturbated all over Iberia.

morelikePiettdumb.jpg

Besides this, I sent out a marriage offer to France (which'll increase our relations from 95 to 115, which would be nice) and an alliance offer out of Portugal.

Both accepted.

wooo.jpg

This is awesome for me. In my previous Portugal and Castille games, I've noticed that if Portugal and Castille are allied, then Aragon won't attack. This move I've made means that if I manage to ally with France later on, I'll be able to surround Aragon diplomatically, instead of being isolated by an Aragonese-Portugal alliance.

Then a ton of events popped up; whether I would participate in the politics of the Holy Roman Empire (no, that's a shit ton of work which will distract me from either colonizing or raping all of North Africa), whether I would embrace the Rennaissance (I did, as in this case the hit in relations, -50 against the Papal State, isn't bad, and I can get those relations back with a couple of gifts later on), how much information on religious matters I would allow myself to find out about (only important). Besides this, I got around 12,000 heretic rebels come up, which was nice.

Then I got my first mission,
    1stmission.jpg
    Which kinda sucks. The mission in itself give HUGE rewards, but to get it I'll need to both own all of Greneda (a 20-year process) which means that I'll get the huge rewards in 15 years, at least.

Also, my king lost the first battle against the heretics. He's intensely incompetent. Thankfully, the Portugese save my ass.
    1stmission-1.jpg

Then I get some nice luck-
    SaintWang.jpg
    Saint Wang got canonized.

Alright, this is the first post, I'll set up my as time goes along (because if I continue to post like this, we'll have 50 new pages by the time I hit 1500)

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    With the help of the Portugese king, the rebels are defeated, and 2 years in, I get this joyous information.
    newtechnology.jpg
    So then I get to look at the idea I can choose
    ideas.jpg
    The more important ideas here are-
    Grand Army-allows for a larger maximum amount of soldiers and makes infantry 10% cheaper
    Military Drill-Makes for more diciplined and braver troops
    Battlefield Commissions-Increases our Military Tradition, which is what you draw on to create good generals, and makes our troops more diciplined
    Draft-Increases manpower by 33%
    Merchant Adventures-More merchants
    Shrewd Commerce Practice-more merchants and slightly better ones, too
    Viceroys-Overseas providences give you more money, and increases administrative efficiency (IE, how many providences you can have before becoming innefficient)
    Bureaucracy-higher taxes, higher efficiency
    National Banks-My personal reccomendation. This lowers inflation by .6 a year. Inflation is the reason I'm not putting any money into my treasury and I'm surviving off my yearly money. I get a monthly decrease in inflation, I'll be able to get more money and put more soldiers out faster.
    Bill of Rights- -5 revolt risk, which is ridiculous. The 2 revolts I got were from provs with 9% revoltrisk.
    Humanist Tolerence-It's ok, but what kind of a pansy would be 'tolerant'?

edit-In order to facilitate faster gameplay, from now on, whatever choices you make will set my priorities. I can't stop and wait a day whenever a major decision comes up, but the secondary choices for this will be what I choose later on. You have until 7 tomorrow to decide.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Draft-Increases manpower by 33%
    Do it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Draft is really meant for smaller nations that cant raise a army by themselves (In my current game I just formed Ireland, and all of the 5 provinces give me a max of 2,100 manpower, D:).

Putting in a vote for National Banks, Inflation can become a huge problem, especially when your treasury is set very high, which I predict it will, since we are probably going to be going around the world invading everything ever, and we will need moneys to support the giant war machine.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yah I like National Banks too.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    National Banks really is the best thing ever. So useful.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now that we are leaning towards tradition, I vote we lean towards a tradition of a Grand Army.

We can take the 10% drop in unit price and enjoy that - then go for the National Bank later. I'm guessing a 10% drop in army price is a bigger save in the treasury than the inflation drop, up to the time we can choose again.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well Grand Army sounds more awesome than boring old banks. I vote for Grand Army.

Food on
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Try as I might I never got into EU3. Victoria still commands my heart and soul though. Maybe I should give EU3 another go?

Silvanos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Grand Army and National Banks are both ideas which'll be useful--I'm going to be spending as much money as I can on the military anyways, mostly because Greneda is always guaranteed by Algiers and Tunis, at the least, and I'm not a man who likes taking retarded chances; especially when you take in that Muslim armies are better than Christian ones this early on.

Another suggestion for later on is utilizing the bill of rights or humanist tolerance, that is if we're invading Africa, because we will be taking over entirely muslim, berber areas, and missionaries can only fix the problem with religion; their culture will still be totally different from ours.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Grand Army and National Banks are both ideas which'll be useful--I'm going to be spending as much money as I can on the military anyways, mostly because Greneda is always guaranteed by Algiers and Tunis, at the least, and I'm not a man who likes taking retarded chances; especially when you take in that Muslim armies are better than Christian ones this early on.

Another suggestion for later on is utilizing the bill of rights or humanist tolerance, that is if we're invading Africa, because we will be taking over entirely muslim, berber areas, and missionaries can only fix the problem with religion; their culture will still be totally different from ours.

What, genocide isn't possible in the game?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What, genocide isn't possible in the game?

Unfortunately no.

This game messes you up. Seeing history strictly from the perspective of countries is an odd way to see life. "Man, if I could just wipe out all of the berbers...wait, what am I thinking of? Jesus Christ!" is a thought that's occurred before.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok, so Grand Army?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thats funny I just went digging for this thread and wham you front page it :) Anyway, I think Great Army is good. We will need to keep National Banks in mind though.

One thing I noticed in my own game as Portugal is that if you get a NI from an event it eats your next available slot so you have to wait even longer before you get one you can choose...

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My vote stands for National Bank, it is many more times useful than Grand Army.

I think its 3-2 in favour of National Bank actually, looking at the thread.

I think.

Edit: No wait someone posted while I was typing, it is now a tie.

I vote for the modernizer party and its shiny trains.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    giltanis wrote: »
    Thats funny I just went digging for this thread and wham you front page it :) Anyway, I think Great Army is good. We will need to keep National Banks in mind though.

One thing I noticed in my own game as Portugal is that if you get a NI from an event it eats your next available slot so you have to wait even longer before you get one you can choose...

Which is a bitch, because once you get access to southern africa/brazil, then you want to fucking colonize that, which means you would've needed to take colonial ventures as your 1st idea, back when it was entirely useless.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm fine with either, and I'm getting dinner.

If there's a tiebreaking vote by the time I get back, I'll go with that.

If not, I'll flip a coin.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll vote for Grand Army.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I change my vote to National Bank.

Couscous on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh shit, this is my chance to actually learn playing EU! I'll be watching this Let's Play very closely.

Incidentally, would there be any interest in a Hearts of Iron II Let's Play?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Throwing down for National Bank.

admanb on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    National Bank! Also, I am always interested in more let's plays.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, so I take national bank, which lets me raise roughly 1 ducat a year. Thankfully, this means that the money I get per year is roughly 35 ducats a year, with Land military costs kept at their highest. With the Portugese having finally defeated the rebels, I'm allowed to spend time to allow my regiments to be brought back up to 1000 men. Once this was done, I put military spending down to the least it can go (which means no new men directly to the military, instead they go into my 'stock', but also means that morale is kept low. This is ok, because 3 ducats a month really pays off)
    militarysituation1.jpg

The maximum amount of soldiers that I can have without incurring extra costs is 32,000. Within 2 years I raise this number.

Then, everything I was praying for happened.

FernandoV.jpg

Our shitty king died, and was replaced by Fernando V, a badass who's administrational skill will increase funds, while his diplomatic skill keeps enemies off our back.

Then, something else happens.

CRUSADINTIME.jpg

(note-Cores means that I consider the land within my patrimony. Cores have tremendously less revoltrisk and you can build your own units in them)
    I decide to take it, as a core on Judea would be awesome (Judea is a holy place for Christians, meaning that if I have it, I get extra prestige each year), and if I don't take it in the 50 years that a core dies, then eh, I'll just lose some prestige.

So, my troops are there, at the border, the only thing left is to reconquist. Firstly I revoke Greneda of the honor of being my vassal (incurring a light prestige penalty, but I got roughly 1.5 prestige from each battle I won, so...). This leads Greneda to get pretender rebels, the worst kind of rebels you can get, as they have a shit ton of cavalry and are lead by a good general.

Personally, I think they should stop pretending to be anything but heathens. I let the pretender rebels kick the Grenedan army's ass, and move in with my troops.

STOPPRETENDING.jpg

Portugal goes ahead, and declares war too. After that, the horrific powers that are Morrocco and Tripoli declare war on me.

Eh.

Anyways, I break through the level 2 forts in Greneda and Almeria, and ask for terms.

I can get away with awesome terms.

awesomepeace.jpg

All of the providences I can take (you can't take the capital of a country unless they're only 1 providence), plus 75 ducats. Notice how I've been talking about 45 ducats a year, 2 ducats a month, etc etc. This is a large amount of money I'm getting. It's awesome.

Out for now, I'll post to show you how the wars against the Maghrebi works.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ouchies1.jpg

Yeah, not going well. Morrocco gets a lot of manpower early on, enough that my (currently) inferior troops can't kick their asses without a massive investment. My strategy is that I'm going to pick off their allies (tunis, Tripoli) by blockading them entirely, then going for a blockade of Morrocco.

Also, we now have a lot of money (I kept the ghettos in Gibraltar and Almeria), and will probably continue to get money. Should we put it into converting our new providences, and finally putting our theologan to use, or should we try to get the Canarias up to an actual city?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good luck with your campaign dude!

I recently quit my latest attempt at this fucking game after half an hour of shouting at the screen in fury. I have played several games now, struggling to learn about the economical systems and how to fight effectively.

This time, what fucked me up the ass was Austria. Somehow that small country, that had not won a single province in the game until I decided to go to war against it, could not only field a larger standing army than me even though I doubled their monthly income, but when the war begun he started to recruit more soldiers in five provinces at a time and then did not stop doing this for two years. A literally never ending horde of soldiers went over my borders, and that was not the worst part. At one point I thought I had one of his larger armies, as I stormed the province they were in with 20 thousand men, 16 thousand of them cavalry, against their mixed 10 k strong army. I beat them down to three thousand with small losses, but then they just stopped dying. After a long chain of ones, twos and zeros he sent my twenty thousand man army running. He consistently managed to roll higher than me on those fucking dice, sometimes to an extent that he could win against odds of two to one.

Every equal battle we fought he sent me running. When I stormed three thousand men with ten thousand cavalry he usually lost 25 per blow. Our land technology only differed by 1.

The war was still undecided when I stopped, even though he had taken half of my provinces. I just realised I do not have to play this shit. The pure frustration is not worth it. I have tried to learn, but the game always fucks me up in the end.

/rant

Edit: What I am trying to say is if you are thinking about trying this game, don't. The kind of people who enjoy this kind of game are already playing it.

Vic on
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You should have started with Crusader Kings and converted to EU3. That way Europe and the Middle East would have been all bizarro by this time period.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Rage

Austria was probably the Holy Roman Emperor, since when you're HRE, you get massive bonuses to Manpower and Land Forcelimits, so they can easily field a army of hundreds of thousands of soldiers, and not get a upkeep penalty on it.

This is why you don't fuck with any part of the HRE that the Emperor likes, because chances are he will declare war on you and invade with his rape legion.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm wondering which nation you were that you got spanked by Austria.

I'm also wondering what kind of mod you are playing that Austria didn't somehow expand to be the entirety of Germany, because fuckin' Austrians always gobble up the HRE, because they are a super powerful nation.

P10 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd say you should try to convert those Iberian provinces.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm wondering which nation you were that you got spanked by Austria.

I'm also wondering what kind of mod you are playing that Austria didn't somehow expand to be the entirety of Germany, because fuckin' Austrians always gobble up the HRE, because they are a super powerful nation.

I was playing Venice.

And gosh darn it, I think you guys are right about them being the Holy Roman empire at the time. That would explain it.

Now I feel a bit silly. Not silly enough to reinstall the game though.

Oh, and to Ethan Smith, I would try to get a white peace with the African nations. Expanding into northern Africa is expensive and will only net you rebellious and poor provinces.

You would probably do much better in trying to find a weak alliance somewhere in Italy and grab some rich coastal provinces, or wipe out Portugal if this is possible. Gaining five provinces in Europe with an average income of 15 is better than grabbing ten provinces in Africa with an average income of five.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I'm trying to get a white peace from Morrocco. I used my strategy for winning wars with countries you don't want to fight--lay siege to their capital. If you capture their capital, the enemy instantly loses 10 prestige and gains a good amount of war exhaustion. they'll accept a peace offering of some ducats easily.

Instead, I think I'm just going to get white peaces as quickly as possible and then, after I beat Greneda and swallow Aragon, maybe I'll move across to Italy or the netherlands, but I'll prolly just go and take Judea.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does Spain start with a hardy navy? Because if you can blockade most of their ports it'll give a massive war score for very little cost. You can get like 30-50% just from blockading, which can get you a white peace easily, if not some ducats.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does Spain start with a hardy navy? Because if you can blockade most of their ports it'll give a massive war score for very little cost. You can get like 30-50% just from blockading, which can get you a white peace easily, if not some ducats.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that I'm not playing for providences at the moment.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Good luck with your campaign dude!

I recently quit my latest attempt at this fucking game after half an hour of shouting at the screen in fury. I have played several games now, struggling to learn about the economical systems and how to fight effectively.

This time, what fucked me up the ass was Austria. Somehow that small country, that had not won a single province in the game until I decided to go to war against it, could not only field a larger standing army than me even though I doubled their monthly income, but when the war begun he started to recruit more soldiers in five provinces at a time and then did not stop doing this for two years. A literally never ending horde of soldiers went over my borders, and that was not the worst part. At one point I thought I had one of his larger armies, as I stormed the province they were in with 20 thousand men, 16 thousand of them cavalry, against their mixed 10 k strong army. I beat them down to three thousand with small losses, but then they just stopped dying. After a long chain of ones, twos and zeros he sent my twenty thousand man army running. He consistently managed to roll higher than me on those fucking dice, sometimes to an extent that he could win against odds of two to one.

Every equal battle we fought he sent me running. When I stormed three thousand men with ten thousand cavalry he usually lost 25 per blow. Our land technology only differed by 1.

The war was still undecided when I stopped, even though he had taken half of my provinces. I just realised I do not have to play this shit. The pure frustration is not worth it. I have tried to learn, but the game always fucks me up in the end.

/rant

Edit: What I am trying to say is if you are thinking about trying this game, don't. The kind of people who enjoy this kind of game are already playing it.

Yeah, sounds like Austria was HRE. Also, this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but were the actual units upgraded? A good strategy (at least early-mid game) is to have a stack of just cavalry so that when you chase retreating armies, you'll get in place first and your enemy will have an attacking penalty.

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg