Options

Mass Effect - Say goodbye to our little friend!

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what the almighty fuck is going on here

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    what the almighty fuck is going on here

AGREED

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kedinik wrote: »
    You make a good point. Sometimes they are outside without their sirens on. At least, this is true when they have finished responding to an emergency and are driving back to station.

They do not have other shit to do. It is their express job to keep their schedules free and sit in one place in case they're needed. I'm good on Schrödinger's cat and metaphors, but if you need help understanding what firefighters do I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to tell you about them.

Zounds! I have been defeated on the internets. Oh noes! I have been corrected in a most thorough manner. Fire fighters and their vehicles are never, ever seen away from their stations unless either on their way to an emergency or on their way back. Amongst the thing they don't do, they are never seen at local or county fairs as part of a public service/recruiting drive effort. They never go to schools to talk to children about what it is they do. And in the time I used to work at a grocery store I, in fact, never saw them park one of their trucks in the parking lot and then enter the store to purchase groceries for the stationhouse.

And I certainly have never spent anytime around fire fighters or other emergency personnel to even guess that they don't just sit around playing cards, shooting hoops, or even washing the vehicles whilst waiting for the alarm call.

It was indeed very clever of you to volley my words back at me to win an argument nearly two days old that nobody cares about. Huzzah!

Or: Let it go...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    holy shit, the ironing is delicious

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And then we decided stop fagging up the goddam thread.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iron is good for the body. It's also good for pants...

Speaking of iron: I wonder if it's still used in constructing things within the ME universe or have they moved on to using some kind of synthetic material...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't

Although there's probably something in that codex thing I never read about it

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iron is probably used in alloys much more advanced than steel, probably not by itself outside of cooking impliments.

Wonder if they even use steel, anymore.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i wonder if they even cook anymore

LaCabra on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Your post about my over-thoroughness was substantially more thorough, sirrah.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I believe the Normandy was built by the same shipyards that build the ships for Starfleet. No kitchens, no restrooms, ten sleeping pods, and one Captain's Quarters. Oh, and doors that go 'shhhh' when they open.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    it is their pleasure to open for you and their satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done

LaCabra on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I believe the Normandy was built by the same shipyards that build the ships for Starfleet. No kitchens, no restrooms, ten sleeping pods, and one Captain's Quarters. Oh, and doors that go 'shhhh' when they open.

In the future, there is no need for restrooms.

Also, all restaurants are Taco Bell.

EDIT: PARADOX AHOY!

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In the future, there will be robots.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As a long time gamer yesterday was a real downer - EGM got shut down and many of the talented people at 1UP lost their jobs.

BUT I BRING GOOD TIDINGS! TIDINGS OF MASS EFFECT 2! RING THE CHURCH BELLS! AWAKEN THE TOWNE!

Check this out, from the GDC 09 schedule
    The Iterative Level Design Process of Bioware's MASS EFFECT 2
    Speaker: Corey Andruko (Project Manager, BioWare), Dusty Everman (Lead Technical Designer, BioWare)
    Date/Time: TBD
    Track: Production
    Secondary Track: Game Design
    Format: 60-minute Lecture
    Experience Level: All

Session Description
    This session examines the BioWare Mass Effect team’s new level-creation process, which is focused on maximizing iteration for quality while minimizing rework and cost. This approach to building levels strives to integrate the Design, Art, and Production teams such that the highest-risk level-creation issues are addressed early in the development cycle. Lessons learned from Mass Effect lead to a detailed description of the new level-creation process, and graphical examples of a level illustrate its progression through the necessary phases. The discussion also examines how BioWare is currently implementing this process using elements of Scrum and Lean Development.

Takeaway
    Attendees will: - Gain insight into some of the major issues the development team encountered while building Mass Effect at BioWare; - Get a detailed look at the Mass Effect team’s new approach to creating levels while avoiding these issues; - Find out how this new process is working for the Mass Effect team; - Learn about new pitfalls the team discovered that can potentially be avoided on future game projects.

Intended Audience and Prerequisites
    This lecture is intended for producers, designers, or any game developer involved in planning, specification, or content creation for game levels. An understanding of modern video game development workflows is recommended.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm playing through this again and I noticed something I never really did last time. In every conversation you have where someone walks out of frame, the person leaving looks to their exit eyes first, then the head turns, then they leave. For some reason I always hear Zoidberg's 'woop woopwoopwoopwoopwoop'

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Getting back into this game after playing Fallout 3 just depresses me about how fallout turned out.
    I want this company to make 5000 games for me to play.
    Is Jade Empire worth getting on oxbox to play?
    If not, what can I play after this to get a good fix?
    (Having already played KOTOR)

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

In the future, there is no need for restrooms.

Also, all restaurants are Taco Bell.

EDIT: PARADOX AHOY!

Also, the Arnold Schwarzenegger Presidential Library

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Getting back into this game after playing Fallout 3 just depresses me about how fallout turned out.

I thought they were awesome in different ways. Mass Effect wins the story, but is a rather big let down on the exploration.

Fallout 3 goes the other way: exploration is incredibly rewarding. Even the story is pretty good, until you get to the very obviously rushed ending.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I thought they were awesome in different ways. Mass Effect wins the story, but is a rather big let down on the exploration.

Fallout 3 goes the other way: exploration is incredibly rewarding. Even the story is pretty good, until you get to the very obviously rushed ending.

I certainly enjoyed Fallout 3 but once I got back into this I realized how nice good voice acting and walking on the ground was.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Patboy I'd definitely say that Jade Empire is worth a playthrough. I didn't think it was quite as good as KOTOR or ME but I still really enjoyed it.

Peen on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys I'm so happy this thread exists. Did all of you just simultaneously get the urge to play this again? Because I did. I love this game.

Rucio on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Patboy I'd definitely say that Jade Empire is worth a playthrough. I didn't think it was quite as good as KOTOR or ME but I still really enjoyed it.

Also, Storm Dragon = win as a heads up.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rucio wrote: »
    Guys I'm so happy this thread exists. Did all of you just simultaneously get the urge to play this again? Because I did. I love this game.

I don't recall the ME threads ever really dieing out. They've had slow but steady activity every since the game released.

Houn on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

What gaming systems do you have? Jade Empire is available on Windows and Mac. You can also get it on Live.

takyris on
  • Options
    BetaflameBetaflame Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Regarding technology used;

There's a great moment in the book Old Man's War, where humans are augmented/equipped with amazing gear and weaponry.

It's then very clearly laid out that these amazing items will barely put humanity on an even footing with some of the opposition in the universe.

They aren't all super-duper-super-soldiers. They are given the best tools available in large quantities that are considered the very least necessary to have a fighting chance to do the jobs they're assigned.

I should go look up the quote at some point, it's a great moment in the book. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, feel free to post it here.

After receiving their rifle's for the first time one recruit makes a remark about how unlucky the enemy of his army must be. His drill Sargent proceeds to disarm him and then tell the rest of the recruits:
    Listen to me now: There has never been a military in the entire history of the human race that has gone to war equipped with more than the least that it needs to fight its enemy. War is expensive. It costs money and it costs lives and no civilization has an infinite amount of either. So when you fight, you conserve. You use and equip only as much as you have to, never more.
    Basically, equipment is expensive, but lives are limited.

Betaflame on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    takyris wrote: »

What gaming systems do you have? Jade Empire is available on Windows and Mac. You can also get it on Live.

I have an ass-old PC (which shouldn't be a problem but I just removed the sound system from it.) and a 360.
    Well, I have a bunch of Macs too but they never seem to handle any games well. The newest mac I have is a three-year-old macbook.
    I was thinking of downloading it through Live

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Betaflame wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Regarding technology used;

There's a great moment in the book Old Man's War, where humans are augmented/equipped with amazing gear and weaponry.

It's then very clearly laid out that these amazing items will barely put humanity on an even footing with some of the opposition in the universe.

They aren't all super-duper-super-soldiers. They are given the best tools available in large quantities that are considered the very least necessary to have a fighting chance to do the jobs they're assigned.

I should go look up the quote at some point, it's a great moment in the book. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, feel free to post it here.

After receiving their rifle's for the first time one recruit makes a remark about how unlucky the enemy of his army must be. His drill Sargent proceeds to disarm him and then tell the rest of the recruits:
    Listen to me now: There has never been a military in the entire history of the human race that has gone to war equipped with more than the least that it needs to fight its enemy. War is expensive. It costs money and it costs lives and no civilization has an infinite amount of either. So when you fight, you conserve. You use and equip only as much as you have to, never more.
    Basically, equipment is expensive, but lives are limited.

To misquote Braveheart: "Ammo costs money. The dead cost nothing."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    takyris wrote: »

I have an ass-old PC (which shouldn't be a problem but I just removed the sound system from it.) and a 360.
    Well, I have a bunch of Macs too but they never seem to handle any games well. The newest mac I have is a three-year-old macbook.
    I was thinking of downloading it through Live

Also, isn't Jade Empire available as part of the Xbox Originals program? Convenient and (mostly) compatible...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thank you Betaflame. As far as Sci-Fi goes, I'm really enjoying that series (just finished the second book a few weeks ago).

I'm making progress on my second run through. Being an engineer (and thus, lacking much in the way of firepower) is challenging, doubly so for skipping from Easy to Hardcore combat, but it's fun as hell. Using more cover, and actually having powers other than the one assault rifle ability I put to irregular use as a soldier (well, and my Spectre rez), whereas I have that many abilities at an even earlier level now.

I also like (what I feel to be) greater freedom in team building; I don't have to have a tech member for electronics/decrypting/etc work, I can do it myself. I'm just about done with Citadel for the first time, have most of the party on hand, and am ready to venture out into the wild universe once more.

Being able to breeze through conversations also speeds things up, and thus far I've managed to avoid any particularly nasty accidental choices, though by nature I'm a quick save whore, so I doubt it'll hurt too badly even if I do make a hasty faux pas.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jade Empire is a decent game, I just personally thought the combat was shit. Also, the open hand, closed hand thing never felt like it impacted the game. I was all nice and happy, then all of a sudden I had the option to:
    Bind everyone's wishes to my command

But I am sure it's cheap now, and prolly worth a play through.

Have you played The Witcher yet? I thought that was fan-fucking-tastic.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You could play KOTOR2 which is better than all of them put together.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I lol'd.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After playing Mass Effect for the first time when it came out, I read the two Hyperion novels by Dan Simmons, and it continued the emotions I had while playing ME.

It was awesome.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You could read the Let's Play of KOTOR2 which is better than all of them put together.

Fixed. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I lol'd.

I'm serious! And once Team Gizka is finished I won't have to play Planescape: Torment anymore because I'll have KOTOR2 all nice and shiny.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I lol'd.

I'm serious! And once Team Gizka is finished

I lol'd.

Oh and I hope you guys are happy, all of this Mass Effect talk has made me start another run through.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I lol'd.

I'm serious! And once Team Gizka is finished I won't have to play Planescape: Torment anymore because I'll have KOTOR2 all nice and shiny.
    There will never be a time when humanity does not need Planescape: Torment to remind them what games are capable of.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have played KOTOR2.

YOUR PRANK HAS FAILED!

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...*silently tosses a blue rose on the ME threads grave now that the cursed phrase "KotOR 2 is better than etc..." has been uttered.*

*weeps a single tear*

Dragkonias on