Options

Mass Effect - Say goodbye to our little friend!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I did the same thing and was really impressed. Looks better than it does on my PC. Too bad it runs like crap on the Xbox.

What with all those compatibility issues and planets missing textures and all...

Not just missing textures mind you, but missing textures that hold horrible, horrible death

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I did the same thing and was really impressed. Looks better than it does on my PC. Too bad it runs like crap on the Xbox.

What with all those compatibility issues and planets missing textures and all...

Not just missing textures mind you, but missing textures that hold horrible, horrible death

Yeah... Too bad it runs like crap on the Xbox, though.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never had a problem with running it on the 360 and YOU GUYS CAN'T TAKE MY HAPPINESS AWAY

I did the mission where you have to go to Earth's Moon earlier. When I rode over a hill and the Earth came into view in front of me it was awe inspiring.

I never knew eyeballs could feel joy.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I have to play on high auto aim just because the FPS likes to drop when I am trying to make an important shot.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with running it on the 360 and YOU GUYS CAN'T TAKE MY HAPPINESS AWAY

I did the mission where you have to go to Earth's Moon earlier. When I rode over a hill and the Earth came into view in front of me it was awe inspiring.

Then you realize that Earth is backwards.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Then you realize that Earth is backwards.

...really? I can't say I paid that much attention to it, besides how pretty it looked.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why not combine the best of both worlds eh?

HDMI to a nice big high def TV, play it on wireless mousey and keyboardy linked to your PC

...I am totally doing that when I get home today.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah... Too bad it runs like crap on the Xbox, though.

Are... are you making fun of me? Because honestly, it's never run well on my Xbox. Lots of CD spinning and long load times (not just elevators) and tons and tons of texture pop.

Yes, I was pretty flabbergasted to find that a major story planet has gaping black holes in it. In fact, it's downright shoddy work on their part of the conversion. But everything else--the other 95% of the game--runs so smooth on my machine. I've gotten maybe a handful of those "Loading" signs, whereas I get them all the time when I'm running around the Wards on my 360.

If it works great for you guys... awesome. I've always been disappointed with its performance on the Xbox, and I find it hard to believe I'm alone in that.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, that led to a bit of "recon by Youtube" and guestimating where lava would and wouldn't be. According to the Steam forums there's a fix for it out there, which I might look into tonight if I decide to continue persuing a second run through with a new class.

On one hand, I'm kind of attached to my 42 Soldier.

On the other hand, I'd like more freedom in being effective on the ground with a variety of team layouts, which to me means not having to have a tech character, so engineer seems to be the best one to run with a bunch of other characters, given how popular being able to hack/decrypt/use electronics seems to be while adventuring.

I admit, I do kind of miss being able to shotgun things in the face accurately, though. Sniper rifles are okay, but I found the assualt rifle was my bread and butter, and my engineer can toss points into those down the line.

Another stupid question; I see that some achievements give bonuses to damage, shields and other things. Do these apply to ALL future games, or just the specific save(s) you earned/qualify for them with?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would figure that it only is concerned about the profile using them (if the PC version does that). If like the 360 version there is a section in the menus where you can view achievements, if shit is unlocked, then it should count. No matter what version of Shepard you're playing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Another stupid question; I see that some achievements give bonuses to damage, shields and other things. Do these apply to ALL future games, or just the specific save(s) you earned/qualify for them with?
    On the Xbox it's for every character as far as I can tell. I would assume the PC is the same.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »

Yeah, that led to a bit of "recon by Youtube" and guestimating where lava would and wouldn't be. According to the Steam forums there's a fix for it out there, which I might look into tonight if I decide to continue persuing a second run through with a new class.

On one hand, I'm kind of attached to my 42 Soldier.

On the other hand, I'd like more freedom in being effective on the ground with a variety of team layouts, which to me means not having to have a tech character, so engineer seems to be the best one to run with a bunch of other characters, given how popular being able to hack/decrypt/use electronics seems to be while adventuring.

I admit, I do kind of miss being able to shotgun things in the face accurately, though. Sniper rifles are okay, but I found the assualt rifle was my bread and butter, and my engineer can toss points into those down the line.

Everyone tied to that account for the Xbox. Everyone in the PC version.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How come you cant open up a romance subplot with Wrex :|

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Cause Shepard ain't no Chubby Chaser! :P

Seriously though, that woulda been sweet. Seduce, Then Shoot him. Now how's THAT for Renegade points?!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »

Cause Shepard ain't no Chubby Chaser! :P

Seriously though, that woulda been sweet. Seduce, Then Shoot him. Now how's THAT for Renegade points?!

Shoot him...with your penis?

Besides, 4 testicles dude.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really, it's a wonder how Shepard got the Spectre gig in the first place. You would think that there is some sort of a major psych evaluation before they hand you the clearance to kill anything that looks at you at the wrong way.

Saren

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Really, it's a wonder how Shepard got the Spectre gig in the first place. You would think that there is some sort of a major psych evaluation before they hand you the clearance to kill anything that looks at you at the wrong way.

Saren

Elcors.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Saren

Elcors.

Dude... Elcor Spectre!

Speaking of how awesome Elcor are, I wonder if we'll meet an Elcor/Asari hybrid. Since Asari take on aspects of their father-specie it would be very interesting. She wouldn't have to do the "Genuine query: How are you today?" stuff but just a very slow and deliberate style of speaking. It would be bizarre at the very least.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One thing I'd really like to see in ME2 is to be able to control the rest of your squad, KotOR style.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One thing I'd really like to see in ME2 is to be able to control the rest of your squad, KotOR style.

Get the pc version :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wow Ashley really is a racist, I really want to kill her.

Walking through the Citadel, all of a sudden I hear something along the lines of " Wow, its hard to tell the aliens from the animals here " in a very smug holier than thou fashion.

My god what a bitch

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Walking through the Citadel, all of a sudden I hear something along the lines of " Wow, its hard to tell the aliens from the animals here " in a very smug holier than thou fashion.

My god what a bitch

They need more interaction between followers. For example, Wrex would have choked a bitch at that point.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

My god what a bitch

They need more interaction between followers. For example, Wrex would have choked a bitch at that point.

I would have willingly sacrificed Ashley for such a scene [ Especially considering I've not used Ashley since Eden Prime anyway ]

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why's it always one super race in the past that happened to get wiped out?

Before we had the protheans, suddenly now we've got salarians, asari, humans, elcor, and fifty other species. But the protheans, they apparently had the run of the galaxy by themselves. Maybe the protheans are secretly the reapers out to ruin everyone's day, since they must have killed off all the other species that evolved in the last reaper cycle.

I have thought about this before.

Well keep in mind that the protheans stopped the last reaper cycle by messing with the keepers.

For all we know only the Asari (and maybe the salarians too) would have managed to spread their way over the universe except that the reapers didn't get to fly into the citadel.

Perhaps the Prothean cycle just happened to be one race and the ones previous had a few species.

Blake T on
  • Options
    HaydenDerkHaydenDerk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what my problem was with Mass Effect? The way the story is told.

I know I'm being vague and my opinion is a very personal one that doesn't cover many other people's feelings but, for some reason, I was pissed at the way the story was told. I can't explain it exactly but somehow, throughout the game, I kept feeling like, "Why is such a great plot unfolding in such a lame way?"

HaydenDerk on
    We all know Oblivion was better than Morrowind, right?....RIGHT!?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HaydenDerk wrote: »
    You know what my problem was with Mass Effect? The way the story is told.

I know I'm being vague and my opinion is a very personal one that doesn't cover many other people's feelings but, for some reason, I was pissed at the way the story was told. I can't explain it exactly but somehow, throughout the game, I kept feeling like, "Why is such a great plot unfolding in such a lame way?"

I felt that the entire middle segment was jumbled up where nothing significant or interesting happened.

Bugman on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought this game on Steam and it's pretty fun apart from all the walking around cities and the fucking elevators

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I bought this game on Steam and it's pretty fun apart from all the walking around cities and the fucking elevators

20071116.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Especially the longer elevators. What the fuck?

Wasn't the thread title something about "Hot elevator action" for a while? I only noticed it in passing until I finally grabbed it on Steam around Christmas.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Have you played the nonstory planets yet?

Couscous on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Here's a scary thought: the elevators are even slower in the 360 version (at least pre NXE)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Here's a scary thought: the elevators are even slower in the 360 version (at least pre NXE)

Copying to the HDD doesn't increase the elevator speed. They are hard coded timers. If there is any improvement in the lolivators, it wouldn't be by more than a second. The generic loading screens are faster and the texture pop-in takes less time to clear up.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    someone obviously needs to mod the elevators. I know they take a long time simply to give a sense of scale.

but holy fuck

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    someone obviously needs to mod the elevators. I know they take a long time simply to give a sense of scale.

but holy fuck

Yes, obviously. Somebody should mod the elevators so that they no longer act as a way to cover the loading of new areas. That way players can get on the lolivators and instantaneously warp to the new area, loading priorities be damned.

Oh, if only there was a way to quickly move from area to area on the Citadel without having to waste time riding in an elevator... Woe betide us for such a missed opportunity!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the elevators didn't bug me as much as how dollish and awkwardly animated the human characters were. And a lot of the aliens look like set pieces more than sentient beings.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    the elevators didn't bug me as much as how dollish and awkwardly animated the human characters were. And a lot of the aliens look like set pieces more than sentient beings.

The hanar and elcor were especially guilty of that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They should mod that. Please YouTube the results. I miss the days of Shepard standing in a featureless unlit void on top of a purple untextured box placed there so that he doesn't fall hundreds of meters before the floor geometry loads in.

takyris on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I took the elevators even when transit would have been faster, just to see my team bicker/joke/giggle.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kedinik wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    But throwing out the line 'it sure was convenient how quickly they responded' is like suggesting that fast response times from the fire department means they set the fire.

What if the Fire Station is 10 minutes away and they get there in 5?

What if the first vehicle on the scene happened to be five minutes away from the station? They're not the Thunderbirds waiting for the call by sitting motionless in the garage, pretending to be Schrödinger's Fire Department.

Why has it become so fashionable to misuse the Schrödinger's cat reference? Fire fighters do, in fact, just sit in their fire station until they get a call, and even if that were not true your analogy still would not make any sense.

All the time? For ever and ever, amen? They do not sit around merely waiting for the alarm to ring. They're people with shit to do and if you've never seen a FD vehicle on the streets without its siren and lights working, then it means you've never been outside.

The reference to Schrödinger was for the benefit of those who know about the Thunderbirds and their magic garages of super vehicles just sitting there waiting for some emergency so they can stiffly spring into action. As if their actual existence didn't matter until it did.

Knowing what Schrödinger's cat means and what a metaphor is can be complicated. But we're here to help. All you have to do, is break the seal and ask.

You make a good point. Sometimes they are outside without their sirens on. At least, this is true when they have finished responding to an emergency and are driving back to station.

They do not have other shit to do. It is their express job to keep their schedules free and sit in one place in case they're needed. I'm good on Schrödinger's cat and metaphors, but if you need help understanding what firefighters do I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to tell you about them.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mass Effect- Wherein we argue about Schrodinger and firefighters

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]