Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cool - I'll wait for the pax phalla to end, and then if JT's happy, kick on in the vacant space left there then.

Micro on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, I totally posted a few days ago saying I was going to put up a mini soon. :P But if Sigmund and Micro want to run theirs next, I'll wait until Deus Ex is over. 8-)

Burnage on
  • Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you want to take the spot after sigmund that'd be fine with me, but he 'bagsied' a spot about a week and a half ago apparently, so we've had an empty spot going spare for a few days while we've waited.

Anyhow, people here know how much I love hosting, but I've waited 6 months, so if you want to jump in after pax, I'm more than happy to wait until after deus ex.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nah, you first. PAX should be over tonight, Deus Ex in the night few days, so there's plenty of space to go around. I probably need to tweak my game a bit first, anyways. :P

Burnage on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got a mini idea that came to me in a flash and that I'm working on now. It's a grid based game with the regular vote and a public compass vote where a player's location on the grid is their role and will determine potential allies and enemies. Also, all the mechanics will be fully public.

If there is a drought coming up soon in minis I should be able to put it together fairly quickly, but I'm in no rush.

Savant on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i had a few ideas for minis today but man

should I run a vanillamini for my first or should I try to make it different

I am scared of completely cocking up

Raneados on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I ran Blink for my first. It wasn't too complicated, but it did require a lot of PMs both in and out, and I didn't completely cock that one up. So you could run something with some variety no problem.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    sweet!

now to work on it

or maybe get distracted and distractedly work on 3 others instead

it is a mystery

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If Sigmund doesn't post a mini in the next ... I don't know ... four or five hours, I will, because we have no minis running.

Burnage on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PAX is over. The devil was summoned.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just found out my work schedule is gonna be CRAZY

working till 1 AM every day whaaat

would ending days at like 2 AM EST be unheard of?

also: I think i've flushed out the details. Just gotta check some drawings and see how best to run it

Raneados on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    I think i've flushed out the details.

That's not a good thing to do with details. You should probably hold on to them.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    no the details can go suck a dick

my phalla will have no details

Raneados on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is 20 people a good number for a faction mini?

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hippie wrote: »

It depends. How many factions, how many kills each?

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

2 factions, 2 maybe 3 kills each...

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

In addition to the vote? Unless you're planning a huge number of guards as well, that's going to be an incredibly short game. One kill a faction would probably be better.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

In addition to the vote? Unless you're planning a huge number of guards as well, that's going to be an incredibly short game. One kill a faction would probably be better.

Everyone would have abilities, and yes, there would be an equal number of guards, also role-blockers and maybe bus drivers.

I could also easily up the numbers to, say, 25. More than that would harder for a mini (with my specific theme in mind)

Also, its a mini, is a short game really that bad?

Hippie on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, too short ends up not being fun for some people. The problem is more in the randomness involved with that many vigs and guards. It could end up less about strategy, and more a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Everyone would have abilities, and yes, there would be an equal number of guards, also role-blockers and maybe bus drivers.

I could also easily up the numbers to, say, 25. More than that would harder for a mini (with my specific theme in mind)

Also, its a mini, is a short game really that bad?

Well, if you had 3 kills per faction in a game of 20 players and 2 factions... if all of those kills went through, the game could be over on night two or three, depending on how things went and how the factions were set up. That's a little bit too short for a mini. A lot of defensive abilities would definitely improve it, but on the flip-side it'd probably be incredibly frustrating for the players - and if you had too many guards or role blockers then you might wind up in the reverse situation, and have the game running for too long.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Well, too short ends up not being fun for some people. The problem is more in the randomness involved with that many vigs and guards. It could end up less about strategy, and more a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Fair enough.

1 kill per faction plus vote would fit.

With the same number, thinking about 25 now, what kind of number should i be looking for with regards to other roles, seers/guards, etc?

Hippie on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1 per faction.

Unless, of course, you have specific seers. like insane, or paranoid, or mechanics seers or action seers.

Then, the numbers could go up.

But if yo're talking plain old vanilla seers and guards, I'd say one per faction. Only way i'd up the guards to 2 per would be an even/odd night vote.

Also, be careful with 2 completely equal factions. Or the game will end up being like Transformers. The autobots voting for the decepticons and so forth. It can matter, but only if the day one kills took out somebody from the same side. But if you end up with like 5 from faction one and 5 from faction two alive, you're going to be looking at a stalemate. Which gets a bit boring. And could, theoretically, go on forever.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    would ending days at like 2 AM EST be unheard of?

Not really, but I wouldn't expect a ton of (easternly) people to stick around for vote close... especially those on GMT/BST.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just an FYI, I have a 2-part newbie mini (a la Orange Soda and Dac Vin's newbie mini) ready to go whenever the masses think it would be appropriate. You know...since I'm a big name player now :P

I was thinking of having it ready sometime during the middle/end of September. But with the new GV phalla, I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to run it sooner to capture as many new players as possible. Thoughts?

Also, my daughters ate the candy that no one claimed last game, so whoever wins this time better actually step up and accept the candy.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, people need to post links when they post sign ups, I missed Warphalla. Grudged Sigmund.

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just an FYI, I have a 2-part newbie mini (a la Orange Soda and Dac Vin's newbie mini) ready to go whenever the masses think it would be appropriate. You know...since I'm a big name player now :P

I was thinking of having it ready sometime during the middle/end of September. But with the new GV phalla, I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to run it sooner to capture as many new players as possible. Thoughts?

Also, my daughters ate the candy that no one claimed last game, so whoever wins this time better actually step up and accept the candy.

I think that phallas in other threads are great, if you keep with the theme of the thread. The X-men phalla in the GV thread was cool as newbies joined in and Ive seen 4 or 5 of them that played in it now are in the asylum game and Warhammer. However, you have to deal with alot of newbies kinda like me that fuck up alot and ruined the flow of your game. Just saying...

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yea, but most newbies read rules posts and such, so that shouldn't be a problem.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yea, but most newbies read rules posts and such, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    No they don't. They don't even read their own rules when they're hosting.

A newbie phalla would probably be both welcomed and needed. Get something for the folks wandering in to really get used to basic phalla mechanics, as opposed to joining a much more complicated (and faction) game like Deus Ex, where I saw some unfamiliar handles.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The end of Unknown Armies is still a few days out, but it'd be a good idea to line up the next host for when it finishes. It doesn't seem like anyone near the top of the list is ready, so if anybody is ready, volunteer to run next, why don't you? The downside, of course, is that PAX is coming next week (so exciting!) so there will be a number of people who will not be able to play. I fully expect that after PAX (and the next game) that there will be more people ready to run games.

Oh! Since I'm talking about PAX, if you're planning on going, go ahead and check the PhallAX board... we'll try to organize some sort of meetup/hangout, maybe?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay, well I think I should probably wait until the new main is up before starting the newbie mini (both out of consideration for the host, and also because we could potentially funnel new players from the main into the newbie mini - and because there are a handful of people who have expressed interest in running a mini already).

My preference is to host it here in CF because I have sort of a free form original narrative as the basis, but I will consult with the powers that be in D&D and GV to see if they would let me spread the word to their forums as well. If the hosting timetable doesn't work out, I'd be willing to run it in either D&D or GV and just tweak the theme a bit to fit in better.

My idea is effectively two minis run back-to-back. You sign up for one you're automatically in the second. I have it balanced for 24 players right now but can scale it back to 20 or up to 30 to fit newbie demand.

Part one will be completely vanilla.

Part two could go several ways: (1) an advanced mechanics mini; (2) an introductory faction mini; or (3) a combo of the two with advanced mechanics and factions (I'm hesitant on this because I don't want it to be so batshit crazy that the new players don't actually learn anything).

Feedback is most welcome. What do you think would be most helpful to new players?

Edit: To clarify, if it ends up in D&D I will remove some of the more overt role-playing aspects I've included to encourage participation, and if it goes in GV I will rework the theme to accommodate a more comic-oriented audience.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The danger of the faction mini is that vanilla factions tend to be need *something* to keep the game interesting and/or just balance wise. Pretty much if you have factions, you probably need some form of advanced mechanics, so there's bleedover already.

I'd say go with advanced mechanics, try to include ones that weren't in OS's game, but that's just me.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, well I think I should probably wait until the new main is up before starting the newbie mini (both out of consideration for the host, and also because we could potentially funnel new players from the main into the newbie mini - and because there are a handful of people who have expressed interest in running a mini already).

My preference is to host it here in CF because I have sort of a free form original narrative as the basis, but I will consult with the powers that be in D&D and GV to see if they would let me spread the word to their forums as well. If the hosting timetable doesn't work out, I'd be willing to run it in either D&D or GV and just tweak the theme a bit to fit in better.

My idea is effectively two minis run back-to-back. You sign up for one you're automatically in the second. I have it balanced for 24 players right now but can scale it back to 20 or up to 30 to fit newbie demand.

Part one will be completely vanilla.

Part two could go several ways: (1) an advanced mechanics mini; (2) an introductory faction mini; or (3) a combo of the two with advanced mechanics and factions (I'm hesitant on this because I don't want it to be so batshit crazy that the new players don't actually learn anything).

Feedback is most welcome. What do you think would be most helpful to new players?

Edit: To clarify, if it ends up in D&D I will remove some of the more overt role-playing aspects I've included to encourage participation, and if it goes in GV I will rework the theme to accommodate a more comic-oriented audience.

man, I have totally got to sign up for this. I'm such a n00b I have gap-teeth and a friend named Beaver!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Regarding the newbie mini, I would like to solicit input from vets, much the same way that OS and Dac Vin did. I would however, like mine to be a bit more structured, so what I'm looking for are some volunteers who would be willing to pick a discrete topic about phallas and send me a PM or email with advice that I can include in the OP and alongside narrations.

For instance, I would like to start the OP with a description of the basic roles (Guard, Vig, Seer, Mafia, Villager) and include advice from one or more vets about techniques that work (i.e., vig called shot) and ones that don't (seer outing himself on Day 1) and why, anecdotes from past games (with links if possible), and stuff like that.

My hope is that by organizing it ahead of time and posting it in a controlled manner I'll be able to avoid some of the possible contamination that comes from vets knee-jerk posting in response to a new player's tactic.

If I get enough vets willing to help out I'm considering giving each new player a veteran chaperon whom they will be able to ask for advice one time (sort of a phalla-phone-a-phriend). I'd set this up on a partitioned pro-board where I can monitor the interaction.

Good ideas? Bad ideas?

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    seer outing himself on Day 1
    herself, thanks

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It CAN work if you aren't terrible about it, or if there are no Thralls.

BURNAGE!

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are a lot of issues that seem to be delaying the time that I can host my next mini (which I do have all written up, mind you).

Mid October? Conservative estimate.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Regarding the newbie mini, I would like to solicit input from vets, much the same way that OS and Dac Vin did. I would however, like mine to be a bit more structured, so what I'm looking for are some volunteers who would be willing to pick a discrete topic about phallas and send me a PM or email with advice that I can include in the OP and alongside narrations.

For instance, I would like to start the OP with a description of the basic roles (Guard, Vig, Seer, Mafia, Villager) and include advice from one or more vets about techniques that work (i.e., vig called shot) and ones that don't (seer outing himself on Day 1) and why, anecdotes from past games (with links if possible), and stuff like that.

My hope is that by organizing it ahead of time and posting it in a controlled manner I'll be able to avoid some of the possible contamination that comes from vets knee-jerk posting in response to a new player's tactic.

If I get enough vets willing to help out I'm considering giving each new player a veteran chaperon whom they will be able to ask for advice one time (sort of a phalla-phone-a-phriend). I'd set this up on a partitioned pro-board where I can monitor the interaction.

Good ideas? Bad ideas?
    My advice would be to heavily leverage and link to the PhallaWiki. It's what it's there for. If certain entries are lacking, then kicking the appropriate people in the ass (ie, get B:L to upgrade the Guard article, don't have kime upgrade the Vig article, etc).

As for advice: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/search.php?searchid=16730&pp=35&page=3
    ololololol

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright guys, prepare to have your fucking minds blown

In the next few months, I'm going to run a mini based on Jenga.

I'll be setting the tower up in my room. Each night, in addition to the kill vote, there'll be a remove block vote.

The mafia is out to destroy the tower, the village wants to protect it while killing the mafia. Also featuring a variety of special roles related to the tower.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gonna laugh when you trip and knock over the Jenga tower night 3

MAFIA VICTORY

(That's actually a really interesting idea, kudos!)

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
This discussion has been closed.