As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

bobs game guy killed himself

super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
or attempted to, I'm not sure
www.bobsgame.com

looks like something will be posted tomorrow, until then discuss

super... on

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    'RAIDED BY THE POLICE WHILE FAKING HIS OWN DEATH ON WEBCAM'

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    super... wrote: »
    or attempted to, I'm not sure
    www.bobsgame.com

looks like something will be posted tomorrow, until then discuss

it's viral marketing for his shitty game

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He admitted that this was a "joke" already.

This Bob guy is such a moron.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    speaking on what I think of the game he showed people: it seemed really interesting. It looked like perhaps it was a game full of minutia. tiny little details that in all honesty might not have even affected anything. It seemed like it might have been a game that was to be for its own good and purpose, but it also looked to have charm and could very well have been great. I was actually one of the very few people who took interest in it.

speaking on what I think of his death, should it turn out to be true: that fucking sucks. suicide should never be a consideration. you only get 1 life. I won't even pretend I know anything about it or if he had any horrible mental conditions, but it's always a sad day when someone takes their own life.

edit: he admitted it's a joke? ok, he's a dick. super douchebag thing to do. I'm glad he's amongst the living, but this single handedly made me lost interest in his game.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If he really got raided for this, I would say this is a step in the right direction toward this turning into a runner for internet event of the year.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5128206/%5Bupdated%5D-bobs-protest--and-bobs-game--is-over
    Bob Pelloni's 100-day protest over Nintendo's refusal to give sell him its SDK is ending short of its goal. Update: Bob's site now says: "SORRY, EVERYONE! IM ALIVE!!! ITS JUST A JOKE!!! SORRY EVERYONE!!"

While the "joke" might mean he has no intention of harming himself, Bob's still extraordinarily discouraged at how this all turned out. He had put about 15,000 hours into "Bob's Game," loosely described as an RPG for the DS. He set up a business and followed Nintendo's rules for purchasing one, even applying for a developer's license, but they wouldn't approve the application and sell the kit. Without an SDK, his project can't move forward to completion.

So he started a 100-day "tensai sit-down protest" which he would spend developing his game in a room locked and barricaded from the outside. He set up a webcam, from which that image is taken, to film it. He had hoped to gin up enough publicity portraying Nintendo as a loutish corporate heavy, badly treating an indie developer, ultimately forcing them to hand over an SDK to end the bad publicity.

As you can see from the trashed state of his development studio, it didn't work. He called things off around Day 30, with a long, defeated message (below, in its entirety). Some guy over on 4chan's /v/ board said he got a phone number off of Bob's WHOIS info and got in touch with his sister, asking her to call his friends, send someone over, check on him, as there has been no motion on the webcam for a couple hours. Seriously, I'm wondering if a deputy shouldn't be sent over to check on Bob, because the above picture doesn't look too good.

Here's the give-up post. Again, this is on his site, so unless some troll got in and hacked it, I'd say this is on the level. And it's pretty extreme.

bob wrote:
    It was foolish of me to think Nintendo would hear my pleas. They're just another heartless corporation, only interested in the biggest profits. The core gamers don't matter anymore. It's not about the games or the fans, it's about spreading out and getting casual gamers to buy Wii Fit. The golden days of video games are long gone. A game like mine has no place on the shelf along with games like "Crossword Puzzles" and "Sudoku."

Nintendo sells all these games about "doing your best" and "being the hero," telling kids "you can do it if you try," but in the end that's just a story, a marketing lie that sounds good. That's business. That's the real world. In reality, if Link approached the castle gate, a guard would just throw him out. It doesn't matter how much courage he has. It doesn't matter how talented he is with his sword, or how pure hearted he might be. He's wearing a dirty tunic and he has no credentials. "Get out of here, you stupid kid." The evil kingdom of Ganon (Or should I say "Gantendo") spreads across the land, Zelda dies, and the credits scroll. Game over. That's the real Nintendo, I guess.

It was foolish of me to think Nintendo would hear my pleas. They're just another heartless corporation, only interested in the biggest profits. The core gamers don't matter anymore. It's not about the games or the fans, it's about spreading out and getting casual gamers to buy Wii Fit. The golden days of video games are long gone. A game like mine has no place on the shelf along with games like "Crossword Puzzles" and "Sudoku."

Nintendo sells all these games about "doing your best" and "being the hero," telling kids "you can do it if you try," but in the end that's just a story, a marketing lie that sounds good. That's business. That's the real world. In reality, if Link approached the castle gate, a guard would just throw him out. It doesn't matter how much courage he has. It doesn't matter how talented he is with his sword, or how pure hearted he might be. He's wearing a dirty tunic and he has no credentials. "Get out of here, you stupid kid." The evil kingdom of Ganon (Or should I say "Gantendo") spreads across the land, Zelda dies, and the credits scroll. Game over. That's the real Nintendo, I guess.

I've had enough. I'm ending the protest. I give up on getting the SDK. I really tried my best. Show's over. It's just not going to work. Sorry, everyone. I just can't stay in here. My head won't stop pounding. I feel like I'm losing my mind. It's like I'm splitting in half. I keep seeing these posts that I apparently wrote, but I can't remember writing them. I'm afraid I'm becoming someone else entirely.

Nobody even takes me seriously anymore- how is Nintendo supposed to? Everyone thinks it's some kind of viral ad. It's obviously not. I'm one guy that can't get a break. Don't you think that maybe I might get a little angry being locked in here for a month with no response? So maybe I have to joke around a little to cheer myself up. Big deal. I'll stay locked in for the rest of today to make an even 30 days, and then the protest is over. I know I lost. I've been completely disgraced and humiliated. I've been stepped on, pushed around, and trampled from all sides. It's like trying to fight a machine with words, with an army mocking you the whole time.

It's OK, Nintendo. I'm trying not to blame you, I really am. It's just.. man, I was stupid to believe that stuff.
    "Be a hero! You can do it!" Yeah, right. "Throw away five years of your life." I guess that doesn't sell as well, huh?

My head hurts, so I'm ending this post. Sorry, everybody. Whatever. Why does this HURT so much?

This guy really annoys the hell out of me.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah but he didn't. He's just a cock.

Lly on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, maybe he'll do it for real next time. Fucking idiot.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Needs to release it as a .nds before becoming an hero.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    harvest wrote: »

I can see it now, last post to the world all "I leave to the world my legacy", everyone playing it due to the publicity, turns out to be the single greatest game ever made.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

He was such an hero. :^:

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, this guy is completely insane.

Zek on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

He was such an hero. :^:

Yo dogs I heard you like 4chan memes so I put knives in your hands so you could kill yourselves.

I'm curious as to how good the game is. I guess that means his retarded publicity stunts worked.

Also, If he did kill himself, then his game would automatically be art, right?

Einhander on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crazy bastard. I mean, really, it sucks for him, but this is not how reasonable people deal with rejection.

Lemming on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's worse than an attention whore?

An attention whore that fakes his own suicide.

The game looks intriguing, but he really needs to get his head from up his ass. It seems to be lodged in there pretty good.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a shame it's only a joke. This guy is a total douche. He got ripped apart over at SA after site whoring there.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So instead of grabbing a publisher to do all the dirty work, he locks himself in his room with a bag of cheese curls hoping Nintendo will take pity on him, all so he can claim that the game was 100% developed, published, and shipped by him?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a shame it's only a joke. This guy is a total douche. He got ripped apart over at SA after site whoring there.

It's a shame he didn't kill himself? That's seriously what you're saying?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    posted on 1/6/09:

Bob posted:
    Nintendo, you cannot continue ignoring me.

There is nobody like me. I have created the entire game, start to finish.
    I am far better than Miyamoto, Itoi, Kojima, Carmack, and Wright COMBINED.
    NONE of these "designers" could create the entire thing if their lives depended on it!
    They rely on the assistance of others- and take all the credit. They don't even deserve their titles! I have bested them all by far.

"bob's game" is a game by ONE PERSON, and it's one of the GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE- if not THE BEST.
    I stand alone on a mountain no other has even dared to climb. I have swam across the ocean only cruise ships could cross.
    I have walked through the desert of no return. I have stepped in the footprints of none, a path never taken.
    I have MADE HISTORY, and history cannot be undone. It's too late, Nintendo.

No man has ever accomplished what I have accomplished at 25 years old- it's no wonder you fear accepting this truth!
    My work has humiliated your teams of engineers. One young man- singlehandedly- has made their lifetime of work seem like child's play.
    How can they possibly compete with such overwhelming skill? It's not even fair, is it? That's too bad, Nintendo. I'm real, and I'm here.
    You can't ignore me forever. I AM RIGHT, AND IT WILL WORK.

I am the GREATEST GAME DEVELOPER THAT EVER LIVED.
    I am a GENIUS, and I will be around for the next 40 years- eating away at your company until it exists no longer.
    I will find way after way to slowly destroy your bottom line, and your business will fail.
    The name NINTENDO will be forgotten, a discarded husk like so many others.
    "bob's game" will live on FOREVER.

THOSE WHO DOUBT ME- YOU WILL BE PROVEN WRONG.
    IN TIME THE TRUTH WILL PREVAIL.
    PREPARE TO EAT YOUR WORDS.

YES, I AM COMPLETELY SERIOUS!

WHO'S TAKING NAMES NOW, REGGIE?!

and the next day he writes..
    Oh man.. did I really write that?!
    That's not like me! I can't even remember.
    My head hurts...
    73 more days. I can do it. I'm fine. I'll be fine.
    I need that SDK! Please, Nintendo! I'm begging you!

slash000 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This guy is like the platonic ideal of the Creepy Nintendo Fanboy.

Someone get him a Tingle costume STAT.

august on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit he's insane.

Lly on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The guy is an idiot, but anyone saying too bad he didn't actually kill himself is twice the idiot Bob is.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    posted on 1/6/09:

Bob posted:
    Nintendo, you cannot continue ignoring me.

There is nobody like me. I have created the entire game, start to finish.
    I am far better than Miyamoto, Itoi, Kojima, Carmack, and Wright COMBINED.
    NONE of these "designers" could create the entire thing if their lives depended on it!
    They rely on the assistance of others- and take all the credit. They don't even deserve their titles! I have bested them all by far.

"bob's game" is a game by ONE PERSON, and it's one of the GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE- if not THE BEST.
    I stand alone on a mountain no other has even dared to climb. I have swam across the ocean only cruise ships could cross.
    I have walked through the desert of no return. I have stepped in the footprints of none, a path never taken.
    I have MADE HISTORY, and history cannot be undone. It's too late, Nintendo.

No man has ever accomplished what I have accomplished at 25 years old- it's no wonder you fear accepting this truth!
    My work has humiliated your teams of engineers. One young man- singlehandedly- has made their lifetime of work seem like child's play.
    How can they possibly compete with such overwhelming skill? It's not even fair, is it? That's too bad, Nintendo. I'm real, and I'm here.
    You can't ignore me forever. I AM RIGHT, AND IT WILL WORK.

I am the GREATEST GAME DEVELOPER THAT EVER LIVED.
    I am a GENIUS, and I will be around for the next 40 years- eating away at your company until it exists no longer.
    I will find way after way to slowly destroy your bottom line, and your business will fail.
    The name NINTENDO will be forgotten, a discarded husk like so many others.
    "bob's game" will live on FOREVER.

THOSE WHO DOUBT ME- YOU WILL BE PROVEN WRONG.
    IN TIME THE TRUTH WILL PREVAIL.
    PREPARE TO EAT YOUR WORDS.

YES, I AM COMPLETELY SERIOUS!

WHO'S TAKING NAMES NOW, REGGIE?!

and the next day he writes..
    Oh man.. did I really write that?!
    That's not like me! I can't even remember.
    My head hurts...
    73 more days. I can do it. I'm fine. I'll be fine.
    I need that SDK! Please, Nintendo! I'm begging you!

Straight up, John Carmack had 4 games out before he got picked up by a developer, 2 of which he release through tiny publishers, the next two through a larger publisher.
    1990 	Dark Designs: Grelminar's Staff 	John Carmack 	Softdisk 	developer
    1990 	Tennis 	                                        John Carmack 	Softdisk 	developer
    1990 	Wraith: The Devil's Demise 	        John Carmack 	Nite Owl Productions 	developer
    1989 	Shadowforge 	                                John Carmack 	Nite Owl Productions 	developer

JamesDM on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He's starting to remind me of Timecube man.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mental illnesses are fun.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All he wants is a

nintendo_seal_of_quality.jpg

august on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    august wrote: »
    This guy is like the platonic ideal of the Creepy Nintendo Fanboy.

Someone get him a Tingle costume STAT.

Taking pride in your work < Having your head up your ass < Huffing your own farts < Possibly this guy.

Mental Illness numberline?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh for fucks sake.

I'm sick of hearing how this guy is bitching about how a specific company won't give him a SDK. YOu know what, Bob? Talk to fuckin' valve and get your game on steam. That or realy off yourself cuz your not doing much to make me think other wise

Christ.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So since he's given up now, is he going to do the smart thing and release it on PC or as homebrew?

Khavall on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jeez, just release it on the internet. Why is he so dead set on nintendo publishing it?

Food on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't even know who Valve is.

august on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This reminds me of every single person who's ever yelled "IF I KILL MYSELF IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This guy must be the most arrogant person in the world. and the craziest.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know what he hopes to accomplish. If Nintendo was avoiding him before, they're going to stay the hell away now.

Faking your own death and throwing temper tantrums is really not the way to proper business.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    tellahsagetellahsage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wait....he's a genius...but the best name he can come up with for his game is "Bob's Game"? Wow...

tellahsage on
    Will Game for Food
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Katchem_Ash soulmate confirmed

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    tellahsage wrote: »
    wait....he's a genius...but the best name he can come up with for his game is "Bob's Game"? Wow...

Well fuck dude, if you're a genius then how could the title get any better than your own name?

august on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    The guy is an idiot, but anyone saying too bad he didn't actually kill himself is twice the idiot Bob is.

Pretty much. Though I guess this irony is going to go over their heads.

Leitner on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tellahsage wrote: »

Bob's game is the right title for this.

Because it's just him masturbating all over himself to a picture of himself, based on everything he's released.

Khavall on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With this and the Zelda movie script in SE, it's quite scary to see what an insane Nintendo fanboy is willing to do..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.