As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons and Dragons Online: Then and Now?

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
One of the less popular and less acclaimed MMORPGs out there on the market actually had some decent potential but needed polish while I was playing it during both Alpha and Beta testing. I actually liked Alpha testing better because it was more raw, and seemed a lot more like D&D but as the beta rolled around, Turbine decided "Lets put runes everywhere, and recolor the same texture and armor and stretch it out to be a kabillion items! Also, we need to have more than 3 unique quests so lets just add some random dialogue, attach the dungeon peices together like legos and add in the same monster trios for every dungeon, lots of kobolds, a bugbear, and a few hobgoblins -aaaand in about 2 weeks, we can sell it and make billions!" Well, Now they have introduced three 'modules' or really very teensy expansion packs and while I did play the Alpha and Beta, my characters were all wiped either by bug, transition to Beta or by the release of the game before they got to level 10 and the actual quests began to feel like a grind.

What happened before was DDO became redundant, when you rerolled another character, you still played thru the same quests which sucked a whole damn lot. The actual grouping also began to suck since there wasnt any solo quests to take at your own pace, nor was there many pickup groups doing any longer/harder to find quests. Instead, they just did the quests that dont require a lot of movement, you know, the quests that line the city inbetween merchants and taverns. This sucked as you continually got less and less exp for the more popular quests and you really couldnt help it because with the popular quests, everyone knew what to do and the other ones in different areas wer often either too lengthy for the exp (1 hour for 300exp at level 5!?) or were too hard. I do realise this was a beta but I do think that it still hasnt been tweaked. Anyways, with the game getting more patches and such, I have been very curious actually to how it has been coming along as I did enjoy the game very much. I am just curious as to how it is before I decide to go ahead, buy the $50 game and pay $15 a month... So how is it guys?

Since launch Turbine has added is as follows: (taken from website)
* With the new PvP combat, battle other players in tavern brawls, compete to Capture the Flag or fight team vs. team in Death Matches.
* Learn amazing new spells, enhancements and feats with the level cap increase to Level 12 (Rank 60).
* A new desert adventure with a massive landscape and 12 new high level dungeons.
* Visit the Auction House to Buy and Sell the magical treasures of Xen'drik with other players.

+ They also added more all around quests, a Dragon (olol), and a ton of new monsters.

Here's also the trailer for the new module and I must say, Im pretty Wow-ed but I don't feel quite right to drop in more money as I don't buy a lot of games, nor can I... What do you guys think?

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=3366

TLDR: The game used to be badass and hardcore, but after many patches it began to feel watered down to me, like WoW, and now is like this. Is it a :^: or a :v:

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is it a short but competent MMO that will keep you enthralled for a month or so?

Yes.

Is it worth playing for over a month, or does it resemble Dungeons and Dragons in any way, shape, or form beyond having a spell called Magic Missile?

No.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    From what I played of this, it seems similar to guild wars (with instances at least), but with a monthly fee

And less fun

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Did they ever add Druids or Monks? I know they put in Drow to get the "lol Drizz't" crowd, but it seems weird not to include base classes.

I played it for a month, but the complete lack of variety and how claustrophobic the game felt just completley turned me off. I don't know why they bothered to set it in Eberron, it might as well be in Forgotten Realms.

Invisible on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I still have a never opened or played copy of this game. Someday before they shut the servers down I should open it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mr_Snuffle wrote:
    From what I played of this, it seems similar to guild wars (with instances at least), but with a monthly fee

And less fun

I've played both, its leagues better than GW, but not worth paying monthly for. DDO was actually not bad, and had it not required a fee, which payed for a game with less content than most single player games, I would have played it for longer than my free trial. Character creation was fun, as was playing a greatsword wielding sorceror.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Did they ever add Druids or Monks?

Nope.

I am amazed that Turbine took a license like Dungeons and Dragons, remove the entire ruleset, retrofit it to their older MMO engine, and all around fucked up the game, despite having more source material to pull from than anything, ever.

I am so disappointed. Disappointed and ashamed.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It should be noted that if you want a multiplayer D&D experience, NWN 2 is out, and there's a thread on the first page here. While there isn't any yet that I know of, there should be plenty of player created content and expansions to look forward to, as well as actually using the D&D rules.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It should be noted that if you want a multiplayer D&D experience, NWN 2 is out, and there's a thread on the first page here. While there isn't any yet that I know of, there should be plenty of player created content and expansions to look forward to, as well as actually using the D&D rules.

I am really enjoying my small taste of NWN2 but I have yet to really get too far into theg ame and into the toolset, but I am eager to try it out. Unfortunately, I do like the positives of an online aspect, but without the gernal online hassles, like waiting for the idiot cleric to heal you instead of buff himself, or standaring around looking for a pickup group, or arguing which dungeon to do... :?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WoW isn't watered down, asshole. It's accessible, sure, and it doesn't carry with it that pretentious, elitist "hardcore" mentality, but that doesn't make it "watered down".

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    and it doesn't carry with it that pretentious, elitist "hardcore" mentality

:lol:

Yes, yes it does. I can tell you that from first hand experience. I've been in those guilds.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:

Yes, yes it does. I can tell you that from first hand experience. I've been in those guilds.

Well, the game concept and execution don't, anyway. I can't account for the community.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I played a bit of the free trial in the past few days and found it fun enough. The quests have just enough fluff to not feel repetitive and the actual dungeons are fairly interesting - you have to swim from time to time and there was one place you could only get to by jumping on the beams near the ceiling.

I was only soloing 'till now but I didn't have to repeat any quest to advance. I guess it would be best played with a group you already know - so that you all progress through the quests together.... unless later you have to repeat quests to progress?

edit: the only MMOs I tried were Anarchy Online and a free trial of Dark Ages of Camelot though

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:

olol since it happened to you it must happen to everyone m i rite?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OOOOH, SNAP!

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:

..... you have played WoW, have you not?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

Well, the game concept and execution don't, anyway. I can't account for the community.
    I'd consider what's basically the same game we've been playing since EQ1 but on easy mode pretty damned watered down.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:

i think its funny that since WoW, every MMO discussion ever ends up in a WoW discussion.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    corin7 wrote:
    I still have a never opened or played copy of this game. Someday before they shut the servers down I should open it.

Hah. Same.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

I'd consider what's basically the same game we've been playing since EQ1 but on easy mode pretty damned watered down.
    It has layers upon layers of polish that weren't present on any mmo before or since, including EQ. Not to mention that they added a bevy of awesome features and streamlined the experience to make it a lot more fun.

To level up in EQ, you basically found a place to camp and stayed there for hours. In WoW, you do quests that, while not always interesting, are a hell of a lot better than killing the same orc over and over again for hours on end.

And in EQ, you might gain a level once a week. In WoW, you can actually progress at a reasonable rate without dedicating your life to the game.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    lazerbeard wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

i think its funny that since WoW, every MMO discussion ever ends up in a WoW discussion.

I think its funny that people consider WoW a 'trditional' MMO for which every other MMO, fantasy themed or not, should be based upon. Oh wait, I don't find it funny, I find it sad. Sad in a sort of miserable failure sort of way... Anyways, thanks for your input so far guys.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

It has layers upon layers of polish that weren't present on any mmo before or since, including EQ. Not to mention that they added a bevy of awesome features and streamlined the experience to make it a lot more fun.

To level up in EQ, you basically found a place to camp and stayed there for hours. In WoW, you do quests that, while not always interesting, are a hell of a lot better than killing the same orc over and over again for hours on end.

And in EQ, you might gain a level once a week. In WoW, you can actually progress at a reasonable rate without dedicating your life to the game.
    I could never really see what the big deal was about these quests.

You're still camping mobs, just specific mobs.

As for the latter, hence why I said easy mode. While I'm not a fan of the whole "GRIND TO LEVEL LOL!" mechanic, they've pretty much made character advancement completely irrelevant.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

As for the latter, hence why I said easy mode. While I'm not a fan of the whole "GRIND TO LEVEL LOL!" mechanic, they've pretty much made character advancement completely irrelevant.

Speaking from a Dark Age of Camelot Perspective, Camping is pretty inefficient in DAoC and usually a last resort for exp, hence the name. But when more people are on and your in an active guild, you group up and take on much, much harder foes which while isnt questing, still is a challenge and is much more fun than running around, sweeping thru an instance, and then running back. Especially more so if the instance is mindblowingly easy...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Basing a genre around grinding, something thats never been a part of roleplaying games outside of Japan, is a horrid thing anyway. I would hardly say something that requires weeks or even months to do is "irrelevant".

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wouldn't say WoW made character advancement completely irrelevant, just more accessable and fun for people that aren't lolhardcore.

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:
    Mikesta wrote:

There are a lot of quests wherein you protect someone while they walk somewhere and do something, or you get to run around collecting clues to gradually unravel some mystery. They aren't all just "kill ten orc leppers" or "collect eight venom sacks".
    And making character advancement accessible is not the same as making it irrelevant. Every two levels you get new abilities, many of which are unique and fun to use. And every ten levels you get one of those uber, gameplay altering abilities that really distinguish the classes from one another.

And character advancement is crucial to the WoW experience, meaning that it is not irrelevant by definition.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Basing a genre around grinding, something thats never been a part of roleplaying games outside of Japan, is a horrid thing anyway. I would hardly say something that requires weeks or even months to do is "irrelevant".

I'd say quest is one of the many things WoW did right. It actually added story to the grind, you're not doing this to gain another level, you're doing this to save Ogrimmar or whatever. Now, if D&D:O had done this, but with say multiple ways to solve the quests (use your diplomacy/bluff/intimidate to subdue the mob or just beat the shit out of them), it would have been leaps and bounds better than it was.

Gaining levels should never feel like a chore and there's only been two MMORPGs that have accomplished that for me: WoW and UO.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Well, perhaps irrelevant wasn't the right word, "meaningless" might suit it better.

Especially in consideration of their "endgame" focus, which is a whole other bag completely.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Well, the problem is pleasing the masses vs. pleasing a nitch. WoW is popular because anyone, (except Leeroy) can do fine in any dungeon so long as it is in their level range. Thing is, its often too easy, but other games incororate long exp grinds to get the player to experiment more and to look for more locations as well as progress thru the game as it was meant to be. An example would be grinding for 20min, grouping for 40, crafting for 15, questing for 20, and then doing PvP for 2 hours. That way, you get exp, build crafting levels, and have fun with PvP. When I play games with retarded ass grinds, I actually do investigate more, I look for new monsters or try and sneak my way into more heavily gaurded areas where I know I probably wolnt get any exp or anything but just to try something different instead of seeing the same old same old.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    WHY wrote:

I'd say quest is one of the many things WoW did right. It actually added story to the grind, you're not doing this to gain another level, you're doing this to save Ogrimmar or whatever. Now, if D&D:O had done this, but with say multiple ways to solve the quests (use your diplomacy/bluff/intimidate to subdue the mob or just beat the shit out of them), it would have been leaps and bounds better than it was.

Gaining levels should never feel like a chore and there's only been two MMORPGs that have accomplished that for me: WoW and UO.
    BAM

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention the story element. If you actually read the dialogue when someone is giving you a quest to do, you'll find yourself engrossed in interesting and sometimes epic plots.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    There are a lot of quests wherein you protect someone while they walk somewhere and do something, or you get to run around collecting clues to gradually unravel some mystery. They aren't all just "kill ten orc leppers" or "collect eight venom sacks".
    And making character advancement accessible is not the same as making it irrelevant. Every two levels you get new abilities, many of which are unique and fun to use. And every ten levels you get one of those uber, gameplay altering abilities that really distinguish the classes from one another.

And character advancement is crucial to the WoW experience, meaning that it is not irrelevant by definition.

Yes, but not one wizard from another as other MMO's have it. And so what if some quests require you to gaurd someone or do something, it still doesnt make them 'fun' nor 'unrepetative.' When playing DDO, it all felt repetative, weather gaurding some tower, rescuing kobold slaves, or sneaking about and assassinating a hobgoblin lord.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:

Well, the problem is pleasing the masses vs. pleasing a nitch. WoW is popular because anyone, (except Leeroy) can do fine in any dungeon so long as it is in their level range. Thing is, its often too easy, but other games incororate long exp grinds to get the player to experiment more and to look for more locations as well as progress thru the game as it was meant to be. An example would be grinding for 20min, grouping for 40, crafting for 15, questing for 20, and then doing PvP for 2 hours. That way, you get exp, build crafting levels, and have fun with PvP. When I play games with retarded ass grinds, I actually do investigate more, I look for new monsters or try and sneak my way into more heavily gaurded areas where I know I probably wolnt get any exp or anything but just to try something different instead of seeing the same old same old.
    WoW is popular because it's actually fun to play. People tended to avoid this genre like the fucking plague before WoW because it was inaccessible and felt like you were taking on a second job.
    And before anyone says anything stupid, I played UO and EQ before WoW. Just pre-empting the inevitable "you're just not hardcore enough for my games lol" argument.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    WHY wrote:

WoW is popular because it's actually fun to play. People tended to avoid this genre like the fucking plague before WoW because it was inaccessible and felt like you were taking on a second job.
    And before anyone says anything stupid, I played UO and EQ before WoW. Just pre-empting the inevitable "you're just not hardcore enough for my games lol" argument.

I get what you mean, and I also agree. WoW is a very low maintanance job. :P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    This isn't a WoW thread, you fucking morons. Talk about DDO or go to the WoW forum.

Anyway, I played DDO in Beta as well as one of those 7 day free trial recently, and I don't feel much has changed. I think people who were less than satisfied with this game should try different classes, because I tried like 6 before I found the one I was happy with. Once I rolled a Cleric I started actually enjoying the game, though I don't have the time to devote to buying it...

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    Eh, I don't agree with that at all. WoW does feel like a job, once you actually get the hang of it and realise what the actual focus of the game is. Its the only MMO I've ever played, aside from the free trial for DDO, and I'll be avoiding the genre like the fucking plague in the future.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    WHY wrote:

BAM

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention the story element. If you actually read the dialogue when someone is giving you a quest to do, you'll find yourself engrossed in interesting and sometimes epic plots.
    It's not so much the chore part, it's that, at least in this subgenre, gaining a level just feels really unimportant. "Woo, a minor addition to my stats and HP! And maybe I'll get a new special ability or spell!"

Speaking on my own here, it just feels somewhat insulting to my intelligence. Like some little treat to keep me playing.

Meanwhile, in DDO, when one gains a level, (a FULL level, mind you, fuck that "rank" shit) you actually get to make some meaningful changes to your character.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if they ever fixed this, but DDO felt very "dead". It was just a big hub, like guild wars, that you formed groups in, then did fully instanced dungeons. It reinforced the "this isn't worth paying a monthly fee for" vibe you got while playing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if they ever fixed this, but DDO felt very "dead". It was just a big hub, like guild wars, that you formed groups in, then did fully instanced dungeons. It reinforced the "this isn't worth paying a monthly fee for" vibe you got while playing.
    Pretty much. I still say that core game itself was really damned good, but the way they handled (or rather, didn't) the MMO aspects was just sad.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    From my (admittedly limited) experience with DnDO I have to say that it felt very generic. I mean, if you look at it from a technical stand-point they basically took the idea of instancing to a physcotic level. What's worse is the fact that there's no randomization to the instancing, so once you beat something one time there's really no incentive to go back and do it again aside from farming for "phat loot" or cash. Of course, you could argue that many modern day main-stream MMO's do that, but still, there has to be something to do aside from running the same damn quest over and over again. It also doesn't help things that some of the more unique classes (Rogues/Thieves?) were pretty much rendered pointless once people knew the trap layout of the dungeons.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Pretty much. I still say that core game itself was really damned good, but the way they handled (or rather, didn't) the MMO aspects was just sad.

I would have to agree with you. The core game, to me anyway, was fun. If the game took place in an entire kingdom instead of one city, things might have been a lot better.

One thing they should add to dungeons is random trap/chest/ambush placement. One time I went through a very trap heavy dungeon without a rogue or any other means to find traps and my group only triggered one trap the whole time through. Reason being that most of the people in my group had done that dungeon multiple times and knew where all the traps were. This should never happen.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    From my (admittedly limited) experience with DnDO I have to say that it felt very generic. I mean, if you look at it from a technical stand-point they basically took the idea of instancing to a physcotic level. What's worse is the fact that there's no randomization to the instancing, so once you beat something one time there's really no incentive to go back and do it again aside from farming for "phat loot" or cash. Of course, you could argue that many modern day main-stream MMO's do that, but still, there has to be something to do aside from running the same damn quest over and over again. It also doesn't help things that some of the more unique classes (Rogues/Thieves?) were pretty much rendered pointless once people knew the trap layout of the dungeons.

I'm suprised they haven't fixed the static nature of dungeons yet. If they can't fix the ones already in the game, they could at least fix the new ones. Though they did randomize the loot in an absolutely retarded way. Sometimes the rewards would be crappy starter-level stuff and then the next time it would be an Ass-Kicking Sword of Newb Bane +3. Though, I heard they nerfed it so that all the quests gave crappy rewards and basically crippled anybody who hadn't already went through multiple times to get good equipment.

Invisible on