As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XII - Cult of Balthier sign ups

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rust wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »
    I'm reviving this thread to say "FUCK YOU BOMB KING!"

He's optional, you know. You can fight him later.

I know. I'm just trying to run and get the Zodiac Spear early for shits and giggles.

It's not that he was kicking my ass, it's that I couldn't quite kill him before he cast renew.

EDIT to add: beat him on the 4th try or so.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man..the bomb king is where i stopped playing like, a month after launch..i know you can just run by him, but thats like admitting defeat, i'll either beat him one day or never advance at all!

fuck you bomb king, fuck you

edit: it was a long time ago when i quit, but i seem to remember my party being repeatedly pretty much insta killed by him and his lackeys

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm thinking of picking this game up. I have not played it, or FFX, in fact the last FF game I played was on the SNES. FFIII (US). I played DQ8, but it moved way too slow for me. you guys recommend it? looks very fun, haven't had a nice RPG to sit down and play with in a while.

eric. on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, fuck Vaan. Gotta go and mess up a good cast.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I... never really had a problem with the Bomb King. I only had to retry once. Limit Breaks for the win.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

I know. I'm just trying to run and get the Zodiac Spear early for shits and giggles.

It's not that he was kicking my ass, it's that I couldn't quite kill him before he cast renew.

You'll never make it.

I have to wait another dozen level-ups after first accessing that dungeon to get the Spear, and even then it turned out to be some Indiana Jones-type stuff at the end.

Me dashing through tilted corridors with a hundred angry little men in gasmasks at heel.

Rust on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would kill for international to come over stateside. It has a job system, the ability to control guest party members, and if you hit L1 you run super fast. so awesome.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't see how anyone can dislike 12's characters. They aren't well developed enough to be worth liking or disliking.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eric. wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking this game up. I have not played it, or FFX, in fact the last FF game I played was on the SNES. FFIII (US). I played DQ8, but it moved way too slow for me. you guys recommend it? looks very fun, haven't had a nice RPG to sit down and play with in a while.
    It's good. Real good. It's pretty much one of the highlights of the PS2 and shows how mature the system is. Going back to play FFX is pretty trying. Buy it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I... never really had a problem with the Bomb King. I only had to retry once. Limit Breaks for the win.
    with me it was, hit him with a limit break, boom the second its over my entire party is insta killed, bring in the backups, boom insta killed..then i thought "ok..i'll just go do some hunts to level up a bit" i took the lowest level hunt available to me and the cave the target was located in was filled with monsters 15ish levels above anyone in my party..i just didn't have the heart to grind after that

this actually happens to me in quite a few RPGs, i dont grind at all because i hate it =p and i don't want to make the game easy, so it proceeds on a steady fairly hard difficulty level i enjoy until i hit a brickwall of a boss, at which point i just give up because i don't want to spend the required time grinding back up to be able to proceed

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The bomb king fight for me pretty much went like this:

1. Run in and hack and slash away the first 25% of his health.
    2. Bomb King: O shits! Must revive others!
    3. Start Quickening Chain
    4. Spam Triangle as chain ends, swap out for different character.
    5. Start another quickening chain
    6. Spam Triangle as chain ends, swap out for last character with a Quickening
    7. Bomb King: lol renew. Full Health.

>:(

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would kill for international to come over stateside. It has a job system, the ability to control guest party members, and if you hit L1 you run super fast. so awesome.
    Holy crap that sounds awesome. International like Canada? Because I would re-buy for that.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If you haven't played a Final Fantasy for a while, you might not notice how half-assed is. FFXII moves really slow as well, so if that's a determining factor I'd avoid it.
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can dislike 12's characters. They aren't well developed enough to be worth liking or disliking.

I dislike Basch because he could have been the most awesome character in any FF game, if not in any game whatsoever, but they decided to be completely lame with him.

jothki on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

If you haven't played a Final Fantasy for a while, you might not notice how half-assed is. FFXII moves really slow as well, so if that's a determining factor I'd avoid it.
    Huh? With the battles on the field and the ability to bypass anything, it's one of the quickest RPGs I've played.

And I recommend the game easily. I had a lot of fun with it. Wait a bit to see if Square announces International for anywhere but Japan, though.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, FFXII moved really quickly for me. You're aware you can adjust the speed right?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Completely awesome game. Obviously I have criticisms, but easily one of the highlights of the ps2 library. The Bombkingthing wasn't bad at all, beat it down...second it starts a renew you chain-Quickening it into the ground. Now, Zodiac (sp?), Ultima, Yiazmat...those were some hardass fights.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't played for a few weeks, but I'm up to finding the
    Slacker Moogles in that big forest for the gate.

I didn't even bother starting the quest.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't have any problems with the Bomb King and ran headlong into him assuming I had to defeat hin to move on (yeah...).

I think this was the best game in the series even if judged solely on its art design and battle system. My boyfriend wasn't so keen though.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You'll never make it.

I have to wait another dozen level-ups after first accessing that dungeon to get the Spear, and even then it turned out to be some Indiana Jones-type stuff at the end.

Me dashing through tilted corridors with a hundred angry little men in gasmasks at heel.

Zodiac Spear Get! (@ Level 34).

I had to look up a map so I knew exactly where I was running, and keep only 1 active party member out at a time to maximize survivability, but I made it.

Now I just have to grind a couple hundred LP to equip it...

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

You'll never make it.

Zodiac Spear Get! (@ Level 34).

I had to look up a map so I knew exactly where I was running, and keep only 1 active party member out at a time to maximize survivability, but I made it.

Now I just have to grind a couple hundred LP to equip it...

I have been proven wrong. Congratulations.

Now get the Deathbringer and lay waste to all in your path.

Rust on
  • Options
    crocodilemachinecrocodilemachine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but I just couldn't help but start making Star Wars comparisons as soon as the word "Empire" was uttered. They are almost identical....aside from Chewbacca... I *want* to compare him to Fran...but then again...I don't

crocodilemachine on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So guys uh... who should I teach the Gigas summon to, do you think?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You realize that you can land Silence on the Bomb King, right? And it prevents Renew?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but I just couldn't help but start making Star Wars comparisons as soon as the word "Empire" was uttered. They are almost identical....aside from Chewbacca... I *want* to compare him to Fran...but then again...I don't

I know what you mean. Game was excellent, but for gods sake how much of the plot do you want to steal?

malerik on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So guys uh... who should I teach the Gigas summon to, do you think?
    The single bar summons like Belias are good fits for primary spellcasters. They can summon them when their mp's low and syphon for a nice gain. I used this during the Hell Wyrm fight to pop out and give Vaan and Ashe MP without using up ethers.

edit: That's thinking in late-game terms, of course. Considering that no one in your party probably has a second mana bar yet, I'd say give it to someone you want to be a spellcaster, but not your main healer. Belias does pretty good damage in the early game, but you don't want to leave yourself without healing after the summon.

As a side note, isn't it a rip to
    raid the tomb of the fuckin' Dynast-King and not pick up a single Gil?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Syphon?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    heh, I forgot. Syphon is a rather useful spell that drains MP from the target to the caster. You can get it about a quarter to halfway through the game. Espers like Belias don't use MP for their attacks, so they're just summonable bags of mana for spellcasters. While Belias will be incredibly weak by the time you get Syphon, he'll also cost a lot less than you can get out of him.

But that's not important to you right now. I say, non-healer spellcaster. Could be useful to you later.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I need to work on getting a second Quickening for my characters before I can have them doing black magic all the time.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    You realize that you can land Silence on the Bomb King, right? And it prevents Renew?

Status effects? bah! The only status effect I applied was Zodiac Spear Exit Wound!

...I kid, I kid. The reverse-ring + Remedy was pretty damn handy, don't think I had the ring by the time I popped the Bomb King.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

I actually did land silence on the Bomb King. It seemed to prevent him from resummoning his minions, but he still cast renew.

Interestly enough, by casting Silence on him and preventing Fira madness, he seemed to tear through my guys a lot faster with normal physical attacks D:

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ran into something similar...
    There's a level 60 trophy spawn in the mines where you fight Gilgamesh for the last time.

He spams aoe elemental magic which hurts but is totally managable...then you get him to 10% hp and he stops casting to go psycho berzerk physical barrage which, even after taking Gilgamesh's second fight, was insanely hard. After 4 or 5 tries I just went screw this and chain Quickening-ed him to death. It was the only time in the game I absolutely needed to abuse Quickenings.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've just started playing International Zodiac version and it's lovely. Have any of you succumbed to the sweet sweet smell of Zodiac?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm considering picking up the International Zodiac edition, as it seems to fix a few issues I had with Final Fantasy XII (unfortunately, it doesn't "fix" Vaan, Penelo and the post-Archades game), but riddle-me-this, early adopter: All the screenshots I have seen show only Japanese screentext; is English screentext included as an option? I know the English voices are included, but that alone is not enough to make the game playable.

If English text is included, I'm trading my original copy of FFXII for the International version right away. If not, I'm trading my original copy of FFXII for a handkerchief with which I can dry my tears.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nah sorry - only English voices - no English text at all.

For me that makes a difference in the other direction - I was playing FFXII in Japanese, and I could understand it but not really enjoy it - this makes it much more enjoyable for me.

And of course, the jobs etc are nice.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you were wild about it you could find reference sheets to what all the Japanese text is in the menus, items, etc., but that would be a LOT of work. I just dicked around with the game for a while and was content, but still hopeful that they will localize it (they wont).

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you were wild about it you could find reference sheets to what all the Japanese text is in the menus, items, etc., but that would be a LOT of work. I just dicked around with the game for a while and was content, but still hopeful that they will localize it (they wont).

Once you have a few years gaming experience, you don't really need the text for menus or attacks. I play about 30 hours into the Japanese version and was totally fine. The only important thing is that you memorize the MP amounts for spells, or you'll be fucking around in the menu looking for the right one in battle.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    jayjay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the thing about the zodiac spear really annoys me.... :x
    i just read about it... and i already opend the first two "dont-open" chests... (i'm about 5 hours into the game (just got out of the palace)).. but i dont want to restart the game....
    or should i? is it really worth it?
    or is the game still enjoyable without that overpowered spear?
    what would you recommend?

jay on
    Wii: 0567-2414-4468-3479
    PM me and I'll add you!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jay wrote: »
    i just read about it... and i already opend the first two "dont-open" chests... (i'm about 5 hours into the game (just got out of the palace)).. but i dont want to restart the game....

You don't need it to enjoy the game. Proceed, sir.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jay wrote: »

It really isn't worth it. You can make the characters ridiculously overpowered as it is with out it.

xraydog on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried to get into playing this again recently, but barely passed my previous run before losing interest. When I first bought the game I got to wraithwalls tomb, but my characters were like level 12 or something. I had no interest in grinding a single player game for levels, this was mostly because I was playing WoW at the time.

So now a couple months after I stopped playing WoW, I picked it up again and started from the beginning. I actually grinded up to level 25 or 30 before proceeding to wraithwalls tomb and enjoyed every bit, but then some how or other I slowly lost interest again. I'm not entirely sure where I am now, but it's not too far after the tomb and probably just after it. Does it pick up after this section? I finished Halo 3, and probably will move to Gears after that... then FFXII or Prime 3..

nerve on