As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A 100-0 win isn't christ like?

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Well it's basically a no win situation, and we're missing information. Was he playing first stringers til the end of the game, or did he let everyone on the team play?

If he had asked to end the game early, you can bet that people would have seen it as an insult, too. "Oh, you just want to end it because you feel the special kids should just go home"

No, the bench was emptied. And they did call off the dogs, they only scored 12 points in the 4th quarter.

As someone who's been on the wrong end of some blowouts before (losing a basketball 72-12) - as long as you're on the floor, you compete. The idea that an opponent's going to start dogging out of pity is insulting to the game and the losing team, just as much as if the winning team were showboating.

It's basically the winning team saying "Hey, you losers aren't worth our full effort. We don't even have to try in order to beat you, so we won't."

They called off the dogs, as you say, after reaching the goal of scoring 100 points in a single game. I'd call that showboating, but whatever. It seems like there isn't a middle ground between continuing to demolish an already beaten opponent and giving up altogether.

Accounts I've read said they had 88 points after 3 quarters, but didn't reach 100 until 3 minutes were left. That means in the first 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, they only scored 12 points. Given the fact that they'd scored 88 points in the first 24 minutes, scoring 12 points in 5 minutes is calling off the dogs.

Not scoring at all in the last 3 minutes is just laying down. It's more insulting than the 88 points in the first 3 quarters.

Medopine wrote: »
    Or saying "hey this might be more fun for your side if the competition level was a bit less inequitable. maybe we won't run our full court press on every possession"

I'm sure it would be more fun if the competition was more even. However, that's the game that was scheduled. And if you like basketball, which I assume those girls do, getting blown out still beats not playing at all. A bad day on the golf course beats a good day at work, and all that.

And you know what definitely isn't fun? Standing around on defense doing nothing while the offense dribbles out the clock.

And this stuff happens all the time, at least in women's college basketball, because of how concentrated the talent gets onto a few teams.

UConn 107, Syracuse 53

Xavier 69, Rhode Island 29

Stanford 112, Washington 35

There's never all this national outrage after any of those games. The only reason this story exists is because it has the learning-disabled angle, which apparently means we all have to treat them with kid gloves because they're so inferior. Nevermind that athletes with learning disabilities have made it to the highest levels of sport. Dyslexia sure didn't seem to prevent Magic Johnson from schooling cats out on the court.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There are two things here: If the final score was 115-15, I wouldn't care. If the final score was 88-0 I wouldn't care. It was the fact that they made a separate goal of scoring 100 points. They weren't competing anymore, they were showing off.

The losing team didn't score a single time in basketball of all games. How often does a team never score in basketball? There was a huge disparity here.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's never all this national outrage after any of those games. The only reason this story exists is because it has the learning-disabled angle, which apparently means we all have to treat them with kid gloves because they're so inferior. Nevermind that athletes with learning disabilities have made it to the highest levels of sport. Dyslexia sure didn't seem to prevent Magic Johnson from schooling cats out on the court.

The national outrage may be because of the whole "disabled" angle, but really for me it's the 100-0 part that gets me. Exactly one hundred on one side, and absolutely zero on the other.

Total showboating.

Especially if it's true they left the first string in for like three quarters.

EDIT: Basically, what Nova_C said.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The full court press angle seems to be getting lost here, and I think it's possibly the most damning part of the story.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    With new evidence at hand, I elect to strike my previous posts and resubmit the coach as a cockdouche.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whats wrong with showboating? You step out onto a court, you take the chance you are going to get absolutely stomped on. Thats what competition is about. If you only wanted to play for 30 minutes, then you should have played a different game.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Whats wrong with showboating? You step out onto a court, you take the chance you are going to get absolutely stomped on.

Well, duh. But that doesn't mean the other team isn't being less than sportsmanlike in doing so. I don't think anybody is suggesting that the other team be thrown in jail or anything, just saying that either they, the coach, or both may have been dicks.

Because showboating makes you a dick.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Whats wrong with showboating? You step out onto a court, you take the chance you are going to get absolutely stomped on. Thats what competition is about. If you only wanted to play for 30 minutes, then you should have played a different game.

You don't do it to this degree in high school sports and if you do you are an ass. High school sports are not about winning only.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    you'd think christians would be on a level playing field with the developmentally disabled

Quote'd

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The full court press angle seems to be getting lost here, and I think it's possibly the most damning part of the story.

I don't even know what that means.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I don't even know what that means.
    The coach left his team in full-court press the entire game. When you're up by 80+ it's hard to come up with douchier things to do without breaking the rules.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You played defense against the other team over the entire court instead of just playing D in your end of the court.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So it's basically like the basketball equivalent of not just punching someone, but also grabbing their hand and making them hit themselves whilst simultaneously asking why they're hitting themselves?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So it's basically like the basketball equivalent of not just punching someone, but also grabbing their hand and making them hit themselves whilst simultaneously asking why they're hitting themselves?
    Only if you're making them hit themselves in the crotch.

Self-face-punching is the equivalent of box-and-1ing the least capable looking retard.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My alma mater Georgia Tech holds the record for the biggest blowout in college football, 222-0 against Cumberland college. I played soccer as a kid, and my team would frequently get blown out 10-0 or more by the first half, so they'd call the game then.

Sometimes you just get your ass stomped.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You played defense against the other team over the entire court instead of just playing D in your end of the court.

Thank you, that's what I was trying to ask.

That does sound kind of mean.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember the last team I played on in Little League. It was a group of late sign-ups and we were all put on the same team. There was varying degrees of talent, but the overall was not much better than a bunch of scrubs.

The two worst losses I can remember:

One was a game so bad, the opposing team was intentionally holding their batters from entering even the on-deck circle. But the rules are the rules and we still had to pitch to the empty batter's box (each pitch was called a strike) just to 'officially' end the game by the mercy rule.

The last game the team ever played the score was something like 26-3 before we even had a chance to bat in the bottom of the second (mercy rule called the games after three innings if the score deficit was greater than 10). This particular opposing coach didn't withhold their batters. I think our team collectively walked after the second inning was finished.

Both losses were terribly humiliating. The kind of thing that sticks with a person. But the worst one of the two was the one where the coach held back the batters. They didn't even need to be on the field and they'd have won the game. I guess it's cool to hold back out of 'mercy'...

My personal experience means pretty little. It didn't stop me from playing the game (by that time I was old enough to play for school teams) and I don't really have any emotions about it all these years later. But the difference is my team's humiliation wasn't national news.

As bad as it was these kids were blown out... As bad as it was the winners might have intentionally run up the score... What's going to be worse for these kids is that they're famous for sucking so bad the winning coach got fired for not being contrite enough about winning the game. This shit happens in high school sports. College sports. Pick-up games amongst the pals in the stockroom...

Amazingly enough competitive sports can bring out the worst in people. Even Christians. Even those who weren't even playing the game or even tangentially involved.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Thank you, that's what I was trying to ask.

That does sound kind of mean.

Yeah, it's basically an incredibly aggressive play style often employed when a team is behind and needs to score quickly (though not always).

Seems like the exact strategy that would be appropriate here, eh?

EDIT: Also, there has to be some middle ground between making kids throw at an empty batter's box and running a full court press with your first string after going up 50-0.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

The national outrage may be because of the whole "disabled" angle, but really for me it's the 100-0 part that gets me. Exactly one hundred on one side, and absolutely zero on the other.

Total showboating.

Especially if it's true they left the first string in for like three quarters.

Exactly. It's obvious they decided to go for the 100-0 win, exactly dead on.

Scores per quarter:
    1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    35 24 29 12

They scored MORE in the 3rd quarter, and then backed off in the last to keep it at exactly 100.

It's pure unsportsmanlike behavior and the coach should have been fired for it. It's a terrible example for kids competing in sports.

It should be obvious by the end of the first quarter it's gonna be a blowout. This is when you do things like play all the lines equally and "ok, you've got to pass it 5 times before you can shoot" or put your forwards on D and your D up front or whateever.

shryke on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    He tricked the fucking demons though! You think the demons WANTED to get their pig-possessing asses ran off the cliff? The whole point of the story is how badass Jesus is for totally fucking over this annoying multidemon.
    We already new Jesus was a badass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWuji6TADXM
    Eh. The beginning of that totally rips off Spartacus II.

Also, it's not nearly as cool as my idea for an anime Gospel of Mark with a demonhunter super-saiyan Jesus.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone posted the fired coach's full statement? It may enlighten some:
    In our own words: The Journey to a 100-0 victory
    By: Coach Micah Grimes

After counting down the seconds until the final buzzer, I lined up my girls to wish the opposing team well, and then headed into the locker room for our post game rituals. After the girls and I said our goodbyes, I headed home to reflect like I always do after every game. But this was no ordinary game. Little did I know that in the next eight days, Barry Horn would write an article for Dallas Morning News about our 100-0 win over Dallas Academy that would start a firestorm of articles, nationally broadcasted news stories, and hateful email about me and the 8 young ladies that make up the Dallas Covenant School girls basketball team. I’ve always taught my girls to value honesty, integrity, compassion for others and to stand up for those values despite the consequences. So it is for Andi, Savannah, Taylor, Lauren, Wren, Marquita, Blair, Tiffany and our assistant coach Kelly that I tell our story.

The Team. We are hardly the “elite basketball powerhouse” that we are described as in the National and local media. Up until 3 years ago, we rarely had a winning season. In fact, during my first year at Covenant four years ago, we experienced one of our worst seasons - a losing record of only 2 wins and 19 losses that sunk to an 82-6 low in a game that forever changed us and how we approached the game of basketball. Two years later we made the first Final Four appearance in the school’s history. Like Dallas Academy, Covenant is a small Christian school, which is why we are in the same district. We don’t have a home gym so we rent out facilities or gym space in the community so we can practice, and then watch game film at the home of one of the players. We’ve never had a full roster. Only about 30 high school girls attend Covenant and only 8 of those girls play basketball. During many of the games this year, we played with 6 girls, and sometimes only 5. When players fouled out, we’ve had to finish the game with 4. But we always finished the game.

The Players. Rarely does a coach find a player who will run the extra laps, do the extra push-ups, or shoot the extra baskets without complaining. I have 8 such players—2 freshmen, a sophomore who is new to the school and team, another sophomore who has been with us for two years, two Juniors who have been with us for 3 years, a Senior who is new to the team and school, and another Junior who is new to basketball and is learning how to play for the first time in her life. My girls believe in each other, motivate each other, and see each other as family. The respect and admiration I have for them and their parents are the main reason why I come back to Covenant each year.

The Game. The game started like any other high school basketball game across the nation. The teams warm-up, coaches talk, the ball is tipped, and then the play begins. We started the game off with a full-court press. After 3 minutes into play, we had already reached a 25-0 lead. Like any rational thinking coach would do, I immediately stopped the full-court press, dropped into a 2-3 zone defense, and started subbing in my 3 bench players. This strategy continued for the rest of the game and allowed the Dallas Academy players to get the ball up the court for a chance to score. The second half started with a score of 59-0. Seeing that we would win by too wide of a margin, running down the clock was the only logical course of action left. Contrary to the articles, there were only a total of four 3-point baskets made; three in the first quarter, and only one in the third quarter. I continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game. We played fair and honorably within the rules and in the presence of the parents, coaches, and athletic directors for both Covenant School and Dallas Academy.

The Apology. In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel "embarrassed" or "ashamed". We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy. We honor God, ourselves, and our families when we step on the court to compete. I do not wish to forfeit the game. What kind of example does it set for our children? Do we really want to punish Covenant School girls? Does forfeiting really help Dallas Academy girls? We experienced a blowout almost 4 years ago and it was painful, but it made us who we are today. I believe in the lessons that sports teach us. Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance. As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity.
    Sincerely,
    Micah Grimes

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This reminds me of the time my cousin's school played a basketball game against a school for the deaf...and lost.

Also everybody knows exorcisms of 'legion' should be done like this:

Duffel on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So his version of events is pretty much the exact opposite of every other version of events.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    So his version of events is pretty much the exact opposite of every other version of events.
    Yes. Yes it is.

So is it widespread media bias/misreporting or a trumped up plea of innocence from a guy who deserved to be fired?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well he was there compared to all the national news and stuff that get there information 2nd or 3rd hand. If he was trying to make himself look better then he wouldn't refused the apology.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is.

So is it widespread media bias/misreporting or a trumped up plea of innocence from a guy who deserved to be fired?

That, we can't judge, since the game wasn't filmed at all, sadly. Or recorded in any meaningful way (who scored how many points exactly, etc)

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hdenton wrote: »
    Well he was there compared to all the national news and stuff that get there information 2nd or 3rd hand.
    And it's his ass on the line in the court of public opinion.

I have a hard time taking him at his word without any sort of journalistic backup.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is.

I tried randomly googling and came across a article from the Dallas News. I'm not sure how reliable it is, but here are some quotes from it. Civello is the coach from the school that lost.
    Against Covenant, Dallas Academy was surprised to see an obviously superior team keep the pressure on until it scored its 100th point in the fourth quarter. "I'm sure they could have won by 30 points and still had just as good a time," Civello said.
    In a brief e-mail statement Wednesday evening, Covenant coach Micah Grimes called his team's 100-point total "unfortunate."

"It just happened, and we are not happy about that," Grimes wrote. "Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future."
    "They are really good," Civello said. "Their point guard is terrific. This is what it came down to in the second half: steal at half court and layup. Steal and layup. Steal and layup. It was a layup drill. They finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left." Covenant's point guard had 48 points.

khain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In my own opinion, after having played basketball in middle/high school and having been on a really cruddy team, I don't think it's that big of a deal. As someone said before. When you step out into a competition you're accepting that the other team may be better than you. You're accepting that they may in fact absolutely trounce you. That's the competition. I'm more insulted when the other team has to ease up and let me score. That's just stupid and doesn't teach anyone any life lesson. If I was on the opposing team I'd much rather lose 100 to 0 and be treated like an actual opponent the entire game rather than them stopping playing and treating my team like a bunch of loser scrubs for half.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's Dallas Academy's girl's basketball schedule. They've been trounced in every game. Not quite as badly, but losing 66-4 is still pretty bad.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In my own opinion, after having played basketball in middle/high school and having been on a really cruddy team, I don't think it's that big of a deal. As someone said before. When you step out into a competition you're accepting that the other team may be better than you. You're accepting that they may in fact absolutely trounce you. That's the competition. I'm more insulted when the other team has to ease up and let me score. That's just stupid and doesn't teach anyone any life lesson. If I was on the opposing team I'd much rather lose 100 to 0 and be treated like an actual opponent the entire game rather than them stopping playing and treating my team like a bunch of loser scrubs for half.

exactly, if you don't want to lose badly, play a sport you're better at. This whole "Oh we mustn't run up the score" is a product of professional football where both sides risk injuries in a worthless last quarter if there is no hope of victory. If you look at almost any other country then thrashing your opponent is fine, you only back off when there is an injury risk or nothing more to achieve. In soccer say, once it's 10-0, you won't just give up you'll try and get the goalie to score, or whatver. In snooker, you don't stop once you have more than half the available points on a break. You keep on going for the maximum break.

Heck, the other team might pick up a consolation goal if you keep trying to score

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No, the whole "Don't run up the score" is a product of teaching kids some decent values while they engage in sports.

It's not just about winning. Sportsmanlikee behavior is to be encouraged. Running up the score is like gloating or spitting on the other team cause "they suck more then you" or whatever other terrible behavior you wanna come up with.

It's the fundamental value of "Don't be a dick".

shryke on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Great. So what's the difference between running up the score because you're a bunch of dicks and scoring at will because the other teams sucks like a vacuum?

Dallas Academy sucked and got their asses handed to them. Welcome to sports competition, get better at it or go home.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Great. So what's the difference between running up the score because you're a bunch of dicks and scoring at will because the other teams sucks like a vacuum?

Dallas Academy sucked and got their asses handed to them. Welcome to sports competition, get better at it or go home.

For one, the part where they pushed to score exactly 100 points?

Beyond that, virtually any sports league for non-adults have mercy rules for a reason.

shryke on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never heard of a mercy rule other than little league baseball, because the game would potentially never end. Certainly not in high school sports.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've never heard of a mercy rule other than little league baseball, because the game would potentially never end. Certainly not in high school sports.

If you're up by a certain amount in the high school basketball games I played in you couldn't full court press. That's the big one I know about.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Would it have been better if they kept up a constant offense and scored 189 points?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You people need to let off with your weird ideas of sportsmanship. Sportsmanship isn't about "going easy" on the other team if you're trashing them. You keep doing so, and at the end of the game at least they've learned from better players. Towards the end it's probably likely the winning team was just using the game as a practice session.

Honestly, nowhere have I ever heard of a winning team in a blowout game being referred to as "disgraceful" until now.

theSquid on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    100-0 is beyond a 'blowout' game.

80-40 is a blowout game. 100-0 is an utter humiliation.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shryke wrote: »

For one, the part where they pushed to score exactly 100 points?

Beyond that, virtually any sports league for non-adults have mercy rules for a reason.

So who's fault is it that this league for non-adults had no mercy rule? This was a sanctioned game, not a scrimmage. Should the couch have said 'let them score so it doesn't look so bad'? How about 'Forget everything I've tried to teach you in practice. Go ahead and get sloppy so that we have to work just as hard in the next few practices to make sure this lax play doesn't become the norm'?

This kind of thing happens all the damned time in high school level sports. It'll get mentioned from time to time on the local news and is just as quickly forgotten when there are more 'legitimate' stories. This one is notable because it involved a Christian school decimating a team made up of kids with learning handicaps. Now it looks like the Cetics just took on a Special Olympics All-Star team for the NBA Championship. And the Celtics were wrong for being better at it...

Maybe the fired coach should've just sent out three players instead of five? Maybe he should have just sat them for a quarter then turn to the other team and say 'You guys suck like limpets. I'm going to rest my squad for a full quarter and you can have the run of the court.' That would be pretty sporting, hey?

Maybe the league involved can restructure the rules for next season and call it 'Everybody Wins Basketball' or 'Thanks For Showing Up, Here's A Trophy'. Or perhaps the fired coach could've been more Christ-like and turned the other cheek to allow the opponents to win all the time. That'll look good on a resumé.

There is no way this story, and the feelings it engenders, can end well. Ever. Sometimes teams just suck. It's not the end of the world.

Santa Claustrophobia on