Options

Adrift in an Ocean of Stars...

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man. It's a shame about Sarah's voice. I really do like her design.

Also, how do you use those items that say they're for decorating the ship? I have a vending machine, biorhythm machine, and jukebox, but can't figure out what to do with them.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

I just see her as a Shion rip-off. Their faces are almost exact duplicates.

Gilder on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Also, how do you use those items that say they're for decorating the ship? I have a vending machine, biorhythm machine, and jukebox, but can't figure out what to do with them.

In rooms there are plates with an "s design" on them. You can select your room items from a list and place them there.

The only one I've gotten is the biorhythm one and as far as I can tell it does nothing. It tells you everyone is either lucky or unlucky.

This may factor into things like drops or discovering IC recipes; but honestly I have no idea.

EDIT: And I wouldn't say they're exact duplicates:
    shion.jpg
    star_sara.jpg
    I would say it's just a generic anime-face. /shrug

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There's "large" spots next to the treadmills in the main room of the Calnus, which is where those vending machines go. There's also medium ones near the two possible exits, you can put healing sheets and other weird shit there.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks. I guess I never noticed the spots for them.

And Sarah looks more like Sarah from Lost Odyssey than Shion, to me. Besides, the face doesn't matter since any time the camera's close enough to see it you'll be blinded from the light reflecting off of...everything, ever to notice it. I just really like her actual design.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks. I guess I never noticed the spots for them.

And Sarah looks more like Sarah from Lost Odyssey than Shion, to me. Besides, the face doesn't matter since any time the camera's close enough to see it you'll be blinded from the light reflecting off of...everything, ever to notice it. I just really like her actual design.

Yeah...that's the thing. I actually liked Sarah's design until I heard her voice/saw her generally ditzy demeanor.

Also...is there anyway for me to gather the materials for the funeral boutiques without pulling my hair out? I'm good on everything except those blue roses.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I finally got around to picking this up.

Anything I should know before starting?

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There doesn't seem to be a single likable character in the bunch (like, when the damn CAT GIRL is the least annoying one you know you're in trouble), but other than that it's really fun.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually like Reimi and Edge is okay. Otherwise I agree with you. Lymle is retarded pedobait, Bacchus is kinda a poor man's robocop, Sarah also suffers from brain damage, Myuria needs to put on some clothes, Meracle...okay I guess except when she choose to put meow in front of a word, Arumat seems to be a wannabe emo-goth, and Faize...well, other than his horrible taste in clothing he is alright.

But yeah, it's like whoever wrote this took the stereotypes associated with each of the character's "role" and pushed it to 11.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reimi was alright until she started the tsundere shit outta nowhere all "EDGE YOU PERVERT FOR REASONS THAT CLEARLY ARE NOT YOUR FAULT *SMACK*" every other damn scene.

Although I did really like when she

(post-fourth planet spoilers)
    Pulled rank on Edge and assumed command of the Calnus

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Some things are missable. Do you care about achievements?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reimi was alright until she started the tsundere shit outta nowhere all "EDGE YOU PERVERT FOR REASONS THAT CLEARLY ARE NOT YOUR FAULT *SMACK*" every other damn scene.

I think I like Reimi's design the most out of all of them. Especially in the rare cutscene that's not in-engine, she looks very nice without being a cliche titted-out anime character. I also like that the clothing she wears actually looks reasonably like some kind of body protection, unlike the rest of the women.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I think I like Reimi's design the most out of all of them. Especially in the rare cutscene that's not in-engine, she looks very nice without being a cliche titted-out anime character. I also like that the clothing she wears actually looks reasonably like some kind of body protection, unlike the rest of the women.
    Her design is all right (though I still would have preferred pants to the spankies), but good god does her actual character grate me.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »

A little bit, but it's not a huge deal.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So I've been slowly working my way through the first bonus dungeon. I'm on the 3rd floor now, and it seems like for a reasonably decked-out party, there's not a ton of challenge, but killing bosses just takes fucking forever. I hope I can get some better weapons soon (or materials to make better ones).

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What is the level cap in this one? cause wasnt the level cap in 2 like 255 or something?

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    BathTubb wrote: »
    What is the level cap in this one? cause wasnt the level cap in 2 like 255 or something?

If I understand correctly, the cap is 255, but getting 50% of any given character's battle trophies removes that cap for them.

edit: But really, I'm fairly sure that by the time you hit 255, most things in the game would do zero damage to you.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

If I understand correctly, the cap is 255, but getting 50% of any given character's battle trophies removes that cap for them.

edit: But really, I'm fairly sure that by the time you hit 255, most things in the game would do zero damage to you.
    Not quite. That would be a moderately useful Battle Trophy bonus and we can't have that.

Normal level cap is 200, getting 50% of the character's battle trophies raises it to 255.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    So basically...you have to unlock the default Star Ocean max level. Talk about lazy.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So basically...you have to unlock the default Star Ocean max level. Talk about lazy.

Be happy you got all the difficulty levels and play modes at the start. In SO3 you needed 75/300 trophies for Universe, 195/300 for 4D, and 295/300 for Full Active Mode which I think basically translates into Manual Mode. The thing to keep in mind is that after you get all the boss trophies, which is like 100 of them, the rest are almost all bullshit ones like "Beat the Ethereal Queen on 4D without taking damage" or "Deal exactly X amount of damage".

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

Be happy you got all the difficulty levels and play modes at the start. In SO3 you needed 75/300 trophies for Universe, 195/300 for 4D, and 295/300 for Full Active Mode which I think basically translates into Manual Mode.

Uh. You have to beat the game to unlock the higher difficulties.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Be happy you got all the difficulty levels and play modes at the start. In SO3 you needed 75/300 trophies for Universe, 195/300 for 4D, and 295/300 for Full Active Mode which I think basically translates into Manual Mode.

Oh right, I forgot. I just remembered seeing them on the menu but they're blacked out. Still, there's no absurdity you have to go through to get them. Beating the game is actually a pretty normal way of unlocking difficulties. Getting a bunch of trophies to prove your worth is less orthodox.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Oh right, I forgot. I just remembered seeing them on the menu but they're blacked out. Still, there's no absurdity you have to go through to get them. Beating the game is actually a pretty normal way of unlocking difficulties. Getting a bunch of trophies to prove your worth is less orthodox.

And really, the trophies in SO4 are much more reasonable (if just as odd) than the bullshit in SO3 where most of them related to beating a boss in some absurd way (like, no damage, or incredibly fast, or on a high difficulty, or all of those at once). I can see myself potentially getting most of the trophies in SO4.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And really, the trophies in SO4 are much more reasonable (if just as odd) than the bullshit in SO3 where most of them related to beating a boss in some absurd way (like, no damage, or incredibly fast, or on a high difficulty, or all of those at once). I can see myself potentially getting most of the trophies in SO4.
    Yeah, "Heal exactly 777" is totally reasonable.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    When I get those "Do a specific amount of damage/healing" trophies most of the time its an "Oh...I got it. Cool, I guess." type of moment rather than actually feeling like I did anything. Really half of the trophies in the game are just padding.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And the numbers are so random.

"INTERRUPT AN ENEMY'S CASTING 43 TIMES"

"MAKE 79 CONSECUTIVE SHOTS WITH A BOW"

Why not 45? And 80?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    And the numbers are so random.

"INTERRUPT AN ENEMY'S CASTING 43 TIMES"

"MAKE 79 CONSECUTIVE SHOTS WITH A BOW"

Why not 45? And 80?

Easy answer: Tri-Ace don't know what the hell they're doing.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When I get those "Do a specific amount of damage/healing" trophies most of the time its an "Oh...I got it. Cool, I guess." type of moment rather than actually feeling like I did anything. Really half of the trophies in the game are just padding.

Yeah but since the rewards are so shitty past 50%, you don't even have to go for those ones. You can just do the easy but time consuming ones like kill a bunch of enemies with Cerberus or kill 100 X type enemies. The rewards in SO3 were actually things you wanted. I'm a costume whore so I wanted those stupid trophies but I don't think I even got to unlock 4D mode.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When does the game start to get hard? I am on the second planet and everything so far has been a big cakewalk. When you have the green gems on your bonus board do those sp points go to indivdual or group?

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When does the game start to get hard? I am on the second planet and everything so far has been a big cakewalk. When you have the green gems on your bonus board do those sp points go to indivdual or group?

...Group and on default difficulty the game isn't really hard. May be because I was ridiculously overleveled due to how my bonus board was set up, but it was pretty easy the whole way through.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009

Never really. If you don't grind much (like I didn't), the bosses starting on the third planet can be fun because you literally just don't do damage outside of criticals. The rest of the battles are jokes through the whole game. They get especially bad if you use certain characters/skills. Bacchus' Black Hole/Irradiation is essentially an auto-kill for almost any encounter.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reimi Hunting Swallow/Crimson Squall combo is hilariously broken too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Never really. If you don't grind much (like I didn't), the bosses starting on the third planet can be fun because you literally just don't do damage outside of criticals. The rest of the battles are jokes through the whole game. They get especially bad if you use certain characters/skills. Bacchus' Black Hole/Irradiation is essentially an auto-kill for almost any encounter.

If you give everyone but casters Critical Hit and Myuria Fastcast, your party becomes unstoppable. My party of Edge, Arumat, Myuria, and Reimi became the destroyers of worlds. It's so fun switching over to Arumat with those battle skills because he hits pretty much everyone with his scythe and the multiple critical hits consume his enemies. So fun. My favorite combo of his is Bloodstorm Revolution -> Aerial Gallows. He knocks them in the air, juggles them, then jumps up with Aeiral Gallows to grab them and throw them into the ground. Fuck yeah.

I started the optional dungeon in the Roak colosseum the other day. I didn't play much of it, but damn those enemies have a lot of health. It kind of takes the fun out of fighting those normal mobs when it takes forever to kill them. Where's the other optional dungeon? There are two, right?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can't wait to get Arumat.

I'll be going with Edge/Arumat/Meracle/Reimi.

I am going to just....kill. Everything.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009
    Where's the early optional dungeon on Roak anyway? I just sort of wandered past that particular sidequest because of the ridiculous ogre grinding requirement.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No caster? Edge won't be enough for healing unless you give him Faerie Star. I found two melee party members to be enough, (Edge for solo, Arumat for multi) with Reimi and Myuria taking on enemies long distance. Myuria's Plasma Storm is an awesome spell, too, since it hits everything on the field. Plus I like how Edge, Arumat, Myuria, and Reimi look - all grown up and fairly mature. Of course, it's your party, and the game is easy enough that you could probably beat the game with your eyes closed. :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Not to mention Edge can't learn Fastcast.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

No caster? Edge won't be enough for healing unless you give him Faerie Star. I found two melee party members to be enough, (Edge for solo, Arumat for multi) with Reimi and Myuria taking on enemies long distance. Myuria's Plasma Storm is an awesome spell, too, since it hits everything on the field. Plus I like how Edge, Arumat, Myuria, and Reimi look - all grown up and fairly mature. Of course, it's your party, and the game is easy enough that you could probably beat the game with your eyes closed. :P
    The closest I've ever come to using a healer in a Star Ocean game was Joshua in Star Ocean 1.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »

A little bit, but it's not a huge deal.

Other than achievements, the only things you might miss out on without a guide (and actually care about) are some character-development cutscenes and ending scenes.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Where's the early optional dungeon on Roak anyway? I just sort of wandered past that particular sidequest because of the ridiculous ogre grinding requirement.

It's on the eastern side of Astral, it opens up after you do the ogre grinding. There's not much too it though, aside from some good mining points and a kickass weapon for Meracle in the post-game.

Vincent Grayson on