As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trimming your hair down there

AndrewAndrew Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I definitely remember a thread about this topic but I can't seem to find it on search, so I'll start a new one. If someone knows where it is, please let direct me and lock this.

I want to trim myself down there for my ladyfriend. What are the proper ways to handle this? How do I avoid it itching like hell?

ilovedeaths.jpg
Andrew on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Pick up a Gilette Mach3.

Get in the shower. Stand under hot water for 5 minutes so the hair down there gets soft and the pores open up.

Use shaving cream if you wish. I recommend it for a refreshing feeling afterwards.

In an extremely careful, preferably sober state, slowly shave. Rinse the razor every other stroke.

Get out of shower. Replace the razor tip with a clean one, and clean the shower to make sure your hair is not all over the place.

The first few times it will feel weird, but you'll get used to it. You'll even like it, because it feels cleaner and more comfortable.

If you just want to trim however (which is what I used to do... but it's very cumbersome), grab a pair of nose/ear trimming scissors, and follow the steps outlined above.

ege02 on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Get a new razor so the blades are sharp. Schick Quattro works wonders.

Trim the hair with scissors or clippers first. Do it in or after a hot shower so the skin is less irritated when you shave, and definitely use shaving cream(I prefer lotion for this).

Idk if it's just for me, but using that St. Ives apricot scrub when I shower prevents ingrown hairs and lets me shave against the grain for silky smooth awesomeness.

Also, don't shave it all off. That's too feminine, and most girls(the ones I've dealt with anyways) find it a turn off. I leave a patch above the dick itself, but I trim it down to about an inch. Rule of thumb here is that the dick and sack should be smooth, the rest of it trimmed to maintain the optical inch and cleanliness.

Sami on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    www.shaveeverywhere.com

While a hilarious site, the product is actually quite good at what it does.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would not recommend going bald unless you are an otherwise hairless fellow. Think about it; you got hair on your legs, ass, and maybe stomach... Wouldn’t a big bald spot look a little weird? I remember I tried this once and it looked so out of place that I didn’t even want my girlfriend at the time to see it because it looked so awkward. So that night we’re making out and she makes a move for it and I tell her about what my wacky razor had done. She got all excited about it and when she finally convinced me to let her do her thing, when she finally got it out she seemed a little disappointed about the whole thing. So I went back to just shaving the balls and shaft and just trimming the rest. Which we both decided looked and felt a lot better, also it requires less upkeep.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    ParroteerParroteer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I don't know. I can't imagine actually shaving down to the skin, at least on the testicles. That's essentially the thinnest, most sensitive skin you've got, and I already have enough trouble with my neck.

That bodygroom looks much safer, but then you're leaving a little bit of stubble.

Parroteer on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would really recommend not using an actual razor unless you have very fine hair. It's easy to give yourself razor burn, etc.

It's hard to go wrong with an electric trimmer, whether it's the Norelco or another brand.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    blincoln wrote:
    I would really recommend not using an actual razor unless you have very fine hair. It's easy to give yourself razor burn, etc.

It's hard to go wrong with an electric trimmer, whether it's the Norelco or another brand.

One does NOT recommend trying this to get close to the skin... I've heard unpleasant stories about people trying this to get close liek a razor (using a trimmer without the guard on) and getting caught in it... I don't think any guys need to imagine more than that to proceed with caution.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    One does NOT recommend trying this to get close to the skin... I've heard unpleasant stories about people trying this to get close liek a razor (using a trimmer without the guard on) and getting caught in it... I don't think any guys need to imagine more than that to proceed with caution.

Thank you for making me squirm in my chair.

If you were going to go the clipper option. just use it to shorten the hairs and then use the blade.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    boudabrasboudabras Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

I've had my trimmer catch on, and painfully rip out, a little bundle of hairs. That wasn't much fun, I can't imagine how catching skin would feel.

Now I just use the trimmer on my bush, the rest gets a nice, sharp manual razor. This leaves me feeling smooth and looking clean without an unsightly bald spot. 8)

boudabras on
    The secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met
  • Options
    polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    a gilette mach 3 works fine. infact, it works perfectly. especially if its a mach 3 turbo.

never cut my balls, razorburn ,yeah in the beginning, but after a while not so much. trust me this process isnt hard and it isnt that scary as long as you arent insanely accident prone. basically if you can shave your face you can shave your pubes. but if its your first time i would suggest a pre shave trimming it down with scissors. as beard trimmers do have a tendency to jam and pull.

being "bald" in one place is a matter of personal opinion. in my experience sheer baldness is welcomed openly, for its lack of scratchiness

also conditioner works well as a shaving creme substitute

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would personally recommend just using electric clippers for the job. That's all I've used, and it's worked fine for me. DO make sure that it's well-maintained, however, since a poorly maintained electric clipper pulls more than it cuts.

If you want, spot shave afterward with your face razor, using a brand new blade.

naporeon on
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    After trimming the hair down I come to you, H/A, with a question of upmost importance:

How do I stop this from itching so god damned much?

Andrew on
    ilovedeaths.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Andrew wrote:
    After trimming the hair down I come to you, H/A, with a question of upmost importance:

You can't. That's why I prefer shaving over trimming. When you trim it, the shortened hair makes your skin itch as it's pressed against the clothing. It's annoying as hell.

ege02 on
  • Options
    beatbeat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yea i got bored one day and experimented and shaved down there, just use a mach 3 and be careful lol, like someone said before cut it down with some clippers first then get the rest of it with a mach 3

beat on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    beat wrote:
    yea i got bored one day and experimented and shaved down there

You shave various parts of your body when you're bored?

Dear god.

ege02 on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    beat wrote:
    yea i got bored one day and experimented and shaved down there

You shave various parts of your body when you're bored?

Dear god.

I can't help but think of Quagmire from family guy.

Does this look like a Q?

How about now?

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Andrew wrote:

Hehehe the first time there isnt much you can do, try some really mild aftershave and loose underwear. It sucks the first few times but in later it'll stop being itchy and razor burny.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    y'know, I understand people wanting to be shaved down there, but pubic hair exist for a reason. so that there would be less friction there during sexual acts.

All I know is that if it grows as stubble, it'll probably be pointy and worse. keep it shaven.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BulimicGoatBulimicGoat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Baby Powder helps the itching. Plus the lady will appreciate it not smelling like crotch sweat.

As for electric trimming, make sure you don't go too close. I did once and my gf complained about the stubbles.

BulimicGoat on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 -> Hah, funny cause I shaved my head when I was bored.

I just trim my crotch real short though, shaving looks silly imo.

varland on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    so that there would be less friction there during sexual acts.

Er, no, it's there to keep your genitals warm and capable of producing babies.

The itchiness is why I recommended NOT shaving, just trimming. When I was a lot younger, I tried every way imaginable of shaving, and it always resulted in razor burn and itching, and nasty stubble as it grew out. Trimming to about 1/4" avoids both problems.

As I said, it's probably a question of hair thickness.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    blincoln wrote:

I always thought it was to draw moisture away from the surface of the skin to aid in sweat evaporation, hence keeping cooler... Same with under your arms.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    blincoln wrote:

Er, no. Your testicals hang outside your body for a reason, they have to be cooler than body temperature (I think they have to be 96F) for sperm to live.

I recommend trimming than shaving...shaving itches way too much when it comes back, and then there are in grown hairs and it's just not very fun.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

I use a norelco bodygroom and never use a guard, and have never had any thing remotely like that happen to me.

Greg343 on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Solvent wrote:
    blincoln wrote:

I always thought it was to draw moisture away from the surface of the skin to aid in sweat evaporation, hence keeping cooler... Same with under your arms.
    I thought it was there to hold your scent, just like your pit hair.

My only advice is a razor for the junk and clippers for the bush.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SuperSweetieSuperSweetie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, from a F point of view, I really dont have a preference if a man is shaved or trimmed. Trimmed is nice but shaved is okay too. As far as the itching goes, baby powder will help with that.

Also, as stated above, from what I gather, it is there to help with scent. Myself, I wax. Dont want to risk using a razer in that area. Yeah, im a chicken.

SuperSweetie on
    rat53r.jpg
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    two words guys: nut wax.

seriously though, I use a trimmer to cut the length down, and then razor for smoothness. washing with some sort of exfolient (sp?) usually does the trick for curbing any in-growns or other exciting hair related problems.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ockenocken Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, two words: Dry shaving.

So this one is more for you when you've already shaved once (real short) in the shower.

I thought this was a joke when I heard it but it turns out pretty good. First, you need a razor you trust (I use the M3) and this should be done with dry skin for optimal performance. Next you need to grab your schlong with one hand and probably pull it a little so your skin gets stretched out. Third, shave like you're used to but do it gently and be sure to only do this on your scrotum (the balls). You can also do this on the side but make sure that you don't do it above your penis. Does NOT work there.

Do not use water, just tap the razor against the hand sink or wherever you are. The reason this works is because the short hairs (1-3 mm) are easier to shave off when they're dry.

Finally hit the shower and then some moisturizer.

ocken on