As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW: 2/4/09 - No Turning Back Now

Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Graphic Violence
Invincible Iron Man

goddamnit Fraction, you know how to write an awesome book

Diablo Fett on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, Invincible Iron Man is pretty much awesome.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Can someone explain fantastic four to me?
    It says at the start Johnnys sister was buried, do they mean Sue from the future?

And it must really suck to be a hero from any dimension but the main one.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Secret Warriors #1 probably earns MotW just from the fan-buzz alone on the final page.
    "...I've been workin' for the bad guys the whole damn time."

Owenashi on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't read anything else this week, but I'm not expecting anything to top it:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe

I hope it isn't another year before volume 6 comes out, but it probably will be.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Secret Warriors #1 probably earns MotW just from the fan-buzz alone on the final page.

yeah, Secret Warriors was probably my #2

great way to start the series

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scott Pilgrim 5 wasn't as good as Scott Pilgrim 4.

But it was still pretty good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    Legion of 3 Worlds
    2cet3bl.jpg
    2mi2eki.jpg
    2vnqt5d.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Furu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    I went to scans daily and it took them until the third comment or so to start complaining

god why do i ever go there?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I went to scans daily and it took them until the third comment or so to start complaining

god why do i ever go there?

Deep masochism.

Anyway even though I knew that was coming it was done in a fantastic way.

Furu on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2009
    man geoff johns does big reveals pretty well

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    there's more build-up in the issue, I just cropped out everything but Superboy Prime's parts

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    really, that moment aside, the whole issue was...I hate to use the word (thanks for ruining everything, internet!), epic.

if it was a movie you'd be yellin "OH SHIT" the whole time

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i should probably read Lo3W

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I probably would have been, if I knew anything about the Legion. Even so, the last few pages were amazing.

Recommended reading?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really like the Legion of Superheroes, so I'll definitely be picking up Lo3W when I get set financially. So I guess the trade will be out by then, most likely!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i dont really need to say it do i?

instead my moment of last week was Umbrella Academy 3

best issue yet

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    my.php?image=sw024cq1.jpg

For some reason, I just loved all the little extra espionage / personel files at the end, too.

KVW on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Legion of 3 Worlds
    2cet3bl.jpg
    2mi2eki.jpg
    2vnqt5d.jpg

Whoops, I didn't see the second scan the first time around.

Neat.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I love the way Johns is writing Superboy Prime in Lo3W. He's just such a stupid brat

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i dont care if they even explain
    how he's a kid again or anything

in fact i hope they just ignore it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

But than you'll get people at every convention going
    But why is he a kid? Why?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

But than you'll get people at every convention going
    But why is he a kid? Why?

who gives a shit about those people though

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now the douchebags at S_D are going on about Secret Warriors.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So LO3w
    What are the chances that he comes back and is in actual present day comics again? Or is he just going to stay in the future?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    i thought SW was pretty awesome

not the art though

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    i thought SW was pretty awesome

not the art though

what

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Agents of Atlas #1, which I hope everyone bought, or plans to buy in TPB later, was great throughout. It managed to give a thorough recap of the previous Agents of Atlas mini-series, while still giving a clear picture of the group's current status quo, and setting up their place in the Marvel Universe. Parker's dialogue, pacing, and plot are spot on as usual, and Carlos Pagulayan's art is really just amazing, and only enhanced by Jana Schirmer's soft, painterly colors. While I enjoyed the whole thing, one panel did make me laugh out loud.
    AgentsofAtlas1A.jpg

Mr. Lao, the centuries old dragon there, has just consumed a supervillain in Osborn's employ. For those unaware, Bob Grayson, formerly known as Marvel Boy, and now sometimes called the Uranian, flies the spaceship hovering in the background there.

Astonishing Tales #1, Marvel's new anthology series, was released today to little fanfare, which is unfortunate. Though it has two filler stories about Iron Man that weren't particularly interesting, there's a CB Cebulski story featuring a Punisher/Wolverine team-up with amazing art by Kenneth Rocafort, some of which you can see here. My moment comes from Johnathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra's story about Mojo, Cannonball, and Sunspot. The story features the heroes abducted by Mojo following a writer's strike on Mojoworld. It would have been more topical months ago, but it's still a fun story.
    AstonishingTales1A.jpg

I just love the idea of two seasoned superheroes being abducted, and rather than get all indignant and decide to fight back, deciding, "Eh, fuck it. Not like we can't get out of here whenever we want. Let's do this!" Plus, Pitarra's art is wonderful, and Hickman even does a few pages featuring the protagonists on Earth, which transition into Pitarra's Mojoworld pages in a cool, interesting way.

In the final issue of El Diablo, new El Diablo Chato Santana is sentenced to die via electric chair, having had his powers stripped from him. And then, something interesting happens.
    ElDiablo6A.jpg
    Overall, the whole series feels a bit rushed, like Jai Nitz was trying to cram too much story into too few issues, but the entire mini-series has really surprised me, in a good way. I'll be on the lookout for Nitz's next project. As usual, Phil Hester's art is sleek as Hell, with his usual inker Ande Parks giving everything that clean, angular line their collaborations always have.

Secret Six #6 at first seemed like it was going to be painfully anti-climactic. And then Simone just started throwing revelation, after revelation, after shocking twist at the reader. Just when it seemed like she was done, she hit you with one more, spread across several pages of one cast member being an utter hardass. Now that all sounds interesting, yeah? It totally was. My MotW from Secret Six has nothing to do with any of that, and is pulled from the six-page Omens and Origings back-up.
    SecretSix6A.jpg

Hatter, you goddamn freak. I can't believe DC let Woods and Simone get away with that gag.
    As usual, Nicola Scott's artwork was amazing, due in no small part to the work of colorist Jason Wright, who gives the art a really rendered, three dimensional look.

Secret Warriors #1 was fantastic, and while I'd previously thought about just checking out the first issue and then dropping it to get the TPBs, I realize now I can't. I'm hooked. The issue opens with a recon mission gone wrong, and then the intensity just builds and builds, as Nick Fury performs a one-man infiltration operation on a highly guarded data center while wearing hydraulic jumping boots, and uncovers corruption in SHIELD and the U.S. government, the likes of which he didn't think possible. But my favorite moment came when Nick and Daisy, aka Quake, assess the failed recon mission and come across the one member who didn't participate.
    SecretWarriors1A.jpg

SecretWarriors1B.jpg

Phobos and Quake are both just adorable.
    It should be mentioned I grow more and more impressed with artist Stefano Caselli every time I see his work. Like a lot of people, I was really unimpressed when he debuted on Civil War: Runaways/Young Avengers a few years ago, but lately? Goddamn, the dude just gets better and better. I love his style, utilizing a lot of clean lines and little in the way of heavy blacks or shadow, while relying on colorist Daniele Rudoni to provide depth and form to his work.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    that last line is delightful

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Should probably pick up Agents of Atlas. Sticking with my choice to not touch Secret Warriors.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    man when the fuck is Ares gonna realize his son is missing

they have to address that right?

right?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To be fair, it's not like Gods haven't sired mortal progeny and then forgotten about them for a few decades before. Plus, after Alex became a God-slaying, katana-wielding badass in the original Ares mini, his pops probably figures wherever he is, he can handle himself.

Alternatively, Ares learned how to parent from this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJP4dr_mioA

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So LO3w
    What are the chances that he comes back and is in actual present day comics again? Or is he just going to stay in the future?
    I highly doubt he'll stay in the future. Flash: Rebirth will probably bring him back if Lo3W doesn't.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    God, I hope so.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He'd be kinda wasted if he didn't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just don't want
    him to go on Teen Titans. At least written by McKeever.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Regarding Secret Warriors:
    I love the utter cheek of that kid to call Nick 'Nicholas'. Anyone with that kinda balls is fine in my book.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, so was that
    Bart Allen?

I haven't been collecting Legion of 3 Worlds.

But dear God I hate
    Bart Allen

Because of how terrible Flash 1-13 was. I realize the character was just a victim of bad writing, but I still don't like him because of those issues.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Regarding Lo3W:
    Man, don't blame Impulse for what shitty writers did to him. He's an awesome character, and if this appearance in L03W is any indication, this will be a shining return to form for him(ie: nothing like those crappy Flash issues you spoke of)

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man when the fuck is Ares gonna realize his son is missing

they have to address that right?

right?
    I always thought Ares would be a shitty dad so I'm happy to see Hickman and Bendis have taken the time to showcase it by Phobos' participation in Secret Invasion and disappearance not actually having occured to him yet.

An Ares that does right by his son is no asshole brother of Hercules who gets off on war to me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile