As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Octuplets & Being a single mother with 14 children.

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sykus wrote: »
    These kids were also born something like 2 months premature. The human body simply is not equipped to carry eight children to term. So in addition to forcing taxpayers to pay for everything in a pathetic attempt to get rich "selling the story", she inflicted a potential lifetime of chronic illness and suffering on these children. Well, those that survive anyway.

I think what she did was sick, crass, and inhumane.

We were actually talking about the 49 year old who is pregnant with 4 fetuses and got the procedure done by the same doctor as octomom, but I totally agree with you.

The fact that government handout money was used in both cases not only to cover the pregnancy medical bills but to pay for the fertility treatment is sickening.

Were starting to see that the doctor responsible for these fertility treatments is also likely "sick crass and inhumane".

Also, does no one ever ask "where did you get this money?" when an unemployed person coughs up 10k?

Dman on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it common to use 7 embryos? I hear they often implant many because usually a bulk of them don't take...isn't this rare?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's how it was. I believe the chances are much higher now.

Magus` on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    How the fuck did she pay for the fertilization if she's uninsured?

That is a damn good question.

Did she, like, use student loans?

Uninsured doesn't necessarily mean 'not able to afford insurance'.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Legacy wrote: »

True. But to have a pregnancy inducing procedure done that will, at some point in time, require medical attention and to not have health insurance? What the hell was she thinking? My natural thought would be that she cannot afford insurance as, surely, if you are going to become pregnant you would want health insurance. At least, I would hope so.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty obvious that they know they're not the father and just want their 15 minutes of marginal notoriety.

Also, forgive me if this has been addressed, but I posted this on my blog yesterday and didn't see it mentioned within the past 5 pages.

The doctor that shoved all those fertilized eggs into the octopod, he's struck again:
    The fertility doctor who helped Nadya Suleman become pregnant with octuplets is now at the center of another controversy.

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Dr. Michael Kamrava treated another patient at his Beverly Hills clinic, and she is pregnant with quadruplets.

Kamrava reportedly transferred at least seven embryos, made from donor eggs, into the unnamed 49-year-old woman.

She already has three adult children from a previous marriage and reportedly wanted one more child with her second husband, who is in his 30s.

The woman is currently five months pregnant and is hospitalized at the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the report.

She originally arrived at Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles for unspecified treatment but was transferred last week to the county medical center because she is uninsured, the Times reported.

The Times said Kamrava could not be reached for comment.
    - source

We will find out later this guy replaces donor sperm with his own in an attempt to break the record number of children with the same father. I seriously have to question WTF he's thinking at this point. Are loons just thronging to his door with buckets of money or what?

Srs. Its like he's got OCD and just can't stop implanting embryos once he gets started D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty obvious that they know they're not the father and just want their 15 minutes of marginal notoriety.

Also, forgive me if this has been addressed, but I posted this on my blog yesterday and didn't see it mentioned within the past 5 pages.

The doctor that shoved all those fertilized eggs into the octopod, he's struck again:
    The fertility doctor who helped Nadya Suleman become pregnant with octuplets is now at the center of another controversy.

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Dr. Michael Kamrava treated another patient at his Beverly Hills clinic, and she is pregnant with quadruplets.

Kamrava reportedly transferred at least seven embryos, made from donor eggs, into the unnamed 49-year-old woman.

She already has three adult children from a previous marriage and reportedly wanted one more child with her second husband, who is in his 30s.

The woman is currently five months pregnant and is hospitalized at the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the report.

She originally arrived at Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles for unspecified treatment but was transferred last week to the county medical center because she is uninsured, the Times reported.

The Times said Kamrava could not be reached for comment.
    - source

We will find out later this guy replaces donor sperm with his own in an attempt to break the record number of children with the same father. I seriously have to question WTF he's thinking at this point. Are loons just thronging to his door with buckets of money or what?

Srs. Its like he's got OCD and just can't stop implanting embryos once he gets started D:

It's like Civilization-syndrome. "Well, just one more..."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right. But she was, however, unemployed and at least 50k in debt. She had like, what, 100k from her 'disability', but she also had six kids so I can't imagine that money stretching very far.
    OMG why am I so obsessed with this story?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right. But she was, however, unemployed and at least 50k in debt. She had like, what, 100k from her 'disability', but she also had six kids so I can't imagine that money stretching very far.
    OMG why am I so obsessed with this story?
    You're talking about the wrong person, again.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    gilrain wrote: »

You mean I've done it before? Oops.

I'm a horrible person and I will leave this thread.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To be fair, this thread has three insane family units going now, with enough total members to crew a respectably-sized clipper ship.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Hey, hey, you're not so bad. Or are you purposefully pregnant with a litter of children you can in no way support without appropriating public funds? ;-)

gilrain on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    To be fair, this thread has three insane family units going now, with enough total members to crew a respectably-sized clipper ship.

... and if they did, the resulting reality show would more then pay for the costs incurred so far.

Uterus Blockade Runners
    Fertility Ship
    Man o Optional

I want Mike Rowe to host.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Hey, hey, you're not so bad. Or are you purposefully pregnant with a litter of children you can in no way support without appropriating public funds? ;-)

No, but I do foster fifteen kids, three of whom I lost track of months ago. The others I keep locked safely in a large storage freezer in the basement.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No, but I do foster fifteen kids, three of whom I lost track of months ago. The others I keep locked safely in a large storage freezer in the basement.
    All right then. :^:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

All right then. :^:

By "lost track," do you mean, "made a casserole"?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It was a rather modest casserole.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lost track as in sent to a farm where they run around and frolick freely.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, I didn't make them into a casserole. That's ridiculous.
    It was a quiche.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    prnt-boneratclrs-2T.gif

?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    With regard to Octomom making $texas from her infamy...

He publicist has dropped her due to death threats:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/17/killeen.qanda/index.html?iref=newssearch

And is saying they didn't make any money off the publicity (probably the real reason for dropping Octomom):
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/17/killeen.qanda/index.html?iref=newssearch#cnnSTCVideo

So she isn't making tons of money off them, and now that so many people are keeping close tabs on her it's gonna be tough for Octomom to get rid of her spawn Richard Dastardly style ;-) when they start telling her they don't love her.

Dman on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Unfunny as this actually happened in Maryland last year...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I'm going to throw up.

Alfie Patten is "distraught and devastated" by claims that he is not the father of baby Maisie, after two other teenagers claimed they had a relationship with his girlfriend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4637339/Schoolboy-father-Alfie-Patten-distraught-at-claims-Maisie-not-his.html
    http://www.hubdub.com/m32689/Is_13YearOld_Alfie_Patten_a_Father
    ^Pretty conclusive I think. :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So it seems OctoMom's house (or maybe it's her parents' house) is in foreclosure.

http://www.ktla.com/landing_mostinteresting/?Octuplets-Family-Home-Facing-Foreclosure=1&blockID=196258&feedID=1080

LadyM on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well luckily they'll all make out like bandits after this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, I'm pretty sure they won't.

Her fucking plan backfired in the biggest way possible and the victims are the children. I am fucking disgusted by this whole thing.

I'm not surprised about death threats and the publicist thing.
    I wonder how it will get worse in the coming days.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure they won't.

Her fucking plan backfired in the biggest way possible and the victims are the children. I am fucking disgusted by this whole thing.

I'm not surprised about death threats and the publicist thing.
    I wonder how it will get worse in the coming days.

Hold on now, she didn't make millions but according to LadyM's article:

The March 2 issue of Us magazine cites sources indicating that Nadya Suleman has received $100,000 from American tabloids for photos and $227,000 from British tabloids.

Angela Suleman reportedly received $40,000 from RadarOnline for a recent interview.

....I doubt the hospital has seen any of that money, and clearly she isn't paying rent. Her plan didn't completely backfire, she just can't handle money responsibly.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ...she just can't handle money responsibly.

Nor her uterus

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I fucking hate this world sometimes.
    She's smarter than me I guess. She made the system work for her. All it took was potentially ruining the lives of 14 children.

I need to get back to drawing board.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    And she destroyed her body.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    She's smarter than me I guess. She made the system work for her. All it took was potentially ruining the lives of 14 children.

We used to have rednecks living across the street when I lived at my mom's house still.

The mom was taking care of her own biological kid - as a foster parent. She received checks from the state to take care of her.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And she destroyed her body.

I bet her belly looks like Keith Richards.
    I was thinking of her torso but yes, that as well.

Fixified.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I was thinking of her torso but yes, that as well.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's funny that she's trying to get a masters in Social Work, when she clearly needs to be a client, not the professional. Bitch shouldn't be giving anyone advice on how to be successful.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

We used to have rednecks living across the street when I lived at my mom's house still.

The mom was taking care of her own biological kid - as a foster parent. She received checks from the state to take care of her.

You know that scene in Something about Mary where Matt Dillon is talking about mary being a "duece, duece and half... not bad! 4 kids, 3 different guys, but no rock!".

I know that person in real life.

She has 5 kids, 4 of them have different fathers. She weighs about 250, has no job, and still lives with her mom, who has 2 jobs working almost around the clock.

The woman makes more than 2k in child benefits per month, for doing nothing. She (and her mother) smoke constantly in her little 3 bedroom apartment in front of 5 kids, 4 of which are under 6.

She feeds these kids smarties and potato chips as food. If they are lucky they will get spam, the fake meat. If they are getting a kingly meal (like the monthly check just came), they would get mushroom soup or something like that.
    That's all that's in the cupboard for food. Chips, cookies, and that kind of shit, then there's some spam and some soup.

You better fucking believe there are also 4 cartons of cigs RIGHT FUCKING THERE BESIDE THE FOOD.

She yells and scolds these kids for being kids. They are under 6, they are going to do a bunch of reckless shit, but that doesn't stop her from grabbing them and shaking them. Yelling as loud as fucking possible at them.

I only spent like 30 minutes at a stretch at her house on 8 or 9 different occasions (I was working in the area, and forced to attend calls at her home) and I came away with all this. She has absolutely no fucking shame. She will bad mouth her mother in front of me and my co-workers. The woman who undeniably helps her take care of her children and bills.

It is so. fucking. pathetic.

It doesn't even make me feel like a better person because I don't act like that, or I'm not as uncivilized. It fucking pisses me off!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't really been keeping up with this thread but I have a question:

Why do people feel the need to send death threats to this woman and her publicist? Ok, you kill the mom of 14 kids...and then what? What is that supposed to do? What does her getting a reality tv show out of it hurt anyone else? Is this just the recession taking over people who want money and she's taking it from the government or...what? I'm not understanding the mentality of trying to kill the woman.

The woman is stupid to do this, yes. Killing her or keeping her from trying to make a living? Eh...?

Mim on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some people are giant assholes. That's all I got.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you're killing people at all, you're probably not in the market of making rational decisions and, thus, it's sort of foolish to look for reason.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mim wrote: »
    I haven't really been keeping up with this thread but I have a question:

Why do people feel the need to send death threats to this woman and her publicist? Ok, you kill the mom of 14 kids...and then what? What is that supposed to do? What does her getting a reality tv show out of it hurt anyone else? Is this just the recession taking over people who want money and she's taking it from the government or...what? I'm not understanding the mentality of trying to kill the woman.

The woman is stupid to do this, yes. Killing her or keeping her from trying to make a living? Eh...?
    The death threats are obviously uncalled for and stupid, but I don't blame people for being resentful of her. She intentionally got pregnant - with octuplets, no less - when she knew she would be unable to provide for these children. And, while it's pretty pointless to get all bent out of shape over what this is costing "the taxpayers" - which will ultimately be a drop in the bucket compared to everything else their taxes are paying for - she has rather blithely forced her parents into caring for these children full-time for the next several years.

And yeah, the recession has something to do with it, perhaps everything to do with it. If these were easy times then people wouldn't be near as pissed, but millions across the country are having trouble making ends meet, and then this person appears out of nowhere and turns herself into a human incubator, apparently with the intention that she was going to become a celebrity/get money out of the situation (Ie, get a career as a "child care expert" despite not even having a college degree). This doesn't excuse the uglier behavior from some of our wonderful American troglodytes, but it does explain it.

EDIT: Also, the "reality show" question is a whole other can of worms. I think reality TV is pretty crass in the first place, but just offering someone a TV show because they did something that, before the days of reality TV, would have seemed extremely unwise (intentionally having fourteen children when you're unemployed) doesn't sit well with a lot of people, and with good reason. Suleman did something which seems to me very thoughtless, which could potentially put her children's well-being at risk (especially the octuplets themselves, who will be very fortunate if they don't have to go through life with a whole slew of birth defects), as well as putting massive impositions on her parents during their retirement years. We as a society should not reward that sort of behavior with multimillion-dollar book deals and TV shows. Even worse, judging by the fact that she's already been through a publicist and an agent since these kids were born, it seems possible that she was angling for this sort of celebrity from the start. That's unhealthy, and we shouldn't indulge it. We shouldn't let her or her children starve, obviously, but she doesn't need to be a celebrity for that.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I wonder how many death threats were more hyperbole and exageration than actual wishing the ending of her life.

Please dont disillusion me, I still like people.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski