As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Octuplets & Being a single mother with 14 children.

• Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    The hatred would only be replaced with mild apathy, which would probably be worse for Octomom's prospects of a sideshow career.

If she was smart, she'd teach the kids to sing and go do some tent revivals... They are after all gods little miracles.

God had nothing to do with these, they are sciences mess. Let the doctors take the credit. :P

She says it was god's will.

I guess god's will destroying her ability to have kids was just an oversight.

She had six kids before this. Her ability to have kids seems pretty good to me.

Those were IVF as well.

...I'm not sure if that makes this all better or worse. :|
    It makes it better in the worst kind of way.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    God's got a lot of time on his hands, ok? He has to make these little challenges for himself to keep occupied. It's like he was playing sudoku with this woman's uterus.
    :lol::^:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    The hatred would only be replaced with mild apathy, which would probably be worse for Octomom's prospects of a sideshow career.

If she was smart, she'd teach the kids to sing and go do some tent revivals... They are after all gods little miracles.

God had nothing to do with these, they are sciences mess. Let the doctors take the credit. :P

Previous kids were IVF because her tubes are closed, she had a miscarriage due to an eptopic pregnancy.

The Duggars actually used birth control at one point, but the wife miscarried and they thought it was due to the birth control they were using, so they don't use it anymore..

My problem with the Duggars is not how they raise their kids or how many, it's the fact that they're only going to send the boys to college.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I'm pro in vitro, simply because my junk is messed up thanks to endometriosis and I'd like to have kids (one or two) of my own once I'm financially set enough to do so. If I have a hard time getting pregnant I'd like that option available to me. Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Humans can take anything to excess. In vitro can be abused. No one should have so many implants at once. This woman clearly could not take care of the kids she had and with this new bunch... it makes me wonder how long it is going to take before child welfare steps in.

Should you do a price check you'll find adoption costs about half as much. sometimes less. There are also no lawyers involved.

It's okay, just say "I want one of my owwwwwwn".

He did.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's really how ironic how completely irresponsible and stupid people can have as many children as they want, but adoptive parents, all around good people who have actually prepared for having children physically and financially have to go through hundreds of byrocratic hoops before even being considered for that. While there are millions of children without parents.
    Idiocracy's scarily coming true, innit.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm pro in vitro, simply because my junk is messed up thanks to endometriosis and I'd like to have kids (one or two) of my own once I'm financially set enough to do so. If I have a hard time getting pregnant I'd like that option available to me. Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Humans can take anything to excess. In vitro can be abused. No one should have so many implants at once. This woman clearly could not take care of the kids she had and with this new bunch... it makes me wonder how long it is going to take before child welfare steps in.

Should you do a price check you'll find adoption costs about half as much. sometimes less. There are also no lawyers involved.

He did.

And that's fine. But if your reason is really "I just want one of my own" don't dress it up as "I really have no other viable option."

It's like saying you're buying a TV because you couldn't find the address for the charity you wanted to donate to. No, dude, you just wanted to buy a TV more than you want to give a grand to hungry kids. Which, again, is totally justifiable - no need to dress it up as stymied altruism.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I must've missed where he said he didn't have any other option, but merely that's what he preferred over his other options. All he said was he was dissatisfied with the adoption process and fees associated with it. (Whether or not they're more or less than IVF I've yet to see proved in this thread).

More like, "I'd like to spend this $1000 on food for myself, or I could just as easily give this $1000 to a bum, but I'd rather use it for myself."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Previous kids were IVF because her tubes are closed, she had a miscarriage due to an eptopic pregnancy.

The Duggars actually used birth control at one point, but the wife miscarried and they thought it was due to the birth control they were using, so they don't use it anymore..
    At least they tried it... there's a family in my girlfriend's hometown with at least 8 kids, strict Catholic and all that; the oldest daughter once heard her mother praying to God not to send her any more children.

It's called BIRTH CONTROL, is it so hard to make yourself believe that God had a hand in its existence?!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I remember one day - not long after I saw that movie - I looked out my apartment window and saw this dude in a shitty, beat up S10 rip-assing down a residential street, leaning out the window and hollering "WHOOOOO!" - at absolutely nothing or nobody. There wasn't another soul on the street. Just him and his truck. I'm sure he was probably tweaking or something but all I could think was, "Clevon."

Duffel on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I remember one day - not long after I saw that movie - I looked out my apartment window and saw this dude in a shitty, beat up S10 rip-assing down a residential street, leaning out the window and hollering "WHOOOOO!" - at absolutely nothing or nobody. There wasn't another soul on the street. Just him and his truck. I'm sure he was probably tweaking or something but all I could think was, "Clevon."
    Where the heck do you live?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't really want to say because it's a place (wrongly) associated with certain stereotypes and if I did this would seem to be perpetuating them.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't really want to say because it's a place (wrongly) associated with certain stereotypes and if I did this would seem to be perpetuating them.
    Given the last quote, fair enough.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Im going to guess Billings, Montana.

So she's in the news again today, and I'm really getting tired of it given we've got a lot of pretty huge things going on in our country right now.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Im going to guess Billings, Montana.

So she's in the news again today, and I'm really getting tired of it given we've got a lot of pretty huge things going on in our country right now.

Honestly I'd rather be outraged at her excess than more angry at job losses and the economy taking a dump.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I must've missed where he said he didn't have any other option, but merely that's what he preferred over his other options. All he said was he was dissatisfied with the adoption process and fees associated with it. (Whether or not they're more or less than IVF I've yet to see proved in this thread).

More like, "I'd like to spend this $1000 on food for myself, or I could just as easily give this $1000 to a bum, but I'd rather use it for myself."
    uh, other stuff aside, someone with endometriosis isn't a he ;)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Cat wrote: »

uh, other stuff aside, someone with endometriosis isn't a he ;)

I was pretending it was a contagious typo :P

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

She said:
    Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Adoption fees are at least on the same order of cost as IVF fees, so it's not like if you can't afford one the other is a no-prob sort of affair.

But my point wasn't that mystik is a terrible person and should feel bad, or anything. As I said, wanting to have your own is perfectly justifiable, even if it costs just as much as adoption. Selfishness is not automatically evil. I could afford to adopt if I wanted to; I didn't want to. I wanted my own. It's cool.

I was just saying: Don't try to justify a procedure as prohibitively expensive when you're going to be doing a different procedure that's also really expensive. Just say, "I want to pass on my genes."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

She said:
    Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Adoption fees are at least on the same order of cost as IVF fees, so it's not like if you can't afford one the other is a no-prob sort of affair.

But my point wasn't that mystik is a terrible person and should feel bad, or anything. As I said, wanting to have your own is perfectly justifiable, even if it costs just as much as adoption. Selfishness is not automatically evil. I could afford to adopt if I wanted to; I didn't want to. I wanted my own. It's cool.

I was just saying: Don't try to justify a procedure as prohibitively expensive when you're going to be doing a different procedure that's also really expensive. Just say, "I want to pass on my genes."

Yeh, I wasn't really trying to imply having your own children is some sort of nefarious deed, though I guess it could be if you're into that thing.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apparently this lady is starting to get death threats over this entire deal.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

And the circle of rational discourse has come to completion.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Militant abortionists? Finally, it begins.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm pretty sure it's standard for anyone making the news to get death threats if they are a regular joe.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's standard for anyone making the news to get death threats if they are a regular joe.

There's always a few people who, upon finding out you exist, will begin to wish for you to die. Generally obscurity keeps you out of their sight, and you'll never actually run into any of these people unless you're unlucky.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    At least they tried it... there's a family in my girlfriend's hometown with at least 8 kids, strict Catholic and all that; the oldest daughter once heard her mother praying to God not to send her any more children.

It's called BIRTH CONTROL, is it so hard to make yourself believe that God had a hand in its existence?!

I know a couple families, both Mormon and Catholic, that are the exact same way. I just don't get it. Personally, I can't understand worshipping a God that isn't strong enough to break a condom.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In a strange twist, she's probably good for the economy. Y'know. All the money needed to support 14 freaking kids and the weird TV deals coming out of it.

Of course. It can and will all go horribly wrong.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »

I know a couple families, both Mormon and Catholic, that are the exact same way. I just don't get it. Personally, I can't understand worshipping a God that isn't strong enough to break a condom.

It's like the story about the dude drowning, says to himself "God will save me." A couple of fishing boats come by and offer to give him a lift but he goes "No thanks, God will save me." Guy drowns and goes to heaven, says "God, why didn't you save me?!" God says "I sent two fucking boats, you stupid motherfucker!"

Boats = condoms.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Well, the Mormons believe that god is an American, so it's not that god is powerless, he's just fat and lazy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

He did.

Correction, She did. :P
    Scalfin wrote: »

Well, the Mormons believe that god is an American, so it's not that god is powerless, he's just fat and lazy.

Not true.

Yes the Mormons are full of bullshit/crazy beliefs, so much so that there is literally no reason to be inaccurate about the bullshit/crazy.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    article1142566037e27120zz8.jpg
    My first reaction to this picture was "That's no moon! It's a trap!" :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    That had better become a meme. (The image, not the Ackbar phrase obviously)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    That had better become a meme. (The image, not the Ackbar phrase obviously)

Apperantly, the birth looked like the chestburster from Alien. I've seen video from the Plus Eight lady, andI can believe it. Holy shit.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jesus christ, that is terrifying.

Everything about this story is terrifying.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I feel dumb, but...is the picture real?

I mean, I didn't even figure she was allowed to stand up when she was that close to giving birth.

Duffel on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    im not sure if this has been said yet, since i only just popped in and read the first post, but it is common practice to implant around 4 or 5 ova in IVF treatments. normally, only one works and all is well and good. This is also the reason why alot of people who use IVF will have dizygotic twins etc.

I guess this lady just won the lottery and all of her implanted ova grew?

Edit: Yes this has been brought up previously. Ignore me please.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Man what the fuck...

My goal is now to make enough money to buy a lawn that I can order fucking kids off of.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Man, what ?

Damn video games!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ...who the fuck is having sex at 13?

moniker on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    ...who the fuck is having sex at 13?

That guy.

edit: Maybe even 12.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Most of Suleman’s children aren’t aware of what is about to happen to their family, but 6-year-old Amerah told “Dateline” that she didn’t think eight more siblings is a good idea.

“Do you think it'll be fun to have a lot of brothers and sisters like that?” Curry asked.

“No,” Amerah said.

“Why not?”

“'Cause there's gonna be a lot of crying.”

“Do you think your mom's going to be okay with all those kids all the time?”

“She's gonna be stressed out all the time,” Amerah opined.

Uh oh, the six year old has more common sense than the mom.

Also . . . the kids didn't KNOW they'd be getting eight new siblings? o_O

LadyM on