As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Dystopia!

If you cannot find a server list, read this!
Create an empty text file named steam.inf and move it into
...\Steam\steamapps\<accname>\dystopia\Dystopia\

THE COMMUNITY IS LIVE AND KICKING
This is the most common question im seeing the thread. With the Steam release, the community is amazingly better. Theres about 30 fullish servers right now. A huge influx of new players, and the vets are usually pretty nice to people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McIMai3GDk8

Imagine a true Shadowrun game, without the magic, and you have dystopia!

Feature List

* Dual layer gameplay; interlinked realworld and cyberspace
* A highly detailed futuristic "realworld" environment
* A 3D "cyberspace" computer network environment
* Unique player configuration system

7 assault style maps

* Assemble
* Broadcast
* Detonate
* Fortress
* Silo
* Undermine
* Vaccine

4 maps for the new Phistball mini game

* Dojo
* Rooftop
* Round
* Urban Dome

12 high powered primary weapons including

* Laser Sniper Rifle
* Boltgun
* Shotgun
* Smartlock Pistols
* Assault Rifle
* Grenade Launcher
* MK808 Semi Auto Rifle
* Tesla Gun
* Ion Cannon
* Rocket Launcher
* Minigun
* Basilisk

14 player selectable implants, including

* Cortex Bomb
* CyberDeck
* Advanced CyberDeck
* Sound Wave Triangulator
* TAC Scanner
* Thermal Vision
* Leg Boosters
* MediPlant
* Superconductor Capacitor Storage
* Sound Suppressor
* Stealth Suit
* Wired Reflexes
* IFF Info
* Cold Suit

"But Cango!" you say, "How do I play, and be as awesome as you?"

Short answer, you cant! But if you want to play and not be terrible Try checking out This handy New Players Guide

Learning curve:
Im not gonna lie, semi steep. Theres 2 factors to the game, meatspace, and cyberspace. Meatspace is like most FPSes, shouldnt be anything to new. Cyberspace is a whole new world. Imagine Tron meets Escher. Decking into Cyberspace is usually crucial to completing an objective, and theres only so many Jack In Points (JIPs) per objective. So if you dont know where to go in cyberspace, Jacking in will make your team yell at you. Either practice hacking on a private/empty server, or watch someone else who is doing it.

Available now thru [url=steam://run/17580]STEAM![/url]

(If the link doesnt work, go to the store page on steam, then Demos. Or just search for Dystopia on there.)

Steam Group!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Pixelantes
Its public for now. Join in and find some PAers to play with.

CangoFett on

• TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This Mod is so great. I'm absolutely in love.

I suck, but hey, it's fun!

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This mod is pretty great, and if you've played in the past the 1.2 update has some solid changes.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a lot of fun playing this on the PA server, when it was up, but heard horrible things about the outside (Like trying to get into Counter-Strike now as a newbie). How are the public servers faring now with the influx of new players?

Tertiee on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Imagine a true Cyberpunk 2020 game, and you have dystopia!
    Fixed for ya. Shadowrun without magic isn't Shadowrun, the game that William Gibson loathes. Heck, not even Shadowrun is Shadowrun anymore, as a lot of cyberpunk trappings were ditched in favor of transhuman themes in 2070. Shadowrun is Cyberpunk Lite, without the angst or the persecution complex.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never actually played this, but I want to. How large is the multiplayer community for it? Will I have trouble finding full games?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dystopia has always been one of the most well-polished HL2 mods out there. It has a great style and a lot of great weapons for different playstyles.

I don't know if the community is still going as strong as the last time I played, but it was never hard to find a server to play on when I did.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey awesome, I've wanted to make a Dystopia game on for quite some time

poor little mod is completely looked over these days despite being freaking sweet

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The community is huge right now, a few hundred people are playin right now, easily 20 active servers are up at the moment. Everyone should try this out, its a very professional, highly polished mod. Better than many retail games out there.

CangoFett on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From what I've seen there are a bunch of full games going now that it's got a new release on steam so finding a game isn't so difficult, and a lot of the players seem pretty new so it shouldn't be as bad as going into CS as a new player.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gameplay of Dystopia is awesome, but even the newest version has a severe lack of chatlog. Please head over to the Dystopia forums and suppport my suggestion about implementing the chatlog used in just about every other Source multiplayer game.

Also, I hope they fix Dystopia being reported as Source SDK Base soon.

Peewi on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember playing this last year. I kinda forgot about it. I'll have to try this out again.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    If you played when it first came out years ago, lots has changed.

Originally there was 1 map, vaccine. Now theres 10. All of them very high quality, interesting, and unique.
    3 new weapons have been added; the smartlock pistols which can home in on an enemy. The tesla cannon which shoots rays of lightning, or a lightning ball, and the bassilisk cannon, which is like a protable flak cannon.

There are now more program in cyberspace, and more unique CS features.

Seriously guys, check it out. Its an awesome deal.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009
    Have they already released an update or something? One moment I was playing on an extremely laggy server, then I disconnected and all the servers said my maps differed from theirs.

Peewi on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monger is on this like white on Monger. Any major changes from 1.1 to 1.2?

I should also mention that beeps per hit that change pitch depending on damage is the best thing to ever happen to the shooter genre and it is a travesty that other devs haven't realized the simple elegance of it.

Monger on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is a cool freaking mod. I must say the implant that lets you "see" sound is the coolest fucking thing ever. Without the sometimes annoying infrared vision mode I can usually detect cloaked enemies, or see them behind doors, or whatever. Fucking sweet. When I get off work I may download this and give it another go, it's been quite awhile since I last played. I will also try and do the whole cyberspace thing, I never did get the hang of it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now I remember. There's some map with this secret area some guy showed me, and it was seriously like gay anime all over the place. It kinda freaked me out and I stopped playing after that. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about so I don't look crazy? I just need 1 person to have seen it. Come on.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Now I remember. There's some map with this secret area some guy showed me, and it was seriously like gay anime all over the place. It kinda freaked me out and I stopped playing after that. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about so I don't look crazy? I just need 1 person to have seen it. Come on.

I don't remember what it's called, but there is one of the maps that has anime pictures on some JIPs. At least there was in 1.1. I haven't checked if it's still in 1.2.

Peewi on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

what

like yaoi?

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah. Its gone now

It was on the map broadcast, where the Corps are raiding a punk bar/club.

Some of the JIPs had pictures of anime characters, and it said interactive erotica on it.

If you spammed your use key on it, youd deck into the interactive erotica JIP

Which was just a big cube with the wallpaper being yaoi.

CangoFett on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Probably a discussion for a different thread, but...
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Fixed for ya. Shadowrun without magic isn't Shadowrun, the game that William Gibson loathes. Heck, not even Shadowrun is Shadowrun anymore, as a lot of cyberpunk trappings were ditched in favor of transhuman themes in 2070. Shadowrun is Cyberpunk Lite, without the angst or the persecution complex.

Which is okay by me, since a lot of the "classic" Cyberpunk trappings are now bunk and out-dated. I'd say that Shadowrun would still count as it, but it's actually looking forward to our future technology-wise instead of being stuck in a 80's version of the future.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say that the only good thing to ever come out of the Cyberpunk license was Netrunner.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah. Its gone now

It was on the map broadcast, where the Corps are raiding a punk bar/club.

Some of the JIPs had pictures of anime characters, and it said interactive erotica on it.

If you spammed your use key on it, youd deck into the interactive erotica JIP

Which was just a big cube with the wallpaper being yaoi.

that is awesome

PiptheFair on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    This is a cool freaking mod. I must say the implant that lets you "see" sound is the coolest fucking thing ever. Without the sometimes annoying infrared vision mode I can usually detect cloaked enemies, or see them behind doors, or whatever. Fucking sweet. When I get off work I may download this and give it another go, it's been quite awhile since I last played. I will also try and do the whole cyberspace thing, I never did get the hang of it.

The last time we did Dystopia on PA I got a reputation for liking to punch people to death as a heavy. :P

My preferred loadout was Basilisk with thermal vision (people hardly ever take a cold suit), wired reflexes and SCS.

Echo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Probably a discussion for a different thread, but...
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Which is okay by me, since a lot of the "classic" Cyberpunk trappings are now bunk and out-dated. I'd say that Shadowrun would still count as it, but it's actually looking forward to our future technology-wise instead of being stuck in a 80's version of the future.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say that the only good thing to ever come out of the Cyberpunk license was Netrunner.

Cyberpunk license? Is that a specific license or are we talking about the genre itself?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Cyberpunk license? Is that a specific license or are we talking about the genre itself?

Cyberpunk 2020, the RPG.

Echo on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I put tons and tons and tons of time into the very first release of Dystopia. It took me several hours to get to a point where I had any idea of what's going on but now that the pieces are back in place, I'm having a blast. Dystopia might be one of the best game anyone has ever made - certainly one of the greatest mods. It's complicated and dynamic and wonderful.

EDIT: Fucking lol at some weak neckbeard getting chased off a game by yaoi.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You're really going to make me play this again, aren't you.

pre v1, I used to run around with the MK208 or whatever medium rifle and just pop heads all the time. I used to deck at a highschool level, too. my mom even said so.

I played v1 and was underwhelmed at the amount of people playing, but now that there's a massive influx of fresh blood, mayhaps I'll swing myself back into this seriously wonderful game.

edit: i still hate the punk's medium skin. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited February 2009
    So, there was a PA-Dystopia group, but it sorta fell out, and the leader hasnt been on for 2 weeks, soooo I made a new one

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Pixelantes

Public for now, go on and join. This way we can get all up ins with some PAers

CangoFett on
  • BlightBlight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Saw thread title, closed everything I was doing and started downloading.

Blight on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grabbing this.

Inquisitor on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had downloaded the previous version of dystopia but much like tf2, I never got around to finishing it.

Maybe this is pt2 of my new years resolution.

Viscountalpha on
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I actually enjoyed Dystopia more than TF2. Thanks for reminding me Cango, jeeze.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first release and it's sad that the mod isn't more popular.

That said, I downloaded the new version and the "tutorial" is absolutely horrendous.

His Corkiness on
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if I still have my boltgun skills, guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Inquisitor on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really like the fact that you can cling to ledges and hoist yourself up. I'm sad more shooters don't allow this.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2009
    I really like the fact that you can cling to ledges and hoist yourself up. I'm sad more shooters don't allow this.

Seriously. Light armor + leg boosters + ledge grabbing allows you to do some amazing stuff that just leaves the other classes staring in envy.

Makes the TF2 scout feel like a dork.

Inquisitor on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first release and it's sad that the mod isn't more popular.

That said, I downloaded the new version and the "tutorial" is absolutely horrendous.

Yes. The tutorial is complete garbage. Is the first jumping part even practical?

Viscountalpha on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been trying to find a specific list of changes from 1.1 to 1.2, any help would nice.

Will download tomorrow anyway just because of how great this darn mod is.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I really like jacking in on this game. It feels like a less sucky tron 2.0

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

The last time we did Dystopia on PA I got a reputation for liking to punch people to death as a heavy. :P

My preferred loadout was Basilisk with thermal vision (people hardly ever take a cold suit), wired reflexes and SCS.

And you had a tendency to say "FALCON PUNCH!" over chat when punching people. I definitely remember that.

Peewi on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dystopiaownage.JPG
    Installing on my new machine when it's functional Monday.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman