As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Flash

14567810»

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't really bother me, since the only thing they could do with an older Iris is tell a "man in the wrong time" story like what happened to Steve Rogers in the Ultimates. He wakes up from a deep freeze and his long lost love is 80-something and married to his best friend who is also 80-something. Barry has been dead / stuck in the speed force for like 20 years of real time, which is probably closer to 10 years of comic time.

That's not really a big enough time difference to make any sort of interesting stories. Might as well just retcon her to be younger and get on with telling new Flash tales. I know I personally would not want to read a story about Barry coping with having a wife who is suddenly 10 years older than him.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's not a big enough time difference to be of any use in storytelling, then it should also not be a big enough difference to make it a problem to cope with.

De-aging her isn't the end of the world, and I'm not even going to read the Barry Allen comic anyway, but it's still hand-waving and kind of sexist to boot. I mean, fuck, is the idea of an attractive 40-something year old woman really that implausible?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not implausible at all.
    demi-moore-20061202-184839.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Iris is just Lois, isn't she?

I hate to be so pessimistic about something, but it's really going to be a challenge to make this a worthwhile book.

Or, more bluntly, this book is going to suck. And I know a ton of you guys don't plan on picking it up to begin with. I wonder how long it'll take before they realize why Wally worked so well for so long.

If they wanted to bring Barry back, they should've just turned him into the Wizard Shazam for the Speed Force.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Not implausible at all.

And that's how the Flash thread became the MILF thread.

Hadji: Barry will be killed, de-aged, and relegated to the role of Kid Flash within two years.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Max Mercury is the wizard shazam of the speed force.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not implausible at all.

And that's how the Flash thread became the MILF thread.

Hadji: Barry will be killed, de-aged, and relegated to the role of Kid Flash within two years.

I don't think Barry will be Kid Flashed, except in a one off "Switch identities due to de-aging" plotline (so I guess you may be correct). I just want Bart to be Impulse again.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want to read the Barry series just to see how many obtuse, [strike]sub[/strike]textual references Johns can make to how fast Barry is.

Maybe he'll have him go get fast food, but it won't be fast enough!

Hoho, what a jape that'd be.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm gonna read it because Francis Manapul is a fantastic artist

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, even going into the preview with extremely low expectations and a bias against Johns's recent writing, I couldn't help but think, "Wow, that's some really swank art."

Munch on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really like Manapul as well, but I'm still not sure if he's right for The Flash.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Flash: Secret Origins to appear down the line

Whether it's a stand alone mini or a part of the new series it remains to be seen.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I hope it has a bunch of new villains and strange retcons that will appear dated and incomprehensible a few years down the road.

That's what I look for in a superheroic origin story.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Irony is, Johns says the reason we need more Secret Origin type stories is because something like Emerald Dawn was done 25 years ago and isn't modern enough (which is BS, space stories hold up a lot better over time, and even Man of Steel holds up well outside of some clothing styles).

It's like, come on bra, chillax, you know what I'm sayin? Lates.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't they pretty much show his origin in Flash: Rebirth anyway?

They went over his mom dying, him trying to prove his dad's innocence, him getting hit by lightning

what more is there to it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Didn't they pretty much show his origin in Flash: Rebirth anyway?

They went over his mom dying, him trying to prove his dad's innocence, him getting hit by lightning

what more is there to it

Well he had similar flashbacks in GL: Rebirth as well, so Flash: Secret Origin will probably be Barry running into the Rogues for the first time or something. I'm sure, like Munch said, he'll try to tie it all into whatever story he's writing at the moment though.

I'm not sure I'll bother reading Flash anyway. Rebirth was a pretty bad story and BN: Flash was terribad.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If they were advertising it as Flash: Year One, I'd be all into that, and I don't even like the Flash. I just like early days adventures.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm just curious which version of the Flash appears in JLU? Most people around here tend to prefer Wally. Was he in JLU? Or was it Barry?

As a bonus question, is the Green Lantern in JLU Hal or Kyle? I've never actually watched the show.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wally was in JL/JLU.

And it was John Stewart in JLU, the black GL.

And there was a Wally version of Year One in the Waid TPB Flash: Born to Run. It was basically Wally as his time as Kid Flash.

Barry's year one will be about never having enough time, Iris is secretly an alcoholic, and Trickster will have a lolita complex. Ta-da, I spoiled it for everyone.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm just curious which version of the Flash appears in JLU? Most people around here tend to prefer Wally. Was he in JLU? Or was it Barry?

As a bonus question, is the Green Lantern in JLU Hal or Kyle? I've never actually watched the show.

you should watch it

right now

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There was one episode where Flash hung out with Scott Free and Big Barda, that was cool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anything with Scott Free and Big Barda gains instant cool points. This comic comes perilously close to breaking the cool barrier, and flooding the universe with pure, undiluted cool.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That series should be in a showcase format, along with Impulse or the second Flash series.

TexiKen on