As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Flash

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, it is definitely a retcon because in some of the issues of the Flash
    his parents were definitely both there

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is the point of a retcon like that? What the hell?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To upset you.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Was that the extent of the Bart/TT reunion special? Because it kind of blew.

Actually, this issue kind of blew. GL Rebirth at least had a sense of something BIG happening... this was just a complete fucking bummer from beginning to end.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It felt a lot more like a setup story to me. Seems like some of the stuff he put in there is stuff that will specifically come into play down the line. I wouldn't say it was bad. I just don't think this first issue was as strong as it could have been or perhaps needs to be.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It really should have been called The Flashes Are Sad

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jesus what is going on in this book

ugh

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    jesus what is going on in this book

ugh
    I actually enjoyed it. Some of the stuff came out of left field but it could be setup, like what was said before.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I usually really like Geoff Johns' writing, but this issue wasn't...very good. Along with what everyone else mentioned, there's just some plain bad writing. "He shattered my expectations like he shattered the sound barrier?" Who talks like that?

I'm also kind of confused how Johns can have such a consistently poor handle on Bart Allen's character. I don't care if he misses Max (all of a sudden, after barely mentioning him at all in any Johns-written stuff), Bart WORSHIPS Barry.

Admittedly I didn't think much of GL Rebirth either in the beginning, but this series is starting off with a lot more immediate problems.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are characters Johns simply has trouble writing. It looks like Bart is one of them.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's not even that, Bart has been shown to revere Barry in Johns' own writing (Infinite Crisis, Teen Titans). Not to mention the stuff in Impulse, primarily in Waid's run. He probably hates XS now just 'cuz

Johns is at the point where there is no middle ground in his writing, it's either really good or really bad.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Almost as bad is Bart's line about his brief time as Flash "not being any fun." It feels like Johns attempted to answer his critics by making Bart more Impulse-y, but only made him sound bratty.

To be fair, it's possible stuff happens in Legion of Three Worlds that helps explain or at least build up to Bart's seemingly out of character moments here (maybe getting killed as an adult made him subconsciously revert to a brattier, childlike personality, etc.). But even before this Bart has always been Johns' consistently worst-written character. This just takes it to a whole new level.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even at his most emo-y (after having a dupe die on Apocalypse comes to mind) Bart was never like what he was portrayed in this comic.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Were there two killers in the beginning? In one panel as he/them reach for the chemicals one arm is coming from the lower left, and the other is entering the panel at an angle from the upper right. Try to recreate that position yourself, why would anyone contort themselves like that just to grasp objects that are right in front of them, and who's arms are that long?

Several panels later a left arm is pointing in one direction, and in what appears to be seven or eight feet in the other direction, is a right arm - they're spaced wildly apart - and yet it appears as though we're viewing the panel from the perspective of a single person.

Is this all by design, or is EVS's work still flawed in amateur ways?

Teth on
  • Options
    Kaiser4149Kaiser4149 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought it was strange that on one page Barry is telling Hal that the other three speedsters are enough, and the world doesn't need him now. Then as they're leaving the museum, he changes his attitude to "THE WORLD NEEDS MEEEEEEE!"

Kaiser4149 on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read it and thought it was crap. When even the writers are having trouble finding a reason for the character to exist, you know there is trouble.

I'm biased though because I don't think Barry should have ever been brought back in the first place.

Rans on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Interview with Geoff Johns on io9:

Best answer so far:
    Q. Why bring back Barry Allen?
    A. Because the world needs heroes.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Interview with Geoff Johns on io9:

Best answer so far:
    Q. Why bring back Barry Allen?
    A. Because the world needs heroes.

No, it's really not. Not for comic book writers.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sarcasm!!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I tend to prefer, "Because there were good stories left to tell."

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Why the fuck not?"

Teth on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "No one was buying Wally's book anymore. We had to try something!!"

Rans on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't have a problem with legacy characters. But the problem is that even on a single character, continuity can become really convoluted and messed up over many years and many writers. Throw in multiple characters with the same name, each one having different personality quirks and you have a situation that will almost inevitably lead to an eventual melt down.

The sad truth is that the Flash comics were pretty much at this point. With 4 different Flashes, the brand was suffering from a variety of problems. They had as many as 3 or 4 writers on the book in the last couple years. Not to mention an aborted relaunch and some really bad crossover appearances.

At this point, a complete overhaul, even with some seemingly unnecessary retcons, might be the only way to salvage the entire line and bring back some fans. Yes, there are still a few dedicated Flash fans that will read the book no matter what. But DC needs to bring in a new generation of readers to this book to maintain its profitability.

5 years ago, a better solution would have been to simply put an A-List writer on the book, give him or her total creative liberty, and let that person run wild for a long duration of time. The problem is that much of the recent Flash stuff seems to have been driven by editorial mandate, and that kind of things scares the good writers away.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I reread the issue again to give it a second chance, and in my opinion this is Johns first "miss" as far as retooling a character is concerned. Just my opinion, it was cliche, trite, as others pointed out the new direction for Barry doesn't feel authentic but rather blase and based more upon his gathered legend than source. I never thought I would say this about a Johns book, but it was kind of boring. And I really like the Flash, EVS, Johns, and the entire Flash cast (hero, supporting character, and rogue).

I'll wait and see if this bitch has legs in #2 before I drop it.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Badass cover to #4 revealed:
    flsrebcv4resized1246736.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That is a pretty badass cover.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It certainly is, but if you look at the image just right it just looks like the Flash wearing a full bow tie/lab coat ensemble over his costume. Thus making it more badass.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hey! barry allen wears lifts! awesome.

DeJesus on
  • Options
    DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with legacy characters. But the problem is that even on a single character, continuity can become really convoluted and messed up over many years and many writers. Throw in multiple characters with the same name, each one having different personality quirks and you have a situation that will almost inevitably lead to an eventual melt down.

The sad truth is that the Flash comics were pretty much at this point. With 4 different Flashes, the brand was suffering from a variety of problems. They had as many as 3 or 4 writers on the book in the last couple years. Not to mention an aborted relaunch and some really bad crossover appearances.

At this point, a complete overhaul, even with some seemingly unnecessary retcons, might be the only way to salvage the entire line and bring back some fans. Yes, there are still a few dedicated Flash fans that will read the book no matter what. But DC needs to bring in a new generation of readers to this book to maintain its profitability.

5 years ago, a better solution would have been to simply put an A-List writer on the book, give him or her total creative liberty, and let that person run wild for a long duration of time. The problem is that much of the recent Flash stuff seems to have been driven by editorial mandate, and that kind of things scares the good writers away.

Not trying to offend but i can't say i agree with you. I don't think a good writer fixes the book, and i don't think retconning flash into a brand new baby makes him an interesting character.

I am not the biggest flash fan. I like some of the old stuff i've read with time travel, and running with jay garrick and some of the stuff that was happening with the speed force, but over all flash is just a guy who runs fast. He's great as a part of the justice league, but i can't think of anything in the last few years that has been remotely interesting in the flash books. The whole thing has been a mess. I'd say the long history is the most interesting part. And that's barry allen.

The reason no creative team stays on the book is probably because the book doesn't sell well, and dc tries to reset without too much trouble.

Look at what marvel is doing with iron fist and ghost rider. complete resets, with huge backstories instead of throw away issues and silly surprises (like children with stupid powers to take care of who often seem to vary in emotional age from 2 to 12). honestly if that is what happens with this new old flash, i could actually be entertained. John's Hal jordon ideas made green lantern the best thing going in dc.

When it comes to any of the flashes, i like them better in a team book. wally was boring as flash, then bart was even more boring. barry will probably be pretty boring as the flash, but i have a feeling like he's not going to stay. either way i'll give it a shot, and hope i like it.

DeJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The one thing Geoff Johns does really well is plan for the long term. Whether people care for Barry Allen or not, chances are that Johns already has stories planned for a year to come, or more.

The direction he recently took the Superman books is really cool, and he's been working up to it for a long time. Same with his Green Lantern stuff. Johns is a long term planner, and I think his Flash relaunch has a good chance of success, because he's probably got a pretty solid game plan.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read the first issue of Rebirth. It was pretty good. I actually like Wally a LOT better than Barry, (and I was kind of the same way with Kyle over Hal, given where we were with them at the time), but GJ hasa a pretty good track record, so I'm willing to see where this goes. I enjoyed issue 1, although I didn't think it was earth-shaking or anything. Interesting though, and I liked
    When Barry accidently killed that douche-bag that tried to "rule" the speedforce, cuz I'll be honest, I HATED that guy.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to reserve judgment until #2 comes out

This one didn't leave a great taste in my mouth but I'm willing to give Johns the benefit of the doubt right now

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Best All Flash #1 review so far, from John Byrne:
    "What the _____ happened to Geoff Johns? There was a time when he seemed to know what he was doing!"

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't really take that seriously, as John Bryne hasn't known what he was doing for the past 10 years.

In other news

000yhtga

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Johns is going to kill XS, just wait.

That's the last you'll see her smiling.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He'd damn well better not.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Think about all his other works.

He always brings back the bigger characters just to kill off smaller ones to make bad guy x seem like a serious threat.

It can also explain Bart being a whiny brat in Rebirth. His favorite cousin got her head punched off by his arch nemesis having a temper tantrum. Superboy being rehabilitated on the corpses of smaller characters, that's where Johns will go with it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can't make me believe it!

(Sob)

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh hey I have a question

How is Bart back?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We don't know yet. It's happening in Legion of the 3 Worlds.

Fencingsax on