As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Blackest Night: And the Dead Shall Rise (and Receive Power Rings)

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
The Blackest Night is coming. I figured I would go ahead and start a thread for this, since it is a DCU event and also because the Green Lantern thread is almost at its end.

WARNING: This thread is about an event which has not yet happened and will contain many spoilers and speculation. Read at your own risk.

Note: If you are posting a spoiler, please use the spoiler tags AND mark it as being a real spoiler.

Blackest_Night.jpg

What is the Blackest Night?

It is the upcoming DC mega event of 2009. It is largely a Green Lantern event, but it promises to be much bigger in scope and will encompass a lot more of the DCU than simply the Green Lanterns.

What's it about?
The Blackest Night is a a part of the "War of the Light" which is an ongoing saga in the Green Lantern books. It is also the prelude to Brightest Day, which will be another event at another time, farther down the road.

The Blackest Night is an event fortold by Abin Sur and was written in the forbidden pages of the book of OA, never to be read again. If you want to read the original fortelling, it can be found in the trade titled "DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore." Geoff Johns, the writer and architect of the Blackest Night event has long been building upon a foundation laid by Alan Moore more than 20 years ago.

Plot Recap: What we know thus far. . .
The Sinestro War was the first act in the War of the Light. In this series, Geoff Johns laid the foundation for the War in which many new lantern corps were born, and a war for the universe is waged among the different colors of the spectrum.

In Rage of the Red Lanterns, we saw the birth of the Red Lantern corps, and also the Blue Lanterns. The Red Lanterns, led by Atrocitus, want to bring revenge upon the Green Lanterns and also against Sinestro. It was only through the timely intervention of the Blue corps that both Hal Jordan and Sinestro were saved.

In Agent Orange we learn of an eons old entity, named Larfleeze, who is in possession of the Orange Lanten. It is because of a deal the Guardians made with Larfleeze that the Vega system has been off limits all this time. As events would unfold, the boundary of the Vega system was broken and Larfleeze is now on the loose. He wants a blue ring of his very own.

Meanwhile, on Oa, a Guardian named Scar has been secretly working to undermine the work of the Guardians and bring about the events foretold in the forbidden book of Oa. Also, there was a prison breach on Oa, brought about by some raging Red Lanterns, and most of the captured Sinestro Corps and other prisoners of the GLCs have escaped or died.

All hell is breaking loose in the Galaxy, and the dead will soon rise.

Blackest Night Checklist

Blackest Night #0-8

Green Lantern #43-

Green Lantern Corps #40-

Tales of the Corps #1-3

Blackest Night: Superman #1-3
Blackest Night: Batman #1-3
Blackest Night: Titans #1-3

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1-3
Blackest Night: Flash #1-3
Blackest Night: Justice Society of America #1-3

The Lanterns Corps:
Green Lantern Corps - Willpower
Sinestro Corps - Fear
Red Lanterns - Rage/Anger
Blue Lantern Corps - Hope
Star Sapphires (pink) - Love/Lust
Agent Orange - Greed
Indigo - Compassion
Black Lanterns - No emotion / Death

Promo Picture:
GL046.jpg

The Dead List: These characters are known to be deceased in the DCU and I will denote if they are confirmed to be returning as Black Lanterns. (SPOILERS!)
Martian Manhunter -- confirmed Black Lantern
Superman of Earth-2 -- confirmed Black Lantern
Aquaman -- confirmed Black Lantern
Ronnie Raymond (Firestorm) -- confirmed Black Lantern
The Anti-Monitor -- confirmed Black Lantern (he's the central battery)
Pa Kent
Ted Kord (Blue Beetle)
The Question (Vic Sage)
Thomas and Martha Wayne
Kyle Rayner's mom
Ralph and Sue Dibny
Abin Sur
Bzzzt
Inertia

Recommended Reading List:
I will use asterisks (*) to denote importance of reading. No asterisk means it is optional and not directly related to the story. Three asterisks means it is directly related and is of utmost importance. The in between numbers signify importance to a lesser degree.

The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke. This book is unrelated to Blackest Night except that it is a wonderful introduction to the DC Universe. If you are new to the DCU and want to gain a basic understanding of the characters and origins of many of the key players, I would suggest starting here. This is basically the best introductory primer to the DCU in existence.

*DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. A collection of many of the single issues and comics written in the 1980s by Alan Moore, this book contains several Green Lantern Corps stories which are both directly related to the Blackest Night event as well as being generally good reading to understand some of the Green Lantern characters.

**Green Lantern Rebirth by Geoff Johns. This is the official beginning of the Geoff Johns era of Green Lantern. If you want to start at "the beginning" and read to current, this is where you should begin. Rebirth was written in 2004.

*Green Lantern Corps: Recharge by Geoff Johns and Dave Gibbons. This book follows Rebirth and is a story about the rebuilding of the Green Lantern Corps. If you want to know who the current members of the Corps are, this is a good book to read.

***The Sinestro War by Geoff Johns and various others. This is the start of the War of the Light, and I would consider it to be the most essential reading of all to understand the Blackest Night.

*Infinite Crisis by Geoff Johns. This story was the DCU mega event of 2005 and many of the characters established in this book will be important in the Blackest Night.

*Final Crisis by Grant Morrison. The 2008 major event, this story will have a direct impact on events in Blackest Night in 2009.

**Green Lantern: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns. This is a 7 issue arc that is a good jumping in place if you want to read a Hal Jordan origin story. Also, it contains a retelling of the Blackest Night prophesy and contains a lot of good character development for Sinestro and some of the other villains as well.

**Rage of the Red Lanterns by Geoff Johns. This arc is still in progress. It is setting up the Red Lantern Corps as one of the major players in the ongoing War of the Light.

Green Lantern issues 1-37. Honestly, the best way to prepare yourself is to just read the entire Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern. (Still ongoing)

Green Lantern Corps 1-32. This is the other Green Lantern monthly. Also worth reading the entire run, as it is very good. (Still ongoing)

Lucascraft on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Character Bios

BN_Hal.jpg
    Hal Jordan - He is the Green Lantern. He has a long and complicated history. He was a villain for a while, known as Parallax. He was the Spectre for a while and was the Vengeful Hand of God. Now he's back to being a Green Lantern. He has a lot of history with the various villains in the Green Lantern books. He is also among the most powerful of GLs. He is known for being reckless and foolish, although he himself sees it as being fearless.

BN_Kyle.jpg
    Kyle Rayner - The Torchbearer. Kyle was the Green Lantern while the Corps was in shambles. He was the last hope of the Guardians and was the sole Lantern during the darkest period of the Corps' history. After the Corps was revived, Kyle became Ion for a while and was the living avatar of willpower. He is now a member of the elite GL Honor Guard and is Guy Gardner's partner. In his spare time Kyle is an artist and painter.

BN_Guy.jpg
    Guy Gardner - Guy is arrogant and undisciplined. He has broken nearly every rule of the Corps and is almost always at odds with the Guardians. But beneath his hard exterior, Guy is a fiercely loyal defender of his friends and fellow corpsmen. He was the first member of the Honor Guard due to his bravery and leadership during the events of GLC: Recharge.

BN_JohnStewart.jpg
    John Stewart - The intellectual lantern. John is the most even tempered of all of the human Green Lanterns. He is slow to anger and likes to think everything through. His constructs are the most complex and realistic of all the earth corpsmen. He is the current sitting GL in the Justice League of America. He is Hal Jordan's partner in sector 2814 and he was one of the few people who believed in Hal when he returned from the dead.

BN_Sinestro.jpg
    Sinestro - Known once as the greatest Green Lantern of all time, he was stripped of his rank for controlling his sector through fear. He was Hal Jordan's mentor and at one time his best friend. Jordan was instrumental in the capture of Sinestro. Sinestro formed his own lantern corps, the Sinestro Corps. The members of this corps use their power rings to spread fear throughout the universe. He was the chief villain of the Sinestro War, and is currently sentenced to die on OA for his crimes against pretty much everybody.

BN_Atrocitus.jpg
    Atrocitus - He is the leader of the Red Lanterns. He is very angry. He's angry at Sinestro for his earlier imprisonment and crucifixion. He is mad at Hal Jordan be cause he is Abin Sur's successor, and he hates Abin Sur. If you want to read about this character, read Secret Origin and also Rage of the Red Lanterns.

BN_Ganthet.jpg
    Ganthet - Originally a member of the Guardians of the Universe, Ganthet was exiled because of his beliefs. He is one of the few Guardians that "get it" and he was a chief player in the Green Lantern Rebirth story. He has a long history with Hal Jordan and is one of the only Guardians that Jordan trusts. Currently, Ganthet is the leader and founder of the new Blue Lantern Corps. He wants to spread hope throughout the universe, and he wants Hal Jordan to be his champion.

BN_SaintWalker.jpg
    Saint Walker - The first member of the Blue Lantern Corps. He was sent by Ganthet to recruit Hal Jordan into the Blue Lantern Corps. He is also tasked with the mission of recovering and protecting Sinestro. Saint Walker has shown us that one of the abilities of the Blue Lanterns is that they can supercharge the rings of other corps, specifically, he has supercharged Hal Jordan's Green power ring.

BN_Scar.jpg
    Scar - Once a member of the Oan Guardians of the Universe, Scar was disfigured during the Sinestro War. She has been the narrator and focal point of the Origin and Omens back-up features. Her agenda and motivations are unclear, but it is certain that she's up to no good. She has been foretelling many ominous things from the Black Book.

BN_Mongul.jpg
    Mongul - Mongul is a brawler and a tyrant. He has taken over the Sinestro Corps in Sinestro's absence. He currently is in control of 10 Yellow Power rings (one for each finger). His purpose is not clear at this time, but he has been a major player in the Green Lantern books since the Sinestro War.

BN_CarolFerris.jpg
    Carol Ferris - Carol is the current president and CEO of Ferris Aircraft, which is a civilian aircraft company that contracts with the US Government. She was a long-time girlfriend of Hal Jordan and has recently become interested in him again since his return to life. Carol was inducted into the Star Sapphires and uses the power of Violet light to spread love throughout the universe.

BN_Larfleeze.jpg
    Larfleeze - Also known as Agent Orange, Larfleeze is the only member of the Orange Lantern Corps. Being the sole ring-bearer, he commands an amazing amount of power from the central orange power battery. Larfleeze converts people he kills into constructs that he channels when he uses his ring.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If this does not end with earth basically giving a big fuck you to the GLs, or at least the guardians, I will be severely disappointed.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought I heard something about
    Ronnie Raymond
    getting a BL ring.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm... I would think Superboy deserves a place in your deceased list.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, he slipped my mind. When I was planning this thread, I had a whole shitload of deceased in my mind, but as I began writing, they all went away.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought the Anti-Monitor got turned into the Black Lantern battery.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, he slipped my mind. When I was planning this thread, I had a whole shitload of deceased in my mind, but as I began writing, they all went away.

There is also Kyle Rayner's mom, his ex girlfriend, and Jade.

I think Kyke's mom might have potential as a Black Lantern, along with Robin's father.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    Green Lantern Corps: Recharge by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi.

It's by Geoff Johns and Dave Gibbons.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Captain Boomerang
    Ralph and Sue Dibny
    The Question
    Harbinger

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    Look there are a lot of dead characters in DC

let's leave it at that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The Question is already on the list.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    woops.

I really would like to see Harbinger, though. She went out like a bitch in Superman/Batman.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haven't read anything current in a while. Is Bart Allen not dead anymore or for some other reason intelligible? Because not seeing him on that list is getting my hopes up.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kitten wrote: »
    Haven't read anything current in a while. Is Bart Allen not dead anymore or for some other reason intelligible? Because not seeing him on that list is getting my hopes up.
    Lo3W

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This has a lot of potential to be totally awesome.
    (too poor to read GL books right now)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Lo3W

Well damn, was really expecting the answer to be no.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Bart Allen's status is unknown. I have not read LO3W yet, but my understanding is that he appeared alive again as Kid Flash in the future. He isn't dead, but he also is not yet back in regular DC continuity. Expect to see him make a full comeback in Flash Rebirth.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lo3W is in continuity as far as I know, considering it tied in directly with Final Crisis. Which makes Bart Allen alive.

Is it wrong that I want to see Superboy and Robin's dad come back as Black Lanterns? Why do we always want to hurt the ones we love...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope Kyle actually does something here and isn't just Hal's Backup Guy #2

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I guess my use of the word continuity wasn't correct. I should have said that Bart is not yet back in the DC "present." He is in the future right now. He is alive in continuity, but he isn't all the way back yet. He's getting back.

Edit: Updated my second post with a few character bios. I will do a few more later.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I find your dick slobbering on Hal off-putting. Calling him "the" Green Lantern? Kyle is the fucking Torch Bearer motherfucker!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just a point, Lucas - in the bio of Atrocitus you say 'he is Abin Sur's predecessor' - I think you meant to say 'successor'.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yep, thank you. Fixed.

And Hal Jordan *is* the Green Lantern. If you read an issue of "Green Lantern" it is about Hal Jordan. Therefore he is it. Yes, Kyle was "the" Green Lantern in the past, yes he has done some cool things and he was Ion. But now he's just a member of the Corps. He does not have a solo book anymore. It isn't dick slobbering. Its just statement of fact.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yep, thank you. Fixed.

And Hal Jordan *is* the Green Lantern. If you read an issue of "Green Lantern" it is about Hal Jordan. Therefore he is it. Yes, Kyle was "the" Green Lantern in the past, yes he has done some cool things and he was Ion. But now he's just a member of the Corps. He does not have a solo book anymore. It isn't dick slobbering. Its just statement of fact.

I disagree completely. Hal Jordan is "A" Green Lantern, just like John and Guy and Kyle. Only Kyle and Guy are members of the honor guard. So :P

But, otherwise, nice OP. Kind of ambitious though, if you ask me.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry, I plan on doing bios of the other human lanterns. I just wanted a break. I'm also gonna do a Star Sapphire bio and when Agent Orange is revealed, I will do a bio of him.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yep, thank you. Fixed.

I disagree completely. Hal Jordan is "A" Green Lantern, just like John and Guy and Kyle. Only Kyle and Guy are members of the honor guard. So :P

You're deluding yourself. Whether we like it or not, Hal is the star of Green Lantern, Hal was the star of the show where GLs were concerned in Final Crisis, Hal is the one who's going to be heading up his own variant of the JLA.

Hal is indeed *the* Green Lantern as far as the DC Universe is concerned. The other human GLs are all still important and stuff, they're still interesting characters, but not one of them is the face of the Green Lantern Corps anymore.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    jestjest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought
    Ted Kord survived in Booster Gold? It's been a long time since I've read that series and I don't really remember how it ended, but I thought Johns said somewhere that he did survive.

jest on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Yep, thank you. Fixed.

You're deluding yourself. Whether we like it or not, Hal is the star of Green Lantern, Hal was the star of the show where GLs were concerned in Final Crisis, Hal is the one who's going to be heading up his own variant of the JLA.

Hal is indeed *the* Green Lantern as far as the DC Universe is concerned. The other human GLs are all still important and stuff, they're still interesting characters, but not one of them is the face of the Green Lantern Corps anymore.

That's just Geoff Johns bullshit... YOU don't have to buy into it if you don't want to. Kyle has done more for the GLC then Hal has ever done. Well, actually, Hal did the exact opposite of Kyle and fucking destroyed it. So, if you wanna talk who's the better Lantern, the choice is clear.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i like Johns' Green Lantern series and general direction of the franchise despite Hal Jordan being the lead.

Rans on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hal is incredibly boring and lame, you see

Rans on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah, I know... I like pretty much everything Johns does too...

I just hate Hal so very much!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    I thought I heard something about
    Ronnie Raymond
    getting a BL ring.
    Geoff Johns confirmed it in ToyFare.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Lo3W

Well damn, was really expecting the answer to be no.
    Bart came back last week in Legion of Three Worlds. Currently he's in the future but the Flash Rebirth preview (and interviews with Johns) shows he'll be back in the present

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This really makes me want to start reading GL stuff.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's just Geoff Johns bullshit... YOU don't have to buy into it if you don't want to. Kyle has done more for the GLC then Hal has ever done. Well, actually, Hal did the exact opposite of Kyle and fucking destroyed it. So, if you wanna talk who's the better Lantern, the choice is clear.

Sinestro.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jest wrote: »
    I thought
    Ted Kord survived in Booster Gold? It's been a long time since I've read that series and I don't really remember how it ended, but I thought Johns said somewhere that he did survive.

In a panel at some past con, when asked who the mysterious figure that showed up at Kord Industries holding a scarab was, Johns said something like, "I thought the laugh made it pretty obvious." Since the mysterious figure belted out a hearty, "Bwa-ha-ha!" and that was Ted's (and the whole JLI's really) signature laugh, it's very possible it was him. Or the Bwa-ha-ha could be taken to be a kind of maniacal, supervillain laugh.

Recently at NYCC, when asked if Ted would make it in as a Black Lantern, Johns just responded, "Done." Maybe he was joking, since I'm not sure if a pile of ashes and some broken goggles will make a good Lantern, or maybe he wasn't.

So who knows? It's possible Ted's stuck in the situation Barry Allen was a while back, where someone had planned to bring him back at one point, only for someone to get cold feet and nix the idea. But Jeff Katz, Booster Gold's co-writer seemed to think that yes, as of Booster Gold 10/1,000,000, Ted's alive and well again.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sinestro.

I'm sorry, the correct answer was Jack Chance... we were looking for Jack Chance...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pffft. Kilowog.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry, high five.

For all y'all bitch ass unbelievers, I refer you to examples A and B.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Sinestro.

I'm sorry, the correct answer was Jack Chance... we were looking for Jack Chance...

That's a joke, right?

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.