As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You've finally arrived... A Morrowind [Let's Play][NSf56k]

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gotta say I actually prefer the original morrowind heads to the better face mods you are using. Fargoth doesn't look as punchable with the new face.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    There is always a certain god...

This better be an option we can take near the end.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so a few things I want to address

One, the faces that UselessWarrior mentioned. What do other people think? I'm apathetic either way; I've gotten used to the new faces, but as for that, whatever the people want.

Two, and a question of more importance: For whatever reason, the fog is totally gone when I use MGE's distant lands. The lack of atmosphere is very unappealing to me, but I thought I'd ask you, the readers, what you thought.

With distant lands:
    212u9kz.jpg
    97t9xj.jpg
    2zhkv3t.jpg

Without:
    20frf9g.jpg
    24mgc3l.jpg
    xc3cyp.jpg

I also lowered the resolution so that screenshots would be easier to read.

piL on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honestly for the sake of a let's play I'm more of a fan of good ol' foggy Morrowind with the pretty classic pixel shaded water. Doesn't FPS optimizer just let you extend the fog a bit and keep the old water instead of all the fancy stuff that MGE does? Just an idea if you're not using any other features.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i just reinstalled morrowind and a bunch of mods, and i'm undecided about the distant lands stuff too. i wish the fog would form in the distance (like you think it would) instead of just rendering the far land with lower LOD or whatever. it also seems that once you activate distant lands, when you deactivate it you don't get the old water back.

edit: also, are you using the Better Clothes patch? when i go to load that it says that it was made for a different version of morrowind.esm

krylon666 on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It looks better with the fog.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

Is Fargoth the equivalent of the Adoring Fan in Oblivion?

Because i didn't find him as irritating, dude just lost his ring, poor guy :|

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The original faces in Morrowind are pretty wretched. And we won't be seeing much of Fargoth anyway, so that's not particularly a concern for me.

Agreed that the world looks better with some fog.

One last thing to add: you should spend some coin on a paralysis spell.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Id have to agree, it looks better with the fog. Looking real far is nice, its just so... Ughhhh without the fog. I dont care about the faces though.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm down for you hitting up the Mage Guild as well, I have just never done the Tribunal Temple quests myself, so it would be cool to see whats that is all about.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whats the difference between joining the cult and the temple?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The cult is the Empire's religion. Chapels are located inside imperial forts, the architecture of these chapels is a little more stonework like. The cult venerates the 9 divines (if you've played Obliivion, think Akatosh), along with the god-hero Tiber Septim

The temple is the religion of the Dunmer, and mainly venerates the three ascended gods of Morrowind. What will be cool about the temple is that it will give a lot of Morrowind specific information that will also be plot-relevant.

Quest wise, the temple is going to have me walk around a metric fuckton before I can get to the meat of the quests, and I'll be "following in the footsteps" of the divines, especially Vivec. You'll also do some things like cure sick people, and help parishioners. Imperial Cult's a little more clericy: collecting arms, healing the sick.

piL on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    piL,

There is some patch/addon for MGE that lets you use fog with it (at least on foggy days). I saw it the other day when looking up information on MGE. I'd try and find it for you, but I am at work so all that stuff is going to be blocked.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote fog. To me, the fog isn't a result of the limitations of the engine, it's because Vvandenfell is foggy.

If you want some extra graphics stuff without losing the fog, the "morrowind FPS optimizer" is what I use. But I also use a shitton of texture and mesh replacement mods.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Part of the core experience of Morrowind is peering through the foggy, ash-laden sky as you hear those god damn flying pterodactyl monsters coming for you.

pantsy on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't care what you guys say, the game is so much better without fog. I remember fumbling around in the fog trying to find some dungeon or NPC with the vague directions the game gives you. Without fog I can actually see where I'm going without unnecessary effort. And it doesn't look bad either. Some of the views are really nice.

Food on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kaare Klevin's Cliff Racers mod is probably the one must have mod for Morrowind.
    Description: "Cliff Racers(/-blighted or diseased) will not attack unless you attack first or are trying to Soultrap them."

I'm just not down with Cliff Racer extinction, but fuck dealing with them when moving on foot.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think you should spend your money on mark and recall. They're way too useful not to have.

seabass on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I don't care what you guys say, the game is so much better without fog. I remember fumbling around in the fog trying to find some dungeon or NPC with the vague directions the game gives you. Without fog I can actually see where I'm going without unnecessary effort. And it doesn't look bad either. Some of the views are really nice.

I think for me it's more of a deep primal attachment to that pixel shaded water. I tried MGE with all the fancyness on, and it does look really nice with depth of field and HDR and all that, but romping around Seyda Neen with that water just isn't the Morrowind I knew and loved.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Kaare Klevin's Cliff Racers mod is probably the one must have mod for Morrowind.
    Description: "Cliff Racers(/-blighted or diseased) will not attack unless you attack first or are trying to Soultrap them."

I'm just not down with Cliff Racer extinction, but fuck dealing with them when moving on foot.

I went from Balmora to some dungeon for a quest, and by the time i got back i had 20 cliff racer wings or whatever they drop. That's not counting the ones that didn't leave me anything. Also, conjure spear, and i get the best regular spear available? why does anyone bother carrying weapons?

Although i'm not complaining, what else would i be killing? kwama foragers? rats? BORING. I like the idea that cliff racers are going extinct due to their tendency to attack everyone :P

Oh and my computer burst into flame last night while i was playing Morrowind, it was horrifying for a minute until i realised it was just some cheap and fixable wiring, but i forgot to save :|

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    seabass wrote: »
    I think you should spend your money on mark and recall. They're way too useful not to have.

This. I might recommend getting the multi-mark mod as well. Although I have a habit of using all the fast travel options whenever I play, not too much is far away by boat, silt strider, mage guild, or fortress.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, this post will be covering the longest period of time yet. One of the most common complaints about Morrowind is the amount of walking. You folks signed me up for the walk all-over-the-place quest line. Which I guess is actually a good idea, since nobody probably would want to do this quest on their own. This is actually pretty nice, because I get to show off a few routes, meaning later I can just go there, and don't have to worry about screenshotting the way.

CTD Count: 3

Let's Begin
    Chapter 2: First thing, Pilgrim
    Part 2: Stop the Moon

2rh7oeq.jpg
    Caius: First thing, pilgrim. You're new. And you look it. Here's 200 drakes. Go get yourself a decent weapon. Or armor. Or a spell. And second thing... you need a cover identity. Around here, freelance adventurer is a common profession. Sign on with the Fighters Guild, or Mages Guild, or Imperial cult, or Imperial legion, advance in the ranks, gain skill and experience, or go out on your own, look for freelance work, or trouble. Then, when you're ready, come back, and I'll have orders for you.

hwenur.jpg
    Hejka, what'll you do? What can you do? The fighter's guild has money, but the simpletons wouldn't know a gifthorse if it set them on fire. The cult? I'm not sure they have much to offer for me. The legion? Guard duty is for dullards.

155lbuc.jpg
    To be honest, the Mages' Guild seemed like the only option. It's what I'm best at--where my training lies. But then it hit me. Hejka, you're a spy now. Act like one. I pondered this. Where could I go that would benefit me the most? This is a strange and foreign land; where can I learn of it?

16gepn6.jpg
    Hejka, you deviant. Both the temple and the cult have a variety of services that could help me in my travels. But the temple had something that the cult didn't--the temple knew Vvardenfell and Vvardenfell knew the temple. How I could be free to ply the land's secrets under the guise of faith. delightful

20gmhc3.jpg
    25ho1dv.jpg
    I asked around, and was pointed into the direction of a Feldrelo Sadri. The acolytes found my interest in becoming a member of the temple very surprising, but they were more than happy to welcome a free argonian into the faith.

34p19xe.jpg
    fmt9gl.jpg
    16lb9s.jpg
    I asked about joining the temple, and what my duties as a member of the clergy would be. I would be a lowly Layman, but advancement was possible, even for an argonian. Feldrelo gave me a book called the The Pilgrim's Path.. I was to prove my faith by making the Pilgrimages listed inside. Very well, I thought, I shall pass your test. I thanked the priestess for her kindness, and stepped away.

2629s0y.jpg
    ohvdlk.jpg
    [OOC: I've just discovered that quite a few screenshots didn't make it. The contents of the book is linked above, however, so if you want to see the exact words, click the link and read to your heart's content. In the future, I will be linking books of interest; it's probably more comfortable to read through your browser than through screenshots anyway.]

I stepped away and opened the book. Lets start at the beginning. Where must I go to follow the trials of the Lord Vivec? The 'Fields of Kummu'? West of Suran? I remembered hearing from the patrons at the Corner Club that I could take a Silt Strider there. I smiled a toothy smile to a parishioner as I left. I think she was unnerved.

243j7rl.jpg
    I passed by the Mages Guild on the way out of the town. They still had services I could use. Guild guides could be especially useful in the future, and there was still the matter of training--I would receive no training from the temple until I had achieved a higher rank.

14xyst5.jpg
    Stepping inside, I spoke with the Ranis Athrys, Mistress of the Balmora Mages Guild. She eyed me carefully. I do not think she is a woman I can trust. In any event, joining was simple enough, and I was instructed to take a look at the Origin of the Mages Guild. I probably knew more about magery than this dunmer.

2itnfoh.jpg
    Still, even as an associate of the Mages Guild, I was welcome to a ration of supplies in exchange for my guild dues. Students of alchemy make these potions for classes, and they are distributed to members who can use them. They also offer a Scroll of Divine Intervention and of Almsivi Intervention. These useful scrolls transport the user to the nearest Cult and Tribunal temple, respectively.

2yty98g.jpg
    I headed downstairs to the trainers, and got a quick lesson in Alchemy. I was so rusty, Ajira thought I was a complete neophyte, but commented on how quickly I was seeming to pick it up. I didn't feel like making a correction. After taking another moment to make a few cheap spells that would serve me economically in my travels, I was ready to head out.

rud1zr.jpg
    Goodbye Balmora...

20z8unr.jpg
    Hello Suran!
    UESPWiki wrote:
    Suran is a medium-sized town situated on the coast of Lake Masobi in the north-east of the Ascadian Isles. Its architecture resembles a typical Hlaalu market town, complete with watchtowers and a small temple. It serves as the northern headquarters for Hlaalu slavers for the nearby plantations.

jj07pf.jpg
    Roxxanne, thou neednt illuminate thy crimson lantern this eve. I may need to stop by here some time when I'm not a clergyman. Not a lot to do here, stopped off to pick up some Muck since the book suggested I do that. The alchemist nodded knowingly, and assumed I was a pilgrim. I searched about to find a cheap mortar and pestle, to no avail.

35344uo.jpg
    Then, prepared for my journey, I headed off.

Travel shots, skip this if you don't care.
    34i0h0j.jpg
    etxird.jpg
    idc6lc.jpg

2nc4hgw.jpg
    Another conversation screenshot lost, I'll just summarize the events
    As I was walking, an argonian approached me. "Can you help me?" he asked of me.

Hejka: I've no idea. What do you need?
    Tul: I just recently escaped from a nearby plantation. They say a friendly redguard in Ebonheart helps escaped slaves. Will you help me?
    Hejka: As I understand it, you're proposing I break the law for no benefit to myself. Excuse me sir, but this is not my fight; take it to someone else.

Disgust took over his face, and he left me for the shadows after muttering what must have been some curse in Argonian--or whatever they speak. To be honest, I was insulted. Just because I happen to share similar blood, he thought he could come to me for asylum? Had I the chance again, I would make sure he knows the nobility of my parentage. I'll not risk that for some savage.

I continued on, encountering a few vermin whom I dispatched with my new spells. No magicka wasted; rats cooked just right! Of course, I sampled nearly ever flora I encountered. Such is my habit.

2v26yk9.jpg
    I ran into a man on the road, and decided to ask him of the road ahead. He told me the most dreadful story.
    2lwloux.jpg
    I promised to help him, since it fit with my role as a pilgrim, and I would probably need to dispatch the Kagouti anyway. What's a Kagouti?

aooldi.jpg
    That's a Kagouti.

2h7pijk.jpg
    I dispatched it, blood staining my robe and lips. Wiping my face clean, I proceeded to quaf a potion and mend my wounds with magic. I learned my first healing spell in conjuring classes; I gave the ugly orc girl a scroll of Summon Clannfear instead of Summon Scamp. It cut my tail in half before the instructor slaughtered it. The image came railing back as a scrambled to seal my wounds. Had the tusk penetrated the bonemold all the way, I wouldn't have been here to record this.

Prepared for the second one, I prepared spells and pushed ahead.
    2i8iu04.jpg
    54zvbk.jpg
    The results of the second were much better than the first. Near the two, this text was found.

2wekx8j.jpg
    Interesting, but of little consequence. I left it where it lied.

34xqjxw.jpg
    aw58j6.jpg
    beztdd.jpg
    After reuniting the two travellers, they gifted me with this trinket. I smiled and thanked them, promising to use it when it was most needed! I would be selling it to the first pawnbroker to cross my path.

9vk4ea.jpg
    2hxcegi.jpg
    Not far ahead was the Fields of Kummu shrine. I left the muck at the foot of the shrine. Whoever created these were very clever and masters of enchantment. Or something else; I would love to study one of these shrines to figure out how they bestow their magic upon pilgrims.

The Pilgrim's Path explains the next few shrines can be found in the city of Vivec, named for the god-ruler of Vvardenfell. I wouldn't be visiting him, but I would be visiting some fairly important sites.

14ybpmw.jpg
    Goodbye Suran!

33naser.jpg
    Hello Vivec!
    UESP Wiki wrote:
    Vivec is the largest city in Vvardenfell, a metropolis in a lagoon, complete with Gondoliers in their festive uniforms offering transport. Bridges and walkways create a maze that can be intimidating for new arrivals. Water is the dominant element, ever-present in the architecture, even inside. The entire city of Vivec is considered a holy place, as it is home to the Living God Vivec himself. The city is policed by special guards drawn from the militant order of the Temple, the Ordinators. It is comprised of nine districts, each made up of a large multi-tiered floating building, known as a canton, and the size of a town in and of itself.

2wg7nup.jpg
    Here's one of those Gondolier-men himself. Now on to this "To Stop the Moon" shrine. Apparently, Vivec convinced a moon to not crash into Vivec's new city. I wonder--

2pq8d1i.jpg
    Woah

r7nghx.jpg
    I picked up a rising force potion here to offer to the shrine.
    34xnj2o.jpg
    33e26vb.jpg
    The shrine cast a powerful, long levitate spell on me. I was pleasantly surprised. The nearby Shrine of Generosity cost me 100 gold and cast some skill ehancement on me as well. I forgot to take a screen shot of this. Whoops! The next shrine is located within the puzzle canal, and is said to represent the moment when Vivec gave his weapon to Mehrunes Dagon instead of fighting the unarmed Daedra. Though I severely doubt the accuracy of this report, I would need to make this pilgrimage as well. The priestess suggested I try the third tier, but would give me no further clue.

10q04zl.jpg
    It lead into a series of sewers. Some vermin were about and quickly dispatched; they couldn't even reach me.
    24ffl1w.jpg
    261hz0y.jpg
    It lead to a shrine which read "Breathe the Water of his Glory and the Way is Made Clear."
    15i26v9.jpg
    2jagtqp.jpg
    I looked about, and tried to decipher the meaning of this riddle. First, I took a drink of the water. No luck. Then, leaning forward, I took a deep breath just over the water. Again, no fortune. Finally, I submerged myself completely. The poor fool who set this up probably never expected an argonian to trip his trap. I can hold my breath for a very very long time.

357q0j5.jpg
    A bridge had appeared while my sight was obscured by the water. A neat trick; I know of no wizard in High Rock that could conjure such an object.

25aisrq.jpg
    A dremora! I was ready to fight it, but I knew this could be the end. Fortunately, he was in no such mood.
    10e1tes.jpg
    The nearby chest contained a number of silver longswords. Though I may have only needed two, I took all of them; they were valuable, and the dremora didn't seem to mind. He seemed mighty bored by the task set for him; who would cow a dremora into such service, I am not sure.

143p6xw.jpg
    16k9uvd.jpg
    Four down, three to go.

52gxhd.jpg
    The next stop was Gnisis, a long journey to the north of the island.

More travel pics!
    rsgaqv.jpg
    dvhe9k.jpg
    2gtq9mf.jpg
    29az1jm.jpg

9fwaok.jpg
    Goodbye Vivec
    2chuo76.jpg

2a95gzb.jpg
    Hello Gnisis!
    UESPWiki wrote:
    Gnisis is about as close to a big city as you'll find in Vvardenfell's north-western corner, and offers many of the comforts of home for city-dwellers on their first trip into the wild world. The town is primarily built around a large eggmine, with the various support buildings arrayed on the small plain below them. Oddly enough, there is a tiny Imperial fort as well, the northernmost in all of Vvardenfell.

The Shrine of Justice could be found inside the temple here in the center of town.
    33m03l5.jpg
    qn5zkm.jpg
    I purchased a Cure Common Disease potion from the priests nearby, and offered it to the Shrine. This was a strange shrine, and to be honest, I found it more interesting than the rest--at least visually. fn4why.jpg
    The center piece especially intrigued me.
    r0cuoz.jpg
    5ch7ol.jpg
    As I touched the potion towards it, the shrine opened up, and inside was the true suspended mask. I nearly stepped away when an acolyte suggested I put my fingers to it. Doing so, I felt a powerful sensation ripple across my body. I was suddenly aware of a spell I never recalled formulating. The acolyte smiled knowingly and called it, "Vivec's Touch" and explained it's curative properties. Intriguing, but I had other shrines to visit. I picked up a dreugh wax on the way out--I'd rather not tangle with a dreugh. I've seen one tear a man apart in the arena.

The next shrine was in a cave to the south of Gnisis. The journey was largely dull, except for a few Kwama that sought to make a meal of me. It's a wonder these creatures survive given how readily they hurl themselves at prey they cannot manage.

Travel pics
    orrpte.jpg
    1zdm6qa.jpg
    11uj29y.jpg
    2hx4xls.jpg16bf47b.jpg
    260ee5w.jpg
    A forboding building in the distance drew my attention, but I decided not in investigate. I figured nothing good would come of it. There's some badass shit in some of those; I don't think I would make it back out.
    2akdxmb.jpg
    ztsoz7.jpg

i6047t.jpg
    The cavern had a humble door which I opened quietly, ready to blast whatever lay behind.
    1eudxk.jpgFortunately, all that was there was a shrine.

One left. Ghostgate
    The book suggested I head there via Balmora, and I complied. But first, I bought a mortar and pestle, and consumed a great deal of my ingredients, selling the products.
    ogcldk.jpg
    I felt much more confident in my potion-making abilities, even if the majority of the potions were of little use. I ate a meal at the eight plates, a nix-hound stew, and left for Ghostgate.

Travel Pics
    j5zf2f.jpg
    2uymy5w.jpg
    2ah60ci.jpg
    2ymstoo.jpg
    1zwoq45.jpg
    332yqdi.jpg
    I trembled as I passed this ruin of obvious daedric origin. I wasn't sure it wouldn't be inhabited by some powerful holdovers. Fortunately, I met none on my path.
    an0adx.jpg
    The kwama I stumbled into, however, reminded me of an old technique used to more regularly prepare fire spells. This is a very good thing.
    2d18llt.jpg
    2rpr779.jpg
    2vi0a4w.jpg

wlucs6.jpgThis place is known for its horrific red storms, and I understand why they're considered so horrific. You cannot see a thing, and the dust is maddening. I could see the ghostgate looming on the horizon; it was erected to keep a god in, and I was to follow.

sgocxe.jpgj5knl1.jpg
    2hoh5oy.jpg
    Getting in was easy enough. The shrine should be just inside.

281hf7m.jpg
    2q80wsj.jpg
    The soul gems I received from the Mages Guild were plenty enough for the shrine, and I was bestowed with a daylong shield spell. Conspicuous, and yet welcome. I quickly retreated from Ghostgate and returned to Balmora.

59v7o5.jpg
    2lj58oz.jpg
    Feldrelo seemed surprised that I followed through. Upon that, she bestowed upon me the title of Acolyte. She could see the weariness in my eyes and sggested I take a rest. I quickly assented.

161huzr.jpg
    I headed over to the corner club, and pondered what I had seen on my travels. I met several denizens, assisted a few, turned my back to others. I visited several cities, and had a feeling that my travels helped me learn the lay of the land. I know now, for example, that Kagouti should be avoided. I've found few useful flora, but interesting properties in many of those that I have found. Further research is necessary. Most importantly, however, are the powerful artifacts, if they can be called such, that I discovered on my journey. Each shrine is enchanted with powerful magic, and I suspect strong daedra were coerced into its construction. I wonder about this Vivec figure.
    200tclx.jpg

Now what?
    Character Sheet:
    Hejka            Major Skills
    Argonian Mage     Mysticism    40
    Apprentice        Destruction  39
                      Alteration   36
    Level  1 (11/10)  Illusion     40
    Health       35   Restoration  35
    Magicka     125  
    Fatigue     160  Minor Skills
                      Enchant      20
    Strength     40   Alchemy      30
    Intelligence 50   Unarmored    26
    Willpower    40   Short Blade  15
    Agility      50   Conjuration  20
    Speed        50
    Endurance    30  Misc Skills
    Personality  30   Block         5
    Luck         40   Armorer       5
                      Med Armor    10
    Reputation    0   Heavy Armor   5
    Bounty        0   Blunt Weapons 5
    Gold        112   Long Blades   5
                      Axe           5
    Factions          Spear        10
     Temple           Athletics    22
      (acolyte)       Security      5
     Blades           Sneak         5
      (novice)        Acrobatics   15
     Mages Guild      Light Armor   5
      (associate)     Marksman      5
                      Mercantile   11
                      Speechcraft   5
                      Hand-to-Hand  5

Skillups:
    Destruction +4
    Alteration +1
    Alchemy +5
    Unarmored +1
    Athletics +2
    Acrobatics +10
    Mercantile +6

I did stop and sell a few things, but the trip was somewhat expensive, and I spent more than I gained.

I've achieved the rank of acolyte in the temple, and plan to stay away from that for a while. So here's the voting options:

First, what stats get leveled up. Top two votes get their a-o-k. I'm going to go ahead and reserve intelligence, just to make sure I get some kind of caster buff.

Second: Am I ready for Caius's mission? Or should I spend some time working for the Mages' Guild first, just to make sure I'm ready?

Third: I'm going to start 'practicing' a couple of skill-ups per post I think, just to make up for the fact that if I just do missions, levelling might end up being so slow. So this level, should I practice Alteration, Restoration, or Destruction?

Edit: And I want to apologize for the delay. I'm sure you can imagine why I was putting this one off, however.

And replies:
    everyone: I'm happy about the fog being back in. I also sort of miss the pixel-shaded water.

Useless: I'll try to find that patch later, or look into Yougotta's fpsenhancer at some point.

JamesDM: That's rolled into a mod I have already that prevents a some of the basic wildlife from doing it. Mudcrabs are no longer out for blood either, I don't think. Slaughterfish still are, and they still hurt.

seabass and Valkun: I cannot wait for mark and recall. It will be so nice!

piL on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Willpower is always good for mages.
    Mages' Guild
    Destruction because while you can always rest to heal, not being able to kill things effectively sucks.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mages' Guild
    Destruction because while you can always rest to heal, not being able to kill things effectively sucks.

Im gona have to second all of this.

Willpower

Mages Guild

Destruction

Lagnar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »
    Mages' Guild

Im gona have to second all of this.

Willpower

Mages Guild

Destruction

I vote the same, except that I am in favor of Alteration

TL DR on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You need to wear the clothes of the wizard that falls from the sky for a while.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to have to echo Cous and Lagnar. Willpower is a good get. I'm always tempted by x5 ups, but it's Strength. Mages Guild will help with continuing the Alchemy training, and Destruction will be what you end up relying on a lot, I'd imagine. Best to up it early so you encounter less failures.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just realized I should explain how leveling works. I think everyone that's posted so far knows, but I don't want somebody who hasn't played to be left unable to participate.

When you level in Morrowind, you get to raise three of your eight stats. How much those stats go up when you select them is dependent on how many skills with that as their primary stat were raised, divided by two (rounded up I think but am unsure). So for example, acrobatics is strength based, and it went up ten points. That's why there's a x5 in Strength offered. Alchemy went up 5: 5/2=2.5 rounded up to a x3 bonus.

As far as I'm aware, you never get a multiplier for luck.

Krathorn: I would have to go back and get them. Are you saying I need a new robe, however? Money's tight, but if that's what the people want, I can see what I can do.

piL on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As everyone's said, do the most mage-y stuff.

Willpower
    Mages Guild
    Destruction

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is probably good anyway, because I need to be a bit more badass before I'd be comfortable doing Telvanni stuff, and I think I pretty much must do Tevanni stuff.

piL on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I don't know if the robe is better. I just thought it would be fun to run around with a robe and silly hat. I tried looking for stats on them, but could not find them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A robe shouldn't have any armor stats other than any enchantments it may have.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I recommend using the wiki for any questions on what stats the clothing and armor have:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Robes#Robes

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think his robe is an extravagant or expensive robe, so I think it's supposed to be prettier or something. Hats are rough; there are no wizards hats (which I'm okay with), and the hat he's wearing is dumb.

Edit: Voting's closed. Winners are obvious.

piL on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So this update is boring as fuck, I suppose, but necessary. Early mage guild quests have you doing such entertaining acts as, "Pick some flowers" or "Find some reports". They actually are kind of fun to do the first time, but they don't really make interesting stories to read. I also grinded some skills up to make up for the fact that nothing happens here. I hope nobody minds.

Chapter 2: First thing, Pilgrim
    Part 3: A way to reach the high places.

morc2p3_001169.jpg
    morc2p3_003235.jpg
    Caius wanted me to make sure I was prepared for his mission before I headed out. I still wasn't comfortable with my skills. When was the last time I practiced an Illusion? My last conjuration? I couldn't even recall. I needed to spend a while at the Mages' Guild and practice my arts. I've come a long way, but I'm still nowhere near my potential. This new land has breathed a new spirit into me; I must endeavor or perish.

morc2p3_101788.jpg
    morc2p3_023951.jpg
    As I was practicing illusion magicks, I was called to Ajira's desk. Ajira was a Kajiit mage, on the verge of attaining Journeyman rank, and according to the Guild Steward, I was to help her. When she asked me to recover mushrooms for her, I would have probably choked her then and there had I not already recovered a number of samples already. Still, I didn't want the guild to suspect I was any more than a lowly associate--I still had a cover to maintain.

morc2p3_027623.jpg
    So I went to the bar. Spoke with a fellow Argonian about Vvardenfell. She mentioned to me that the island is goverened by three of the five great houses, besides the imperial and tribunal influence: House Hlaalu, House Redoran, and House Telvanni. House Hlaalu has benefited most from Imperial administration of the island, and focuses on business and profit. If House Hlaalu is driven by progress, then Redoran is driven by tradition. The Redoran are pious individuals and known for their gravity. The Telvanni intrigued me the most. Powerful wizard-lords, the Telvanni are isolationist and tend to be concerned with gaining wisdom and power. They are entirely cutthroat, following a simple rule: "Might makes right."

morc2p3_035749.jpg
    I found all of this interesting, but we eventually had to part ways. I figured I had pretended to be picking mushrooms long enough, and returned to Ajira. She took the samples, and gave me four watery useless health potions for my trouble.

morc2p3_038488.jpg
    The pettiness of this mageling knows no bounds, however. Ajira called me in a couple of days later, while I was in the middle of Destruction exercises for her next task: to sabotage her fellow wizard, Galbedir. She wanted me to put a fake soul gem in her desk. I pocketed the soul gem, and did as ordered.

morc2p3_043329.jpg
    morc2p3_046218.jpg
    morc2p3_048595.jpg
    At least these assignments require less walking than the temple. The work complete, I went back to Ajira, who couldn't be bothered to bribe me with anything. Ajira also wanted some flowers to go with her mushrooms. I'm sure you can guess what that means. more missing screenshots; I wish I knew why it was doing this

morc2p3_053926.jpg
    4 hours, three pints, and

morc2p3_063999.jpg
    The Kajiit wanted a ceramic bowl. She was surrounded by bowls. She could get a bowl anywhere. I thought I might destroy her then and there. Instead, I took her ten gold, visited a general store, and returned to find Ajira in a fluster.

morc2p3_070329.jpg
    Apparently, Galbredir stole some reports of Ajira. Apparently Ajira needed some muscle to go up there and give her a thrashing. Ajira didn't agree, however, and simply wanted me to find them; I'm pretty sure I know a certain bosmer that if certainly set on fire would certainly reveal the locations of certain reports. It seems I would be removed from the mages guild for something like that.

I proceeded into a dialogue montage...
    morc2p3_074368.jpg
    morc2p3_075183.jpg
    morc2p3_082883.jpg
    To no avail.

morc2p3_085867.jpg
    But as I was heading back downstairs, I spotted something from the corner of my eye.
    morc2p3_086633.jpg
    That bosmer wasn't as clever as she thought she was. They rarely are. I proceeded to search around for the next one to no avail.

morc2p3_108129.jpg
    morc2p3_091608.jpg
    morc2p3_093570.jpg
    It wasn't until restoration practice that I spotted the other report. I quickly ran these back over to Ajira who was overjoyed to hear my news. Opening a locked compartment on her desk, she broke out the secret reserve, and actually gave me some quality potions. I was shocked to be honest, and thanked her in earnest.

morc2p3_098940.jpg
    It was then that her face took on a serious countenance that I hadn't seen before. She told me she knew I was no apprentice, but that it didn't matter. She knew that Morrowind was on the edge of the empire, and after here, there's nowhere further away to go, except maybe to disappear into the marshes. She warned me to be careful, and told me that there was something shady about Ranis--that I should seek out Edwinna Elbert. I thanked the Kajiit for her advice, and left to practice more.

morc2p3_110696.jpg
    morc2p3_115622.jpg
    When I went to bed that night, I awoke with a start. There was a loud crash upstairs, but the rest of the guild seemed to pay it no heed. I went to investigate.

morc2p3_118769.jpg
    morc2p3_121690.jpg
    A man in all black came barreling toward me, knife in hand. I quickly let a bolt of lighting fly from my fingertips. He kept charging at me, even plunged the dagger into my side, but I kept it up until I could smell the flesh burned to his armor. His boots were they only part not sticky with charred flesh.

morc2p3_126243.jpg
    morc2p3_127967.jpg
    morc2p3_133618.jpg
    I reported the event to a guard, but he said there was nothing he could do. By my description, the fellow seemed to be a member of the Dark Brotherhood, an organization I had only heard about as a child. I returned to my bunk, and spent the night at the Mages' Guild. No other attack came, but I spent the night in a state of ponderance, wondering who ordered my execution and why. I had no answer, but I assume that comes with the territory of being a Blade.
    morc2p3_150183.jpg

And then?
    Characer Sheet:

Hejka            Major Skills
    Argonian Mage     Mysticism    40
    Apprentice        Destruction  43
                      Alteration   36
    Level  2 (10/10)  Illusion     41
    Health       38   Restoration  36
    Magicka     133  
    Fatigue     168  Minor Skills
                      Enchant      20
    Strength     45   Alchemy      32
    Intelligence 53   Unarmored    26
    Willpower    43   Short Blade  15
    Agility      50   Conjuration  21
    Speed        50
    Endurance    30  Misc Skills
    Personality  30   Block         5
    Luck         40   Armorer       5
                      Med Armor    10
    Reputation    1   Heavy Armor   5
    Bounty        0   Blunt Weapons 5
    Gold        385   Long Blades   5
                      Axe           5
    Factions          Spear        10
     Temple           Athletics    22
      (acolyte)       Security      5
     Blades           Sneak         5
      (novice)        Acrobatics   15
     Mages Guild      Light Armor   5
      (evoker)     Marksman      5
                      Mercantile   13
                      Speechcraft   5
                      Hand-to-Hand  5

morc2p3_144178.jpg

Skillups:
    Destruction +3
    Illusion +1
    Restoration +1
    Alchemy +2
    Conjuration +1
    Mercantile +2

Everyone voted for Willpower, so there was no second place last time. I took the x5 strength, because I don't imagine I'll soon or often again have a huge strength multiplier. So I raised Strength, Intelligence, and Willpower. I think what I should take this level probably seems pretty obvious.

So now I think I should go ahead and do at least one part of the main quest, but I probably need to do Telvanni before I get too far entrenched in the main quest. So I'll ask now:

Am I ready for Caius's mission, or should I go investigate this Telvanni house that intrigues me so much?

With the money I have, I can purchase some utility spells. Should I acquire a soul trap spell and some soul gems, or should I go ahead and pick up mark and recall which will make my life considerably easier?

Finally, which of the followind skills should I practice: Conjuration, Mysticism, or Illusion?

I'm looking forward to progressing the main story some soon, but there's so much to do in the game, that there's a tendency to want to do it all first. It was a long long time after I got the game that I beat it. If I join the Telvanni in the next post, Caius's mission will be next.

piL on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Investigate House Telvanni.
    Pick up Mark and Recall.
    Practice your Mysticism.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    House Telvanni

mark and recall because it will allow you to sell loot faster.

Mysticism because it will help you teleport and use the soul gem cashcow spell.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I would say your Ready for Caius's mission

Mark and recall always helps, alot.

Mysticism is always useful aswell.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Caius' Mission now that you've got some reasonable cover for wandering all over the country side.

mark and recall because I don't hate you.

Mysticism for teleporting. Don't you need something like 50 to cast it relably?

seabass on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »
    I would say your Ready for Caius's mission

Mark and recall always helps, alot.

Mysticism is always useful aswell.

Seconded.

Also what spells are you using to practice skills, out of interest?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png