As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wii Hunt Info Thread.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My wife got me mine through wallmart online, and will add my name to the list of people with no problems whatsoever returning all the lame games.

Plus, my wife showed some interest in the trauma center that game with teh pack and I used that as an excuse to keep that game.

This was around mid december (arrived 22nd).

Then we had some friends come up from Tampa for new years and they brought their wiimote and some fun.

What really annoyed me is that he walked into a target in tampa, saw them in stock, went to work the next day and decided to pick up one the next day after work. The things sat in that target for at least 28 hours, only selling one. I guess they had 12+.

What is with tampa? He says the store was in a somewhat poor area of town so maybe that was it, but it was sure an odd story to me. He had no idea they were even hard to find until he came to orlando and could not find a second wiimote. He was stunned that we ddin't have him. He claims that same target had bunch on the wall

Smudge on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tabris wrote:
    I'd guestimate demand for the Wii is anywhere from 2x-3x demand for the PS3. I seriously doubt that demand will slack off anytime before the start of February.

Again, I say look at the prices on eBay. They're routinely going for $350-$375 now. After sales tax and eBay fees, the profit margin on Wiis is rapidly approacing $50 or less. And this is only likely to continue. And once eBay-hoarding is no longer particularly profitable, well then they'll only be easier to find, no?

End of January. I'd bet on it.

Now, I'm not saying you'll be able to walk into every store and pick one up off a pile at the end of January...just that with minimal calling around you'll be able to figure out which store in your area has a few in and pick one up. It'll take a couple days of looking around at most.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    just judging by the number of people i personally know who have now stopped searching (having found one) plus the less frequent and less panic-y pete posts i see from people i dont know (people on forums like this) than i would say you are correct.
    besides, that seems like a reasonable time for people and stores to acclimate to the supply and demand of a product like this.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey, ho does one change the volume settings on the wiimote?

I know they mentioned it in the wii secrets video on gamevideos.com but searching for wii secrets retardedly brings up everything pertaining to the wii and secrets for every game.

JJ on
  • Options
    cdlewiscdlewis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

I know they mentioned it in the wii secrets video on gamevideos.com but searching for wii secrets retardedly brings up everything pertaining to the wii and secrets for every game.

Hit the 'home' button on the remote. Then hit Wii Remote Settings.

cdlewis on
    Blackjacker.png

Took French lessons from Master Chief.
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Again, I say look at the prices on eBay. They're routinely going for $350-$375 now. After sales tax and eBay fees, the profit margin on Wiis is rapidly approacing $50 or less. And this is only likely to continue. And once eBay-hoarding is no longer particularly profitable, well then they'll only be easier to find, no?

Thign is, that doesn't include shipping costs. Wiis are definatly going down as far as bid prices, there's no denyin' that. But shipping costs are still pushing them at or over the 400 mark, and I know it doesn't cost 30 bucks to mail something the size and weight of a Wii.

Still. Downward trend = wiin, and I have seen a couple auctions end with (gasp!) no bidders. There's hope yet, no?

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Options
    KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuuuuuuck. I went to the mall today as part of my shopping trip using all the clothing gift cards I got. I decided to check in the EB Games, but figured I'd go to one other store first.

Finally head over to EB Games where I see two things. First, there is a kid walking out with a Wii. Second, a HUGE Nintendo box. Looks like they just got their Wii Kiosk and had it setup for maybe 20 minutes. There was hope. I walked over to the guy at the counter and asked if they had any more Wiis.

That kid walking out had the last one. They got 10 in today with the kiosk and sold them all out in about 10 minutes. If I had gone to EB Games first I probably would have a Wii right now.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    just saw a couple on ebay for 350 that went unsold. edit: with 0 bids.
    hope?!!?

so far im with the other folks who went out today to pretend to take my time getting to the store and royally screwing myself over.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am seeing plenty of Wiis that sell on eBay for damn near $400. Which is ridiculous.

The only way this is going to stop is if people quit buying Wiis off of eBay. Seriously, the only reason to buy a Wii off of eBay is because you can't find any in stores.... but you can't find any in stores because people keep buying the fucking things off eBay! It's a vicious, retarded cycle.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    everytime i check i see them going for closer and closer to 300 than 350 than yesterday.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dear Wii Hunters,

Don't bother with Duckwall-ALCO stores. For whatever reason, they do not even carry the Wii, despite selling Wii games, Xbox360 consoles, PS3 consoles, Gamecube consoles, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, and PSP handheld consoles. I'm not shitting you.

I just got back from the location nearest me, figuring I might find a Wii by some dumb luck as ALCO is a place most people don't shop unless they have to.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii Get!!!

I waited in EB today for 6 hours, where they were getting 3. I was #2. The employees were really cool, they put Ghostbusters on the big TV and gave us a bunch of free stuff for waiting. As opposed to Target who told me to wait till March.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    Tom_maliceTom_malice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think someone said that the E.B. in Aliston was getting 5 each monday or something like that. can anyone confirm this?

Tom_malice on
  • Options
    LeoDudeLeoDude Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WII GET!

After looking all over Springfield MO twice and getting nothing, I checked my walmart today and there was a lone Wii sitting there...

I adopted the little bastard :D

LeoDude on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For those of you who are lucking out with the recent shipments, how have the accessory stockpiles been like at the stores? I've had a Wii since launch, but have had no luck finding extra controllers. I'm wondering if the drought is still in place.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    For those of you who are lucking out with the recent shipments, how have the accessory stockpiles been like at the stores? I've had a Wii since launch, but have had no luck finding extra controllers. I'm wondering if the drought is still in place.

Not in Podunk. Wiimotes are in nearly every time I walk into Target and Wal-Mart, Classics every time, and Nunchuk's more often than not. Usually not large stocks, but obiously they're not too tough to get anymore.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I went on a road trip to Philadelphia, PA. One of the EB's there said they get a shipment of 2-3 wii's in every week. They haven't seen any wiimotes come in a bit though.

Still none in the Baltimore area, though I should start asking questions at Wal-Mart more, they may not be hoarding wii’s for the end of January.

john fechon on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Still none in the Baltimore area, though I should start asking questions at Wal-Mart more, they may not be hoarding wii’s for the end of January.

I'd be interested if you get any meaningful info out of that. I'm in the Washington Metro area but go to school around Baltimore and got my Wii at Glen Burnie.

I think that both areas are urbane enough for there to be a lot of demand, but possibly a pain to ship stuff to or just normally not considered priority markets.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So... Wii Tracker seems to be indicating that Wal-Mart stores should be receiving a shipment monday or tuesday. Any truth to that?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TSU0999TSU0999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii get!

Well stopped at the first Wal-Mart on my way home and they had sold out about 10 minutes before I got there, but luckily the Wal-Mart near my home had 3 left. I would have posted this last night but MediaCom can't seem to figure out what they're doing.
    So... Wii Tracker seems to be indicating that Wal-Mart stores should be receiving a shipment monday or tuesday. Any truth to that?

This is what my Wii seeker told me, but Wal-Mart did get shipments yesterday. So you're area might still get shipments on Monday/Tuesday, but many already got theirs. Now I need to find an extra Wiimote cause the wife said she'd never play it.

TSU0999 on
    ironmansig.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been hitting Best Buy every couple days and haven't even had any close calls yet.

Niceguy, how did you know EB was getting a shipment? I might wait around a store if I had some way of knowing they were getting some in =p

people who have gotten one lately - best results in the morning or evening?

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    W00t, i got one today. turns out the gamestop near me got in 10 or so. But sadly I learned that my router doesn't work with the wii, and I'll need to buy a whole new one or wait it out for a firmware update. damn.

Ya I dropped 40 on a refurbed netgear router to replace my older lamer netgear router just because my old one didnt work with my wii. When I get home I can check which one i got in case your curious.

Brue on
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I went on a road trip to Philadelphia, PA. One of the EB's there said they get a shipment of 2-3 wii's in every week. They haven't seen any wiimotes come in a bit though.

Which EB in Philly was it? (just because I'm curious)

etdragon on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Brue wrote:
    W00t, i got one today. turns out the gamestop near me got in 10 or so. But sadly I learned that my router doesn't work with the wii, and I'll need to buy a whole new one or wait it out for a firmware update. damn.

Ya I dropped 40 on a refurbed netgear router to replace my older lamer netgear router just because my old one didnt work with my wii. When I get home I can check which one i got in case your curious.

I dropped $50 on a brand-new Linksys WRT54G, at retail. Works just spiffy with both my Wii and my DS.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As I browse Wii consoles on eBay, I'm noticing that a lot of auctions that started out low or had no reserve are going for up to $350. But those that started at $299 with a Buy It Now of $399 don't have any bids and are ending in 5 minutes.

Looks like the extra-greedy people aren't getting what they hoped for.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cdlewis wrote:
    JJ wrote:

Hit the 'home' button on the remote. Then hit Wii Remote Settings.
    You can also just hit the 'Home' button and then hit the '-' or '+' and it'll automatically take you to the Remote Settings screen and adjust the sound depending on which button you hit.

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Best Buy has Wiimotes (but not 'chucks). Get 'em while they're hot.

Edit: Aaaaaand they're gone. Well that was fast.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Options
    TSU0999TSU0999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    people who have gotten one lately - best results in the morning or evening?

They seem to get their shipments in at about noon, or a bit after. Now usually they will sell their inventory when it comes in. So I don't have much to tell you only that shipments usually arrive at about noon, atleast this is true for the NE Indiana region.
    MrPsycohed wrote:

YES! Thank you, I went searching during my lunch break today and couldn't find any. Hopefully I ordered before they were all sold out. I also put down some money and my local EB for Wii Play.

TSU0999 on
    ironmansig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    MrPsycohed wrote:
    Sold out.

No big deal though. I'm waiting for Wii Play.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrPsycohed wrote:

Are those considered hot items?

I was in a Best Buy a few weeks ago and saw a bunch of them just sitting on hooks on an end cap..

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    MrPsycohed wrote:

I was in a Best Buy a few weeks ago and saw a bunch of them just sitting on hooks on an end cap..

someone posted a few pages back that out in podunk, there is no trouble getting a hold of them.
    but i guess that depends on where you were when you saw them.
    i journey this after to look once again for a wii.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    MrPsycohed wrote:

When the one I ordered arrives, it'll be the first time I'll have seen one here in Austin. Friend of mine lives in a little backwater town north of here and says he hasn't seen any yet either. Even when he got his Wii on launch day, there were none to be had. I can't speak for any place else, but they might as well be hen's teeth down here.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've seen ONE Wii-Mote "in the wild," and that was at Toys R Us on Black Friday (in the evening, no less). I wonder if it was returned or something.

I have seen one or two classic controllers here an there, but 'motes and 'chucks are nigh impossible to find here.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    My wife had no trouble aquiring three extra wiimotes and nunchucks by preordering them at EB Games. This strategy does not work for people?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    My wife had no trouble aquiring three extra wiimotes and nunchucks by preordering them at EB Games. This strategy does not work for people?
    I assume most people don't know you can preorder stuff after it's been released. I sure didn't.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:

Not in Podunk. Wiimotes are in nearly every time I walk into Target and Wal-Mart, Classics every time, and Nunchuk's more often than not. Usually not large stocks, but obiously they're not too tough to get anymore.

That's nuts because it is almost as difficult to accessories ... I see classic controllers (most ever was two or three) at random Wal-Marts, but there are no remotes or chucks anywhere ...

Also, I got lucky in my Wii search, after hitting 15 or so stores in the greater Southwestern PA area, I got my leg x-rayed at a hospital and lo and behold theres an EB across the street ... So I hobbled over and WAHOO they just got the shipment in ... I've never been so happy to get mail and check the weather

Edit: So yea I didn't know you could pre-order stuff after release ... Damn, I gotta go back out now and throw a few bucks down

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

Can you preorder.... Wiis?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

*Holds breath*

Darlan on
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:

I think they went over this in the Employee's Lounge, and the answer they came up with is an emphatic, "NO!"

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Boilerbird wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

I think they went over this in the Employee's Lounge, and the answer they came up with is an emphatic, "NO!"

I'm guessing it was more of an emphatic, "Get the fuck out of here, dumbass!"

mcdermott on
This discussion has been closed.