As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Restaurants and Things in Seattle

Alex_Digital_CowboyAlex_Digital_Cowboy Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
As a Brit, visiting the city with my best friends for the first time, we'd like to get an insider view on the best stuff to do in the city when we're not actually attending PAX. We're there from the third to the seventh and for a couple of us this is our first time in the USA. We want to make sure we eat like kings. Fat ones.

So does the city have any of these, and if so, are they worth checking out?

Tony Romas
P.F. Changs
Hooters
Applebees
Chilli's (If only for the Office connection)
A cereal bar (Kind of like an ice cream parlor but with breakfast cereal. Giant Bomb mentioned one in L.A.)
A Toys R Us
A really good comic store
A great pancake house
Macys and Bloomingdales (For the lady of the party)
Er... Taco Bell (I know)
A decent, surviving video arcade
Also, is GameWorks any good?

Now's the time to mention other places of interest too. And of course list your favorite bar or club.

Cheers

Alex

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is off the top of my head:

Tony Romas
    P.F. Changs YES
    Hooters
    Applebees
    A cereal bar (Kind of like an ice cream parlor but with breakfast cereal. Giant Bomb mentioned one in L.A.)
    A Toys R Us
    A really good comic store YES
    A great pancake house YES
    Macys and Bloomingdales (For the lady of the party)
    Er... Taco Bell (I know)
    Also, is GameWorks any good? YES

After using the Internet:

Tony Romas YES (Several miles North)
    Hooters YES
    Applebees YES (Several miles to the East)
    Applebees YES (Several miles to the East)

A Toys R Us YES (Several miles North)
    Macys and Bloomingdales (For the lady of the party) Macy's YES Bloomingdales NO
    Er... Taco Bell (I know) YES (Several miles North, there is a good taco place at PAX)

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A lot of the chain restaurants you mention are in the general area, but I don't know specifically about proximity to the convention center, if you're planning on staying in that area. Like, I know there's a taco bell up on lake city way just north of the seattle city limit on 145th, but I have no idea if there's one closer to the convention center. (though there is a taco del mar IN the convention center.)

There's a Toys r us up at northgate (same mall as the ebgames sometimes featured in PA), and Macy's bought one of the seattle landmark department stores (bon marche) some years back, so there's a Macy's pretty close to the convention center.

never heard of a cereal bar, and I haven't actually been in gameworks since it first opened doors.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Google Maps is probably the easiest way to find these places, but for whether or not they're worth it... I suppose that's debatable.

Gameworks is ok, but the best thing about it is its proximity to PAX-central. Also, DO NOT eat at the restaurant there, unless you want to spend 3 hours waiting for your food/bill while sadly watching people playing games all around you.

I'm not much of a shopper, but I don't think there's a Bloomingdales around here. Macys is great though, and Nordstrom might be similar.

Also, I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't suggest you check out this thread: Magical Mystery Tour!!

As for the other things on your list, some of them do exist around Seattle (or in Bellevue) but unless you are just *dying* to see these places, I recommend looking into local Seattle restaurants (which are probably much more unique and awesome.) Yelp.com is usually a good place to start..

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tony Romas - All western Washington locations went out of business a few years ago. Sorry. :(

P.F. Changs - At Westlake Center on 4th and Pine very near the convention center. Haven't eaten at this one personally, but it's a fun experience.

Hooters - In South Lake Union, you can take the SLUT (South Lake Union Trolley... I mean Streetcar) from Westlake Center directly to Hooters.

Applebees - Not sure that there is one in the city limits, these tend to populate the suburbs.

Chilli's (If only for the Office connection) - There is an express version in SeaTac Airport, otherwise the only ones in Washington are in Spokane.

A cereal bar (Kind of like an ice cream parlor but with breakfast cereal. Giant Bomb mentioned one in L.A.) - No idea... University of Washington has one at McMahon 8 one of the dorm dining halls but you'd be better off at the grocery store.

A Toys R Us - At Northgate Mall, take bus #41 north from the convention center tunnel station, get off at Northgate Transit center and cross the street.

A really good comic store - I defer to others on this, but there are plenty around.

A great pancake house - You have to go to an Ihop, there is still one on Aurora Ave and 100th St.

Macys and Bloomingdales (For the lady of the party) - Macy's in the Pacific Northwest used to be The Bon Marche and it's former flagship store (now Macy's) is located on Pine between 3rd and 4th Avenues. No Bloomingdales north of California on the West coast.

Er... Taco Bell (I know) - There's one in Ballard and one on Aurora Ave near 85th that I know of. Personally I'd recommend Chipotle or Taco Del Mar (conveniently located in the convention center and Westlake Center).

There are lots of great restaurants in downtown Seattle that aren't chains that I would highly recommend. Especially since you sound like you'd like to splurge a little. First and foremost I'd recommend Ivar's on the waterfront. You can either get fish and chips from the outside window, or go inside for a delicious sit down seafood dinner. Ivar is a Seattle legend. Other favorites when work is paying, Purple Cafe and Wine Bar and Wild Ginger. These are located closer to the Central Business District.

I would also recommend browsing the Seattle page of yelp.com. Take things with a grain of salt there because I hear that some of the reviews are sponsored now.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    +1 for Ivar's definitely check that out when you're in town (also if you're doing the pub crawl make sure to get a dick's deluxe during the dick's break)

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're looking for a Seattle bistro, might I recommend Lola:

lola.jpg

Lola Website

It's not going to be as "American" as Chipotle or PF Chang's (both you have to go to, of course), but you're going to need something light after a few days of our finest edible selections. Good selection of Seattle wines by the glass, too.

I know of some cereal bars here in my native Phoenix, AZ, but I didn't see one in Seattle. Try to find a Jamba Juice for tasty smoothies.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry to be jerk, but Jesus Christ, why travel any significant distance and look for chains? Why not focus on the unique local things? Seattle is arguably the most culturally deep city in a 1700 mi. radius (San Francisco might rival, but LA is hollow and the rest can't hold a candle).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    moomin83moomin83 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I recommend the Cheesecake Factory...for cheesecake 8-)

The peanut butter one is great...as long as you don't get salmonella.

Anthony's is also a pretty good seafood place.

moomin83 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry to be jerk, but Jesus Christ, why travel any significant distance and look for chains? Why not focus on the unique local things? Seattle is arguably the most culturally deep city in a 1700 mi. radius (San Francisco might rival, but LA is hollow and the rest can't hold a candle).

I'm guessing because they're coming from england, and some if not all of those chains don't operate there? I could be way off base but that was my assumption.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Faits and Turtle you're both right.

YES chains aren't going to be as good as local speciality places but NO we don't have the places I mentioned in the UK. We have McDonals, Pizza Hut, KFC and Burger King. The best import is TGI Fridays (I worked there for four years).

So we've never sampled the classic American chains like Red Lobster and the Olive Garden. We have to make do with English food. Boiled Pizza and cereal with no marshmallows. It's hard being so bland all the time. We crave flavour.

We weren't going to go to all these places, just the ones that were easily accessible.

My co-host Tony has always fancied trying Taco Bell (even though we know it's rubbish)

I personally like the idea of taking the SLUT to Hooters.

Ideally we'd like to try one or two of the chains we don't have, but spend the rest of our meals in the places you guys with experience suggest. Lola for example looks nice. What's their specialty AltDelete?

Alex

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    faits wrote: »
    I'm guessing because they're coming from england, and some if not all of those chains don't operate there? I could be way off base but that was my assumption.

It's like the first time I flew into the Midwest and tracked down the nearest White Castle burger stand I could find. Sure, they're nothing new to people who have them, but to an out-of-towner they're new and exciting.

If you want an honest pub, hit Kell's. I haven't been to the one in Seattle, but the original in Portland (represent!) is outstanding and I hear good things about it's northern cousin.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This looks to be our annual restaurant thread.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy: Downtown Seattle, where PAX is held, is a dense urban area. You can have an amazing weekend on foot. As far as shopping for the lady, both Westlake Center and Pacific Place are just a few blocks away.

For food you could eat every meal at Pike Place Market and eat like kings (check out the variety of establishments listed on their site). But it's worth checking out the nearby international district, Electric Turtle organized a Dim Sum breakfast there and it was fantastic. I'm sure ET will eventually post some of his recommendations for authentic Seattle establishments. I had an excellent meal at The Taphouse last year. I'm at work now, I'll post some reviews later this evening.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Faits and Turtle you're both right.

YES chains aren't going to be as good as local speciality places but NO we don't have the places I mentioned in the UK. We have McDonals, Pizza Hut, KFC and Burger King. The best import is TGI Fridays (I worked there for four years).

So we've never sampled the classic American chains like Red Lobster and the Olive Garden. We have to make do with English food. Boiled Pizza and cereal with no marshmallows. It's hard being so bland all the time. We crave flavour.

We weren't going to go to all these places, just the ones that were easily accessible.

My co-host Tony has always fancied trying Taco Bell (even though we know it's rubbish)

Ideally we'd like to try one or two of the chains we don't have, but spend the rest of our meals in the places you guys with experience suggest. Lola for example looks nice. What's their specialty AltDelete?

Alex

Are you looking for an American food experience or an American chain experience? If it's food you're after, there are restaurants that do the same kinds of food you'd get at a Red Lobster or Olive Garden, just without the stomach ache afterward.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Be sure to get the tshirt. http://www.ridetheslut.com/

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kells looks pretty good, thanks Seraphex. MetaverseNomad we're flying in on the Thursday and won't be at the hotel until about 7pm so we're going to miss that Mystery tour, sadly. I'd like to come out earlier but Paul my co-host has his 30th birthday on the 2nd and he swore he wouldn't spend it on a plane. Personally I'd love to visit this fine city the day I turn three decades old, but he's got something planned, and I'm sure the folks at Kells or... Hooters know how to throw a decent late birthday bash.

I suppose you're right about chains too Seraphex. Why would we avoid real food to chase processed rubbish?

...Oh and thank GOD Pike Place has a "Crumpet Shop". We'd grow faint if we couldn't have one of them, dipped in a nice cup of milky tea.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, a bit of a disservice to both Vancouver and Portland.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You know if you want American Chain-food fare definitely hit up Red Robin. It originated here in Seattle. Lots of burgers and such. There is one directly above Northgate Toys R Us. I don't know how much longer it will be there, but the first Red Robin is located near University of Washington and you can hop the #70, 71, 72, or 73 buses there from near the convention center. www.redrobin.com

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    seraphex wrote: »
    faits wrote: »

If you want an honest pub, hit Kell's. I haven't been to the one in Seattle, but the original in Portland (represent!) is outstanding and I hear good things about it's northern cousin.
    I've been to that Kell's. I really enjoyed my stew. Reviews were mixed with the rest of my party, some really liked, some didn't.

Transparent on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey guys, i dont want to tangent that much from the original poster, but where around the convention center can i find awesome fresh fish? I live in south florida and we have ok seafood here but id love to try different kinds of fish.

thanks

oops, just noticed trickys post about Ivars...any other suggestions would be great too

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I hadn't eaten in red robin since I was a kid, but last year one of my out of town guests wanted to so we stopped in at the northgate one while looking for settlers of catan at toys r us. (also the first time I'd been in a toys r us since I was a kid and it was kind of weird)

Definitely good burgers, also:
    Windows-1252BSU1HMDExMTIuanBn.jpg

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey guys, i dont want to tangent that much from the original poster, but where around the convention center can i find awesome fresh fish? I live in south florida and we have ok seafood here but id love to try different kinds of fish.

thanks

oops, just noticed trickys post about Ivars...any other suggestions would be great too

Pike's Place is where you can go to see salmon thrown around (it is hilarious how many people crowd around to see that you can't even walk the crowd will get so thick)

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Toys R Us might be weird for me. When I visited it as a kid on holiday in the US it was like a Mecca because in the early 90's we had NO WAY of getting all those action figures in the UK. Then came Forbidden Planet and finally eBay. Now I can get pretty much anything if I don't mind about shipping. Last time I was in New York (2003) I bought a bunch of Ninja Turtles and Masters of the Universe for similar reasons but now Toys R Us in the UK is just somewhere I go to look at Lego I might buy my daughter in five or six years, so I have no idea what the US equivalent will be like.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Wasn't there a restaurant guide to seattle thread last year? Anybody feel up to the task for that one this year?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    If nothing else, here was last year's best restaurant-related thread. I had a couple posts in there. It would just be a crime to come to one of the most Asian-permeated cities in the US (over 14%) and eat watered-down Americanized crap at freaking PF Chang's when some of the best real Chinese and Japanese food for many hundreds of miles is right in the CT/ID.

Oh and BTW since you mentioned it Alex, the Crumpet Shop is indeed awesome. However my experiences with their teas always seem underwhelming. If you're going to Pike Place be sure to get a tea sample from Market Spice. Though we tend to like it so strong I've seen a few Europeans act like taking a sip of it was equivalent to being roundhoused in the face by Chuck Norris. (I suppose in light of that maybe the Crumpet Shop's tea is just authentically weaksauce.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Motherfuckin' Salumi. Sure it's a walk, but why wouldn't you eat delicious salami sandwiches in from Mario Batali's daddy's personal storehouse? Warning: ONLY OPEN FRIDAY TIL 4.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't say that I've been to many places in Seattle, but as mentioned, there's plenty of awesome unique places to check out. If you want some desert at some point, definitely head across the street from the convention center to the Cheesecake Factory, it's not cheap, but it's pretty amazing.

For a descent restaurant, you could always check out the one on the top of the Space Needle (which revolves), so you could visit a pretty cool tourist attraction AND eat some pretty good food at the same time!

If you want something a little more casual (and American?) with kind of a 1950's theme, try Johnny Rocket's in Pacific Place, just a block or two from the convention center (somebody correct me if I got the location wrong). Me and a few friends ate there during PAX last year and it was a pretty awesome experience, which we owe to our waitress. It's still a cool place though.

Somebody should put all this info together and get that guide going me thinks. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I started a food guide last year at http://pax.wikidot.com/food then didn't keep adding content. I think it could be helpful with more links to restaurants and local review sites.

Transparent on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »
    If you're looking for a Seattle bistro, might I recommend Lola:

lola.jpg

Lola Website

It's not going to be as "American" as Chipotle or PF Chang's (both you have to go to, of course), but you're going to need something light after a few days of our finest edible selections. Good selection of Seattle wines by the glass, too.

I know of some cereal bars here in my native Phoenix, AZ, but I didn't see one in Seattle. Try to find a Jamba Juice for tasty smoothies.

To continue the good food places in Seattle, I would suggest Lark, which is a mile or so walk, but you can take a bus there. I had a great meal there last PAX, the best thing being the sweetbreads.

Musan on
  • Options
    stankerbellstankerbell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i really thought p.f. changs at westlake mall was really overrated....

really long wait, bad food, but great service and nice atmosphere.... mexico in pacific place was nice, the food was good, the mojito's were great, service was good, reasonably pricec and nice, relaxed atmosphere...

pike place clam chowder in pacific place WAS GREAT!! i love that place and of course, good chowder. ;)

stankerbell on
  • Options
    beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think Ivars is over rated and extremely expensive for what you get. If you want good sea food, check out Anthony's or Atheanian in Pike Place. Or, if your not worried about money, The Firsherman or The Metropolitan Grill...

Also, I second going down to the Oriental District for good Asian food. I rate P.F. Changs as 6 out of 10. (Not bad, but nothing special.)

And don't forget the local brews! The Pacific North West has tons of local beers and wines to try! Taphouse has a huge selection but can be really busy during PAX. Most places have a decent selection on tap though...

beowuff on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There was actually a Japanese place right in the same block as the W hotel where we stayed that served me a pretty damn good meal.

http://www.jasmineseattle.com/home.html

It's a more moderate priced place, but still has a very nice dining room

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for that link Turtle.

Here are my list of must-visits so far
    • Salumi's (For a Salami sandwich)
    • Cheesecake Factory (For the peanut butter cheesecake)
    • Taco Del Mar (When in PAX)
    • Gameworks (Just for the arcade)

Pike Place Market has so damn many places to eat I don't know where to start. Reccomendations for Pike place in terms of having a full, sit-down meal then?

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The food at Gameworks isn't bad (at least I've never had a bad experience there) but you still should focus elsewhere for food. They do have a pretty cool new sports bar in there now though. Some game company/developer will probably be taking it over at some point over the weekend too.

And I don't know if somebody mentioned this already, but if you go to Taco Del Mar during PAX hours, expect a line. I'm not even a big fan of Mexican food, but it's still worth it.

I'm also clueless when it comes to Pikeplace Market, which is kinda sad...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about breakfast? I wandered around Pike Place for awhile on Sunday morning looking for a good breakfast place. I eventually gave up and grab some pastries (which were good but not breakfast-y enough) I came across a small restaurant that was packed on the way back that looked like it might be good but didn't get a chance to check it out.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pike Place Market has so damn many places to eat I don't know where to start. Reccomendations for Pike place in terms of having a full, sit-down meal then?

For dinner I could recommend the Pink Door. I had some gnocchi there that was better than sex. Just don't have the veal (looks like they took it off the menu anyway). Kells has already been recommended, but considering you're from the British Isles, it'd probably be redundant, like me going to Europe and looking for an analogue to Beth's.

Don't eat at the 'Japanese Gourmet Restaurant' at 82 Stewart St. Their sushi isn't fresh and their service is bad. Other people on the interwebs have said similar things to our own experience.

The Pike Street Bar and Grill is also one to avoid. Food is mediocre and my wife swears she saw waitstaff pouring half-imbibed waters back into the pitcher. Ew. Tonight's special: hepatitis!

In general, I rarely go to Pike Place Market to eat anything more than a quick lunch at the Crumpet Shop or Mr. D's. For something sit-down I'd go to Belltown, the ID, Capitol Hill, or the U District.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've never worked as a waiter (or in a restaurant at all) but I think it's a semi-common practice to dump drinks into a pitcher to lessen the chance of a mess on the way back to the kitchen.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I have worked as waiter (worst year of my professional life), and we sure as hell never did that. If for no other reason than the appearance of impropriety.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the original OP is somewhat optimistic in being able to cram in PAX and got to those eating establishments as well. It's not something I pursued when I was there last year although we did go to this nice place we found that did great breakfast sandwiches. It was quite close to the Red Lion hotel, even though I wasn't staying there I hasten to add! I just remember it being close.

Anyway PAX is too hectic to get bogged down in hunting for restaurants sadly. That's my opinion anyway.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hubby and I got breakfast the Thursday morning of PAX last year at the Pike Place.. Grill and Pub? Pub and Grill? something like that and it was pretty good. Also, that morning it was DEAD SLOW. From what I was told by other Savannah friends that had flown up with us, it was NOT slow Friday or Saturday, and they couldn't get in. It was extremely good, though; relatively cheap and with the best view short of Sky City in the Space Needle:
    ?action=view&current=DSCF1148.jpg
    (From my side of the booth on Thursday morning. Took me a while to realize the clock actually worked, which doesn't happen often with clocks like that in Savannah. :p)

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thread is TL:DR all of it, but you should check out Dick's. Is is a bit away from PAX, but worth the trip. For really good pizza check out Post Ally Pizza. Again, it is a bit away from PAX, but well worth it.

That_Guy on
This discussion has been closed.