As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice Dept. Releases Bush Administration Memos on Torture, Rendition, & Wiretapping

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The Obama administration is going to release more of the torture memos from the Justice Department: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/secret-interrogation-memos-to-be-released/

I've gotta give them credit for this because the CIA and Republicans have been pushing hard against it. Like, to the point that several cabinet appointees were being threatened with filibuster if they released the memos. It looks like there may be some serious hardball in the future to get these appointees through the Senate.

Good sign, waiting to see how heavily redacted they are before full credit is given. This is the one area (civil liberties generally) where I've become a little skeptical about this administration.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    According to some blogs, the only thing that will be censored are the names of CIA officials:

Linky

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Obama administration is going to release more of the torture memos from the Justice Department: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/secret-interrogation-memos-to-be-released/

I've gotta give them credit for this because the CIA and Republicans have been pushing hard against it. Like, to the point that several cabinet appointees were being threatened with filibuster if they released the memos. It looks like there may be some serious hardball in the future to get these appointees through the Senate.

Good sign, waiting to see how heavily redacted they are before full credit is given. This is the one area (civil liberties generally) where I've become a little skeptical about this administration.

Yup.

TPM link.

Very little, if anything , was redacted or edited out in the memos.

CIA interrogators remain anonymous, get a free pass.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yup.

TPM link.

Very little, if anything , was redacted or edited out in the memos.

CIA interrogators remain anonymous, get a free pass.

If the AP article is accurate, this is fantastic news. Even Greenwald is happy.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm definitely crossing my fingers for transcripts of Cheney's personal Torture Livejournal.

TL DR on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a sad day when the President doing the right thing in regards to torture is uplifting. Still, why look a gift horse in the mouth.

moniker on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I was worried about what was going to happen today. Once again, I have not been let down. Awesome.

:^: Obama

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    It's a sad day when the President doing the right thing in regards to torture is uplifting. Still, why look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yeah.

On another positive note, it's interesting how Obama says nothing about immunity for the higher ups involved in crafting these memos.

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here they are, according to Sullivan, having been posted online by the ACLU.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSWAT011290
    WASHINGTON, April 16 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Thursday that CIA officials would not be prosecuted for having used waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods on terrorism suspects under the Bush administration.

Obama, who ordered a halt to such internationally condemned interrogation techniques after he took office, said in a statement "it is our intention to assure those who carried out their duties relying in good faith upon legal advice from the Department of Justice that they will not be subject to prosecution."

:v:

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Basically, he's going after/not-stopping-the-inevitable-process the lawyers/directors and not the people who had to act on what they ordered.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    WASHINGTON, April 16 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Thursday that CIA officials would not be prosecuted for having used waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods on terrorism suspects under the Bush administration.

Obama, who ordered a halt to such internationally condemned interrogation techniques after he took office, said in a statement "it is our intention to assure those who carried out their duties relying in good faith upon legal advice from the Department of Justice that they will not be subject to prosecution."

Eh, the grunts should be prosecuted but I don't care nearly as much as the people who justified it and ordered it. Which he didn't rule out.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Bybee memo from 2002 is disgusting.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Eh, the grunts should be prosecuted but I don't care nearly as much as the people who justified it and ordered it. Which he didn't rule out.

I agree. I'm just not in favor of giving blanket immunity to the grunts.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Indeed. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the agents getting tried, but I would actually chip in some cash monies to strap Yoo to the flight deck of a plane with sensory deprivation gear and drop him off at The Hague.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I think the ACLU servers are getting slammed - it's taking forever to download these memos.

Though now I don't know if I'm ready to read them just yet. :|

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's quite refreshing to be able to view documents in which the non-blacked out portions vastly outnumber the blacked-out portions.

Yea Platypus they are. It took me a while to get a connection.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I think the ACLU servers are getting slammed - it's taking forever to download these memos.

Greenwald is posting excerpts as he reads them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Greenwald is posting excerpts as he reads them.

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Greenwald.

D:D:D:cry::cry::cry:

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, that's pretty sad:
    Greenwald wrote:
    The memo then describes waterboarding in excruciating detail, matter-of-factly noting: "the subject's body responds as if the subject were drowning." Amazingly, it concludes that "the use of waterboarding constitutes a threat of imminent death," but is nonethless permissible and legal because it does not result in "prolonged mental harm."

They're legal because they don't result in prolonged mental harm. The subjects will just be dead long before that can manifest. Sigh.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ambinder with an interesting take on the wording of the Holder's statements.
    Ambinder wrote:
    Here's what Attorney General Holder said today in his statement: "Holder also stressed that intelligence community officials who acted reasonably and relied in good faith on authoritative legal advice from the Justice Department that their conduct was lawful, and conformed their conduct to that advice, would not face federal prosecutions for that conduct."

Note the emphasis,

So -- doesn't that mean that if there were IC officials who did NOT act reasonably, did NOT act in good faith, and IGNORED the OLC's advice -- that if evidence were to come out that some folks did this -- that they could be subject to prosecution?

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The second memo Greenwald posted excerpts from is way worse.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bradburry wrote:
    Given the paucity of relevant precedent and the subjective nature of the inquiry, however, we cannot predict with confidence whether a court would agree with this conclusion, though, for the reasons explained, the question is unlikely to be subject to judicial inquiry.

Those cocky motherfuckers.....

I'm don't know if prosecuting those who authorized this is a good idea from a political standpoint or will further divide the country, or whatever the latest argument is, but damn it if they don't deserve it. Just on the surface of it, ignoring political implications or backlash and everything else about how it affects things now, seeing this through to the end is absolutely the right thing to do, and my feelings are that we will be severely worse off as a nation 20 to 50 years from now if we just quietly sit back and let these guys slip through the cracks of history.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The second memo Greenwald posted excerpts from is way worse.

I can't believe it.

I mean. I. What.

THEY EVEN RECOGNIZED THAT THE TECHNIQUES THEY USED WOULD BE CLASSIFIED TORTURE IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES, BUT DID IT ANYWAY, BECAUSE HUR HUR DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.

I want to punch something.

Edit: Not to belabor the point, but Ambinder confirms that only CIA interrogators who operated "in good faith" are immune from prosecution.

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does that last memo excert basically say "There is a good chance this isn't legal, so don't let it go to court!"?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sullivan nails it and he hasn't even gotten beyond the Bybee memo.

I thought of that book too.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why is it that Cheney and Bush will never get what they deserve? This shit just enrages me beyond belief. Not only did they put us into a shit war, they lost it eagerly!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does that last memo excert basically say "There is a good chance this isn't legal, so don't let it go to court!"?

I read it a little differently.
    Given the paucity of relevant precedent and the subjective nature of the inquiry, however, we cannot predict with confidence whether a court would agree with this conclusion, though, for the reasons explained, the question is unlikely to be subject to judicial inquiry.

I take that to be lawyer-talk for "There's a good chance this isn't legal. Or at least a good chance that any given Federal Appeals Court won't find it legal. But since these memos will be kept secret by the Permanent Republican Majority,* it doesn't matter."

*That's my best guess at "the reasons explained [above]" without actually reading the memo.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, someone needs to hit home that this is what makes us lose the War on Terror. We declared war on an idea, and we lost.

I just.... the last 8 years make me so angry, and the fact that about 1 in 5 are still happy with it.... I don't understand how anyone could be happy with our soul being ripped to shreds and sold.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It is very important to the moral character of this country that somebody very important in the Bush administration is prosecuted for this.

Hachface on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh hell. Read the May 30th memo.
    You asked us to address whether certain "enhanced interrogation techniques"...are consistent with United States obligations under Article 16 of the United Nations Convention against Torture...

By its terms, Article 16 is limited to conduct within "territory under [United States] jurisdiction."... Based on CIA assurances, we understand that the interrogations do not take place in any such areas. We therefore conclude that Article 16 is inapplicable to the CIA's interrogation practices and thus that the practices cannot violate Article 16.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Oh hell. Read the May 30th memo.
    You asked us to address whether certain "enhanced interrogation techniques"...are consistent with United States obligations under Article 16 of the United Nations Convention against Torture...

By its terms, Article 16 is limited to conduct within "territory under [United States] jurisdiction."... Based on CIA assurances, we understand that the interrogations do not take place in any such areas. We therefore conclude that Article 16 is inapplicable to the CIA's interrogation practices and thus that the practices cannot violate Article 16.

Did they seriously use the stock movie anti-hero excuse to permit this? Really?

Ugh.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Honestly, someone needs to hit home that this is what makes us lose the War on Terror. We declared war on an idea, and we lost.

I just.... the last 8 years make me so angry, and the fact that about 1 in 5 are still happy with it.... I don't understand how anyone could be happy with our soul being ripped to shreds and sold.

You're complaining about people with no souls, hearts or brains being okay with this.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    CNN has G Gordon Liddy commenting on the torture memos. He obviously doesn't consider them to be too bad. Which is probably why he's there. Still, what does a guy have to do to get blackballed these days?

moniker on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah no kidding. Seriously I've heard more than one person say that they aren't upset about the CIA torturing people because the people must have deserved it.

What. The. Fuck?

urahonky on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Torture is despicable. Those who perpetrate it are despicable. Those who refuse to prosecute it are despicable.

RIP America.

Drake on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    O'Reilly has Megyn Kelly saying that the positions on torture in these memos were completely legit legally.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    God. Damnit. I thought my outrage at these chucklefucks was all used up.

I would react different if shit like this happened under a liberal administration, though. I don't think I'd be outraged so much as really depressed. Maybe I'm depressed now, but it's hidden by my outrageous urges to kick Dick Cheney in the shin.

I can't even see how the techniques described in these memos would produce any useful information. What's the point of doing stuff like that other than to be a dick to brown people?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »
    O'Reilly has Megyn Kelly saying that the positions on torture in these memos were completely legit legally.

Shocking.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why is it that Cheney and Bush will never get what they deserve? This shit just enrages me beyond belief. Not only did they put us into a shit war, they lost it eagerly!

The game is not over yet. I'm not sure what Obama's plan is exactly, but it looks like he may be positioning his pieces so he can start taking down some big fish by releasing these memos. There are a lot of glaring omissions in the list of people that he specified would be left alone in terms of prosecution. In particular he only said he wouldn't go after those CIA agents who operated in good faith following the guidelines of the OLC, but said nothing about the higher ups or the guys who made these memos.
    God. Damnit. I thought my outrage at these chucklefucks was all used up.

I would react different if shit like this happened under a liberal administration, though. I don't think I'd be outraged so much as really depressed. Maybe I'm depressed now, but it's hidden by my outrageous urges to kick Dick Cheney in the shin.

I can't even see how the techniques described in these memos would produce any useful information. What's the point of doing stuff like that other than to be a dick to brown people?

There is something that torture is very useful for: extracting false confessions. I'm not sure if the Bushies knew that or that was their goal (they could have just been stupidly and maliciously trying to get info), but it is effective for coercing someone to say something that you want them to.

Savant on
This discussion has been closed.