As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two all beef [CHAT]ties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun.

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
Other chat thread titles may be suggested.

I feel like having an incredibly esoteric scientific-statement-title.

Suggestions?

NightDragon on

• Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You made me hungry, ND :<

no_toast on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've actually been wanting a hamburger for like two weeks now.

Solly!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I make the special sauce.

Just thought you guys should know.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This reminds me! There's supposed to be a new burger joint in town that is amazing. I am going to grab a burger after work... thank you ND, thank you.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Big Macs are on my mind now...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure if the lighbulb in my room has burnt out, or if it's the circuitry. I mean, it seems more likely that it'd be the lightbulb, but usually lightbulbs don't intermittently refuse to turn on before finally going. I suppose it could be a CF bulb, though...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That made me suddenly curious why when light bulbs blow out, it's accompanied by a blue flash. Internets for anybody who knows/can find the answer to this, I can't find anything. Even if the answer is just like "this is the chemical reaction takes place", that would be cool.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well it's a complex chemical reaction that takes place.
    you saw it coming

Prospicience on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tell me, what's the price of a standard Big Mac meal where you people live?

Here, it's 6 euros. That's 7,6 USD.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Really though, I'm guessing it's just the filament breaking and sparking ND. I would imagine electricity just kinda shoots out for a second and is loose within the bulb.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no_toast wrote: »
    Tell me, what's the price of a standard Big Mac meal where you people live?

Here, it's 6 euros. That's 7,6 USD.

You couldnt' even pay me that much to eat a big mac

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that without any air in the bulb (it being supposedly a vacuum), there oughtn't be any sparking...now you've got me curious...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that without any air in the bulb (it being supposedly a vacuum), there oughtn't be any sparking...now you've got me curious...

If I recall correctly, it's not actually air in the bulb, but some kind of gas.
    Well it's a complex chemical reaction that takes place.
    you saw it coming

I actually clicked the spoiler and became disappointed before I realized what you were doing.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That made me suddenly curious why when light bulbs blow out, it's accompanied by a blue flash. Internets for anybody who knows/can find the answer to this, I can't find anything. Even if the answer is just like "this is the chemical reaction takes place", that would be cool.

Actually, light bulbs have gas in them, just not oxygen. It's the arc between the two separating filaments that you see that causes the blue spark.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, if the inside of the light bulb were a sufficient enough vacuum, the filament of the light bulb would turn directly from a solid to a gas and coat the inside of the lightbulb. This is called physical vapor deposition.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Huh, I did not know that...misconception corrected...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, damn...light works again, which puts more evidence on the side of bad circuitry...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    back from painting day. i picked such an absurdly complex subject that it feels like i'm chipping away at a boulder - but it'll be awesome when it's done.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's the arc between the two separating filaments that you see that causes the blue spark.

Ah! So I guess the gas it what causes it to be blue, then? Kinda like how certain gases make electrical charges that pass through to be certain colors? [I'm pretty sure...like those little Van de Graaf generators, I think...and neon lights...at least, that's what I remember being told in the past]
    Also, if the inside of the light bulb were a sufficient enough vacuum, the filament of the light bulb would turn directly from a solid to a gas and coat the inside of the lightbulb. This is called physical vapor deposition.

Cool! Another thing to add to my random information brain library.
    Actually, light bulbs have gas in them, just not oxygen.

:3

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a very scientific chat thread.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Science is fucking awesome.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Down with science!

Up with intelligent falling!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Scientific tip: Air is composed entirely of gases. You are contradicting yourself.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Scientific tip: Air is composed entirely of gases. You are contradicting yourself.
    Air is a term that signifies earth's breathable atmosphere.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Dammit. I meant "gasses not typically found in a standard sample of household air", then. Now i'm going to look it up.

[edit] Aha!

"Normal" lightblub: "a gas such as argon and/or nitrogen."

"A halogen lamp also uses a tungsten filament, but it is encased inside a much smaller quartz envelope. Because the envelope is so close to the filament, it would melt if it were made from glass. The gas inside the envelope is also different -- it consists of a gas from the halogen group. These gases have a very interesting property: They combine with tungsten vapor. If the temperature is high enough, the halogen gas will combine with tungsten atoms as they evaporate and redeposit them on the filament. This recycling process lets the filament last a lot longer. In addition, it is now possible to run the filament hotter, meaning you get more light per unit of energy. You still get a lot of heat, though; and because the quartz envelope is so close to the filament, it is extremely hot compared to a normal light bulb."

Science!!

Okay, so I didn't know about nitrogen being a part of the gas mixture in a "standard" bulb...I think I'd heard it was argon. Solly!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't worry, I am just channeling Tam and being pedantic about it.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ah! So I guess the gas it what causes it to be blue, then? Kinda like how certain gases make electrical charges that pass through to be certain colors? [I'm pretty sure...like those little Van de Graaf generators, I think...and neon lights...at least, that's what I remember being told in the past]

Actually, I'd just be guessing, but I think that it's blue because of the high amount of energy being released when the filament breaks. The same gas would probably be a different color if it were put in a neon light.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no no no you guys the gas is blue because when the tiny fairy in your bulb has died in brilliant flash of magic.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    no no no you guys the gas is blue because when the tiny fairy in your bulb has died in brilliant flash of magic.

You will never be a scientist, Prox. I am sorry.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Don't pin this on me, you stupid weasel

Science! Quiz!

Which would freeze faster, a boiled pot of water or a pot of tap water?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    PROX wrote: »

You will never be a scientist, Prox. I am sorry.

How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just two, but don't ask me how they got there.

How many psychiatrists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just one, but the bulb has to want to change.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Science! Quiz!

Well a boiled pot of water wouldn't have anything in it. A pot of water that is boiling would be something else.

Now are you thinking about the water vapor in the air freezing? because of the increased surface area it might cool down and freeze faster.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Science! Quiz!

Is this cheating?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Science! Quiz!

Well a boiled pot of water wouldn't have anything in it. A pot of water that is boiling would be something else.

Now are you thinking about the water vapor in the air freezing? because of the increased surface area it might cool down and freeze faster.

Look, pedantic semantics is my shtick, get your own.

By pot of boiled water, I mean a pot full of water that has been boiled

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Is this cheating?

Seriously guys if this ends up being a science thread I will be so happy.

So many informations! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Science! Quiz!

Look, pedantic semantics is my shtick, get your own.

By pot of boiled water, I mean a pot full of water that has been boiled

But if the water has been boiled, there's no telling what temperature it's at right now. I mean, if you had some ice cubes in the fridge, they may have come from water that has been boiled.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Science! Quiz!

Is this cheating?

Basically this is the type of question that can never be answered with one answer due to the number of different variables at work in the cooling of water.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Is this cheating?

Seriously guys if this ends up being a science thread I will be so happy.

So many informations! :D

Straight Dope is 75% as bad as Wikipedia to me

On that note, stop being interesting, people I need to get to bed early so I don't fuck up and sleep in again. I'm still kicking myself for this morning.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Actually, I'd just be guessing, but I think that it's blue because of the high amount of energy being released when the filament breaks. The same gas would probably be a different color if it were put in a neon light.

That's what I was trying to say, damn my words.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That's what I was trying to say, damn my words.

Yes, I have a gift for technobabble.

Metalbourne on
This discussion has been closed.