As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two all beef [CHAT]ties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, on a sesame seed bun.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The boiled water freezes faster. Boiling gets rid of dissolved gases ever present in tap water. These dissolved gases are largely non-volatile, non-electrolytes which expand the liquid phase, i.e, depress the freezing point and elevate the boiling point. With the dissolved gases gone, the liquid phase narrows.

at least, theoretically. I haven't tried it yet.

Tam on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, sometimes it's funny how much theory gets tossed about before someone takes the simple step of actually putting both boiled and tap water in the freezer...

EDIT: Oh, I see what you did there...well, nevertheless, until you try it...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    The boiled water freezes faster. Boiling gets rid of dissolved gases ever present in tap water. These dissolved gases are largely non-volatile, non-electrolytes which expand the liquid phase, i.e, depress the freezing point and elevate the boiling point. With the dissolved gases gone, the liquid phase narrows.

More variables: What temperature is each sample of water when they are put in the freezer? What material is the ice tray made of and what is the volume/surface area ratio? Are we assuming there is mixing going on or are both samples relatively static?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think any of those variables matter (except for the temperature one which is implied) in this experiment if they're the same for both samples...

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    is there a better way to learn css than trying to make a website with it? like, would a dedicated series of tutorials help, or am i better off jumping right in?

i've got this 'css the missing manual' here, 2006 ed - has much changed in the shift from css 2.1-3?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Do this the next time you're camping: Take some tongs and hold an empty drink can in the campfire for a few minutes. Then quickly submerge the can upside down in a bucket of water.

Science!

Shit. Wait. I mean:

Science!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

More variables: What temperature is each sample of water when they are put in the freezer? What material is the ice tray made of and what is the volume/surface area ratio? Are we assuming there is mixing going on or are both samples relatively static?

two identical pyrex pans. Pour equal amounts of tap in both, get one boiling for a minute or so, cover them both. Allow a few minutes' cooling time and stick them both in the freezer.

edit: email reply from professor says not to bother him with silly questions, but that it should work, even if the boiled water hasn't cooled quite down to the level of the tap.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    I don't think any of those variables matter (except for the temperature one which is implied) in this experiment if they're the same for both samples...

No, it makes a hell of a lot of difference. All of those will affect the freezing time of the water. Also you're a whore who will somehow suck all the fun out of this conversation, so get the fuck out of my thread.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

two identical pyrex pans. Pour equal amounts of tap in both, get one boiling for a minute or so, cover them both. Allow a few minutes' cooling time and stick them both in the freezer.

edit: email reply from professor says not to bother him with silly questions, but that it should work, even if the boiled water hasn't cooled quite down to the level of the tap.

Okay, yeah, you can do that, but what happens with copper pans?

Glass? wood?

Each material has different heat-transferring properties that will affect the ambient motion of the water and effect the time it takes to freeze. The same with different size pans. Like I said, there's no simple answer to a question like that.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Glass? wood?

Each material has different heat-transferring properties that will affect the ambient motion of the water and effect the time it takes to freeze. The same with different size pans. Like I said, there's no simple answer to a question like that.

You'd be controlling the other variables in an experiment, presumably. As long as you use the same sort of containers and covering devices and put them in the same sort of cooling unit at the same initial temperature, it should be mostly the same.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Glass? wood?

I dunno about wood, but it'd be the same for copper.

We have to remember the original question and my original answer:

Q: What freezes faster, hot or cold water?
    A: There are too many variables to get one definite answer.

Can we agree on that?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Glass? wood?

I dunno about wood, but it'd be the same for copper.

We have to remember the original question and my original answer:

Q: What freezes faster, boiled or tap water?
    A: There are too many variables to get one definite answer.

Can we agree on that?

yep

I'll say it'd probably be the same for a controlled test though

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Basically, its the part of engineering and science that I hate:

"Well, we've graphed the curve of temperature to time ratio of water cooling in a 30cm^3 pan made of pyrex from boiling down to freezing!"

"Great! lets try it with 31cm^3 of water!"

edit: actually I guess they'd be going by the molar amount of water instead, since hotter water would take up more space.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's called the Mpemba effect

and now I'm going to congratulate myself for remembering something from Thermo without having an aneurysm!

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Scientists are a bunch of pointy-headed motherfuckers.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Basically, its the part of engineering and science that I hate:

"Well, we've graphed the curve of temperature to time ratio of water cooling in a 30cm^3 pan made of pyrex from boiling down to freezing!"

"Great! lets try it with 31cm^3 of water!"

edit: actually I guess they'd be going by the molar amount of water instead, since hotter water would take up more space.

colligative property, so yes.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

and now I'm going to congratulate myself for remembering something from Thermo without having an aneurysm!

I just noticed that the very first reference cited was how to fossilize your hamster and 99 other experiments to try at home.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

I just noticed that the very first reference cited was how to fossilize your hamster and 99 other experiments to try at home.

I didn't see that but holy crap

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    No, it makes a hell of a lot of difference. All of those will affect the freezing time of the water. Also you're a whore who will somehow suck all the fun out of this conversation, so get the fuck out of my thread.
    :| Dear god, man, chill out.

If you put boiled hot water, boiled water that's cooled down, and straight tap water, all in the same exact containers made of the same exact material, for that one experiment, no variables are important other than whether or not the water is boiled and what temperature the water.

But yeah, in other experiments you could test other variables...

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This man's caricature portraits are just the best

Tam on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pain killers and alcohol don't really mix that well :(

r-jasper on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Somebody incorporate this boiled water freezing stuff into some genius MacGuyver-type scenario so I can be interested.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This man's caricature portraits are just the best
    wow, those are crazy weird

it's so odd to have that style be so "photo realistic" in terms of texture/color. it feels a lot more like a photograph that's just been warped a lot.

Daft Punk is scoring the new Tron, awesome.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After I learned that when you put spearmint lifesavers in a ziplock bag and bring it into a dark space (like a closet) and whack with a hammer, it would emit light...I wrote in a science fiction "novel" I was writing (I got 20 pages in! at 16-pt font!) that the people in this futuristic time would use compressed crystals as an alternative light source.

Of course I'm sure I got a billion things wrong when I was writing about it, but hey! I was 9! or 10...

I also came up with a system of "floating" vehicles that would be suspended through electromagnetic forces on the bottom of the vehicles, and on a layer of the roads. Also, on military bases, the polarities were reversed, so civilian vehicles couldn't cross over onto them. The military vehicles could activate sliding plates on the bottom that matched the polarity of the civilian roads, though, so they had full access anywhere.

I kept trying to find really powerful magnets so I could make a model of the system and bring it into class and impress the shit out of everybody. Unfortunately I never found magnets strong enough.

OH MAN I should totally do that now, it would be fantastically awesome. I'd have a floating spaceship model. I wouldn't know where to find magnets like that, though. And I know nothing about electromagnets, and if using them for something like this would even be plausible. I'm guessing no.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Uh, maglev transit is not science fiction anymore in case you thought it was.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    soooo.....I just got back from my granddad's funeral, the whole town was there, it seemed like. It was a beautiful service and my family did alot of crying and laughing together today. I feel alot better and my folks are doing great now.

I just wanted to thank you guys who wished me well, and letting me vent in the chat thread.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's really the least we could have done. Glad to see you back :)
    After I learned that when you put spearmint lifesavers in a ziplock bag and bring it into a dark space (like a closet) and whack with a hammer, it would emit light...I wrote in a science fiction "novel" I was writing (I got 20 pages in! at 16-pt font!) that the people in this futuristic time would use compressed crystals as an alternative light source.

Of course I'm sure I got a billion things wrong when I was writing about it, but hey! I was 9! or 10...

I also came up with a system of "floating" vehicles that would be suspended through electromagnetic forces on the bottom of the vehicles, and on a layer of the roads. Also, on military bases, the polarities were reversed, so civilian vehicles couldn't cross over onto them. The military vehicles could activate sliding plates on the bottom that matched the polarity of the civilian roads, though, so they had full access anywhere.

I kept trying to find really powerful magnets so I could make a model of the system and bring it into class and impress the shit out of everybody. Unfortunately I never found magnets strong enough.

OH MAN I should totally do that now, it would be fantastically awesome. I'd have a floating spaceship model. I wouldn't know where to find magnets like that, though. And I know nothing about electromagnets, and if using them for something like this would even be plausible. I'm guessing no.

That's uh, that's pretty fucking astute for a ten-year-old. Are you sure you aren't some kind of genius?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    soooo.....I just got back from my granddad's funeral, the whole town was there, it seemed like. It was a beautiful service and my family did alot of crying and laughing together today. I feel alot better and my folks are doing great now.

I just wanted to thank you guys who wished me well, and letting me vent in the chat thread.

<hug (again)>

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm glad you're feeling better, Iruka. :) We're all here for you if you need to vent about it any more, as I'm sure you know.

Uh, maglev transit is not science fiction anymore in case you thought it was.

Nah, I know it is. :)
    That's uh, that's pretty fucking astute for a ten-year-old. Are you sure you aren't some kind of genius?
    I have an IQ of 142...so.....maybe? lol

My dad also answered a lot of my questions and told me a lot of science stuff when I was a kid, and I had some really, really awesome books that he let me borrow at a young age. Like, I learned about the fibonacci sequence when I was in the 3rd grade, maybe. I love science, though, so I think I just absorb it like a sponge whenever I hear about it. I think a lot of it just has to do with being a really curious child, though.

[edit] e-penis moment, but whatever! :3

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No prob.

PROX on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have an IQ of 80 which is better than 70.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You threw me off with the 'even be plausible' part. I don't know what part of it you think would be implausible since it's stuff that's already been done on mass scale, unless I've missed something.

And about not being able to find magnets...nerds=internet. Of course there's going to be a magnet store.

The only thing implausible, as far as I can see, is being able to convince yourself it's worth your time and money to do.
    But if you do do it, you should do it with like a couple F-Zero hovercrafts on a slot car track, that'd be totally rad.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I kinda meant "plausible" in like, I don't have to learn a bajillion different technical things and equations and magnet properties, and end up creating something that would kill me in the face, because I have no idea what I'm doing, haha.

Magnet store looks very promising, but the Oh My God I'm Such A Whore For Science part of me really, really wants to make an electromagnet. After browsing the web a bit, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult. I'd just have to worry about heat, I guess. Also I'd have no idea how far any of these magnets could keep my "spaceship" suspended, but I guess that would be something I'd have to figure out through trial and error.
    But if you do do it, you should do it with like a couple F-Zero hovercrafts on a slot car track, that'd be totally rad.

hahahaha holy shit, and add a little fan at the back so it travels along the track.

AND MAKE THE FAN RADIO-CONTROLLED. Yessssss

[edit] oooo, or solar powered. Maybe not as fun, then.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You could always take the easy way out.

"HELLO ENGINEERING STUDENTS I AM A GIRL AND I LIKE SCIENCE DO YOU WANT TO COME TO MY HOUSE AND TEACH ME ABOUT MAGNETS." <wink>

It seems like finding the information needed to pull this project off wouldn't be hugely difficult, but my interest in engineering things is vastly larger than my actual knowledge about engineering, so therefore I'm going to guess that I am probably wrong.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Iruka, I'm glad the day went well and that you are feeling better. Big <3s to you.

And NightDragon are you trying to tell us that you really like science? Because I don't think that point is coming across clearly enough

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You could always take the easy way out.

"HELLO ENGINEERING STUDENTS I AM A GIRL AND I LIKE SCIENCE DO YOU WANT TO COME TO MY HOUSE AND TEACH ME ABOUT MAGNETS." <wink>

"No, seriously."
    "No, seriously."
    "No, seriously."
    It seems like finding the information needed to pull this project off wouldn't be hugely difficult, but my interest in engineering things is vastly larger than my actual knowledge about engineering, so therefore I'm going to guess that I am probably wrong.

haha, I suffer a similar fate. OLOL ILLUSTRATION MAJOR

I have a really smart friend majoring in Physics, maybe he could help me figure out the deal. I may have a friend or two in engineering....OH wait... my uncle is an engineer! hahahaha...can't believe I forgot that. Hmm. I wonder if he'd be able to give me some advice. Not sure. I can always send him off an e-mails, though. I'd probably worry about safety precautions most of all...I don't think what I want to do is *too* complex. I think if I was given a "you should research this, and look out for this", I could probably come up with something decent.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nightdragon is a Borg!

PROX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    And NightDragon are you trying to tell us that you really like science? Because I don't think that point is coming across clearly enough

It's actually all a lie! I've been fooling you all. I'm just a culinary student.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »

It's actually all a lie! I've been fooling you all. I'm just a culinary student.

You say that as though we thought you were studying science or something

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

haha, I suffer a similar fate. OLOL ILLUSTRATION MAJOR

I have a really smart friend majoring in Physics, maybe he could help me figure out the deal. I may have a friend or two in engineering....OH wait... my uncle is an engineer! hahahaha...can't believe I forgot that. Hmm. I wonder if he'd be able to give me some advice. Not sure. I can always send him off an e-mails, though. I'd probably worry about safety precautions most of all...I don't think what I want to do is *too* complex. I think if I was given a "you should research this, and look out for this", I could probably come up with something decent.

I'd guess that your biggest danger is more from working with power tools and taking basic safety precautions (DO NO TOUCH LIVE WIRES) than anything unexpected from the science part of things. Unless you have much a much more grandiose scheme in mind here than I expect, you're probably not going to accidentally wind up making a rail gun.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.