As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Fortress 2: Sandman becomes Nerfbat, Scouts become Emos

• Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Remember when Europe had an unofficial team for the Highlander tournament, that could then play the winner of the US tournament? And then the US winners never bothered actually responding when that team wanted to plan the match? Good times, good times.

Yeah, I remember that.

by that time i think everyone was pretty burnt out

Well the match would have been planned to be a couple of weeks after the tournament, but we didn't even get a response, let alone an actual match.

I hope everybody can see why my heart is all aflutter at the prospect of seeing all this discussion about a potential next tournament in this thread, it is all so very exciting!

I am sorry you have been consistently shafted in these past tournaments democat. I really am. It sounded like Iowa asked us when a good time would be, but by then we weren't really checking steam consistently and we didn't really have a reliable means of communication. I know I didn't get the steam message until I heard people complaining about us never making an appointment. So, yeah, I'm sorry. Have an internet cookie. I internet baked it myself.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    savoo if worst comes to worst you and i will have a tournament of 1v1

Now that's what I call a true highlander tournament!
    demomen erryday wi' a bottle o' scotch

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Zek wrote:
    The Blutsauger just needs its damage nerfed. Blut for escaping and needlegun for killing-while-escaping. Right now the Blut gets it both ways, not having crits isn't nearly enough of a downside.
    How do you escape when you have no deterrent against pursuit? A medic can just barely outpace a demo while backpedalling, provided he can run straight and hits no obstacles. If he can't hurt his pursuer, he is just going to be run down and killed.

I didn't say no damage, I said less. If you don't like it you can pick the needlegun, that's the whole point. You have to choose between prolonging your life while you retreat, or killing your pursuer quickly at the cost of defense. It's a sidegrade. If you know you can't get away without killing them then just use the bonesaw.

It doesn't prolong your life if it encourages the other guy to run you down and kill you, and you in all reality, the only class a medic can outrun while shooting at is the heavy.

It does prolong your life if you have a teammate to kill him, or you're too far away for them to catch up and are healing off of needle spam. Sidegrade. The current Blutsauger has no disadvantage in the 90+% of the time where the needlegun isn't critting, which is retarded.

If you have a teammate there to kill him, you are going to be using your medigun, not the Blutsauger. If you are too far away for them to catch you, you aren't in any immediate danger that requires increased survivability (and your chances of hitting a moving target ensure that you won't be getting much healing anyhow). A weapon that is only useful in situations where you don't want to use it is effectively useless.

Yes, the Blutsauger is an upgrade over the syringe gun. That does not mean it is overpowered. The backburner would have been a clear upgrade over the original flamethrower, so they added the airblast. You think we should take that away and further nerf the backburner as well?
    Buffing the needlegun will have undesirable side effects - giving it more damage/crits or adding uber charging to it will encourage combat Medics which are detrimental to the team.

Yes, because all medics are five-year olds who don't understand the concept of team play and must be pigeonholed into their role.
    Nerfing the Blut will have a pretty negligible impact on the Medic exactly because they already heal 90% of the time like you said, but if it somehow pushes them over the line then they can be buffed in other ways.
    The same logic could be used to support a buff to the syringe gun.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Can we play hunted tonight? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Edit: Simply because you can't play scout. xD

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    rootbeerfloatrootbeerfloat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still like the Amphitheatre map they made for Jening when he had his last concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU0OwrI-RZw

rootbeerfloat on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I still like the Amphitheatre map they made for Jening when he had his last concert

Seriously, Float, what is it with you and Jenning?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Didn't float post that video already?

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blutsausage makes for some hilarious situations though. Like, your on fire, no health packs around, and you need to chase down an enemy pyro to survive.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, if you refer to Quaz as something other than his actual name, he is legally obligated to add it to his sig.

So... people should do this more often until Quaz explodes. Did I say Quaz? I meant Quiz and Wizzle.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    rootbeerfloatrootbeerfloat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah I did, sorry if I wasn't supposed to repost. But it was for a different purpose. Before I was touting the song as being a good message about the new update. But this thread was about cool maps I take it (I only read the OP) and this map was truly INCREDIBLE. And I wanted to share some vid of it with you all.

rootbeerfloat on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah I did, sorry if I wasn't supposed to repost. But it was for a different purpose. Before I was touting the song as being a good message about the new update. But this thread was about cool maps I take it (I only read the OP) and this map was truly INCREDIBLE. And I wanted to share some vid of it with you all.

larry-david-awkward-stare.JPG

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rootbeerfloat, we really don't have a problem with you posting TF2 videos all the time

But don't post the same crappy ones that idolize some guy that has played the same amount of time as many of the guys in here... people might get angry.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't seem to come up with a position that would allow you to see your monitor and post here at the same time as continually having Jening's penis in your mouth.

Also:
    savoo if worst comes to worst you and i will have a tournament of 1v1 in bed
    :winky:

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    I can't seem to come up with a position that would allow you to see your monitor and post here at the same time as continually having Jening's penis in your mouth.
    Laptop?
    Terrible pun...

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    MindspreadMindspread Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree
    Ceci n'est pas une blu dot

Mindspread on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have two monitors for those reasons.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU0OwrI-RZw

That was amazingly beautiful. Who is this stallion jening?

pleh on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    new update.

Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing

fucking finally

Fuga on
  • Options
    HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always thought that was good luck.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's the change your chose to post? The completely meaningless fix? Maybe if it affected gameplay in anyway like fake crits.

Here's everything:
    Gameplay changes

Added a duck timer that prevents duck spamming while running around on-ground

In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again

Fixed several bounding box issues with jumping, falling, and rocket jump air-walking. Bounding box should be much more accurate there now

Increased backstab check so that Spies can side-stab again

When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key

TF2 Fixes

Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing

Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher

Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%

Restored sawmill_logs.mdl file, fixing some user maps that used it

Fixed some localization issues with Scout achievement strings

Removed the "Final" phrasing in the map loading screen

Engine fixes

Fixed a server crash on startup under Linux

Fixed a buffer overflow issue related to network string tables

Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes

CP_Junction

Fixed an exploit where engineers could build a teleporter exit in an invalid area

Fixed a few bad overlay assignments and other minor issues

I don't get the ducking changes, though? Was there an exploit with people ducking more frequently than is humanly possible? Or do they just think people can duck too often and want to limit that?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They've said they fixed that before.

Full update:
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE

I have no idea what the crouch timer thing is about.

Yay for side-stabs though.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key

YES

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    sounds pretty cool for spy

tofu on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

This deserves another quotey quote. Awesome video.

As for the topic of TF2, I'm really loving having come back after not playing for nearly two years to see all these class updates. I'm working on heavy, medic, pyro, and scout all at once, and it's awesome. Sadly, the sniper and spy remain my least played classes, partly because of their lack of unlockables, and partly because I'm terrible with them.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man seriously, what the fuck, a duck timer? Really?

pleh on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    That's the change your chose to post? The completely meaningless fix? Maybe if it affected gameplay in anyway like fake crits.

Here's everything:
    Gameplay changes

Added a duck timer that prevents duck spamming while running around on-ground

In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again

Fixed several bounding box issues with jumping, falling, and rocket jump air-walking. Bounding box should be much more accurate there now

TF2 Fixes

Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher

Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%

Restored sawmill_logs.mdl file, fixing some user maps that used it

Fixed some localization issues with Scout achievement strings

Removed the "Final" phrasing in the map loading screen

Engine fixes

Fixed a server crash on startup under Linux

Fixed a buffer overflow issue related to network string tables

Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes

CP_Junction

Fixed an exploit where engineers could build a teleporter exit in an invalid area

Fixed a few bad overlay assignments and other minor issues

I don't get the ducking changes, though? Was there an exploit with people ducking more frequently than is humanly possible? Or do they just think people can duck too often and want to limit that?

Well I know I used to always jump in the air running into battle (like... on the way there, not actually in the fight) and hit crouch really fast because it seemed to actually work and I assumed it was funny or at least odd from everyone else's perspective, and it was fun for me. Don't ask me why.

Clearly too much fun was had.

Damn you Vaaaalllvveeee!

al-hakim-shaking-fist.jpg

edit: and hooray for the spy changes. Although the weapon showing was kind of easy to fix without switching, hitting last disguise button, and switching back. Just disguise with your pistol out, when it fully disguises switch to whatever you want out. Hell, I had even got myself used to it already.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Its okay, I have 11 minutes of play time with pyro because I hate them so very very much.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is that duck timer real?

Wow what's next, strafe timer? People are clearly dodging too much. They should stand still so snipers can hit them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Spoiled for kitty cursing.
    curseyouvillainsu5.jpg

Verr on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote:
    The Blutsauger just needs its damage nerfed. Blut for escaping and needlegun for killing-while-escaping. Right now the Blut gets it both ways, not having crits isn't nearly enough of a downside.
    How do you escape when you have no deterrent against pursuit? A medic can just barely outpace a demo while backpedalling, provided he can run straight and hits no obstacles. If he can't hurt his pursuer, he is just going to be run down and killed.

I didn't say no damage, I said less. If you don't like it you can pick the needlegun, that's the whole point. You have to choose between prolonging your life while you retreat, or killing your pursuer quickly at the cost of defense. It's a sidegrade. If you know you can't get away without killing them then just use the bonesaw.

It doesn't prolong your life if it encourages the other guy to run you down and kill you, and you in all reality, the only class a medic can outrun while shooting at is the heavy.

It does prolong your life if you have a teammate to kill him, or you're too far away for them to catch up and are healing off of needle spam. Sidegrade. The current Blutsauger has no disadvantage in the 90+% of the time where the needlegun isn't critting, which is retarded.

If you have a teammate there to kill him, you are going to be using your medigun, not the Blutsauger. If you are too far away for them to catch you, you aren't in any immediate danger that requires increased survivability (and your chances of hitting a moving target ensure that you won't be getting much healing anyhow). A weapon that is only useful in situations where you don't want to use it is effectively useless.

Yes, the Blutsauger is an upgrade over the syringe gun. That does not mean it is overpowered. The backburner would have been a clear upgrade over the original flamethrower, so they added the airblast. You think we should take that away and further nerf the backburner as well?
    No, there's no point in continuing to use the medigun if the enemy is going after you and not your teammate, so Medics use the Blut to defend themselves. And even after you've already escaped it's quite useful to refill your health from the extra hits you can get.

And I have no idea how nerfing the Backburner got into your analogy, I never suggested nerfing the needle gun... I think the needle gun is a balanced weapon and the blutsauger is over the top. It's not a huge imbalance because it's not a very important part of the class, but it's there.
    Buffing the needlegun will have undesirable side effects - giving it more damage/crits or adding uber charging to it will encourage combat Medics which are detrimental to the team.

Yes, because all medics are five-year olds who don't understand the concept of team play and must be pigeonholed into their role.
    Yeah, pretty much. If, for example, the needle gun filled some of your uber, you would have people using it proactively to charge an uber instead of healing teammates, which even if they think they're helping would be destructive to the team in the long run.
    Nerfing the Blut will have a pretty negligible impact on the Medic exactly because they already heal 90% of the time like you said, but if it somehow pushes them over the line then they can be buffed in other ways.
    The same logic could be used to support a buff to the syringe gun.
    So you think Medics should be nerfed in other ways to compensate for a needle gun buff?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Did they document that pressing b after changing weapons as a spy would change the disguised weapon or did folks just figure that out?

Yeah, thats what the "last disguise" button is. And I remember seeing that on the update or something.

edit:

...Wut.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is that duck timer real?

Wow what's next, strafe timer? People are clearly dodging too much. They should stand still so snipers can hit them.
    Shooting timer.

Killing mans is now a form of griefing and we dont want to fuck over the 3D IRC client we have going.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Did they document that pressing b after changing weapons as a spy would change the disguised weapon or did folks just figure that out?

Yeah, thats what the "last disguise" button is. And I remember seeing that on the update or something.

edit:

...Wut.

You're seeing things.
    Yeah I had no idea what b was actually for normally.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ladies and mentlegen, after being inspired by the GMod efforts of the illustrious Dr. Zoidberg and others, I dicked around with the program for as little time as possible in order to create the following rushed, half-baked, poorly positioned tail of woe. Please allow me to present you with a tragic scene of friendship and loss in 19 parts that I call, simply, "The Sandvich Machine".

The Sandvich Machine

sandvich_machine_1.jpg
    sandvich_machine_2.jpg
    sandvich_machine_3.jpg
    sandvich_machine_4.jpg
    sandvich_machine_5.jpg
    sandvich_machine_6.jpg
    sandvich_machine_7.jpg
    sandvich_machine_8.jpg
    sandvich_machine_9.jpg
    sandvich_machine_10.jpg
    sandvich_machine_11.jpg
    sandvich_machine_12.jpg
    sandvich_machine_13.jpg
    sandvich_machine_14.jpg
    sandvich_machine_15.jpg
    sandvich_machine_16.jpg
    sandvich_machine_17.jpg
    sandvich_machine_18.jpg
    sandvich_machine_19.jpg

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »
    Ladies and mentlegen, after being inspired by the GMod efforts of the illustrious Dr. Zoidberg and others, I dicked around with the program for as little time as possible in order to create the following rushed, half-baked, poorly positioned tail of woe. Please allow me to present you with a tragic scene of friendship and loss in 19 parts that I call, simply, "The Sandvich Machine".

The Sandvich Machine

sandvich_machine_1.jpg
    sandvich_machine_2.jpg
    sandvich_machine_3.jpg
    sandvich_machine_4.jpg
    sandvich_machine_5.jpg
    sandvich_machine_6.jpg
    sandvich_machine_7.jpg
    sandvich_machine_8.jpg
    sandvich_machine_9.jpg
    sandvich_machine_10.jpg
    sandvich_machine_11.jpg
    sandvich_machine_12.jpg
    sandvich_machine_13.jpg
    sandvich_machine_14.jpg
    sandvich_machine_15.jpg
    sandvich_machine_16.jpg
    sandvich_machine_17.jpg
    sandvich_machine_18.jpg
    sandvich_machine_19.jpg

The look on the heavies face at the end is hilarious.

Good job.

Verr on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love it! Dont be so hard on yourself. :mrgreen:

donhonk on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »

As for the topic of TF2, I'm really loving having come back after not playing for nearly two years to see all these class updates. I'm working on heavy, medic, pyro, and scout all at once, and it's awesome. Sadly, the sniper and spy remain my least played classes, partly because of their lack of unlockables, and partly because I'm terrible with them.

Who on earth spent the time to make Star Fox models for the Source engine?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There's a shit-ton of custom props and characters for Gmod these days. Speaking of which, putting all this Gmod stuff into the Gmod thread for Gmod might be a good idea, rather than cluttering up the tuftoo.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »

Who on earth spent the time to make Star Fox models for the Source engine?

Holy shit, that is awesome as well. WING DAMAGED. WAHWAHWAHWAH.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There's a shit-ton of custom props and characters for Gmod these days. Speaking of which, putting all this Gmod stuff into the Gmod thread for Gmod might be a good idea, rather than cluttering up the tuftoo.

But then I'd have to bring the server back online and that sounds like lame!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I see no reason to give a crap about the duck timer, seems like the only consequence is that you can't be quite as obnoxious to snipers anymore.

Zek on
This discussion has been closed.