As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UC Berkeley Starcraft Class

2»

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would highly recommend going a bit more into the lecture to get everything out of it. He begins with all that Sun Tzu stuff, which is fine and loosely applicable, but he later gets into the real details about the game, the stuff that your average player doesn't exactly have to worry about (APM, scouting, intelligence, etc)

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Haha this is pretty awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People knocking this just suck at starcraft.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I'm an hour into this. They've been going over the big names in Korea, and then into about Americans and foreigners going into Korea. It's disgusting how the Korean culture takes the game so seriously.

Henroid on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay, I'm an hour into this. They've been going over the big names in Korea, and then into about Americans and foreigners going into Korea. It's disgusting how the Korean culture takes the game so seriously.

Well they don't have football in Korea.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Well they don't have football in Korea.

Or Basketball... Or... You get the idea. People take competitions seriously. I live in Ohio, and if I wore a Michigan shirt I'm pretty sure I'd be killed if I walked downtown with it on.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SC isn't that big in Korea. It just is relative to everywhere else. It's been compared to WWE in terms of popularity by some people who have been over in Korea. Not really a comparison I like but haha yeah basically it's kinda like a niche thing that everyone knows about but not everyone enjoys

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People knocking this just suck at starcraft.
    Like a boss

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The last 15 - 20 minutes of this actually gets into the game and teaching something about it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Although gaming chops doesn't necessarily translate to intellect on a one-to-one basis, I'd be willing to wager that pro gamers that can manage the multiple layers and constantly shifting texture of a high-speed Starcraft match would, if applied to something productive with equal zeal, execute that job with exceptional skill. Games tend to train your mind that way, especially resource-based games.
    Jesus Christ, playing Starcraft really well isn't going to teach you shit other than how to play Starcraft really well. And as someone who has actually seriously studied some Game Theory, I find this class to be fucking retarded and offensive to the value of the science.

Seriously, Starcraft is completely uninteresting from a Game Theory perspective. It's a fucking zero-sum game, solvable via simple Nash Equilibriums. Calling this a "class" and trying to put it forth as anything vaguely educational is pretty goddamn stupid; it's a bunch of people who wanted to spend a bunch of time talking about Starcraft, and that's it.

Yes, but all one-credit pass/fail courses are pretty much bullshit. I took a one-credit Winter Camping course and the biggest thing I took away from it was that building igloos is fun but sleeping in them is not.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Although gaming chops doesn't necessarily translate to intellect on a one-to-one basis, I'd be willing to wager that pro gamers that can manage the multiple layers and constantly shifting texture of a high-speed Starcraft match would, if applied to something productive with equal zeal, execute that job with exceptional skill. Games tend to train your mind that way, especially resource-based games.
    Jesus Christ, playing Starcraft really well isn't going to teach you shit other than how to play Starcraft really well. And as someone who has actually seriously studied some Game Theory, I find this class to be fucking retarded and offensive to the value of the science.

Seriously, Starcraft is completely uninteresting from a Game Theory perspective. It's a fucking zero-sum game, solvable via simple Nash Equilibriums. Calling this a "class" and trying to put it forth as anything vaguely educational is pretty goddamn stupid; it's a bunch of people who wanted to spend a bunch of time talking about Starcraft, and that's it.

Yes, but all one-credit pass/fail courses are pretty much bullshit. I took a one-credit Winter Camping course and the biggest thing I took away from it was that building igloos is fun but sleeping in them is not.

My friend took Bowling. All they did was bowl the whole time.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seems the majority of posters jumped in here to give their 2 cents after watching 5 minutes of the lecture, and or none of the lecture at all. If someone made a dedicated game post for Dead Space or some other example and people came in and berated the game after not playing it, or only playing it for 5 minutes everyone would jump on them.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    SC isn't that big in Korea. It just is relative to everywhere else. It's been compared to WWE in terms of popularity by some people who have been over in Korea. Not really a comparison I like but haha yeah basically it's kinda like a niche thing that everyone knows about but not everyone enjoys

Yeah, that would be a pretty accurate assessment. Most people in Korea have heard of Starcraft, but a majority of the people would have a hard time telling you the name of more than one pro-gamer if asked. It definitely falls way way down the ladder of popularity compared to other competitive endeavors here. Soccer, Baseball, Winter sports, and MMA are much more popular than Starcraft as even old ladies and elementary school kids can tell you who JiSung Park is and if he scored a goal last night. Pro-gamers do have their rabid fans, but it's foolish when people come and say it's like the National sport of Korea. That's like saying the WWE is the great past time of the USA because The Rock is a movie star now.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Seems the majority of posters jumped in here to give their 2 cents after watching 5 minutes of the lecture, and or none of the lecture at all. If someone made a dedicated game post for Dead Space or some other example and people came in and berated the game after not playing it, or only playing it for 5 minutes everyone would jump on them.

That's because this has become a D&D post and you're getting all the douchebags that usually hang out there posting in here.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This class is completely useless and a waste of good tuition. Then again, I could say the same of all my humanities.

Zek on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nerds
    Yeah seriously...

If you take this class you are a huge nerd and need to rethink things. You could be learning all sorts of awesome stuff but you take a class on starcraft?

I don't think this should actually be a credit worthy class..

"Hip-Hop Eshu: Queen Bitch 101" English and Textual Studies 350
    Syracuse University
    Description: Students in Professor Greg Thomas' class analyze how Lil' Kim's rhymes challenge male chauvinism and homophobia in the rap world, as well as transcend old standards of sexual politics. The Queen B herself paid the class a visit in November 2004, but naysayers have criticized the course for undermining a serious college curriculum. Unfazed, Thomas also teaches a graduate-level version called "Hip-Hop's Queen Bitch Writings."

"The Beatles" Music History 4
    University of California, Los Angeles
    Description: Professor Tamara Levitz debunks the many myths surrounding the most famous band of all time. Did Yoko Ono break up the Fab Four? Is "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" about LSD? Was "A Hard Day's Night" an accurate depiction of a typical day in the life of the Beatles?

"2Pac" Comparative History of Ideas 270
    University of Washington
    Description: For their final projects, students in Teaching Assistant Georgia Roberts' course have written and performed their own rhymes for class, interviewed former Black Panthers and written a play about Tupac and Nietzsche chatting it up in a bar. Some of Roberts' students have also helped form a reading group at the Seattle Public Library, where they read Hamlet and Malcolm X along with Tupac's published poems. In class, Shakur's work is analyzed next to the literature that inspired it, including Machiavelli's "The Prince" and Sun Tzu's "The Art of War."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1531493/20060510/2pac.jhtml

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That's because this has become a D&D post and you're getting all the douchebags that usually hang out there posting in here.

olol intra-forum rivalries r cool, m i rite?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I would be interested in looking in on this class from a purely technical standpoint - I wonder how much of the actual programming they are going to be discussing, or if most of it focuses on player action. I'm interested in the technical stuff because I was big into SC modding back in the day.
    Game theory is entirely about player action. Which is why Starcraft is such an uninteresting game to evaluate from a game theory perspective.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's just plain impossible that someone could watch most or all of that first lecture, and come out not thinking "oh, hey, playing Starcraft is academically challenging! I should do it because it will help me get a job!"

I watched most of the first lecture, to see if there was anything worthwhile there. There wasn't.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It seemed to me that he was talking more about the physics and equations that go into the game's creation, which seems like interesting subject matter.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's just plain impossible that someone could watch most or all of that first lecture, and come out not thinking "oh, hey, playing Starcraft is academically challenging! I should do it because it will help me get a job!"

I watched most of the first lecture, to see if there was anything worthwhile there. There wasn't.

It's been pointed out that 1 credit pass/fail courses are generally not the foundation on which you are building your career. I'm pretty sure my university had a course on time travel paradoxes, from the philosophy department.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

It's been pointed out that 1 credit pass/fail courses are generally not the foundation on which you are building your career. I'm pretty sure my university had a course on time travel paradoxes, from the philosophy department.

What's the point of these courses then? I'm pretty sure my school didn't offer anything like this, but it's in Canada. Are these throwaway courses an American thing, or was my school just different somehow?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

What's the point of these courses then? I'm pretty sure my school didn't offer anything like this, but it's in Canada. Are these throwaway courses an American thing, or was my school just different somehow?

Electives. They're taken more for personal interests than the actual curriculum, though if they're studying game design, maybe it could help them along somehow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Also something that needs to be pointed out. This was a first lecture.

Here's what 80% of my first lectures consisted of for my entire degree -> Hi, my name is Dr. SoAndSo, here's a syllabus, your assignments are worth X% your midterm is worth Y% your final is worth 100-X-Y%, bye.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know I find it more fun to just imagine things in Starcraft that it is to play. For instance Space Marines dropshipping into a zerg base, mowing down tons of zerglings under heavy fire from hydralisks, and just when you think it is all going to shit its revealed it was all a distraction to cover a nuke strike from a ghost hidden in the confusion.

Thank god for cold fusion.

Detharin on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And Ghost would have had that sort of stuff going on in it - another reason to lament it's cancellation.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh well, at least we have 40k

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Let's not even go there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wondered whether this sort of thing would start popping up. Doesn't seem any sillier to me than the average art or sport course.

Snazzy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It seemed to me that he was talking more about the physics and equations that go into the game's creation, which seems like interesting subject matter.

Does starcraft have physics? Units can stop and turn on a dime, there is minimal acceleration (evident only in super flyers like the battlecruiser or carrier) nothing else (destructible terrain, debris, etc) that would typically have physics applied to it.

Equations I would be interested in though, I never got enough into the nitty gritty of the game to bother learning the relations between size/weapon type/armor type.

Arrath on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    I wondered whether this sort of thing would start popping up. Doesn't seem any sillier to me than the average art or sport course.

Snazzy.

Eh, art has a little more merit than Starcraft. One is culture, the other is on the fringes of popular culture.

Though if you were interested in game design I'm sure it would be a very useful class.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    This class is completely useless and a waste of good tuition. Then again, perhaps the same could be said of all my humanities.

Fixed that for you. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Electives. They're taken more for personal interests than the actual curriculum, though if they're studying game design, maybe it could help them along somehow.

Moreover, these types of electives can't be taken in place of something of substance -- you still have to complete your major requirements and such. At my college, we had to actually complete 132 credits (most places are 120 to graduate). The Extra 12 you could fill in with anything from the college -- you could take an accounting course to learn how to keep books even if you were an English major or whatever. Don't think of it as much as a throwaway, look at it as an opportunity to break out of your major and just take some things for fun.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Starcraft is actually pretty interesting to watch if you've played seriously at all. Starcraft is also a lot of fun to mod. Hell, Starcraft in general is interesting if you have put any real amount of time into it and people saying it isn't complicated and that it's easy to learn are just being dumb.

Whether it's worth an elective credit is moot as it's an elective and is meant to cater to interests that students may have.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wibod wrote: »
    Starcraft is also a lot of fun to mod.

I have forgotten more about modding Starcraft than most people even know is possible.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have forgotten more about modding Starcraft than most people even know is possible.

xXDragonBallz sNiPerzz paintBALL ARENA BETA2Xx

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

xXDragonBallz sNiPerzz paintBALL ARENA BETA2Xx

Contrary to what many companies would have you believe today modding and mapping are two completely different things.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Are there any universities that offer courses on Seinfeld? Because, you know, I would nail that final exam.

You get into UC Berkeley, which I know is an extremely prestigious university, and you take a class on Starcraft. I want to hear that phone conversation with the parents.

Dude, it's ONE class. It's not like they are majoring in Starcraft.

There is nothing wrong with taking 1 blow off class just to ease the work load and have some fun while learning.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...