As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, I think I remember watching that match. From what I remember, I was cheering in front of the TV during the entirety of it.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    WestfordeWestforde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That was the first thing I noticed, as it was the only thing I was able to notice, because I can't read Swedish. It's Swedish, right?

Correct

Westforde on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate the feeling wrestling gives me these days. The nostalgia of how much I used to love it as a kid feels contaminated by the current product and I'm not 100% sure what it is they're doing wrong but it just doesn't feel the same. Maybe we were spoiled by the golden era before and during the attitude era. Or perhaps they just hit the nail on the head during those days and are struggling to find its current niche. Maybe being a youngster at the time factors into it but these days it seems like a parody of itself, some form of self-aware exploitation. I remember it being a genuinely entertaining product but any time I watch lately I feel like they're trying too hard. Or maybe they're not trying hard enough. Not that wrestling was too great at the time when WCW went down, but only a fool would argue the lack of a major competitor didn't change the fundamental product.

For a long time I felt it was just the writing - wrestling had stayed the same which to me felt like a denial of the natural evolution of the product... if only competent writers could come in and tone down the shock value soap opera shit in favor of a more appropriate model in this modern age of the internet where technical prowess could take the front seat and ridiculousness kept at a minimum. It just hasn't evolved and sometimes it's downright silly. A lot of this seems to be Vince's fault, when he convinces himself he's right there's no changing things. I met Vince's kids when my mom used to work for WWF, got to play around in the Greenwich headquarters. Fun tidbit: I got to hang out in the coffin prior to it being used for the Undertaker/Yokozuna casket match. When Vince is out of there, I fully expect Shane and Stephanie to reinvent the product. It might be subtle but I couldn't imagine it not happening. They're really bright, nice people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfie2JFpLGE

I miss these days. Not sure what King is trying to say at 3:02, though.

I think we just need a formidable opponent to WWE. Some real competition. Not sure where it would come from though.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Someone with enough income that the hemorraging a new wrestling company would bring wouldn't hurt them.

Which is what Ted Turner did. Despite WCW losing money, he was making enough with his other companies that it didn't matter until things turned around in '96.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think there was just way more wrestling than there is today. And they were entertaining matches too. I am sick of all the backstage stuff they do today. Seems like the shows are 85% backstage/talking and 15% wrestling (if that). And wrestlers used to have gimmicks. Now they are all just regular people.

I have four old school wrestling figures on my shelf right here (for fire pro editing reasons). They are each so different and interesting. Ultimate Warrior (insanely powerful guy), Macho Man/King (ooooh yeaa), Rowdy Piper (wears a kilt and seemed to have a temper), and the Undertaker (dead guy). Now?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think one of the main problems is WWE doesn't give a shit about the midcard anymore. There used to be storylines aplenty for those guys who were still clawing their way to the top. Now? There's like... 4 stories across 2 shows, at best. How do they expect other guys to get over if they don't give them shit to work with?

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    For a long time I felt it was just the writing - wrestling had stayed the same which to me felt like a denial of the natural evolution of the product... if only competent writers could come in and tone down the shock value soap opera shit in favor of a more appropriate model in this modern age of the internet where technical prowess could take the front seat and ridiculousness kept at a minimum.

Sounds like ROH would be right up your alley.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I used to love the I.C. title scene. Hell, I used to love the tag team scene. There were so many teams. LOD, Godwins, Bodydonnas, Smoking Guns, Headbangers, etc etc.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Decided to watch RAW last night after watching nothing but huge backlogs of old ECW tapes for the past couple months. The Jericho angle is pretty interesting, Big Show/Vicki is disgusting. John Cena is so over it is ridiculous.

I think the most bullshit stuff about modern WWE aside from the current storylines is the commercial breaks in the middle of fucking matches. I was actually enjoying the MIB match until they cut it right as Kane got tagged in.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21zon_dx-the-radicalz-vs-cactus-jack-the_extreme

There's the match. It's one of my favorite Raw matches ever. And Jesus, rewatching it, it's insane to hear the crowd. This was when the WWE was really firing on all cylinders.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I was never an IC kind of guy, I was more of a European belt kind of guy.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21zon_dx-the-radicalz-vs-cactus-jack-the_extreme

There's the match. It's one of my favorite Raw matches ever. And Jesus, rewatching it, it's insane to hear the crowd. This was when the WWE was really firing on all cylinders.

Didn't that Raw go to like, 11:30 or something? I distinctly remember that match lasting well past the standard 11:05.

The crowd pops for everyone in that match is an absolutely crazy level. There hasn't been pops like that for anyone in the WWE in a long long time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Didn't that Raw go to like, 11:30 or something? I distinctly remember that match lasting well past the standard 11:05.

The crowd pops for everyone in that match is an absolutely crazy level. There hasn't been pops like that for anyone in the WWE in a long long time.

Man I remember watching that one

And it was back when Triple H looked borderline normal

Edit: I'd forgotten how much Too Cool were involved in that match, but goddamn that must have been a good push for them

2nd Edit: And the Kane bit at the end... Terrifying

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know I can't remember if Too Cool had a finisher other than losing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Remember when Shamrock broke the guys ankle?

Youch

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Remember when Shamrock broke the guys ankle?

Youch

Remember when Tank Abbot first debuted in WCW and they tried to sell his punches as "knock outs" but when his chubby ass couldn't hit a guy in the chin it became a heart punch? That was hilarious.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Man I remember watching that one

And it was back when Triple H looked borderline normal

Edit: I'd forgotten how much Too Cool were involved in that match, but goddamn that must have been a good push for them

2nd Edit: And the Kane bit at the end... Terrifying

I love that Foley hits Benoit off of whoever that was he was pinning. He was pinning the wrong guy (Cactus was legal from what I saw) and Foley hit him to stop the pin but HHH didn't try to stop him I guess like he was supposed to. Heh. Still an awesome match.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

* WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – Hotty and Rikishi[6]
    * WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time) – Rikishi[5]
    * WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time) – Scotty 2 Hotty[3]
    * WWF Tag Team Championship (1 time) – Sexay and Hotty[4]

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well I know Rikishi had a finisher, man the tag champs even... good lord.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think they were tag champs for a short while, so maybe?

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Thats Grand Master Sexay

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Too Cool was always silly, but they were fun. It was too bad when they got run out of the company.

It's funny, I don't have any desire to really watch wrestling anymore, but I can look back at the old DX stuff, esp. when the Rock was involved, and man. That shit is compelling. Or, to take it back to last thread, those clips of Jake the Snake vs. Macho Man. Before my time in terms of really watching it, but there's definite edge there.

I see clips from today, and it just seems stilted to me. I think it's mostly that a lot of the most charismatic people from the 90s heyday moved on/slowed down/burnt out, and they haven't replaced them with equivalent stars.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Too Cool was always silly, but they were fun. It was too bad when they got run out of the company.

It's funny, I don't have any desire to really watch wrestling anymore, but I can look back at the old DX stuff, esp. when the Rock was involved, and man. That shit is compelling. Or, to take it back to last thread, those clips of Jake the Snake vs. Macho Man. Before my time in terms of really watching it, but there's definite edge there.

I see clips from today, and it just seems stilted to me. I think it's mostly that a lot of the most charismatic people from the 90s heyday moved on/slowed down/burnt out, and they haven't replaced them with equivalent stars.
    It's pretty much because Vince doesn't want stars being hurt. Thats why you never see any real rope moves or real high flying turnbuckles moves as often anymore. Those aren't the only reason, but it's a part of it.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For high flying matches we probably got to hope for Evan Bourne and Rey Mysterio to meet in the ring. But other than that alot of the high risk / High impact moves are long gone. You'd never see someone thrown off the roof of a Hell in the Cell any more or Kane leaping off the top of a cage for a Flying Clothesline from hell. Its a shame cause alot of those HOLY SHIT moments when a guy does something no one expects does the seemingly impossible/Utterly dangerous that makes JR sound like he's three seconds away from a heart attack. OHH GAWD HE'S BEEN BROKEN IN HALF SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD CALL A MEDIC!!!

Now that I think about it I'm shocked Lawler can hear out of his left ear after sitting next to JR all those years.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The funny thing is that still hasn't stopped injuries. Guys are still getting injured even on the more tamer stuff.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A lot of the problem is the touring schedule. If they cut out house shows and just let their guys work once or MAYBE twice in a week, they could do crazy stuff and not get hurt nearly as often. They also should soften the mat.

Also, probably the best way to get hurt is to constantly worry about getting hurt.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tag Team Unification Match at Wrestlemania. That should be good.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And this whole "safer working style" is the reason John Cena's finisher is the weakest looking thing I've ever seen. Just have him do the STF and be done with it. This... whatever they're calling it now because the F-U isn't PG has always been terrible. Some weird-ass side-flopping fireman's carry that they pretend is a Death Valley Driver is pretty pathetic.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And this whole "safer working style" is the reason John Cena's finisher is the weakest looking thing I've ever seen. Just have him do the STF and be done with it. This... whatever they're calling it now because the F-U isn't PG has always been terrible. Some weird-ass side-flopping fireman's carry that they pretend is a Death Valley Driver is pretty pathetic.

It's kinda funny that the F5 is a great finisher, the FU is an awful one. Why? Because in one the guy lands on his front, the other on his back.

Well, maybe not great, but noone had a problem with it.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The F-5 was a good finisher because it was unique. No, it wasn't particularly impactful, but it took a lot of athleticism to get a guy up there and swing them around like that. It looked cool, and as far as I know, no one had done anything like that up to that point.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Too Cool had a finisher.

Scotty would do the worm and then Sexay would put on his goggles and finish em off with a leg drop from the top rope

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh god I forgot about the flight goggles
    ...they do nothing!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    TheBigDaddyDowdTheBigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That video is some of the best stuff I've seen in awhile. If the WWE could just bring 1/10th of that back it might be worth watching.

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
    AC City folk=2965-2082-7154
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, since we're talking about awesome eyewear, let us not forget the classic Christian sunglasses:

EdgeChristian.jpg

For the benefit of those with flash photography...

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That video is some of the best stuff I've seen in awhile. If the WWE could just bring 1/10th of that back it might be worth watching.

You know what I love about that video, the pop the worm gets.

Holy Crap I remember watching this on TV when I was in college, I completely freaked out when Paul Bearer came out. Was a little let down by Kane, but Paul Bearer showing up was rad

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm Not up on TNA all that much (for obvious reasons) but match really caught my attention. This is from TNA's Victory Road 08 PPV as part of their World X Cup Tournament. After watching this match last ngiht (twice in fact) I had to ask myself two questions:

1. Why can't wrestling be this good all the time?

2. Why can't we at least see something like this in WWE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17ZbOZ25s4&feature=PlayList&p=65AE896F2BA516D7&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLfJpao-W8&feature=PlayList&p=65AE896F2BA516D7&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEYu709bI8&feature=PlayList&p=65AE896F2BA516D7&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2y1eFx9Ww&feature=PlayList&p=65AE896F2BA516D7&index=3

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Part of the reason is Vince hates anyone who isn't huge. Another part is TNA doesn't have the schedule that WWE does, so all their guys have plenty of time to rest up in between tapings, which means that they can do more high risk shit without having to be as concerned about injury as a WWE guy who's on the road 5 days a week.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TNA is really no better than the WWE at this point. The X Division is an afterthought, and the same guys we've been watching main event since 1998 are still main eventing, and very few new stars have broken through.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's pretty much because Vince doesn't want stars being hurt. Thats why you never see any real rope moves or real high flying turnbuckles moves as often anymore. Those aren't the only reason, but it's a part of it.

I don't even know if this is really it. Like, in that DX/radicals/cactus jack match, there's only a little bit of high flying stuff.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I don't even know if this is really it. Like, in that DX/radicals/cactus jack match, there's only a little bit of high flying stuff.

To be fair, none of those guys were high fliers in the sense that they did a ton of top rope moves. Eddie had the Frog Splash, Benoit did the diving headbutt... everyone had maybe one or two top rope moves in their regular arsenal. I mean, you're not gonna see Dean Malenko hit a 450 splash. If you compare the cruiserweights in ROH or even TNA's X Division, then you start to see how their movesets are stifled by Vince and Co.

Skittlebrau on
This discussion has been closed.