As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Atheism and Universal Negative statements.

2»

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    now I'm glad I made that unicorn saddle

what defines it from horse saddle?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Casket wrote:
    atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious.

What exactly is the obvious?
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    now I'm glad I made that unicorn saddle

what defines it from horse saddle?

i painted a rainbow on it

Doc on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    There is no giant undetectable unicorn floating around the moon in lunosynchronous orbit.

There is no God.

You bullshitter, just because one thing doesn't exist doesn't mean another thing doesn't exist.

Explain how they are different.

You simply can't disprove something's existence by saying something else doesn't exist. Christ.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious.

What exactly is the obvious?

That the idea of a God was invented by man and doesn't correspond to reality.

So how do you explain the causation of the universe? And the intelligent design of physics and systems like evolution

Why do I need to?

What about physics is "intelligent"? What about the process of evolution is "intelligent"? Why would those things, even were they to be intelligent (whatever that means) be evidence for a supreme benevolent omnipotent deity-figure, which is what most people mean when they say "God"?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    There is no giant undetectable unicorn floating around the moon in lunosynchronous orbit.

There is no God.

It is the exact same type of statement. There is no reason, logically or evidence-based, to think that either of those things exist. Therefore, I state, with confidence, that they don't.

I find it amusing that some people get ridiculously pedantic when saying that atheists can't possibly exist because they haven't examined every corner of everything, and yet fail to be that pedantic about the meaning of every word in the sentence they just uttered, and indeed the very idea of words and their link to meanings.

It's not pedantic. It's logic.

One cannot prove a universal negative claim. It's not possible.

So why would people who are trying to be logical make a universal negative claim and then argue that it is true?

It doesn't make sense. If we're being rational and logical we wouldn't make illogical or irrational claims. And claiming to have proved a universal negative true IS an irrational and illogical claim.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

There is no God.

You bullshitter, just because one thing doesn't exist doesn't mean another thing doesn't exist.

You simply can't disprove something's existence by saying something else doesn't exist. Christ.

He's not saying X, therefore Y. He's comparing them.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    oh god

unicorn poo is like horse poo

Doc on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    I can state with great surety that there is no unicorn in Doc's living room.

Because I stole it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

There is no God.

He's not saying X, therefore Y. He's comparing them.

What the hell is the point of that?

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

but it gives you +4 luck if you lick it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

Because I stole it.

You bastard! You're a unicorn thief!

_J_ on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

Can it preserve life like Unicorn blood?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

There is no God.

Hey, ho. Let's back up, shall we? I don't want to go too fast for ya.

I wasn't saying "tennis balls are yellow, therefore golf balls are yellow." That wouldn't follow. I was saying the very same reasoning that leads us to state, with confidence, that there is no invisible unicorn around the moon is the reasoning behind saying there is no God.

Both, if they were to exist, would be by definition undetectable and their interferences impossible to measure, quantify, explain, or define.

Both have no evidence for their existence, at all.

Both are constructed in such a way as to never be able to be disproven ("You just can't see the unicorn, but he's there" or "You just can't see, feel, hear, or in any way logically detect God, but he's there").

Is it becoming clear why I said what I said?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Casket wrote:
    MikeMan445 wrote:

There is no God.

A.) You used the phrase "intelligent design" in an argument. That's an automatic fail.

B.) He's using one as an analogy for the other to show that they are both rational arguments. I mean, can you disprove an undetectable unicorn? Of course not, but you accept that it isn't there.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

Because I stole it.

Did you take his x-box too?

moniker on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Even if there was a god, I wouldn't worship him.

Is that weak atheism or strong atheism or what?
    Sheer bloodymindedness, I should think.

Why?

Why should the existence of an omnibenevolent god necessarily mean I would believe in him? He won't zap me with lightening because he's omnibenevolent.

Even if it was somewhat proven without the smallest bit of doubt that God exists, I think there are a lot of people who still couldn't care less. Not everyone needs a god in their life.

Quoting myself because I think this is a valid avenue of debate to explore.

The question has always been whether or not God exists. Yet I think the question of whether or not people would worship him (if it was proven that he exists) is worth exploring as well.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MikeMan445 wrote:
    Hey, ho. Let's back up, shall we? I don't want to go too fast for ya.

I wasn't saying "tennis balls are yellow, therefore golf balls are yellow." That wouldn't follow. I was saying the very same reasoning that leads us to state, with confidence, that there is no invisible unicorn around the moon is the reasoning behind saying there is no God.

Both, if they were to exist, would be by definition undetectable and their interferences impossible to measure, quantify, explain, or define.

Both have no evidence for their existence, at all.

Both are constructed in such a way as to never be able to be disproven ("You just can't see the unicorn, but he's there" or "You just can't see, feel, hear, or in any way logically detect God, but he's there").

Is it becoming clear why I said what I said?

No. Because you're comparing a particular negative "There are no invisible unicorns in this particular area" with a universal negative "there is no God, anywhere, ever".

And those two claims are different.

If, however, you claimed that there is no unicorn in this bowl and no God in this bowl you would be making similar claims.

But comparing a particular claim to a universal is just silly. Silly like being a unicorn thief.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

no, that's what the blood is for. poo is luck, blood is life. hoof shavings sprinkled on a baby wards off thieving faeries, and the meat cooks itself if you put it on an iron skillet.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

no, that's what the blood is for. poo is luck, blood is life. hoof shavings sprinkled on a baby wards off thieving faeries, and the meat cooks itself if you put it on an iron skillet.

Iron skillet? I thought mythril.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Even if there was a god, I wouldn't worship him.

Is that weak atheism or strong atheism or what?
    Sheer bloodymindedness, I should think.

Why?

Why should the existence of an omnibenevolent god necessarily mean I would believe in him? He won't zap me with lightening because he's omnibenevolent.

Even if it was somewhat proven without the smallest bit of doubt that God exists, I think there are a lot of people who still couldn't care less. Not everyone needs a god in their life.

Quoting myself because I think this is a valid avenue of debate to explore.

The question has always been whether or not God exists. Yet I think the question of whether or not people would worship him (if it was proven that he exists) is worth exploring as well.

I wouldn't worship him because I don't agree with the idea of worship in the first place.

In the second place, if there is a God, he's a jerk, so I most definitely would not worship him or follow him or whatever.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

Is the horn an aphrodisiac?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

Only if it's green.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, these religion threads are like a verbal Blood War.
    </total nerd>

Cheezy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

Iron skillet? I thought mythril.

it's because of their fay evolutionary origins. clocking a unicorn with an iron skillet is also a great way to kill it, if you feel so inclined. it's the equivalent of smacking a regular horse with a flaming sledgehammer.

no lie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Glaeal wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    oh god

Which one?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Way to drag the thread off-topic guys.

Way to go.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.