As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual Twilight Drinking Tournament (APRIL FOOLS)

1235»

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Give me a day or two and ok make everyone happy. Stop with the butthurt until then.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Atlus is just pissed that he has to change the decals on his van. It ain't 2 wicked no more.

atltwi.jpg

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, so now I'm confused.

Are we pissed that the theme is Twilight, or are we pissed because the theme is not Harry Potter?

Personally, I think Harry Potter worked so well because of 3 things.

1. The books never took themselves seriously
    2. It was actually a fun series that most people loved, and those who didn't could at least tolerate
    3. The epic "I put on my robe and my wizard hat," and not for the quote it self, but just the sillyness of of drunken wizards.

Twilight doesn't have any of those, at all. The book takes itself too seriously. From what I can see, most people on here do not like the series, and many can't tolerate it. And where is that silly aspect? The Robe/Wizard hat part? Dressing up as sparkly emo kids isn't silly, it's just dumb, and some might think malicious, because we're not doing it for the sillyness of it, we're doing it to make fun of the hot topic rejects.

See, I don't care what the theme is, as long as it has the ability to be silly. The CMSCP, is super silly. Guys in bad ties, backpacks, and helmets, preaching the word of the beer. It reeks of comedy. Clan Belmont, is super silly. (Of course, when I say this, I'm thinking of the Captain N Belmont, not necessarily a vamp hunter, but the sillyness is there.)

I can't find silly in twilight, only pain and depression. That's why I'm against this theme.

here's comes the big but....

BUT!

I'll admittedly be a hypocrit now. I want this theme to stay. Why, you ask? Because I think with the addition of the two factions to the crawl (which is all that these break offs were, other options to go as with the crawl), the quotient of sillyness is there. We no longer have to look at it with the eyes of "It's twilight," we can look at it as, "It's Vampires vs. Werewolves vs. Demon Hunters vs. Mormons." I have an idea for a game that will bridge the gap of the factions, and keep the comradery of what the Pub Crawl truly is for. I'll throw it by Atlus later today, once I finalize the idea with Mao.

So I hearby officially change my stance. I like the vampire/werewolf theme...if it's twilight, meh, if it's straight up vamp/were...even better.

*gets off soapbox*

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm kinda disapointed in you, PAX forums. Why couldn't you all have been like this nice sane person.
    Randomfool wrote: »
    I'm not too concerned with the theme, I'm just looking forward to hanging out with a bunch of PAXers be they vampires, werewolves or mormons.

I'm slightly disappointed Broken Angel won't be bringing a gaggle of 21 year old girls with her but I'll survive. somehow...

Take it for the excuse to have fun and get drunk in public with your fellow geeks that it is. But you didn't, did you. Instead you took it too seriously, and got all up in arms about it.

It's just supposed to be fun and games, relax ok?

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm kinda disapointed in you, PAX forums. Why couldn't you all have been like this nice sane person.
    Randomfool wrote: »
    I'm not too concerned with the theme, I'm just looking forward to hanging out with a bunch of PAXers be they vampires, werewolves or mormons.

I'm slightly disappointed Broken Angel won't be bringing a gaggle of 21 year old girls with her but I'll survive. somehow...

Take it for the excuse to have fun and get drunk in public with your fellow geeks that it is. But you didn't, did you. Instead you took it too seriously, and got all up in arms about it.

It's just supposed to be fun and games, relax ok?

*gets back on soapbox*

I'm sorry, sir, I'm going to have to say that you are wrong in thinking that.

Yes, it is an excuse to get drunk in public with your fellow geeks, but to call posing as twilight vampires fun, is obviously not the sentiment here.

Yes, we may be taking it a little too far by making our own groups, but, once again, we are not flipping the bird (have you heard the word?) to the crawl that started it.

Let me ask you this...do you think, that if last year's pub crawl was just your standard crawl, no theme, no shenanigans, just a bunch of people getting drunk in public that just happened to be geeks, that this crawl would be so legendary now that it inspires this kind of disdain? (possibly too strong of a word, but it gets the point across)

The answer is no. And this is why.

Last year, the crawl started during the Pre-PAX dinner. A lot of people showed up late and saw that it was at a gay bar. Now, a lot of us looked at it, and were not really in the mood to start the night off in that sort of atmosphere, so we went off on our own and did our own little mini crawl. For the people involved with that, it was hella fun, but only for those involved. You don't hear the epic stories of hilarity on here, you don't see any videos, because it was just a bunch of geeks having a good, albeit relaxed, time.

The point is, you don't hear about that. You may not even know that happened. But the stories of drunken wizards, and stopping traffic became legendary. It was silly, it was goofy, and yes, some people didn't participate with the theme and still had epic lulz.

This brings me back to this particular crawl. Like I said in my previous post, Twilight does not reek of comedy nor sillyness, it reeks of brooding, emo depression. Yes, that will be counteracted by the fact that a bunch of awesome people will be hanging out and getting drunk, but barely anyone here wants to participate fully in the theme, besides joining the team to play the games.

The games, and the theme is what makes this crawl a legendary character. You combine this crawl with the Pre-PAX dinner and what you get is the most epic pre-party to the party of the year for us. It needs to have that pinache, that hook, for it to be the difference between a great time, and the most badass pub crawl that ever crawled.

Atlus hit on it last year perfectly, this year not so much. But the part that most people are missing is that we are not trying to undermine, or hijack the crawl. There are people out there who want to dress up, play in the games and not just drink. But we just can't see ourselves as sparkling, emotastic, neck biters. Neck biters are definitely cool, sparklies, well, could be funny. But the fact that this series that the theme is based on is so ungodly bad (by most people's opinions on here, and you have to go with the majority on things of this issue), it pushes people away. Which this crawl should not do.

This crawl is an announcement to the city of Seattle, saying, "Guess what? For the next three days, we own you. This is Arcadia now. This is our home. We are geeks, nerds, and gamers and we are goddamned proud of it. If you don't like it, GTFO!"

I'm pretty sure what this theme was supposed to be was to poke fun at the series, like the Harry Potter theme before. When that was announced last year, it had the same drama (not nearly this big and dividing) because people were not getting that it was a joke. The difference between that theme and this one, though, goes back to the silliness of it.

Which is funnier:
    A. Drunk guy wearing a robe and wizard hat
    B. Drunk emo guy
    C. Drunk emo guy fake fighting drunk vampire hunter fake fighting drunk mormon
    D. A and C are equal

That's what were yelling about. Not the Pub Crawl spirit of hanging out with friends, but what makes it more than that. The epic Lulz, the legendary status, the thing that makes you absolutely love what it is. The sense of community that this is supposed to bring. And quite frankly, this theme is not doing that.

All we are doing is making this something people can get behind. We're not our own crawl, we're not trolling this crawl. Hell, I hope Atlus takes these ideas and incorporates it into his theme, so that he doens't have to go back and completely restructure the crawl. Atlus is a witty, funny, smart guy. Honestly, I still think this is a joke to epically announce the start of the crawl, with the real theme to come up later. But like I said in the earlier post, I'm beginning to see what can happen with this to hit that legendary status.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    d20dicerollerd20diceroller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone can call it butthurt if they want, but my enthusiasm has waned. I would like to participate in some pre-pax stuff but not emo clamata juice drinking / non-emo hot topic hating / video game character I am not invested in / what games can even be made out of this digusting geek gumbo!? type of pub crawl.

d20diceroller on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ...I just wanna drink with my friends. :(

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I must say, I was looking forward to the Harry Potter-ness.

I'm not butt hurt, and I definitely understand both sides, I just... long to be a drunken wizard. And I have a group of friends coming who were totally excited about the Harry Potter-ness.

Well, anyway... unless you bring back the HP...

I guess I'll either maybe be a Mormon or a Vampire Hunter. Maybe.

Or a Mormon Vampire Hunter?

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ...I just wanna drink and make new friends. :(

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just want to hit on drunk wimminz!!!

Azazel on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm nowhere near being a fan of Harry Potter or Twilight, but I would tag along either way. I won't be joining a group or anything though, because of the whole filming thing, but it will still be fun.
    ...I just wanna drink with my friends. :(
    Azazel wrote: »

These are a couple ways I'm looking at it. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

No creepers.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

No creepers.

Dont worry, he fails at doing that anyway.
    They usually just end up laughing at him.
    Its true
    ive seen it
    it was lols

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that would be pretty good lols indeed. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I mentioned the pub crawl on twitter and got followed by http://www.pubvite.com/pubcrawlplanner/

It actually looks like it might be useful!

And JohnnyNero: While I hope there is a gay bar on the crawl this year, be warned that most of us think Mormon missionaries are hot.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I mentioned the pub crawl on twitter and got followed by http://www.pubvite.com/pubcrawlplanner/

And JohnnyNero: While I hope there is a gay bar on the crawl this year, be warned that most of us think Mormon missionaries are hot.

Whatevs...the whole issue last year was that I didn't know we were going to gay bars, now that I know...I have time to prepare

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That pubvite site was pointed it out to me at one point.

It is what an amateur would use.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »

Whatevs...the whole issue last year was that I didn't know we were going to gay bars, now that I know...I have time to prepare

I'm curious what special preparations gay bars require? :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    skarsol wrote: »
    JonnyNero wrote: »

I'm curious what special preparations gay bars require? :P

Burlap pants and war paint, with a spritz of ripe tangerine.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    In regards to The Crescent, I had no idea that it was a gay bar either. Most of the bars were leftover from Mono's original route but even when I was looked The Crescent up online I had read a review that said it was no longer a gay bar.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    pretty sure The Crescent wasn't a part of my route

Monoxide on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't get why every one is upset about a gay bar. They serve alcohol like any other, and given (assuming) that the majority of us aren't gay, showing up pretty much converts the bar straight for the time we're their.

redhalo on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    I don't get why every one is upset about a gay bar. They serve alcohol like any other, and given (assuming) that the majority of us aren't gay, showing up pretty much converts the bar straight for the time we're their.

Please don't make an issue of it. I just brought it up to poke a little fun, not start a debate.

Reviews on Yelp makes The Crescent sounds unusual enough to be fun: "...a place that we all love for our own weird reasons, the crescent.
    I am confused how do you rate a place that is so bad it's good. The crescent is your dirty weird cousin that nobody gets to pick on but you." and "...not a straight bar or gay bar or young bar or old bar but somewhere all alcoholics can meet and have a good time. "

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
This discussion has been closed.