As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4-1-09: Where YOU are the fool...

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Graphic Violence
...If you bought Rebirth #1. It wasn't that great.

But the MOTW for me was JSA #25:
The wizard Shazam returns after Jay frees him from the Rock of Finality, and he takes back Adam's power, as well as Isis, Mary's and Billy's (Billy turns into "Black Billy" for a bit. Not, you know, black, but a dark Marvel version. It wasn't as bad as Mary Marvel's was.

He also turns Teth Adam and Adrianna (Isis) into statues, and disappears, threatening to go after Freddy Freeman and his "different" magic (someone care to explain that? I didn't read Trials of Shazam), leaving Billy and Mary no access to the Rock of Eternity.

Also, the JSA cuts no members, and Atom Smasher returns. Very good issue, with Ordway art.

Sorry about the spoiler tags, my bad, really. but hey, here's a scan for you to show if it's true or not:
jsa25.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, can't say they don't deserve it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No stand out moment in it but War of Kings #2 was all-around great I thought.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Those broken spoiler tags better be an April Fool's joke, TexiKen or, God help me, there's going to be blood.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What's the next arc?

I skipped this one because I don't care about the Marvel family.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

I didn't buy it, but my Comic Book Shop Owner Guy was recommending it like mad every time someone walked in. Weird! He usually has an okay opinion.

So far, I only read Messiah War Part 2...
    You find out Bishop helped Stryfe kill Apocalypse in exchange for help with Cable. Deadpool was working for Stryfe after sitting buried for an extremely long time, but said he "went too far" or something. Cable and Wolverine argue and Cable punches him, then as they decide to calm down and figure out what's going on, a bunch of guys you can't really see with big blades for arms come and Deadpool's like "Oh, crap! I forgot to mention these guys, didn't I?". Deadpool had a few funny lines, something like Wolverine reminding him he was never an X-Man and Deadpool says "Continuity stickler!".

And Iron Man.
    Pepper saves the plane and then gets arrested! Maria Hill appears to be taken over by the Controller! Tony fights Namor, and barely escapes. Norman Osborn puts out a bounty of 1 billion something or other (Gold? I can't remember) in exchange for Tony's head. Very eventful issue.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, more back-up strips were in the DC nation page:

Action Comics will get a Captain Atom back-up (try and rehab that shitstorm of character assassination)

Green Arrow will have a Black Canary back-up (which is....weird. Just charge an extra dollar but put more content in it)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, more back-up strips were in the DC nation page:

Action Comics will get a Captain Atom back-up (try and rehab that shitstorm of character assassination)

Green Arrow will have a Black Canary back-up (which is....weird. Just charge an extra dollar but put more content in it)
    I think they aren't going to be together anymore (it used to be Green Arrow/Black Canary) now that they are on opposing leagues (which is a dumb as hells idea) I think they may be working separately.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Irredeemable 1 was kind of a non-event, but I imagine in 2 or 3 issues it'll be pretty decent. A couple things about it:
    The super-hero team that was more or less the minor Super Friends characters. Samsara, which is an awesome name/concept for a character that, in the brief glimpse, was carried off pretty successfully.

War of Kings 2, well...
    Man, fuck Gladiator. If he doesn't step in, we'll hate him because he's Gladiator. If he does step in, we'll hate him, because he's Gladiator.

Fuck Gladiator.

Destroyer was even better than I thought it would be.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moment of the week.

A full work print of Wolverine being released on the torrents, supposedly it's DVD quality, doesn't have the full music and most of the CGI effects aren't there otherwise it's the movie, oh yeah the extra 14 minutes they later went and filmed aren't in there either but overall it's suppose to be god awful. I mean really bad. Deadpool fans are in for a major disappointment.

Also it has some Batman Begin music in one scene according to those who watched it, go figure.

Karma coming back to bite Fox in the ass maybe?

Cade on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    Moment of the week.

A full work print of Wolverine being released on the torrents, supposedly it's DVD quality, doesn't have the full music and most of the CGI effects aren't there otherwise it's the movie, oh yeah the extra 14 minutes they later went and filmed aren't in there either but overall it's suppose to be god awful. I mean really bad. Deadpool fans are in for a major disappointment.

Also it has some Batman Begin music in one scene according to those who watched it, go figure.

So you're a sadist who hates Deadpool fans?

Maybe the negative buzz will delay the film and force a major overhaul.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Really? I've heard it's not a bad movie, aside from the Deadpool butchery which everyone knows about. Plus, you don't know what's going to be in those 15 minutes.

Faynor on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I like both Deadpool and Deadpool fans, they're both crazy and lets face it, it's better to be crazy than normal.

Sadly I doubt the buzz will do anything to save this film, I've yet to see one positive reaction from those who watched the work print. Have yet to see it myself so can't say it's as bad as they say but considering all the news that came out about the film so far I'm having a hard time believing it can be anything but what is being said thus far.

Those extra 14 minutes supposedly add a lot more Deadpool into the movie which is good in a way since the actor nails him from comments made so far, sadly the movie doesn't quite nail what Deadpool himself is about and that's one of the biggest failings of the movie.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    Moment of the week.

That'd be next to impossible. There's exactly 1 month left before it's release, and they've already spent millions on marketing and such.

The funny thing is, this is one case where the movie will most likely be pretty damn true to the source and be awful precisely because of it. I can't believe they never realized that so many of Wolverine's solo adventures are just awful.

Jackman says any possible sequel would be based on the Claremont/Miller limited. I don't know how I feel about that...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To be honest, I think if the worst thing the film does is butcher an (albeit popular) supporting character, it's not that bad. They could do worse and give Wolverine a gun that shoots real wolverines and that's how he got his name or something. Come to think of it, a machine gun launching

wolverine.jpg

these, might not be that bad!

Again, I haven't seen it, but surely there's room for him to be fixed for a subsequent appearance if one were so inclined.

Faynor on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My MotW was definitely Iron Man. Pepper Potts totally stole the show with her new super hero antics.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Regarding Iron Man:
    When did Namor get his wings back on his feet? Why does nothing ever stick these days anymore?

Pepper having a suit that can't hurt anyone is a nice touch.

Agents of Atlas #3 was good as well (Sentry casually hurls the Mandarin's son into the ocean in a joke panel), but they already have three artist on the book in 3 issues. What the fuck. And Cap only appeared for one page, another misleading cover Marvel has been doing recently.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    ALL MUST DIE IN HONOR OF THE RETURN OF SEAGUY!

i seriously didn't even know this was actually in production until there it was

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    ALL MUST DIE IN HONOR OF THE RETURN OF SEAGUY!

i seriously didn't even know this was actually in production until there it was

Someone posted the first two pages here a long time ago, and they were amazing.

I picked up the trade of the original series plus the new issue today, and soooooooo good.

Wiki says there'll be a 3rd series after this one. I hope the wait time isn't too crazy.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My MotW was reading the Scott and Jean comic at the end of "Finals".

Splurch

kfrooster on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah any scene involving the Gorgon in Secret Warriors was fantastic. The scene where
    Gorgon actually withstands Phobos's fear power by pointing out he'd "been dead and reborn, nothing scares me now" was epic.

I need to re-read the Wolverine: Enemy of State and Weapon of SHIELD trades now.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    My MotW was reading the Scott and Jean comic at the end of "Finals".

Splurch

Coleen Coover's Man Thing was aww so kewte.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My anti-moment was Flash: Rebirth.

One emo Flash? Okay.. I can deal. Two? Well... fine... but seriously, all four of them?? Seriously, this wasn't a Rebirth, it was a wake.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Loved War of Kings #2, Cable #13, & Iron Man #12. Deadpool wasn't bad either, nice to see Taskmaster in the pages of Deadpool again (I'm still bitter they changed from his Udon outfit to his old pirate outfit, his Udon one was way more believable/practical).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    So, how about some Fables?

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Spider-Man was kinda lame, and not just because it featured the Fantastic Four. All the effort to re-hide his identity and now theres like 12 people who know.

He seems to be aware of what he did though, he lashed out at Flame Boy when he questioned him on it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »
    So, how about some Fables?

It didn't come out this week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spider-Man was kinda lame, and not just because it featured the Fantastic Four. All the effort to re-hide his identity and now theres like 12 people who know.

He seems to be aware of what he did though, he lashed out at Flame Boy when he questioned him on it.
    Having the Avengers and the F4 know your identity is slightly different than the entire world, including your enemies, knowing it too.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Am I the only one who picked up the Marvel Assistant Sized Spectacular?

Because it was so damn good you guys. It's composed of three stories, and a framing sequence between each story. The setup for the issue is that the assistant editors at Marvel get tired of having their plot pitches ignored by the senior editors, so they all meet in secret to tell stories to each other.

For four bucks you get the framing sequence story, written by Chris Eliopoulos, the American Eagle story by Jason Aaron that was previously available online, a great D-Man story set in Iraq, and a hilarious Mini Marvels featuring Hawkeye, Dr. Strange, and the Avengers. I'll scan a few pages later, but it's probably my favorite thing I bought this week.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mini Marvels only please.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Iroh wrote: »

Having the Avengers and the F4 know your identity is slightly different than the entire world, including your enemies, knowing it too.

Unless Iron man was on the avenger at the same time as you.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "I dub thee King of Archaeology!"

Darklyre on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

But the MOTW for me was JSA #25:
    The wizard Shazam returns after Jay frees him from the Rock of Finality, and he takes back Adam's power, as well as Isis, Mary's and Billy's (Billy turns into "Black Billy" for a bit. Not, you know, black, but a dark Marvel version. It wasn't as bad as Mary Marvel's was.

He also turns Teth Adam and Adrianna (Isis) into statues, and disappears, threatening to go after Freddy Freeman and his "different" magic (someone care to explain that? I didn't read Trials of Shazam), leaving Billy and Mary no access to the Rock of Eternity.

Also, the JSA cuts no members, and Atom Smasher returns. Very good issue, with Ordway art.

Sorry about the spoiler tags, my bad, really. but hey, here's a scan for you to show if it's true or not:
    jsa25.jpg

The short version is that Freddy had to earn the magic of SHAZAM, only its a different group of magic gods than what the wizard Shazam had used.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess Iron Man with Pepp getting heroic was my moment for the week. Her suit is interesting, especially the mask. Seeing it close up and from several angles, it's a pretty bold change from Tony's hat collection.

Other than that ... I like the art in Cable again, but Stryfe is corny and someone on these forums recently predicted a return to the 90s. I am now convinced they were right. I want to like Deadpool but I doubt I'll keep picking it up monthly. Secret Warriors isn't bad, but nothing about it really grabs me. Dark Reign fantastic four has potential. I think I am going to scan Ben Grimm with monocle for my user picture this evening. "'Tis the hour of clobbering!"

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    All I know is that every single one of them is a huge dick.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I quite like the new DCU blog, actually.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That Power Girl preview in the back pages of Flash Rebirth was terrible. Most of the dialogue was cliche, and her internal monologue was really heavy handed. He could have gotten the same point across with way less words.

And Oh No! Giant Robots attack New York City.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Seems a lot like press releases as opposed to actual blog content so far. Like, there's no opinions or anything associated with the articles. Just stuff they usually forward to CBR or Newsarama. I like the look of it and The Source is a great title for it though.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    That Power Girl preview in the back pages of Flash Rebirth was terrible. Most of the dialogue was cliche, and her internal monologue was really heavy handed. He could have gotten the same point across with way less words.

And Oh No! Giant Robots attack New York City.

I kept thinking someone was playing a little too much Bioshock when I saw those designs.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Seems a lot like press releases as opposed to actual blog content so far. Like, there's no opinions or anything associated with the articles. Just stuff they usually forward to CBR or Newsarama. I like the look of it and The Source is a great title for it though.
    I am expecting someone to use that potential, of course. It's only the second day.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    I kept thinking someone was playing a little too much Bioshock when I saw those designs.

Yeah, me too. Those robots look like they are Big Daddy inspired.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Odd... I actually didn't make it past the first page of the Power Girl mini... I'll have to go back and... you know, turn it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'